Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

This 5km limit is just for phase 1. Phase 2 is 20km 3 weeks later on 8th June all going plan. I reckon the gui won't make any exceptions for phase 1 as it would be a pr nightmare if they were found to be advising members/clubs contrary to the government plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Well the way I look at it is, if the government has seemed it OK for me to return to work on the 18th and drive however far that is to carry out my (non essential work) and let's face facts there are very few essential types of work at this time, to mix with people and members of the public (that's what is going to happen) Driving up to my golf club after work doesn't cut the mustard and nobody can say any different, it's either black or white..Can someone honestly tell me that going to work on the 18th (non essential remember) is deemed to be safe and ok but travelling 1 km outside 5km limit is not just because in all probability I'll be playing on my own...I'm sure the whiter than white people will have something to say but you know what I'm not listening to you

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Well the way I look at it is, if the government has seemed it OK for me to return to work on the 18th and drive however far that is to carry out my (non essential work) and let's face facts there are very few essential types of work at this time, to mix with people and members of the public (that's what is going to happen) Driving up to my golf club after work doesn't cut the mustard and nobody can say any different, it's either black or white..Can someone honestly tell me that going to work on the 18th (non essential remember) is deemed to be safe and ok but travelling 1 km outside 5km limit is not just because in all probability I'll be playing on my own...I'm sure the whiter than white people will have something to say but you know what I'm not listening to you

:D

I couldn't be further from whiter than white - but I do understand the actions and how they control community transmission.

I don't think the 5 km will hold out myself , but there is good logic to it (IMO) - if I ignore being a golfer , or selfish reasons for a second.

The distance is a way of containing transmission to a certain area in a community, it also restricts your contact with people.

Golf being a perfect example; (i'll be imaginative for a second)- I do agree single golf is probably the best way to start - but will not be room for that.

Just say where your course is has very very low covid cases and their infamous transmission rate is tiny.

This absolute clown , who has no care, training, or awareness of good Covid practice - is a member of say Trim, he is from a housing estate in Dublin where people are "riddled with it" - but you know "he feels grand", joined Trim as was dirt cheap, only problem is " the culchies, ha ha" - he jumps in car , unwashed , 5.1 km from his house , he see a Supermacs - class, nothing like a taco chips after 14 cans last night. He spreads his filthy hands everywhere , then pisses all over the seat in the jaxs. He then heads to Trim and mixes with the locals , talking, joking , has a bit of a cough from the cans "I think". Hugs a few people - "only joking".
    He then stops in a petrol station , still coughing and gets served by a daughter of a high risk parent, picks a Boost and can of Red Bull , but goes back and fumbles in the fridge over about 20 icecreams.

2 weeks later for some reason the cases in trim are flying up again and the ICU locally is full. Your man hears word and says - "**** em, only boggers anyway"

I know I'm being a bit too Good will Hunting there , but restriction of movement works. There is not point in us all fooling ourselves.

Your job is absolutely a risk - but it is viewed certain actions are required to return the economy to a degree of normal , but only in a controlled and sequential way , responding to what happens with each action as testing continues and infection rate is known closer to real time.

People are getting their knickers in a twist , over a few edge cases - we are in a global pandemic - golf is coming back, relax for a while - read a book , go for a 31.4 Km cycle in a circle on Tuesday Morning

You need strict rules - because you can not trust people , I'd be surprised if your work is not changed a bit when you go back - most jobs have changed dramatically.

Work is necessary - golf isn't , but we are on the way back.

Anyway - (to joke for a second)

Any golfer worth anything , should be in the course next to them - we are saying that years here.

Serves you right - joke.

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I'm new to golf and not a member anywhere yet. The course I want to become a member of is more than 5k from me but there is a course less than 5k from me. I appreciate the first week will be bedlam with most members wanting to play multiple days that week probably but hopefully it'll settle down quickly and courses could open time slots for non members by week 2. I hope so anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Bear in minds folks that the 5Km is a radius, not a linear road distance. My golf club is well within a 5Km radius of my house but over 5Km by road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Any golfer worth anything , should be in the course next to them - we are saying that years here.

Serves you right - joke.

Lol.

so this month i will be 31 years a member of greystones. don't live there now (as you know), but should i really conducer giving it up because i live 40 minutes away now?

Serves you right - joke.

Lol.

Really enjoy your input to these "Debates" as they are both incisive and well constructed and the one that hits home now is and has been known for a long time is "The best golf club to join is the one closest to you" it has never rung truer than it does today..I've been talking to a pal of mine today who is a Garda and a golfer (3 hc) and he laughed when I suggested that a checkpoint outside his club would unveil a lot of "Breaking the Law" to which he replied " Don't think that will happen somehow ""

Seve OB wrote: »
    so this month i will be 31 years a member of greystones. don't live there now (as you know), but should i really conducer giving it up because i live 40 minutes away now?

Jaysus - Seve, I think you know that was a joke.

Maybe people are not in the humour for jokes - but it the overall context a few weeks without golf has to be considered, well , well down the list. I accept that is a subjective thing.

When will people outside the 5 k be able to play ?

I'm absolutely delighted it is coming back this summer in some form.

I would not be a particular fan of having to book every round - 6 to 9 holes on my own is 80% + of my golf, that will not be possible for a good good while .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Bear in minds folks that the 5Km is a radius, not a linear road distance. My golf club is well within a 5Km radius of my house but over 5Km by road.

That's exactly my dilemma. I'm 4 km from my course but it's a 22 km drive there. While I'm playing I'm okay but if I'm stopped to or from the course I'm in breach of the rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

willabur wrote: »
    That's exactly my dilemma. I'm 4 km from my course but it's a 22 km drive there. While I'm playing I'm okay but if I'm stopped to or from the course I'm in breach of the rules
    Walk there... Through fields and on water....thats some drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

willabur wrote: »

Do you live on a peninsula?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

I wonder if insurance cover could be a problem. If our friend who drove to Trim in an earlier post slips coming off the first tee and injures himself,is he covered by club insurance policy.
    Surely the insurance company will say that he was breaking the law by driving more than 5Km and refuse cover.
    Would the club then be liable as they allowed him out in the first place.

I wonder if insurance cover could be a problem. If our friend who drove to Trim in an earlier post slips coming off the first tee and injures himself,is he covered by club insurance policy.
    Surely the insurance company will say that he was breaking the law by driving more than 5Km and refuse cover.
    Would the club then be liable as they allowed him out in the first place.

Sure why would you claim in the 1st place..oh I get it COMPO CULTURE

By rights club committees should be proactive in informing their members of what the limitations are. Along the lines of specifying what villages, townlands or localities are within the 5Km radius and advise them that those living outside these areas are not permitted to play until the 20Km rule comes in.

By rights club committees should be proactive in informing their members of what the limitations are. Along the lines of specifying what villages, townlands or localities are within the 5Km radius and advise them that those living outside these areas are not permitted to play until the 20Km rule comes in.

They can inform but it shouldn't be up to clubs to police it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I think committees will have enough work to be doing trying to get clubs back on the path to financial stability.

This really has to place the onus on the individual member. They will know if they are outside the 5km. Self responsibility.

Otherwise it is just a mess. Could you imagine the messages committees would get "I'm actually 4.9km from the club, how dare you say otherwise."
    "I have changed address recently, I am inside the 5km" etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

:D

I couldn't be further from whiter than white - but I do understand the actions and how they control community transmission.

I don't think the 5 km will hold out myself , but there is good logic to it (IMO) - if I ignore being a golfer , or selfish reasons for a second.

The distance is a way of containing transmission to a certain area in a community, it also restricts your contact with people.

Golf being a perfect example; (i'll be imaginative for a second)- I do agree single golf is probably the best way to start - but will not be room for that.

Just say where your course is has very very low covid cases and their infamous transmission rate is tiny.

This absolute clown , who has no care, training, or awareness of good Covid practice - is a member of say Trim, he is from a housing estate in Dublin where people are "riddled with it" - but you know "he feels grand", joined Trim as was dirt cheap, only problem is " the culchies, ha ha" - he jumps in car , unwashed , 5.1 km from his house , he see a Supermacs - class, nothing like a taco chips after 14 cans last night. He spreads his filthy hands everywhere , then pisses all over the seat in the jaxs. He then heads to Trim and mixes with the locals , talking, joking , has a bit of a cough from the cans "I think". Hugs a few people - "only joking".
    He then stops in a petrol station , still coughing and gets served by a daughter of a high risk parent, picks a Boost and can of Red Bull , but goes back and fumbles in the fridge over about 20 icecreams.

2 weeks later for some reason the cases in trim are flying up again and the ICU locally is full. Your man hears word and says - "**** em, only boggers anyway"

I know I'm being a bit too Good will Hunting there , but restriction of movement works. There is not point in us all fooling ourselves.

Your job is absolutely a risk - but it is viewed certain actions are required to return the economy to a degree of normal , but only in a controlled and sequential way , responding to what happens with each action as testing continues and infection rate is known closer to real time.

People are getting their knickers in a twist , over a few edge cases - we are in a global pandemic - golf is coming back, relax for a while - read a book , go for a 31.4 Km cycle in a circle on Tuesday Morning

You need strict rules - because you can not trust people , I'd be surprised if your work is not changed a bit when you go back - most jobs have changed dramatically.

Work is necessary - golf isn't , but we are on the way back.

Think you got the bones of a rollicking short story there !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Golfhead65 wrote: »

The issue is that if insurance won't cover it the club could be liable which could finish many a club.

There is a compo culture out there but people are well within their rights to make a claim for genunine cases such at being at a financial loss or suffering a life changing injury due to someone else's neglect. There's a lot of bogus claims out there but there are some genunine too.

HighLine wrote: »
    I think committees will have enough work to be doing trying to get clubs back on the path to financial stability.

This really has to place the onus on the individual member. They will know if they are outside the 5km. Self responsibility.

Otherwise it is just a mess. Could you imagine the messages committees would get "I'm actually 4.9km from the club, how dare you say otherwise."
    "I have changed address recently, I am inside the 5km" etc. etc.
    I didn't suggest what you seem to be implying here. I said they should inform members of the likely areas in their locality that would fall within the 5Km zone. That achieves two objectives. It informs members that the rule exists and how it is applied and it leaves them to self-police based on the information. If people want to ignore that, they can. But most members would know roughly where others live and it could be quite uncomfortable for people who flaunt the rules. There's an article in teh Irish Times sepcifically on this and how it will impact golf. So it's not me making stuff up here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Do you live on a peninsula?

Corballis ����

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

It's got nothing to do with compo culture. Accidents do happen even in golf courses and genuine claims can be made even for basic medical expenses etc.
    My query is if you have broken the law by travelling more than 5 Km to play golf, will the insurance company pay out in the event of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I would put a rough guess that well over 50 per cent of my club don't live in side 5k. Can't see how this is going to be adhered to.

I would put a rough guess that well over 50 per cent of my club don't live in side 5k. Can't see how this is going to be adhered to.

It won't be. Lads have been effectively house-bound for a long time and most will travel to the course regardless of distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

I didn't suggest what you seem to be implying here. I said they should inform members of the likely areas in their locality that would fall within the 5Km zone. That achieves two objectives. It informs members that the rule exists and how it is applied and it leaves them to self-police based on the information.
    IF PEOPLE WANT TO IGNORE THEY CAN. BUT MOST MEMBERS WOULD KNOW ROUGHLY WHERE OTHERS LIVE AND IT COULD BE QUIET UNCOMFORTABLE FOR PEOPLE WHO FLAUNT THE RULES.
    There's an article in teh Irish Times sepcifically on this and how it will impact golf. So it's not me making stuff up here.

Everything you say is right within the letter of the law as it stands but God Almighty with comments like this the whole Country is on a slippery slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

HighLine wrote: »

Your man that took the video seemed like a bit of a k***. If he wanted to report he should have rather than threatening him with youtube.

That being said not great PR for the owner/club. Should have shown some solidarity with the members and forgone golf for the few weeks,defiantly shouldn't have been inviting his mates, if he actually did.

This is the Irish Times article on the subject. I wouldn't consider it gospel as he seems to confuse radius with distance and flips between the two. But the main thrust is that it looks like it will be down to golf clubs to police this. Which is pretty much what I said above.

An example of this confusion:
    A strong indication of the challenges facing many clubs is that of Rathdowney Golf Club, in Co Laois, who pointed out that only nine of its membership lives within the 5km radius!

Here’s another one: say you’re a member of The Island Golf Club in Donabate, Co Dublin, and living in Malahide, which comprises a large contingent of its membership base? The distance from one location to the other (across the estuary) is a couple of hundred metres. But, to actually get from one to the other necessitates a road trip of 13km.

A spokesperson for the Department of Health confirmed to The Irish Times that only essential journeys can exceed the 5km travel limits and that going to play golf does not come under that remit.

The actual guidance from the Department of Health refers to radius rather than linear road distance.

Your man that took the video seemed like a bit of a k***. If he wanted to report he should have rather than threatening him with youtube.

That being said not great PR for the owner/club. Should have shown some solidarity with the members and forgone golf for the few weeks,defiantly shouldn't have been inviting his mates, if he actually did.

If he is the owner and lives on the course then I don't see that it's worth everyone getting their knickers in a twist over. People need to rein in the rage a bit.

• Advertisement

Obviously not statistically definitive, but Kevin Markham ran a poll to see how many people live within the 5Km radius of their golf club. Out of 855 respondents (a significant number) 45% said they did. Quite surprising that it was that many.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement