Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's not a few. It's thousands. Arklow was mobbed last weekend and so was Kerry. Galway too. People were driving down in the middle of the night to avoid the cops. And they had been pulling them in by the dozen on the N11 on Thursday evening. You think people are going to not stop for petrol or a can of coke on the way to the golf course? Because you think so?
    It's not my special case. Its the case with tens of thousands of households around the country. You were talking about your proximity to your golf club. There's a difference of infinite scale between the two. Don't try and argue otherwise, it's just stupid.

You lost me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    That's the perfect senario not reality, for that to work perfectly NOBODY AT ALL moves outside their locality, That's not feasible

So because we can't do 100% we do nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    That's the perfect senario not reality, for that to work perfectly NOBODY AT ALL moves outside their locality, That's not feasible
    It actually is. The standard growth curve for covid-19 is +33% per day. Every day. Or to put it another way; an infected person will infect another every three days. You may still get some transmission with the current lockdown, but once you get the transmission rate down to something like sub 20% it will die out naturally. This is also helped by completely quarantining infected households. Last time I checked our figures, we were running at an average of 25%.

You lost me.
    Well it's not going anywhere, so you can always read it again. ;)

Well it's not going anywhere, so you can always read it again. ;)

But my proximity to my club doesn't matter. Its anecdotal. I shouldn't have mentioned it. It plays no role in the argument.
    And now that I think of it, there's probably 10s of thousand of people living close to their golf club too. :)

• Advertisement

But my proximity to my club doesn't matter. Its anecdotal. I shouldn't have mentioned it. It plays no role in the argument.
    And now that I think of it, there's probably 10s of thousand of people living close to their golf club too. :)
    Yeah. Basically all clubs have at least 100 of their members living within 2km. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Everyone lashing into each other. I wanna get stuck in too but I don't know whats the argument is?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

The need to save the economy and promote safe social activities to boost mental health and well being puts golf in a great position to be ready to play by mid May next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

I'm just happy that a loosening of restrictions has started around the world and that golf will be back sooner rather than later. Germany, Austria, US, Denmark and Spain are all starting to open up and we won't be far behind. I'd say after May 5th there will be some easing of restrictions and hopefully golf will be included. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'll be back on the golf course if golf is part of the easing up, no question.

My mental health has taken a hammering over the past few weeks and getting out on the course is a great way for me to combat the various bouts of anxiety I suffer on a regular basis. I need the golf and there's only so much chipping you can do around the garden :D

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    I'll be back on the golf course if golf is part of the easing up, no question.

I think most of us are in the same boat. If we are told it is ok then we will do so.

Those that have taken up fishing in the meantime we'll it's hard to know what they will do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

as soon as we get the green light I'll be back out there
    the club is a 5min walk away, so near but yet so far at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭blue note

I'll certainly be going out once I can. I think golf is largely halted for aesthetics as much as actual risk. Once you put in a few measures to limit contact there's very little risk really. I think cycling is the same but even more so. You have to stop it because if you don't people will see the golfers and cyclists and think well if they can do that I can go on my hike / fishing / meet my friend if I keep my distance / whatever. If they weren't strict on what they stop people would take advantage and essentially you'd keep the spread going.

And I'm also susceptible to marketing. Corballis and tramore are peppering my Facebook feed with pristine pictures of the courses. I'm dying to get out on them before someone (other than me) hacks them up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

blue note wrote: »
    I'll certainly be going out once I can. I think golf is largely halted for aesthetics as much as actual risk. Once you put in a few measures to limit contact there's very little risk really. I think cycling is the same but even more so. You have to stop it because if you don't people will see the golfers and cyclists and think well if they can do that I can go on my hike / fishing / meet my friend if I keep my distance / whatever. If they weren't strict on what they stop people would take advantage and essentially you'd keep the spread going.

And I'm also susceptible to marketing. Corballis and tramore are peppering my Facebook feed with pristine pictures of the courses. I'm dying to get out on them before someone (other than me) hacks them up!

Precisely, its sentiment over and above the tangible risk. It's a nation wide effort because some activities which are in a similar purview to golf such as gyms are exponentially higher risk.

People dissecting the risk involved in golf and complaining that the risk does not justify closure are completely missing the point of the measures at an overarching level.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

blue note wrote: »

At last someone speaking a bit of sense.
    As soon as we are allowed I will be on the golf course. I will also support the bar/restaurant if I think it's safe. On the way I will probably stop for petrol/coffee if I think it's safe.
    Once the authorities say it's safe I will do my best to return to some semblance of normality with due care of course.
    One thing I will try to do is try buy Irish.
    China is out from now on.
    Maybe when we are allowed back to golf the clubs could be seen going over and above by supplying a spray sanitizer at each hole.
    Nominate 1 of your football to spray the pin if you are removing it on each hole. Cost would be very little compared to the PR you would gain.

Precisely, its sentiment over and above the tangible risk. It's a nation wide effort because some activities which are in a similar purview to golf such as gyms are exponentially higher risk.

People dissecting the risk involved in golf and complaining that the risk does not justify closure are completely missing the point of the measures at an overarching level.

Thats not quite true, at least not in my case.

I fully understand the sentiment and nationwide effort and the ripple effect if you made exceptions for certain sports. I don't think anyone is in disagreement with the government's measures at the moment.

But when restrictions will ease there will be certain sports that will be less risky than others. Golf will be one of those where risk can be mitigated quite easily. I think we can agree on that.

So the points I made must be looked at in the light of that please. I didnt actually say this is bollix lets go play golf now.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Everyone lashing into each other. I wanna get stuck in too but I don't know whats the argument is?

We're all just frustrated with the whole thing. It comes out differently in each of us. Nice to blow off some steam in a good shouting match, too.

Saw part of a press conference that Angela Merkel gave the other day. She was saying that according to their modelling, if one infected person infects 1.1 other people on average, the German hospitals would cope until October. If it's 1.2, they would cope until the end of July. If it's 1.3, they would only be able to cope until June. Those are incredibly fine margins.

But is it not an illusion to think that we could operate under the curve until we have a vaccine? That could take years we are being told. We need a strategy to come back sooner than that. Whether its with masks or with different rules for different demographics or whatever it may be. Printing money will only get us so far, will it not?

Edit: A little bit of boards during my lunch break. A little bit of chipping, too. Although I think the back garden chipping thing is doing me no good. The grass is fairly rough. So every chip that looks good in my back garden would be 10 metres over the back of the green in real life.
    Must do a course inspection later on as my daily exercise. Surely the place must be looking like Augusta already.

But is it not an illusion to think that we could operate under the curve until we have a vaccine? That could take years we are being told. We need a strategy to come back sooner than that. Whether its with masks or with different rules for different demographics or whatever it may be. Printing money will only get us so far, will it not?
    It is very unlikely to take years. The SARS (or H1N1 - can't remember which) vaccine took 14 months from the first cases emerging. And this pandemic is much more serious and has many more teams working on a vaccine.

• Advertisement

It is very unlikely to take years. The SARS (or H1N1 - can't remember which) vaccine took 14 months from the first cases emerging. And this pandemic is much more serious and has many more teams working on a vaccine.

From what I've read the vaccine is not the problem, There are several release candidates floating already. Its apparently the testing cycle that they can't take shortcuts with.

From what I've read the vaccine is not the problem, There are several release candidates floating already. Its apparently the testing cycle that they can't take shortcuts with.
    Yes. But there are at least two that are already in testing and that's very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I don’t think that the SARS vaccine, which took over 2 years to develop, was ever fully tested and approved. The virus had run it’s course and died out before the vaccine became available for widespread testing.
    There are a lot of claims being made about a vaccine for Convid becoming available in a matter of months. I wouldn’t be too optimistic about that. I think it’s more likely that a good treatment will be found first. I hope so anyway. Maybe I’m just clutching at straws. I can’t wait to get back out playing, especially with the weather being the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The reality is that things will have to reopen to some degree or else there won't be anything left to go back to. There's only so much cash the government can give throwing out willynilly.

I think we'll be back next month but under strict rules, maybe even wearing masks and in 2 balls.

We're all just frustrated with the whole thing.

Totally incorrect.
    It comes out differently in each of us.

Ridiculous, where your sources?
    Nice to blow off some steam in a good shouting match, too.

This is just plain factually incorrect. Arguments are incoherent and poorly constructed.

Joking aside I don't think there's an actual single point that people disagree on.

GUI calls the shots under advice from the government. We're not long away from getting back on the course again.

Conditions may be different though, hearing that in countries where golf is opening back up courses are allowing two balls only. Our course wouldn't get everyone out. It may start to get very tricky getting a tee time!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

I think most courses will be members only, so the lack of visitors/societies should help members getting out in 2 balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Joking aside I don't think there's an actual single point that people disagree on.

GUI calls the shots under advice from the government. We're not long away from getting back on the course again.

Conditions may be different though, hearing that in countries where golf is opening back up courses are allowing two balls only. Our course wouldn't get everyone out. It may start to get very tricky getting a tee time!

It'll be interesting on a course by course basis as different courses rely on different business models.

Some courses run at an economic loss anyway but are subsidised by a hotel for example. Others rely heavily on an active bar/restaurant trade.

When courses reopen some may suffer far more than others as the primary driver of revenue outside of memberships may be impacted differently.

Some courses may push to open additional facilities sooner than others because of economics even if it's not the most prudent thing from a health perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I was thinking that too and then I remembered I'll not be going on a 2 week sun holiday this summer so can redistribute those annual leave days to midweek golf days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Glebee

What the bets the weather will break as soon as we get the green light:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement