Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I have to drive 25k to the supermarket. The golf course is 2k further. What is the difference in me going to the golf course than someone within 5k going. Everyone arrives by car on their own. I'm isolating like hell . Don't see the problem with some one driving in the car for 3 hours once they are not mixing with people. Golf courses are either safe to open or they are not. Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I have to drive 25k to the supermarket. The golf course is 2k further. What is the difference in me going to the golf course than someone within 5k going. Everyone arrives by car on their own. I'm isolating like hell . Don't see the problem with some one driving in the car for 3 hours once they are not mixing with people. Golf courses are either safe to open or they are not. Which is it?

I'm with you buddy, driving right behind ye, it's all for PC sake..at the end of the day if you drive 25km to the shop to probably que,Dodge everyone in line and in the isles I'm betting you have had to fuel your car so what's the lesser risk doing that or bypassing all that and turning up in the beautiful countryside, fresh air a bit of enjoyment and no threat to anyone but to some people on here you will be committing a haneaus crime and all because you can seek out a bit of enjoyment and they can't accept it...go play and fcuk the begrudgers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The problem is not with you, but with everyone doing it. In which case there's the potential to spread infection outside local areas and make tracing and isolation of infections much harder. We are currently still at a number of cases per day rate that's higher than it was when the lockdowns started. And if people break the rules, we could end up back where we started and full lockdown again. I also have to travel a good distance to my nearest supermarket (about 15km), but I only do that once a fortnight, spend as little time as possible in the shop and top up from local shops in the interim.

At least, if things go well, there is a specific date when everyone can get back on the course. And back to normal generally. Whatever that normal is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Is the poll 5km radius or by road? I voted yes as I'm within 5km radius but more than that by road

I'd have said 5km radius as that was intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

Golf courses are not opening for the purpose of exercise. it’s just part of phase 1 where things that are deemed safe to open are being opened.

Mountain walks, beaches and garden centres being opened too - not exactly essential.

If it is a necessary journey then you can travel outside of your restrictive area - like you can have since day one.

Just sickened that 3 of my fourball will be playing on 18th and I’ll have to listen to the lads telling me how the course is in such fantastic condition.

Courses should be opened for members, full stop. Plus the more golfers you have on the course the less people you have out on the footpaths or in DIY shops or up a mountain or wherever.
    prawnsambo wrote: »
    Because the government advice says so. If they say golf clubs can open, then by definition you can travel to them within the restricted zone of your home. This isn't difficult stuff to understand. And as I said above, exercise is a necessary activity. It has been from the start. The vital part of these restrictions is to maintain community integrity and not have cross-community infections breaking out.

Finally the high horse is getting a bit lower to the ground.
    If as you say Golf/Exercise is a necessary activity then are you not allowed travel outside your restricted zone for necessary activitys ?
    I hope this is kept in mind when you make playing partners uncomfortable knowing they traveled outside the 5 kms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

As golf is not essential you can’t travel outside your 5 km zone to play golf. That’s it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

A more interesting poll would be how many people will be travelling outside the restricted 5km to play golf.

I am more than 5km zone myself and I said a good bit back on this thread that I would hold off until mid June ish to play anyway so happy enough to get a game once the 20km phase is hit.

Also happy enough with the plan the government has proposed. Nice to see light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

As golf is not essential you can’t travel outside your 5 km zone to play golf. That’s it right?

Actually you’re not supposed to travel at all for anything not essential regardless of your distance restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

I am outside the 20km limit so no golf for me until the end of July.

It will be interesting to see what impact this has on the new WHS handicap. After a 4 month layoff I expect a lot of rustiness and poor scores which will form part of my initial 20 rounds.

A lot of people in the same situation could find themselves with an inflated handicap in November

Actually you’re not supposed to travel at all for anything not essential regardless of your distance restrictions.

The Question so is From the 18th of May will Golf/Exercise be deemed a Necessary/Essential activity ?
    If the answer is yes then all this discussion the past few days in null and void as you are allowed break the 5k restriction for said Necessary/Essential journeys.
    Case Closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Interested to know if any of your golf courses have reimbursement you in any way e.g added an extra month onto your due date?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Break80 wrote: »
    The Question so is From the 18th of May will Golf/Exercise be deemed a Necessary/Essential activity ?
    If the answer is yes then all this discussion the past few days in null and void as you are allowed break the 5k restriction for said Necessary/Essential journeys.
    Case Closed.

This has been said a few times already. Things will start to be opened up in two weeks, golf included. So in two weeks you will be allowed to do some things that were deemed nonessential previously. They're changing the rules in steps or phases so to speak.

In two weeks golf won't be an essential journey (ðŸ˜႒) but is allowed. Do you get this?

Finally the high horse is getting a bit lower to the ground.
    If as you say Golf/Exercise is a necessary activity then are you not allowed travel outside your restricted zone for necessary activitys ?
    I hope this is kept in mind when you make playing partners uncomfortable knowing they traveled outside the 5 kms
    I suppose it's the same as drinking and driving really. You'd turn a blind eye to that too I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

How will the 5km limit be governed? By the club on the time sheets or what? Will anybody who is outside the limit be removed? Apologies if this question was asked already.

I have 5 golf courses within the 5km limit but unfortunatly the one I'm a member of is over 20km away.

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    How will the 5km limit be governed? By the club on the time sheets or what? Will anybody who is outside the limit be removed? Apologies if this question was asked already.

I have 5 golf courses within the 5km limit but unfortunatly the one I'm a member of is over 20km away.

I can't see the club's policing this. The will probably recommend guidelines but I imagine that will be it.

Lefty2Guns wrote: »

Until the GUI issue their recommendation, we're only guessing. But an article by Philip Reid in teh Irish Times suggested that clubs would have to police it. And obviously the Gardai will be policing it with their ongoing checkpoints.

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    This has been said a few times already. Things will start to be opened up in two weeks, golf included. So in two weeks you will be allowed to do some things that were deemed nonessential previously. They're changing the rules in steps or phases so to speak.

In two weeks golf won't be an essential journey (ðŸ˜႒) but is allowed. Do you get this?

Reading back through this topic the last few weeks Everything quoted is black and white even some guy stating some of his course is inside the 5k some outside the 5k. What should he do ?
    This frankly is grey.
    18th of May I will be driving and interacting with people all over Munster in the course of my work which was deemed non essential until that day. I will of course be practicing safe hygiene to the best of my ability.
    Saturday morning I will not be able to travel to my golf course to play an allowed pastime as it is outside my restricted area.
    Looking at the poll on top almost 2/3 of the posters on here are in the same situation probably more countrywide.
    I understand the idea of isolation and have practiced it to the letter these past weeks but this was thought up without any consultation with the GUI
    It has to be allowed for all golfers or you risk people breaking laws they shouldn,t need to.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I suppose it's the same as drinking and driving really. You'd turn a blind eye to that too I'm sure.

Brilliant.

Exactly. A club is either oen to everyone or closed. Or at least that's how it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Reading back through this topic the last few weeks Everything quoted is black and white even some guy stating some of his course is inside the 5k some outside the 5k. What should he do ?
    This frankly is grey.
    18th of May I will be driving and interacting with people all over Munster in the course of my work which was deemed non essential until that day. I will of course be practicing safe hygiene to the best of my ability.
    Saturday morning I will not be able to travel to my golf course to play an allowed pastime as it is outside my restricted area.
    Looking at the poll on top almost 2/3 of the posters on here are in the same situation probably more countrywide.
    I understand the idea of isolation and have practiced it to the letter these past weeks but this was thought up without any consultation with the GUI
    It has to be allowed for all golfers or you risk people breaking laws they shouldn,t need to.

It won't be allowed because on May 18th beaches and parks will reopen also for those within 5km only.
    If ALL golfers are allowed to travel whatever distance it takes to play a pastime then all other citizens will see it as their right (just like the golfers) to head for the beaches in excess of their 5km if our weather remains good.

• Advertisement

Exactly. A club is either oen to everyone or closed. Or at least that's how it should be.

SOLUTION. Lift the 5k restriction.

If you are stopped at a checkpoint on the way to the course.
    Show them your online booking with ID.
    SIMPLES

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Seve OB wrote: »
    from reading your post you don't seem to be a member of the club within the 5km of your house, maybe i'm picking it up wrong though?

if i'm correct though, you can't play it at all, let alone 3 or 4 times a week. green fees aren't allowed.... its golf for member only by the reports i've read..... unless i'm mistaken again?

You are correct. It is a pay and play course only. No memberships.
    I'm sh1t out of luck! Until I can get out golfing I have invested in a road bike. I'm going a little bit mad here to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

An important differentiation needs to be made here with golf. This is more an economic decision rather than a return to exercising. This is the same as building sites and garden centres reopening.

Industries that can reopen safely are been permitted to do so. These phases are to kick start the economy. Builders can travel to building sites from anywhere but gofers cannot. Both are key stakeholders to its survival so should be the treated the same.

A beach, park or mountain trail can survive without people and revenue, a golf club cannot.

Membership levies are still outstanding in many clubs or at least the net to catch casual golfers as new members is there to be utilised but will be left idle and cash piles disappear.

If these travel restrictions remain in place, a golf clubs viability is at significant risk.

The idea of allocating green keeping resources to cut and roll 18 greens twice a week for 8/9 members in some case is not a viable cost model.

The anarchy of blatant flouting of the restriction will cause further tensions.

This is a disaster in the making on grounds of social, economic and mental health. There will be no winner of this lopsided model.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Does anyone know when the GUI are realising their statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

morrga wrote: »
    Membership levies are still outstanding in many clubs

This is a disaster in the making on grounds of social, economic and mental health. There will be no winner of this lopsided model.

im 31km as the bird flies away from my club. i actually paid my (expensive) subs in november last year, probably the first person in the club to pay them.

im working about 20 hours a week mainly from home at all hours, so im finding myself with lots of free time. i work in essential service, but very little revenue coming in, so my pay is cut to 30% of normal.

im not in the least bit happy that i won't be allowed play till basically august. ive nothing else to do, all the jobs have been done around the house and before i go stir crazy i was looking forward to the release of getting back out on the course.

thankfully im lucky enough to be a member of a second club which is on my doorstep, castleknock on the credits scheme. but renewal is up end of the month, and i have enough credit to play about 10 games, but my pay being cut means i won't be renewing. so i'll have to play 10 games before end may and then thats it till 20th july..........

i know my original club probably won't show any sympathy in so far as a refund of subs or reduced sub next year because i can't play for 2 months after they open. to be honest i wouldn't expect them to either, but i don't think it is fair that just because i live a bit further away that i can't play. actually in my position with no work and no income, i think for my mental health (and my families) i need the release and they need rid of me for a few hours every so often

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the GUI are realising their statement?

Sinesd Heraty, CEO ILGU, was on radio 1 today and said guidelines would be issued to clubs by Friday for dissemination to members.

Her contradiction of the 5k limit been adhered to and the benefit of mental health for golfers was quite telling from her leafy Castle golf club where many members probably reside nearby.

https://podcast.rasset.ie/podcasts/audio/2020/0504/20200504_rteradio1-newsatone-newrulesfo_c21762031_21762062_232_/20200504_rteradio1-newsatone-newrulesfo_c21762031_21762062_232_.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

I honestly think there is too much weight been given to the GUI here, as it's been said before, they can and will only make recommendations. Each and every club will and can do as they see fit as long as they fall under the measures laid out by the Government.

I think green fees should be allowed. And apart from a submission to government by the GUI, I've seen no mention of it not being allowed from the 18th. That would solve a lot of problems for people not being able to travel to their own clubs and at the same time provide some much needed income for clubs. And going by the results of Kevin Markham's and this poll, it shouldn't cause too much time sheet pressure. Clubs could set aside specific time slots for visitors to prevent this becoming a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The GUI draft of recommendations I have seen will not allow for green fees. From what I've seen they will come out with something (ridiculous IMO) like 2balls in 12 minute intervals or 3balls in 14 minute intervals. You won't even get all our active members off the tee in one day that way. Never mind green fees.

• Advertisement

The GUI draft of recommendations I have seen will not allow for green fees. From what I've seen they will come out with something (ridiculous IMO) like 2balls in 12 minute intervals or 3balls in 14 minute intervals. You won't even get all our active members off the tee in one day that way. Never mind green fees.
    Yeah. I mistakenly thought it was in a recommendation to government. But it's actually in the briefing note that was sent out to clubs on Friday and posted on GolfNet. So no green fees initially unfortunately. But since all members won't be able to play in Phase 1, the time sheet pressure you're talking about won't be a problem. Less than half (on average - may even be as low as 1/3rd) of members will be able to play anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement