Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo - I like your contributions - but is there a need for the #supersimplestuff ?

There are lots of grey areas - and people are trying to work them out , even point made yesterday - some of my course is > 5km , is a funny one.
    "sorry guys - have to head from 14th fairway to bunker on 18) - like the Truman show.

People are angry and venting , well entitled to at this point. (even if I personally agree with the attitude > 5km you can't play.)

and as someone said to me yesterday - when you will able to play within 5 km , (as I and I suspect you will), it is far easier to pontificate on this from your 4.9 km at the turn of your course.
    Very much this. I know members of my club who are absolutely addicted to the game and live outside the catchment area. And the only consolation I can give them is that if people keep to the rules, they'll be back on the course in a few weeks after those who are lucky enough to live that bit closer to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

I hearby declare myself homeless..... Or at least I will if the missus hears me mention "the lads on boards are saying......."

It's really a simple rule to follow. If you don't want to follow it, that's your choice, just don't come back here looking for sympathy should you get caught or denied access.

I am outside the 5km and really want to play and probably will try but at the end of the day it's only a wait until 8 June.

Maybe storm season will kick in on the 17th for 3 weeks and that woukd sort it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I don't know can I agree with that. Its not about equality its about the anti virus program were on. So I have to agree if you're clearly outside the limits then it doesn't matter whether its 'fair' or not.

This is not entirely about what makes sense, never has been, and how can we be sure we know better what makes sense anyway? its also about perceiption and what example one group sets for other groups and overall compliance. Its only an extra couple of weeks guys.

I think this hits the nail on the head for me.

It is not about fair or not - it is about the anti virus program. If you considered fair or not - you would be concerned about far more than golf first.

If you look at the thousands of impacts on people, health, employment , actual lives , funerals etc,

also;

People let off jobs
    People having to work with public on min wage (Shops etc) - others not having to work on similar wages.
    People who can not work , not paid a penny.
    Companies gone for good. (and I'm aware golf a big industry)
    Kids who can not go to school , in some of the most important parts of their life
    Kids worried about the leaving or just about to exit college/university
    Weddings / holidays / big occasions.
    Big sporting events - Golf events - No Liverpool victory.
    No birthdays - meals with family.

Just a tiny reflection on the impact on people and even more pleasurable less important things that are the very fabric of us.
    Yes golf is a massive part too. But is it the one to get angry , energized and activated about first ?

I just think - we have got this far, and a small bit more patience is required in the overall context. I'm delighted golf is back at all this summer, for a while I didn't genuinely know - as studying figures each day. (I still think the growth rate is too high at present, and that is why we have such a slow cautious plan)

(But to be Irish and not German for a second) I have a sense the 5 km will not hold myself - because if numbers continue to drop - the government will cave anyway. Particularly as their program seems incredibly slow and conservative versus the rest of Europe. The tone in the media now is "who is running Ireland" - the kick back has started.

Vent away , be angry , but It really is small in the overall scale of things. Yes it is meaningful in a personal perspective - but jaysus lads, there certainly is a bigger picture than golf going on.

I'd happily give up golf for longer, for a night on the lash with my friends around Ireland.
    A holiday to the Caribbean , a meal in Italy, the kids back in School.

There are signs of hope there at present, enough for me.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Very much this. I know members of my club who are absolutely addicted to the game and live outside the catchment area. And the only consolation I can give them is that if people keep to the rules, they'll be back on the course in a few weeks after those who are lucky enough to live that bit closer to it.

A criticism I often have of golf - it is probably the most selfish sport.

This will be an interesting illustration of that.

If someone put forward a proposal in GUI/ILGU - all out, till everyone can play , I would support it.

But it wouldn't happen. Golf has not got a meaningful link, like say the GAA,

It is individuals , playing a solo game, in typically a private setting. There is no real union - I realize that the more I'm in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

A criticism I often have of golf - it is probably the most selfish sport.

This will be an interesting illustration of that.

If someone put forward a proposal in GUI/ILGU - all out, till everyone can play , I would support it.

It is individuals , playing a solo game, in typically a private setting. There is no real union - I realize that the more I'm in the game.

Well put sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    I have adhered strictly to the government regulations during 'lockdown'. Only been outside to the shop for essentials, exercised within 2 km of my home and not traveled to see family or friends. However, I've seen neighbours have a constant stream of visitors and teenagers and kids milling about in groups. I live outside of the 5 km radius of my golf club but I will certainly be travelling to play at the earliest opportunity. I see very little risk of me sitting in a car alone travelling back and forth.

I'm the same. My car wouldn't start from lack of use and I had to get the mechanic up the road to help me out. My trips out since March 12th have been with my own kids on their bikes around the estate. To Dunnes, Tesco or Supervalue for groceries, Woodies before they closed for some DIY stuff I was doing (all shops within 2km from my house) work once a week though in the early days it was once every 2 weeks (about 10km), few trips to my dad (over 70 and a long list of underlying health problems) with groceries before I was able to get him online delivery, he is about 25km away and I always tied those trips in to my work day which is the same route.

Then I see the neighbours and I'm talking multiple families here with kids in each others houses, visitors over regular, I know a few of them are visiting their own parents with their kids (but its ok because its within 2km :rolleyes:). My kids are a bit older than theirs (not a lot) but we seem to be able to get it through to our kids that they have to stay away from everyone else and not be sharing toys etc, but others seem to think its all good and try force stuff on my kids or have a go of their bikes and stuff. Now I'll happily sit out in the garden with them and drink a beer and have a chat, but it's my beer from my glass in my chair, while they are all in and out of each others houses, sharing beers and snacks. During chat the other day one of them said she is missing her folks who live about 7-8km away. My missus suggested she bring some groceries over to them to say hello, but she said that she couldn't do that because she was a real stickler for the rules. She actually said this with a straight face while her kid was running around inside someone elses house and not a day has past in the last week or so when there hasn't been a visiting car to their house with full on interaction between the kids and food laid out in the back garden. It is actually starting to grid my chops now. In a way the good weather is causing all sorts of problems, but it is also keeping us sane!
    I am outside the 5km and really want to play and probably will try but at the end of the day it's only a wait until 8 June.

6 weeks after that for me, 20th July. I'll be honest now, I don't think I'll wait that long. My mam lives on the second fairway, I'll probably start making trips to her with some groceries!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Don't miss golf as much as I would have thought but the no GAA is really getting to me if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Miss both playing golf and soccer really badly. In terms of boredom it has been the perfect storm. No going out for meals/drinks, no friends & family, no playing golf/soccer, no travel, nothing happening in sports on tv, only topic on telly is bloody corona. Bloody hell.

But right now I feel positive. Unless some crazy stupid sh1t happens we should be over the worst of it. There may even be a chance this plan might get brought forward a bit. The trends and numbers are rather good and are probably even better than they seem given the fact that numbers are a week or two behind. Plus we get to see what happens in other countries. And god know there may be a surprise medication/vaccine all of a sudden and soon this may be just like a bad dream.

I won't let that be soured for myself by another couple of weeks of this or that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

It’s seems there’s a few opinions here on the lines of, ‘well, I can’t play, so that means nobody else can play.’ Is this really the case?

There is an element of solidarity attached to that position. I live outside the 5km radius of my local club and I've paid the same membership sub as everybody else. It's either safe to play golf or it's not. It can't be safe for one person and not for a person who lives 2 fields over. I'd prefer they postponed it for all until June 8th and then open with the planned measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

The GUI draft of recommendations I have seen will not allow for green fees. From what I've seen they will come out with something (ridiculous IMO) like 2balls in 12 minute intervals or 3balls in 14 minute intervals. You won't even get all our active members off the tee in one day that way. Never mind green fees.

Again only a recomendation, The statement by Leo last week stated sporting activity up to 4 people. The GUI will be seen to look to tick every box to the extreme. But if it helps, it helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I don't know can I agree with that. Its not about equality its about the anti virus program were on. So I have to agree if you're clearly outside the limits then it doesn't matter whether its 'fair' or not.

This is not entirely about what makes sense, never has been, and how can we be sure we know better what makes sense anyway? its also about perceiption and what example one group sets for other groups and overall compliance. Its only an extra couple of weeks guys.
    Is that you Mr Hyde?;)

almostover wrote: »
    There is an element of solidarity attached to that position. I live outside the 5km radius of my local club and I've paid the same membership sub as everybody else. It's either safe to play golf or it's not. It can't be safe for one person and not for a person who lives 2 fields over. I'd prefer they postponed it for all until June 8th and then open with the planned measures.

I know it is hard to get the logic. But they are saying the movement of two fields over - is contributory to the spread.

Because 2 fields over is bringing people in contact with significantly extra people - in my case for example - I could go to Santry, Dublin city Centre, Ballymun.

I'm not exaggerating here - it exposes me to well over 50,0000 extra people.

You kind of have to ignore Golf to get the concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

But the money you have paid is irrelevant during restrictions..I can't fathom why people aren't getting this. The underwear to 5km is nothing to do with golf, it's a general restriction.
    If your argument boils down to "if 5km is safe then surely 6km is too" is meaningless.
    There isn't some magic number, any more than there is for many other thing that have restrictions. It's a line in the sand drawn to give people something to reference.
    If 6Ikm s safe then so is 50km or 500km, or any number, if you give me long enough I can add 1km to anything.
    prawnsambo wrote: »

For me it is as simple as just following the rule on this one. The sooner the virus is under control, the sooner w far back to golf. I don't want a busy or numpties keeping me from playing any longer than necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I know it is hard to get the logic. But they are saying the movement of two fields over - is contributory to the spread.

Because 2 fields over is bringing people in contact with significantly extra people - in my case for example - I could go to Santry, Dublin city Centre, Ballymun.

I'm not exaggerating here - it exposes me to well over 50,0000 extra people.

You kind of have to ignore Golf to get the concept.

I get there has to be a cut off somewhere.

the 2 and 5km makes sense in Dublin and large built up areas but not really in the country.
    If it’s 5km in the country, the most it should be Dublin is 2km.
    It’s annoying seeing people up on there high horse while they taking their 5km trip will cover an area with thousands of more people than someone in the country going an extra couple of km

I get there has to be a cut off somewhere.

the 2 and 5km makes sense in Dublin and large built up areas but not really in the country.
    If it’s 5km in the country, the most it should be Dublin is 2km.
    It’s annoying seeing people up on there high horse while they taking their 5km trip will cover an area with thousands of more people than someone in the country going an extra couple of km

And I fully understand that. But I'd love someone down the country to walk in our shoes - when we are doing what we should and living around 500 K people.

All about perspective.

There are pros and cons for everyone.

The rules would be far too complex if based on population density and the logic still holds true anyway for , Cork, limerick and bigger towns.

If someone chooses to live it the country - they have the benefits of that at all other times.

GreeBo wrote: »
    But the money you have paid is irrelevant during restrictions..I can't fathom why people aren't getting this. The underwear to 5km is nothing to do with golf, it's a general restriction.
    If your argument boils down to "if 5km is safe then surely 6km is too" is meaningless.
    There isn't some magic number, any more than there is for many other thing that have restrictions. It's a line in the sand drawn to give people something to reference.
    If 6Ikm s safe then so is 50km or 500km, or any number, if you give me long enough I can add 1km to anything.

For me it is as simple as just following the rule on this one. The sooner the virus is under control, the sooner w far back to golf. I don't want a busy or numpties keeping me from playing any longer than necessary.

I agree that the rule should be followed. In the case of my golf club which is located in a very rural area only 2 villages lie in within the 5km radius. 99% of members would be in the 20km radius however. Don't see what the point of opening up a golf club to maybe 20% of the membership for 3 weeks is. I'd be in favour of staying shut until 8th of June.

Another golf club that spring to mind is the Old Head, a 5km radius barely takes you to Garretstown beach. I'd say you could count the number of members in that radius on one hand, if even. The law is an ass in this case. It's a Dublin-centric restriction that in no way reflects the risk levels in rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

For ****s sake...arguing over a distance is silly

The key is to for the foreseeable future to keep your networks small.

If anything the distance is more key outside of Dublin. This thing isnt going anywhere for a long time yet based on community transmission from hospital

Just stay safe and be careful

I agree that the rule should be followed. In the case of my golf club which is located in a very rural area only 2 villages lie in within the 5km radius. 99% of members would be in the 20km radius however. Don't see what the point of opening up a golf club to maybe 20% of the membership for 3 weeks is. I'd be in favour of staying shut until 8th of June.

Another golf club that spring to mind is the Old Head, a 5km radius barely takes you to Garretstown beach. I'd say you could count the number of members in that radius on one hand, if even. The law is an ass in this case. It's a Dublin-centric restriction that in no way reflects the risk levels in rural Ireland.

Your argument is logical - that Dublin should have less distance.

But - even Cavan had fairly bad cases per capita.

Yes - you could say lock-down was too loose in Dublin - I agree.

gypsy79 wrote: »

If anything the distance is more key outside of Dublin. This thing isnt going anywhere for a long time yet based on community transmission from hospital

Are we arguing ?

Fairly healthy discussion - in a reasonable tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

I’m from rural Ireland and it annoys me how much people from outside urban centres are constantly poor mouthing. When there was a threat from dubs with holidays homes it was a scandal that they were outside the geo restrictions. Now people rural people who spent most of the outbreak living with big gardens and quiet roads will say the 5km restriction is Dublin centric because they can’t get to their golf course.

As someone said earlier there’s pros and cons for everyone. I know a single mum living in an apt in the city with a severely autistic child and no support. If 3 extra weeks to play golf is the most unfair thing in your life during lockdown you’re doing well,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

GreeBo wrote: »
    Is that you Mr Hyde?;)

Not really. I can disagree with something but still comply with it. And I can strongly disagree with people who shouted down anyone critical accusing them of having a faulty moral compass. If you aren't/weren't on the party line it was like talking to a mob at times.

I think some of the measures will turn out to be over the top in hindsight. And if we had just paused a moment and allowed ourselves to think calmly we would have seen that at the time even.

That doesn't mean I'm arrogant enough to tell people they should ignore the overall plan.

Edit Are we good Greebo? I always liked your posts and your style even when you were a mod. You're your own man. I may not agree with all of it but I can respect it.

Are we arguing ?

Fairly healthy discussion - in a reasonable tone.

100%
    I don’t want my tone to sound like I’m arguing. I’m just trying to give reasons to my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The distance is what will protect rural areas.....lots of them might be totally clear very soon

Dublin has a long road ahead so distance is less important.

The areas the distance is helping get out quicker are a long way from Dublin

Raisins wrote: »
    I’m from rural Ireland and it annoys me how much people from outside urban centres are constantly poor mouthing. When there was a threat from dubs with holidays homes it was a scandal that they were outside the geo restrictions. Now people rural people who spent most of the outbreak living with big gardens and quiet roads will say the 5km restriction is Dublin centric because they can’t get to their golf course.

As someone said earlier there’s pros and cons for everyone. I know a single mum living in an apt in the city with a severely autistic child and no support. If 3 extra weeks to play golf is the most unfair thing in your life during lockdown you’re doing well,

Again in the golfing section we are going to talk about golf.

I’m not aware of anyone here on about holiday homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Again in the golfing section we are going to talk about golf.

I’m not aware of anyone here on about holiday homes.

No the point is the constant Dublin rule vs rural Ireland rule rhetoric, which now rears it’s head is tiring in both golf and non golf contexts and it’s always based on what poor rural Ireland doesn’t have.

Imagine there was no 5km restriction on golf travel? How would that keep people in the country safe from a spread of the virus from urban centres? There’s a lot of people in Dublin with memberships all over the country.

No the point is the constant Dublin rule vs rural Ireland rule rhetoric, which now rears it’s head is tiring in both golf and non golf contexts and it’s always based on what poor rural Ireland doesn’t have.

Imagine there was no 5km restriction on golf travel? How would that keep people in the country safe from a spread of the virus from urban centres? There’s a lot of people in Dublin with memberships all over the country.

I never said anything about no restrictions. That is not my point.
    My point is comparing the 5km distance in Dublin to a 5km distance in the country. I’m sorry if this comparison bothers you. I hadn’t realised it was constant on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I live in a rural area and feel very well off right now. I have a lot of sympathy for people like your friend. I would go completely batsh1t crazy in a situation like that. There are people going through a lot of pain and difficulty right now and my heart goes out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

The 5Km rule is a bit silly in country areas. Tralee Golf Club is in a very remote area. It's about 14km from Tralee and about 7 or 8 km from Ardfert which is the nearest village. I put the 5km circle on the course and three quarters of the circle was in the Atlantic Ocean!!

Likewise Ballybunion. Unless you live in the town or very close,you are outside the 5km. Again there was more water than land in the 5km circle!
    On the plus side,imagine if you do live inside 5km, you can play both courses in splendid isolation. No need for social distancing
    No 54 seater coaches in the car park and maybe a helicopter parked up also and as you stand on the first tee you notice there's something missing. Ah yes, not an American in sight!

gypsy79 wrote: »

I agree with you. I think though they've made a hames of the restrictions phasing. The purpose of the phases is to limit the risk of community transmission of COVID-19. In the case of golf, patricipation either poses too high of a risk of community transmisson or it doesn't. Same for GAA. Same for restaraunts and pubs. The activity is either safe or it's not.

I'm having a bad day because after 7 weeks of full compliance to the restrictions I'll be denied the one activity I was looking forward to for an extra 3 weeks over an arbitrary distance value. I understand the value of the restrictions for public health and was supportive of the initial closing of golf clubs. We didn't phase golf out based on distance, it was deemed too high risk and that was that. It should be the same to reintroduce golf, the risk has reduced to an acceptable level and it can resume with sensible precautions or it's still too risky and no golf can take place.

Anyway I'll get over it, just annoyed today and need a rant!

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    6 weeks after that for me, 20th July. I'll be honest now, I don't think I'll wait that long. My mam lives on the second fairway, I'll probably start making trips to her with some groceries!!

And I don't think anyone could blame you for that except some people on Boards ;)

Enjoy your game when you do get back out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement