Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

almostover wrote: »
    I agree with you. I think though they've made a hames of the restrictions phasing. The purpose of the phases is to limit the risk of community transmission of COVID-19. In the case of golf, patricipation either poses too high of a risk of community transmisson or it doesn't. Same for GAA. Same for restaraunts and pubs. The activity is either safe or it's not.

I'm having a bad day because after 7 weeks of full compliance to the restrictions I'll be denied the one activity I was looking forward to for an extra 3 weeks over an arbitrary distance value. I understand the value of the restrictions for public health and was supportive of the initial closing of golf clubs. We didn't phase golf out based on distance, it was deemed too high risk and that was that. It should be the same to reintroduce golf, the risk has reduced to an acceptable level and it can resume with sensible precautions or it's still too risky and no golf can take place.

Anyway I'll get over it, just annoyed today and need a rant!

Same here. I didn’t play over the winter with weather and work and had march pencilled in (was last out on the 10th of March). It’s my one outlet really and my winter plans and lessons are going out the window.
    Probably just need a rant .... I’ll get over myself

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

I never said anything about no restrictions. That is not my point.
    My point is comparing the 5km distance in Dublin to a 5km distance in the country. I’m sorry if this comparison bothers you. I hadn’t realised it was constant on this thread.

Yeah I know what you’re saying but any arbitrary rule will have hard luck stories and illogical application to certain courses. Some people spent the entire lockdown within 2km of Phoenix Park. Thousands of others were barely 2km from a decent green space.

What I’m saying is with these golf rules there will be some people who get very lucky in the first phase, more people will be happily within the 20km, and then the rest.

Some people argue that this should mean until everyone can play the courses should remain shut but I think that’s nothing more than sour grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Raisins wrote: »
    Yeah I know what you’re saying but any arbitrary rule will have hard luck stories and illogical application to certain courses. Some people spent the entire lockdown within 2km of Phoenix Park. Thousands of others were barely 2km from a decent green space.

What I’m saying is with these golf rules there will be some people who get very lucky in the first phase, more people will be happily within the 20km, and then the rest.

Some people argue that this should mean until everyone can play the courses should remain shut but I think that’s nothing more than sour grapes.
    Sour grapes says a chap called Raisins. :D

I would just add that the clubs need to be open too. I know they may get precious little income as members will have already paid their subs. But there may also be an uptick in memberships as people who have perhaps toyed with the idea of joining a golf club could very well decide that this is the time when they may still be unable to work for weeks yet. And maybe pick up a few junior members as well. They won't do that if the clubs are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I agree that the rule should be followed. In the case of my golf club which is located in a very rural area only 2 villages lie in within the 5km radius. 99% of members would be in the 20km radius however. Don't see what the point of opening up a golf club to maybe 20% of the membership for 3 weeks is. I'd be in favour of staying shut until 8th of June.

Another golf club that spring to mind is the Old Head, a 5km radius barely takes you to Garretstown beach. I'd say you could count the number of members in that radius on one hand, if even. The law is an ass in this case. It's a Dublin-centric restriction that in no way reflects the risk levels in rural Ireland.

It's the exact same argument though!
    I challenge you to define the boundary where someplace suddenly becomes rural versus not.
    You are now inviting gob****es asking you why paddys road is rural but dinnys isn't.

Do you think the government are going to spend extra time to make sure the restrictions make seeds from a golfers point of view?
    How about from a tennis pov? Cricket? Accept that it's a crude line I the sand and move I with your life.

Btw, a club doesn't have to open

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭blue note

I've done a lot of work on the wage subsidy scheme in the last few weeks. That's a flawed scheme with some real holes in it. But it needed rules so that they could introduce it quickly, even if it wasn't necessarily fair or doing what it should at times. And some of it was vague or undefined and employers had to decide based on sparse guidance whether they qualified. The admin of it has real problems too. But, there wasn't time to dot all the i's and cross all the ts before introducing.

It's the same for the 5k and golf clubs, only it's way way way less important. There's a good argument that people should be allowed to travel further for golf. But if you tell golfers to just use their common sense on how far to travel you might as well tell the whole country to follow the 5k unless you think what you're doing is harmless. And we can all agree that's a terrible idea. And even for golfers - I used to be a distance member in tramore living in Dublin. I could easily rationality to myself that I'll just be in the car all the way to tramore, so it would be fine to drive there. And maybe it is to be honest, but i think we need to just follow the rules a little longer so we can actually get back to some sort of normal soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

GreeBo wrote: »
    It's the exact same argument though!
    I challenge you to define the boundary where someplace suddenly becomes rural versus not.
    You are now inviting gob****es asking you why paddys road is rural but dinnys isn't.

Do you think the government are going to spend extra time to make sure the restrictions make seeds from a golfers point of view?
    How about from a tennis pov? Cricket? Accept that it's a crude line I the sand and move I with your life.

Btw, a club doesn't have to open

I have a follow up post to explain my position. I'm not pleased but I'll have to put up with it and get on with it. It is what it is, I've succumbed to the green eyed monster in relation to members who live within 5km of their course. It's unfair but that's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

There seems to be some confusion on here.
    The 2km restriction was increased to 5km to start the country moving a bit and track what happens infection rates.
    It was not designed to allow people to play golf.

Those posting that they will play regardless of how far they live should be dumped out of their clubs and reported to the Garda.

Just follow the damn rules people.

Yes Garda 3 bags full Garda V you Garda..who the fcuk do you think you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I have a follow up post to explain my position. I'm not pleased but I'll have to put up with it and get on with it. It is what it is, I've succumbed to the green eyed monster in relation to members who live within 5km of their course. It's unfair but that's life.

Well that is honorable enough that you mentioned the green eyed monster and fair enough that is human nature.

I just hate when people bring the rural / urban divide into it. I'd love them to see some of the **** you have to put up with in parts of Dublin and all those underlying social issues are part of you every day life here.

Look we have probably talked it to death and I personally would not be pulling anyone up on it. But lads would want to be realistic, all golf clubs have a small but crazy element in them - over bearing, rule abiding, curtain twitching, plonker, one up man ship, etiquette head cases and sycophant types.

Of all the places people are going to rock up and break rules. It is probably one of the worst places and things to do it at.

Will you wear a collared shirt when you do it, jeans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

so what coronavirus precautions are your clubs taking?

Not really. I can disagree with something but still comply with it. And I can strongly disagree with people who shouted down anyone critical accusing them of having a faulty moral compass. If you aren't/weren't on the party line it was like talking to a mob at times.

I think some of the measures will turn out to be over the top in hindsight. And if we had just paused a moment and allowed ourselves to think calmly we would have seen that at the time even.

That doesn't mean I'm arrogant enough to tell people they should ignore the overall plan.

Edit Are we good Greebo? I always liked your posts and your style even when you were a mod. You're your own man. I may not agree with all of it but I can respect it.

For things like this I'd rather we were miles over the top than an inch under.

Fwiw I have zero issues with fierce debate, if someone has a point and can defend it, go right ahead and if I disagree I'll go right ahead and argue. A few people get upset and resort to nonsense when others don't;) just back down straight away. But hopefully the schools will be been soon and I won't have to deal with them anymore.;)

• Advertisement

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Yes Garda 3 bags full Garda V you Garda..who the fcuk do you think you are.

Looks like a tie between yourself and James Dean.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

I live within 5k of my club but its a 10k drive.

Precaution wise I can't see them doing any more than what was in place prior to courses closing which was excellent.

Just seen the letter that Westmanstowm sent out to the members which read Timesheet open to every member and if you are outside the 5km loop and get stopped it's on your own head so to speak Paraphrasing...Funny that (It's a Garda Golf club in the main)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

The idea that it'll be up to clubs to police it is absurd. What's next, you can't play golf if you don't pay your TV licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Just seen the letter that Westmanstowm sent out to the members which read Timesheet open to every member and if you are outside the 5km loop and get stopped it's on your own head so to speak Paraphrasing...Funny that (It's a Garda Golf club in the main)

That’s fair enough.
    It would cause too much hassle for the club to do otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

You can see how divisive this is here - you can bet it’s the same irl. Hate the bad feeling it’s caused already between people I normally love spending time with doing something we all love.

It just makes no sense - of the new cases reported today, outside of healthcare workers and care homes it’s 40 people, with a lag in reporting.

Does anyone else feel hard done by the golf authorities not even lobbying for the golf clubs?

Could at least put a case to the government - and should be ask to run comps too to generate some cash for clubs. Golf courses are safe, plan needs revision.

Maybe golf is indeed a selfish sport as someone said - just disillusioned now as always liked the sense of solidarity with my fellow golfer.

Some people are enjoying the quiet roads and quick commutes and being lucky enough to have great amenities within the restricted area just a bit too much. ‘In this together’?

You can see how divisive this is here - you can bet it’s the same irl. Hate the bad feeling it’s caused already between people I normally love spending time with doing something we all love.

It just makes no sense - of the new cases reported today, outside of healthcare workers and care homes it’s 40 people, with a lag in reporting.

Does anyone else feel hard done by the golf authorities not even lobbying for the golf clubs?

Could at least put a case to the government - and should be ask to run comps too to generate some cash for clubs. Golf courses are safe, plan needs revision.

Maybe golf is indeed a selfish sport as someone said - just disillusioned now as always liked the sense of solidarity with my fellow golfer.

Some people are enjoying the quiet roads and quick commutes and being lucky enough to have great amenities within the restricted area just a bit too much. ‘In this together’?

Totally agree with you, it's a case of "if I'm not going to play How dare you " kind of sarcasm..Simple if anyone feels that by playing golf 5.7 km away(that's me btw) is going to cause a massive surge..Stay at home, turn off social media so not to stress yourselves by others not doing what you want and wait till it (virus goes away) You will probably get out mid to late 2021..I'd rather take my chances on a bit of Life than sit at home doing my head in...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Nedser101

Golf is back the 18th of may !i live 5.2 km away from the club but my playing partner live 10 km away . There is absolutely no chance in people staying away from the coarse once it opens and the club cannot tell people to stay at home.personally I can’t wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

I have been lucky enough not to be impacted financially by Covid-19 as I'm been working away as normal in the Pharma Industry (to be honest up to my eyeballs) Most of the non-essential colleagues have been working at home and this will continue to be the case for the foreseeable.

Its getting in on me a bit now due to the ongoing schedule of work-home-work-home-work so mentally its taking a toll

The weathers been fantastic for the most part and this makes it even harder. The pictures from the course look amazing.

I have kept paying my membership which is nearly fully paid for the year €1150 as its the right thing to do but bear in mind I'm lucky that my finances haven't changed. I live 10kms from my club...... which is great because its nice and close 10 mins away from my driveway.

Its my birthday on the 18th May and I'd love a game of golf to celebrate but I will be waiting till the next phase to kick in on the 08th Jun.

When I go back and play I will be able to hold my head up and be secure in the knowledge that I played my part and more by following the directives and by doing so haven't potentially caused any issues for people around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Macker1 wrote: »
    I have been lucky enough not to be impacted financially by Covid-19 as I'm been working away as normal in the Pharma Industry (to be honest up to my eyeballs) Most of the non-essential colleagues have been working at home and this will continue to be the case for the foreseeable.

Its getting in on me a bit now due to the ongoing schedule of work-home-work-home-work so mentally its taking a toll

The weathers been fantastic for the most part and this makes it even harder. The pictures from the course look amazing.

I have kept paying my membership which is nearly fully paid for the year €1150 as its the right thing to do but bear in mind I'm lucky that my finances haven't changed. I live 10kms from my club...... which is great because its nice and close 10 mins away from my driveway.

Its my birthday on the 18th May and I'd love a game of golf to celebrate but I will be waiting till the next phase to kick in on the 08th Jun.

When I go back and play I will be able to hold my head up and be secure in the knowledge that I played my part and more by following the directives and by doing so haven't potentially caused any issues for people around me.

That's your call and you are spot on in keeping to the restrictions however IMO I see no danger in you playing.

If you're driving to work you're already needing diesel or petrol for your car so by adding golf in does not mean petrol station is an additional stop.

The guidelines which will issue from the golfing Union will cover social distancing so no issue there. Casual golf shop no scorecards etc...

It will be of great benefit to your mental health.

My own view is they are going to find it difficult to police, especially in the cities once you add in the construction workers going back.

In saying that an additional 3 weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

The decision to open some sporting facilities is not in line with a 5k travel limit so I think they should have just left it until June if the medical advice is to keep the travel limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Two interesting articles on IrishGolfer.ie on the re opening of golf courses and the 5km limit

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Nedser101

The only person I’ll be asking for permission to play golf on May 18th is my wife.
    If she’s says I can play I’m gonna play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Stay at home in all circumstances, except in the following situations:
    :
    to exercise within 5 kilometres of your house. You cannot exercise with people from outside your household.

So, if golf is considered as exercise and covered by this rule, it clearly states that you can only do it with members of your household?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Looks like a tie between yourself and James Dean.

You are a simpleton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Stay at home in all circumstances, except in the following situations:
    :
    to exercise within 5 kilometres of your house. You cannot exercise with people from outside your household.

So, if golf is considered as exercise and covered by this rule, it clearly states that you can only do it with members of your household?

"- Allow a maximum of four people not from the same household gather outside while obeying social distancing."

This is also part of the first phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

As the crow flies I am 4.81kms from my clubhouse. In travelling to the course I never leave the 5km radius. The on road distance travelled to get to the club is more than 5km, but as I said, I am never outside the 5km radius from my house. Additionally, the 5km radius from my house would include a significant portion of the course. To strictly adhere to the 5km radius rule I play 1, 2 and 3 normally, then I would tee off on the 4th but then cross over to the 5th where I could resume play about half way down the fairway. I could hole out on 5 and then tee off on the 6, again I couldn't go for the green, picking my ball up I would cross over to the 7th about a third the way up the fairway. I could then play he remainder of my round lawfully. I live in the town my club is named after.

I fairness, not having the deal with the 4th green, the hole is index 1 par 4, or drive off 5 would be kinda ok. I like the approach to 6 though. There's water in play and I like it. I would miss that. However, I don't see any issue in travelling to, or playing fully when I get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

jamfer wrote: »
    As the crow flies I am 4.81kms from my clubhouse. In travelling to the course I never leave the 5km radius. The on road distance travelled to get to the club is more than 5km, but as I said, I am never outside the 5km radius from my house. Additionally, the 5km radius from my house would include a significant portion of the course. To strictly adhere to the 5km radius rule I play 1, 2 and 3 normally, then I would tee off on the 4th but then cross over to the 5th where I could resume play about half way down the fairway. I could hole out on 5 and then tee off on the 6, again I couldn't go for the green, picking my ball up I would cross over to the 7th about a third the way up the fairway. I could then play he remainder of my round lawfully. I live in the town my club is named after.

I fairness, not having the deal with the 4th green, the hole is index 1 par 4, or drive off 5 would be kinda ok. I like the approach to 6 though. There's water in play and I like it. I would miss that. However, I don't see any issue in travelling to, or playing fully when I get there.

this 5km lark is going to bring in a whole new perspective on internal out of bounds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I've been working from home over the lockdown and have been overly busy due to the work I do and the current pandemic. I don't live within the 5km distance from my club but my two brothers do. I'll be meeting them to play golf when the club opens and I'm on the timesheet.

I find golf a great stress reliever from work and the outside world when I'm playing for 4/5 hours at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    I've been working from home over the lockdown and have been overly busy due to the work I do and the current pandemic. I don't live within the 5km distance from my club but my two brothers do. I'll be meeting them to play golf when the club opens and I'm on the timesheet.

I find golf a great stress reliever from work and the outside world when I'm playing for 4/5 hours at the weekend.
    Realistically the government should have said all golf clubs to close until early June and then only open to members. They seem to be creating more tension and anomalies with every statement( not only regarding golf)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    "- Allow a maximum of four people not from the same household gather outside while obeying social distancing."

This is also part of the first phase.

they are obviously bug golf fans so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement