Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Obviously not statistically definitive, but Kevin Markham ran a poll to see how many people live within the 5Km radius of their golf club. Out of 855 respondents (a significant number) 45% said they did. Quite surprising that it was that many.

Very surprised by this result. Anecdotal evidence would strongly suggest otherwise. I wonder how "large" the sample was

The question was worded as "how many of us will have the opportunity to play golf from 18th May" Slightly open to interpretation anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Very surprised by this result. Anecdotal evidence would strongly suggest otherwise. I wonder how "large" the sample was

The question was worded as "how many of us will have the opportunity to play golf from 18th May" Slightly open to interpretation anyone ?
    "Do you live within 5Km of your Golf club?" doesn't seem to be open to interpretation. And it was 855 respondents. As I said in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

For those interested, this tool is a useful guide.

https://2kmfromhome.com/5km/

Drop a pin in your club and you'll get a 5k radius around it. Will be very limited in my club

• Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Could a poll be added here to see how many live within a 5km radius of the course they're a member of?

Can see people not adhering to it, especially in the countryside. From looking at my own course, it seems a lot will be within the 5k, and itd be easy to get out anyway. Very different for my dad though who may have to wait a few weeks longer, and hes already struggling with it all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Mushy wrote: »
    Could a poll be added here to see how many live within a 5km radius of the course they're a member of?

Can see people not adhering to it, especially in the countryside. From looking at my own course, it seems a lot will be within the 5k, and itd be easy to get out anyway. Very different for my dad though who may have to wait a few weeks longer, and hes already struggling with it all.
    Good idea, poll added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    It's funny how all the experts are saying to wash your hands, I would have thought people would do that anyhow..it's after you wash your hands is the problem,what do you do ....put your hand on a filthy door handle....Carbolic soap is your only man and vinyl gloves after to open the door and bin them outside..a bit off topic I know but that's my tuppence worth

Just wedge doors open?

For those interested, this tool is a useful guide.

https://2kmfromhome.com/5km/

Drop a pin in your club and you'll get a 5k radius around it. Will be very limited in my club
    You can do the same with Google Earth using the measuring tool and the circle tab in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Id strongly advise anybody who wants to guarantee a game of golf before August to play on the 18th of May, or the 19th at the latest. Because the level of non-compliance with the 5k travel limit that will be reported after those first couple of days is going to be such that the GUI will come under huge pressure to reimpose blanket shudown.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

willabur wrote: »
    Corballis ����

There must be a few memebrs of the island living in Malahide that can see the course from there house but would be a 12k drive from it , they will need to get the boat back again.

Id strongly advise anybody who wants to guarantee a game of golf before August to play on the 18th of May, or the 19th at the latest. Because the level of non-compliance with the 5k travel limit that will be reported after those first couple of days is going to be such that the GUI will come under huge pressure to reimpose blanket shudown.
    The GUI are going to publish recommendations this week. I suspect that they will be very clear about what should happen on the 18th and what clubs should do. I'd wait until then before advising people on what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

if we are all going to follow the restrictions, i think it might help to save a few clubs. I only have 1 course within 5ks of the house and i plan on playing it at least 3 or 4 times in the 3 week period until the next phase launches.
    That is much needed funds that that club could do with.
    If everyone pays green fees to their nearest club then clubs get an opportunity to get vital cash that they perhaps wouldnt if we could all travel to our "home" club.

regardless i am just dying to get out!

Another option for clubs is to offer mini subs, Carton House is very close to me (but just outside the 5k) if they offered unlimited golf for 2 or 300 for the 3 week period they could make a small fortune in guaranteed revenue. Of course those figures are finger in the air stuff, but you get the gist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

The GUI are going to publish recommendations this week. I suspect that they will be very clear about what should happen on the 18th and what clubs should do. I'd wait until then before advising people on what to do.

Indeed. Will be very interesting to see what they come up with. They've already mooted banning comps without any logical reasoning; maybe that means all their intellectual prowess has been taken up with squaring this particular circle!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

All the members in my club that can go are going to go on the 18th regardless.
    Hopefully the golfers don't end up being the new "Cheltenham" type scapegoats for the Twitter mafia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Carazy wrote: »
    All the members in my club that can go are going to go on the 18th regardless.
    Hopefully the golfers don't end up being the new "Cheltenham" type scapegoats for the Twitter mafia.

I'd imagine beaches reopening will get the most attention if the weather sticks. Queue pictures of overcrowded beaches with lines of traffic on approach roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭enricoh

What's the story with pay and play courses with no members anyone know? Also are driving ranges back on the 18th? Thanks

enricoh wrote: »
    What's the story with pay and play courses with no members anyone know? Also are driving ranges back on the 18th? Thanks
    We don't yet. I assume this will be covered by the GUI recommendations when they're published. I'd venture a guess that driving ranges are not included as they aren't golf courses. Unless they're part of a golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I’d be surprised if ranges are opened. I think most golf courses will only be open to members, no random people like a range.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Are there any courses that are pure Pay&Play? I'm not aware of any. The likes of Grange Castle, which is technically a Pay&play has a sizeable membership too

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

If you can’t drive anywhere for a non-essential trip at the moment will it be only those golfers that can walk to their club within 5km that can play?

With 2km restrictions at the moment, you can’t drive for 1km and park and walk a further 1km, technically.

So at 5km a drive to play golf is surely still non-essential?

If you can’t drive anywhere for a non-essential trip at the moment will it be only those golfers that can walk to their club within 5km that can play?

With 2km restrictions at the moment, you can’t drive for 1km and park and walk a further 1km, technically.

So at 5km a drive to play golf is surely still non-essential?
    What? :confused:

• Advertisement

Well put another way - ‘avoid all unnecessary journeys’ is one of the restrictions, so how will going to play golf be a necessary journey however far away you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Well put another way - ‘avoid all unnecessary journeys’ is one of the restrictions, so how will going to play golf be a necessary journey however far away you live?

It’s part of the phase.
    Restrictions are being eased

And taking exercise is a necessary activity. There was never a requirement that you had to walk to your 2Km limit. You could drive to a park for example.

Phase 2 from 8th June from Gov.ie:

‘The advice will be to still avoid unnecessary journeys wherever possible.

You will be able to travel up to 20 kilometres away from your home as opposed to the 5 kilometre limit which was in place since 5 May.’

How is travelling to play golf a necessary journey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Of course it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

if we are all going to follow the restrictions, i think it might help to save a few clubs. I only have 1 course within 5ks of the house and i plan on playing it at least 3 or 4 times in the 3 week period until the next phase launches.
    If everyone pays green fees to their nearest club then clubs get an opportunity to get vital cash that they perhaps wouldnt if we could all travel to our "home" club.

from reading your post you don't seem to be a member of the club within the 5km of your house, maybe i'm picking it up wrong though?

if i'm correct though, you can't play it at all, let alone 3 or 4 times a week. green fees aren't allowed.... its golf for member only by the reports i've read..... unless i'm mistaken again?

Phase 2 from 8th June from Gov.ie:

‘The advice will be to still avoid unnecessary journeys wherever possible.

You will be able to travel up to 20 kilometres away from your home as opposed to the 5 kilometre limit which was in place since 5 May.’

Because the government advice says so. If they say golf clubs can open, then by definition you can travel to them within the restricted zone of your home. This isn't difficult stuff to understand. And as I said above, exercise is a necessary activity. It has been from the start. The vital part of these restrictions is to maintain community integrity and not have cross-community infections breaking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Another option for clubs is to offer mini subs, Carton House is very close to me (but just outside the 5k) if they offered unlimited golf for 2 or 300 for the 3 week period they could make a small fortune in guaranteed revenue. Of course those figures are finger in the air stuff, but you get the gist.

It will be members only for the first few weeks after May 18th.

But in terms of clubs offering deals on memberships.. I can see that happening. It would definitely help them recover from the financial stress they are and will go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Is the poll 5km radius or by road? I voted yes as I'm within 5km radius but more than that by road

• Advertisement

Because the government advice says so. If they say golf clubs can open, then by definition you can travel to them within the restricted zone of your home. This isn't difficult stuff to understand. And as I said above, exercise is a necessary activity. It has been from the start. The vital part of these restrictions is to maintain community integrity and not have cross-community infections breaking out.

Golf courses are not opening for the purpose of exercise. it’s just part of phase 1 where things that are deemed safe to open are being opened.

Mountain walks, beaches and garden centres being opened too - not exactly essential.

If it is a necessary journey then you can travel outside of your restrictive area - like you can have since day one.

Just sickened that 3 of my fourball will be playing on 18th and I’ll have to listen to the lads telling me how the course is in such fantastic condition.

Courses should be opened for members, full stop. Plus the more golfers you have on the course the less people you have out on the footpaths or in DIY shops or up a mountain or wherever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement