Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think green fees should be allowed. And apart from a submission to government by the GUI, I've seen no mention of it not being allowed from the 18th. That would solve a lot of problems for people not being able to travel to their own clubs and at the same time provide some much needed income for clubs. And going by the results of Kevin Markham's and this poll, it shouldn't cause too much time sheet pressure. Clubs could set aside specific time slots for visitors to prevent this becoming a problem.

This would work for me. My club is about 7km as the crow flies but my son is a member of one less than 1km away. I'd gladly pay a green fee to get out on his course for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

This would work for me. My club is about 7km as the crow flies but my son is a member of one less than 1km away. I'd gladly pay a green fee to get out on his course for the next few weeks.

I would think green fees are highly unlikely in the initial phase at least.

From what I can gather it will be members only,timesheet only and all starting on the first.I think contact tracing is the rationale behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I would think green fees are highly unlikely in the initial phase at least.

From what I can gather it will be members only,timesheet only and all starting on the first.I think contact tracing is the rationale behind it.
    Yeah, unfortunately I think you're right. And the 5Km limit is there to help that as well as making sure that time sheets aren't rammed with people. Which a lot of clubs would experience if it was all members back in one go while most people are still not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

There will be no greenfees for the initial stage. From the GUI https://www.golfnet.ie/news/golfnet/4659/golf-welcomes-government-announcement-on-the-reopening-of-golf-courses

"In the initial stage, play will be for members only and competitions will not be permitted. We would ask clubs to refrain from opening timesheets for booking until the protocol is published, as it will contain vital information on group sizes and timesheet intervals."

Also I would say circa 80% of members of my club would be withing 5km of the course so the first week will be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

These are only GUI recommendations, I wonder how many will just ignore? I know Roganstown did the last time. I imagine there is a good few that'll need the green fee income asap. Don't see the risk if you take contact details online before the round.

In Regards to Driving ranges, don't think these have any GUI affiliation (beside carton house) so these can probably open with distancing measures. There is a couple of public Par3 places near me which I imagine will just open too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You can travel 6Km for exercise/allowed sports. So if you go for a walk, having travelled 5Km to where you park, how far you walk is not included. Gardai are not going to be policing your golf course with a map and a rangefinder. ;)

I don't think that's correct, you must exercise within 2km of your house.
    Otherwise I could drive 2km and then run 25km away, which would kind of defeat the point.

boardise wrote: »
    Isn't the key point here that no transmission will take place within the car-which will only contain one person or more than one from the same family ?
    If any viral transmission is destined to take place -it will occur during behaviour outside the car -so the distance travelled is irrelevant.

No, because the other people you will be infecting are from further and further away .. Hence your are spreading the virus further and faster than otherwise.

newport2 wrote: »
    No need to dumb it down. Any easing of restrictions is going to increase risk somewhat.

The range has already increased to 5km for exercise. There is no point in allowing golf courses to open when the vast majority of members can't get to them (I see you're within 5km, so I'm alright Jack). So they'll have to ease that too. And while the range you travel is a factor, the amount of people you will directly interact with is one also. My point was though the range would change - fair enough - the other parameter wouldn't. Again, any easing of restrictions is going to introduce risk of spread.

So in your opinion, why are there any distance restrictions if the distance traveled is irrelevant to virus spread?

Why is every country in the world following the same idea?

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Fair play, I admire an upstanding honest citizen who upholds the letter of the law who never drives too fast, jaywalks, drinks after hours, fiddles their tax (just a little) and expects everyone to do the same..on the other hand if you are so worried you could play holes within your range and scratch the rest.

:rolleyes:

GreeBo wrote: »
    I don't think that's correct, you must exercise within 2km of your house.
    Otherwise I could drive 2km and then run 25km away, which would kind of defeat the point.
    I see I had a typo there. Obviously meant 5Km. Firstly, I'm impressed that you would run 25Km, fair play :). Secondly, there's an element of reasonableness in the rules. Having spoken to a number of Gardai (been stopped many times), they accept that it's not always possible for people to accurately measure how far they are from their home. Clearly somebody taking the piss will get the full works, but a few hundred yards is not going to cause a problem. Also, it's actually 5Km from today.

Edit: boards is fixed. At last. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Carazy wrote: »
    It won't be allowed because on May 18th beaches and parks will reopen also for those within 5km only.
    If ALL golfers are allowed to travel whatever distance it takes to play a pastime then all other citizens will see it as their right (just like the golfers) to head for the beaches in excess of their 5km if our weather remains good.

Beaches and parks are not businesses. Golf Clubs are business's so to function they need customers, the same as building sites needing builders. Beaches and parks do not need people to survive so golf is not in the same bracket as these.

I have to drive 25k to the supermarket. The golf course is 2k further. What is the difference in me going to the golf course than someone within 5k going. Everyone arrives by car on their own. I'm isolating like hell . Don't see the problem with some one driving in the car for 3 hours once they are not mixing with people. Golf courses are either safe to open or they are not. Which is it?

You have to eat food
    You don't have to play golf.

#supersimplestuff

I see I had a typo there. Obviously meant 5Km. Firstly, I'm impressed that you would run 25Km, fair play :). Secondly, there's an element of reasonableness in the rules. Having spoken to a number of Gardai (been stopped many times), they accept that it's not always possible for people to accurately measure how far they are from their home. Clearly somebody taking the piss will get the full works, but a few hundred yards is not going to cause a problem. Also, it's actually 5Km from today.

Edit: boards is fixed. At last. :)

Reasonableness leads to Irish people taking the piss unfortunately, as evidenced by this thread.

There seems to be some confusion on here.
    The 2km restriction was increased to 5km to start the country moving a bit and track what happens infection rates.
    It was not designed to allow people to play golf.

Those posting that they will play regardless of how far they live should be dumped out of their clubs and reported to the Garda.

Just follow the damn rules people.

Reasonableness leads to Irish people taking the piss unfortunately, as evidenced by this thread.
    Yeah. But it's unreasonable to tell people that they can travel to their golf club, but can't play certain holes because they're a couple of hundred yards outside their 5Km radius. Or drive to the beach, but can't actually walk on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Golf is a pastime where it's renowned for players to follow the rules correctly (marking cards, ball drops etc.).
    It would be awful if that reputation was to be tarnished by some going against the temporary restrictions of 5km and "stopping off at the course on the way back from" the shops,work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

If it’s not safe for me to drive another 3km ( 3minutes) to my golf course then it’s not safe to open them at all.

It should be open to all members or else none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

It’s seems there’s a few opinions here on the lines of, ‘well, I can’t play, so that means nobody else can play.’ Is this really the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Whether some people deem golf essential or not or whether some people deem it appropriate or not we have to try to begin getting back to normality at some point. The government has decided for golf that point begins on the 18th.

The government and the GUI cannot and will not regulate for every eventuality or every outlier combination of personal circumstances. They have to can it into a small enough number of easy enough to follow rules. Whether your personal circumstances fit into a black & white type scenario or whether you live 3.9 km as the crow flies but have to drive 6.3 km...well.. with everything in life its down to personal (responsible) judgement whether you comply with the spirit of the rule or not. You're supposed to stay in your locality/parish/community whatever.

In any case I'm kinda getting tired of the head master raised index finger types who pontificate at every opportunity like 'it is not that difficult to understand' and how we're practically killing people because we drove 0.3 km farther than they think we should have. Its silly and its not actually helping the case either. All it does it riles people up against each other when people are already frazzled enough after 2 months of lockdown. It would be nice if we could cut that out a bit, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

It’s seems there’s a few opinions here on the lines of, ‘well, I can’t play, so that means nobody else can play.’ Is this really the case?

Well it feels to me that anyone that’s within the 5km zone are I’m alright Jack.

But all members are equal and for any club to stop certain members playing while allowing others might cause problems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Whether some people deem golf essential or not or whether some people deem it appropriate or not we have to try to begin getting back to normality at some point. The government has decided for golf that point begins on the 18th.

The government and the GUI cannot and will not regulate for every eventuality or every outlier combination of personal circumstances. They have to can it into a small enough number of easy enough to follow rules. Whether your personal circumstances fit into a black & white type scenario or whether you live 3.9 km as the crow flies but have to drive 6.3 km...well.. with everything in life its down to personal (responsible) judgement whether you comply with the spirit of the rule or not. You're supposed to stay in your locality/parish/community whatever.

In any case I'm kinda getting tired of the head master raised index finger types who pontificate at every opportunity like 'it is not that difficult to understand' and how we're practically killing people because we drove 0.3 km farther than they think we should have. Its silly and its not actually helping the case either. All it does it riles people up against each other when people are already frazzled enough after 2 months of lockdown. It would be nice if we could cut that out a bit, thank you.
    It's a 5km radius I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

There will be more people hitting the parks and beaches on the weekend of the 23/24 may(those within 5km of a park or beach)than travelling to the golf clubs(those within 5km of the club).

The 5Km radius from your home does give rise to an anomaly in the regulations.
    Take a member of any of the courses in Donabate living in Malahide. The courses are within the 5km radius for members but its a 13/14km drive, due to the estuary.
    These members, apparently, are allowed drive 13Km but others cant drive 8km.

I agree with Thecomedian--If golf is for members only then all members should be allowed.

With the restrictions on numbers per hour as per the proposed GUI recommendation there wont be a major influx of people charging to the golf clubs.
    Also clubs with larger membership can determine that members can only play one day in a weekend to facilitate their members.

I don't know can I agree with that. Its not about equality its about the anti virus program were on. So I have to agree if you're clearly outside the limits then it doesn't matter whether its 'fair' or not.

This is not entirely about what makes sense, never has been, and how can we be sure we know better what makes sense anyway? its also about perceiption and what example one group sets for other groups and overall compliance. Its only an extra couple of weeks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

I have distance membership and on the 18th I will be driving 70KM after work to play 12 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I have adhered strictly to the government regulations during 'lockdown'. Only been outside to the shop for essentials, exercised within 2 km of my home and not traveled to see family or friends. However, I've seen neighbours have a constant stream of visitors and teenagers and kids milling about in groups. I live outside of the 5 km radius of my golf club but I will certainly be travelling to play at the earliest opportunity. I see very little risk of me sitting in a car alone travelling back and forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

So we're now advocating golfers be arrested for travelling 6k instead of 5k to play golf?

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    I have distance membership and on the 18th I will be driving 70KM after work to play 12 holes.
    I think there will be a lot doing the same.
    I'm afraid that we will be looked at in the same manner as those who returned from Cheltenham for a while though as some clubs will be not acting in the spirit of the restrictions.

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    So we're now advocating golfers be arrested for travelling 6k instead of 5k to play golf?

FFS.
    We are? You do know the Gardai are adopting a multiple warning approach with people breaking the lockdown restriction, yeah?

Whiplash85 wrote: »

Jesus I wouldn't do that at the best of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

You have to eat food
    You don't have to play golf.

#supersimplestuff

GreeBo - I like your contributions - but is there a need for the #supersimplestuff ?

There are lots of grey areas - and people are trying to work them out , even point made yesterday - some of my course is > 5km , is a funny one.
    "sorry guys - have to head from 14th fairway to bunker on 18) - like the Truman show.

People are angry and venting , well entitled to at this point. (even if I personally agree with the attitude > 5km you can't play.)

and as someone said to me yesterday - when you will able to play within 5 km , (as I and I suspect you will), it is far easier to pontificate on this from your 4.9 km at the turn of your course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement