Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Realistically the government should have said all golf clubs to close until early June and then only open to members. They seem to be creating more tension and anomalies with every statement( not only regarding golf)
    You're going to have the exact same issue with beaches, parks and other amenities. Garden centres will be open and people will be convincing themselves that it's all right to drive 10Km to the garden centre etc.

These businesses need to start opening for economic reasons. As I said above, golf clubs also need to open. They have the opportunity in the following weeks to attract new members. But they also need to start moving back to green fees and other incremental sources of income. Providing it's safe to do so and there are no setbacks. Four (that I know of) have closed in the interim. For good.

The most important part of these relaxations is to see if the next phase can go ahead safely. The expert medical advice was to phase it in 4 week increments, but the government has decided to risk going to 3 week intervals instead. Start making exceptions and the whole thing collapses. That's the big picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Waterrock in Cork not reopening which is a pity to hear. Served the green fee, society market very well in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Realistically the government should have said all golf clubs to close until early June and then only open to members. They seem to be creating more tension and anomalies with every statement( not only regarding golf)

Maybe they should have consulted with the GUI and said open all courses to local GUI members for open competitions. Once you have a GUI and are on the timesheet it would be similar to tracking members of the same club.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Just seen the letter that Westmanstowm sent out to the members which read Timesheet open to every member and if you are outside the 5km loop and get stopped it's on your own head so to speak Paraphrasing...Funny that (It's a Garda Golf club in the main)

Not that funny at all, every club will be the same. The club will be open to its members, end of. You hardly expect them to enforce the distance rule, maybe set up there own check point at the entrance checking addresses and distance members have travelled to play ??, Course will be open and it’s on your own head if you run the risk to travel from outside prescribed distance to play and get stopped. Honestly show me the golfer who lives 6 km from his club that won’t play and I’ll show you the (white) liar. Different story if traveling half way across the country to play your favourite course.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Nedser101 wrote: »
    The only person I’ll be asking for permission to play golf on May 18th is my wife.
    If she’s says I can play I’m gonna play.

When I go golfing on the 18th, I'd say my wife will have the locks changed when I get back

• Advertisement

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Maybe they should have consulted with the GUI and said open all courses to local GUI members for open competitions. Once you have a GUI and are on the timesheet it would be similar to tracking members of the same club.
    The GUI have been consulting with government:
    Since the restrictions were introduced in March, the governing bodies have been engaging intensively with the Irish Government and its agencies on a range of issues including the financial impact of the crisis on golf clubs, the importance of allowing essential maintenance of courses over the past five weeks, and the potential for the safe resumption of golf.

To that end, golf’s governing bodies have prepared a comprehensive draft protocol on the safe resumption of play on which we have been engaging with the Government over recent weeks. We now intend to finalise this protocol in the coming week, in consultation with the Government, and issue clear advice to our member clubs well in advance of the reopening of courses on 18 May. That advice will emphasise the absolute necessity of golf clubs adhering to the terms of the protocol for safe play.

Also:
    We would ask clubs to refrain from opening timesheets for booking until the protocol is published, as it will contain vital information on group sizes and timesheet intervals.

Protocols to be published on Friday afaik.

Not that funny at all, every club will be the same. The club will be open to its members, end of. You hardly expect them to enforce the distance rule, maybe set up there own check point at the entrance checking addresses and distance members have travelled to play ??, Course will be open and it’s on your own head if you run the risk to travel from outside prescribed distance to play and get stopped. Honestly show me the golfer who lives 6 km from his club that won’t play and I’ll show you the (white) liar. Different story if traveling half way across the country to play your favourite course.

I think you got me wrong on this one, I'm all for everyone playing as you would see from my previous posts, I'm laughing about the situation in Westmanstown as my mate (Garda) is a member there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

From reading this thread I can really see why strict rules were needed in the first place. The rule has some luck attached to it - you might or might not be lucky enough to live close enough to your club to play. It's only 2 extra weeks isn't it until they open it to 20k? If things go well.....

But everyone just seems to be saying to hell with it if they're outside of the 5k. Maybe they should have held off another couple of weeks before opening. It doesn't look like golfers are able to self police these rules. Ironically.

There's a post on the thread on membership saying that New Forest are offering monthly memberships for the duration at €100 a month. That's the kind of outside the box thinking that would help enormously with those who want to play from the 18th and don't want to break the travel restrictions. More clubs should do this. It has the double effect of improving finances and protecting communities.

Edit: Just in case anyone wants to check this, details are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

big_drive wrote: »
    Waterrock in Cork not reopening which is a pity to hear. Served the green fee, society market very well in Cork

Disappointed to hear that, wanted to get out there as it's close by. With members only being allowed, it was first local place I heard of thatd be in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Obviously golf is one of a few things to come back on steam on the 18th along with construction and looking at the traffic on the roads this morning including the M50 it will be very difficult to police any limit.

Couldn't believe the traffic on the M50, also plenty of builders working away on houses in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭newport2

blue note wrote: »
    It's only 2 extra weeks isn't it until they open it to 20k? If things go well.....

3 weeks extra (I know it doesn't make much difference in the grand scheme of things)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭newport2

Remind me wrote: »
    Obviously golf is one of a few things to come back on steam on the 18th along with construction and looking at the traffic on the roads this morning including the M50 it will be very difficult to police any limit.

Couldn't believe the traffic on the M50, also plenty of builders working away on houses in the area.

How bad was it? This could end it for us all before our first tee off

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

newport2 wrote: »
    How bad was it? This could end it for us all before our first tee off

Would walk the same route most days and definitely more cars in general on the local roads but there were days walking over the M50 where you would only see a few trucks, today or was a steady flow of trucks, vans and cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

From reading a few pages of this thread it seems like lots of golfers are just not getting this. Just cause your club is open it doesn't mean that you can travel outside your 5km limit to get there.

This was most likely done on purpose. By opening courses while there is a 5km limit it naturally limits the amount of people trying to go out and play, then when the limit increases the number who can play will increase so it is a gradual easing into the opening which is the safe way to do it. Its not a "clubs open, free for all, lets go" scenario.

Its heartbreaking to read so many on this thread deciding that the rules dont apply to them all for the sake of a game of golf. We would all love to be doing things outside our 5km but we all have to stick to the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It's only 2 extra weeks isn't it until they open it to 20k? If things go well.....
    newport2 wrote: »
    3 weeks extra (I know it doesn't make much difference in the grand scheme of things)

and 9 weeks extra for me, and lots of others.
    i'll probably wait the 3 weeks as i'm lucky enough to have another option for that time, but not a hope i'll wait 9

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Totally agree with you, it's a case of "if I'm not going to play How dare you " kind of sarcasm..Simple if anyone feels that by playing golf 5.7 km away(that's me btw) is going to cause a massive surge..Stay at home, turn off social media so not to stress yourselves by others not doing what you want and wait till it (virus goes away) You will probably get out mid to late 2021..I'd rather take my chances on a bit of Life than sit at home doing my head in...

So how far is too far then?
    Can you please give us the number that makes sense?
    Such pain and suffering by the poor golfing community of Ireland. Shocking that Leo and friends haven't thought of it... Probably too busy thinking about their cronies in the HSE and nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

From reading this thread I can really see why strict rules were needed in the first place. The rule has some luck attached to it - you might or might not be lucky enough to live close enough to your club to play. It's only 2 extra weeks isn't it until they open it to 20k? If things go well.....

But everyone just seems to be saying to hell with it if they're outside of the 5k. Maybe they should have held off another couple of weeks before opening. It doesn't look like golfers are able to self police these rules. Ironically.
    It's basically an all Ireland knobhead test that some are just dying to fail, in full public glory.
    And will probably Instagram it just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

It really is a simple rule to follow. If your club is outside a 5KM radius you can't play golf until the radius expands enough that you can.

If you break that rule then you are no better than the mouth breathers over in the states protesting coz they want to get their haircut. The health experts in the country need help in understanding where the virus is so they can stamp it out. They have decided the rules based on their expertise, scientific facts and live information. Not on a whim. If people start crossing these lines then you are putting the people who want to keep all of us safe in the dark somewhat. We cannot afford that after all the good we've all done.

If you don't have experience in Infectious Decease Control or Pandemic Control stop second guessing them as you look foolish and selfish.

They are doing a decent job and seem to be getting a good handle on this virus. Let's just do as they say and when it's our time to play golf then that's when we play.

Remind me wrote: »

Yes, on my way home yesterday from work after travelling a total of 102km and meeting with lots of people btw through the job,The M50 @ 4-30 pm was about 3/4 of normal traffic..The lockdown is finished..Take it what way you like but I passed my golf club on way home..But on the 18th May as I'm 5.7 km from my house to club, technically I can't go in..2 hopes of that happening and one is Bob Hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

This hits the nail on the head.
    Golf and it's players by large very individualistic and so it seemed on paper that with on course golf rule governance self policed that they would be the best to follow and adhere to the 5km limit.

Wait until the anglers start hitching up the boats on the 18th too!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/philip-reid-border-anomaly-means-northern-golfers-can-play-courses-in-republic-1.4245815

It will be interesting to see if the GUI issue any guidelines/protocols around NI based members of clubs in ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭blackbox

When I see so many posters here who seem to think that the Covid-19 rules shouldn't apply to them, it makes me wonder how they feel about the rules of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yes, on my way home yesterday from work after travelling a total of 102km and meeting with lots of people btw through the job,The M50 @ 4-30 pm was about 3/4 of normal traffic..The lockdown is finished..Take it what way you like but I passed my golf club on way home..But on the 18th May as I'm 5.7 km from my house to club, technically I can't go in..2 hopes of that happening and one is Bob Hope.

sorry i have to pull you up on this. i happened to be in work yesterday then i had to bring my dad some shopping, so i hit the m50 on my way home at cherrywood just after 4 and i pulled off it at Blanch 20 mins or so later on. There was nowhere near ¾ of normal traffic on it. there was a bit of traffic alright and much more than in the earlier days, but I would be surprised if it was even 10% of a normal Tuesday afternoon rush hour

This is nothing like 3/4 of normal or even a tenth of it. M50 at Ballymun.

511931.png

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Good man.....as long as everyone adopts the idea that the rules don't really apply to them we should be grand for a few weeks golf over the summer, before the second wave hits and we're forced back into a lockdown.......

.....but at least then it'll be autumn and we'll have had a few weeks, maybe even a couple of months of good golf at everyone else's expense :rolleyes:

I get that it must be frustrating to be 5.7km away when the rule is 5km, but if everyone starts to fudge it (what about the people who are 5.8km away or 6km away, or 7km away etc) it'll be back to 0km in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

The clubs might well check the registered addresses of the members who are down to play. It wouldn’t take long given it’s 3 balls, 14 mins apart. You’re looking at 15 people per hour.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    This is nothing like 3/4 of normal or even a tenth of it. M50 at Ballymun.

511931.png

Easy to pick a quite part of the day, From Airport to N7 turnoff it was busy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Yes, on my way home yesterday from work after travelling a total of 102km and meeting with lots of people btw through the job,The M50 @ 4-30 pm was about 3/4 of normal traffic..

3/40ths?

You are lying man.

• Advertisement

Good man.....as long as everyone adopts the idea that the rules don't really apply to them we should be grand for a few weeks golf over the summer, before the second wave hits and we're forced back into a lockdown.......

.....but at least then it'll be autumn and we'll have had a few weeks, maybe even a couple of months of good golf at everyone else's expense :rolleyes:

I get that it must be frustrating to be 5.7km away when the rule is 5km, but if everyone starts to fudge it (what about the people who are 5.8km away or 6km away, or 7km away etc) it'll be back to 0km in no time.
    My whole point is all or nothing, you can't cherry pick what's ESSENTIAL and what's not based on the economy..My job is no way essential but is deemed ok now to do whereas previously it was not...Every job/activity outside medical is unnessasary in the grand scheme of things so if for Economy sake not health issues that the government are sayng "You're ok now back to work you go" That doesn't help anyone so they give an inch and we take a yard that's the way it is so you can sit on your high horse and preach all you want but Golf courses will be open on 18th I've paid my membership and I'm up there..U wonder how many smug people on here are basically summer golfers and haven't GOT AROUND to pay their subs so no loss to them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement