Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

It's going to be interesting to see what happens the Inter-Club scene. Apparently the GUI are going to release a statement about it shortly (further to their previous correspondence postponing events until the end of March). A mess of a situation that could well see a lot of 2020 Inter-Club tournaments abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Heard this morning that the O'grady Cup wont take place this year.

My view the inter clubs will go off the calendar for 2020. Hard to see the Senior cup etc taking place when you are asking 18 clubs to attend the one venue even though they are set for May & june.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

One extra thing our place is doing is they are now going to cut the holes to a lesser depth so it's easier it retrieve the ball and asking people to wear a glove on greens and retrieve their ball with gloves hands from the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

One extra thing our place is doing is they are now going to cut the holes to a lesser depth so it's easier it retrieve the ball

https://www.facebook.com/stmargaretsgc/videos/2997793573610095/

Our place has taken the cups out and inverted them so that the ball sits up near the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Interesting now that early stages of interclub comps postponed, Another scenario at play here is..Let's say they come out and close golf courses for the forseeable future and no competitive golf played this year, What criteria will be in place for interclub 2021 eg. 4 qualifiers needed for interclub to be played in previous year ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

i'd imagine they extend it back 12 months plus whatever time is lost to the ongoing crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    What criteria will be in place for interclub 2021 eg. 4 qualifiers needed for interclub to be played in previous year ??

It will be the wild west under the new handicap changes coming in at the end of the year anyway :D

For those using electronic scoring apps... which ones are you using? Trying to think of a way to keep some sort of competitive golf going but without any touch points. We have already removed flags, bunkers GUR, contactless payments etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

HighLine wrote: »
    For those using electronic scoring apps... which ones are you using? Trying to think of a way to keep some sort of competitive golf going but without any touch points. We have already removed flags, bunkers GUR, contactless payments etc.

golfgraffix will be the man to sort you out

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Is a fantastic effort and great thinking.

But sadly , people are just terrible (but trying) at social distancing.

See lads touching elbows instead of handshakes.

Lads it is 2 meters . Measure out 2 meters and have a look.
    Same with putting, talking , car park etc.

We are probably facing a lockdown anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Interesting now that early stages of interclub comps postponed, Another scenario at play here is..Let's say they come out and close golf courses for the forseeable future and no competitive golf played this year, What criteria will be in place for interclub 2021 eg. 4 qualifiers needed for interclub to be played in previous year ??
    Ripped into me for suggesting that we call off our society outing and the GUI get off Scott free. Damn Prophets of Doom those GUI Chaps. So its is true then this is serious. By George i think he has got it.

Ripped into me for suggesting that we call off our society outing and the GUI get off Scott free. Damn Prophets of Doom those GUI Chaps. So its is true then this is serious. By George i think he has got it.

I think everyone should tone it down on the Covid point scoring - same on twitter.

It is an incredibly fast emerging situation - soccer matches were on last week, we were in pubs last week.

It is a very complex area - having profound and difficult impacts for everyone - but these are very different for individuals.

There is a massive mental health aspect , that we do not understand , and long term social isolation is not straight forward. The covid measures have to be proportionate at the right time and for the right length of time.

Stopping people actually getting out of their house is a massive step and not something that people should be trying to score points on.

I actaully think most outdoor activity , with your own household is very very low risk. But you just can trust people - as they meet up with people they shouldn't , they get inside the 2 meter distance. They go over to other people with dogs, We are social creatures.

Golf is realistically incredibly low risk - but the problem is people's behavior and
    in particular - we struggle a bit with rules and golf is very habitual, so changing peoples' behavior is incredibly hard.

So - I'd say , let everyone have views and let it be clear they will be very very different.

Fundamentally , we don't understand this, so it is best we leave the timing and interventions to the emerging experts (who themselves are only learning)

There is a problem with modern life - it is mob rule, internet rule and populism.

Sorry , long post. But I'd say try give people a break at this time (even if you fundamentally disagree). Just stopping golf - is incredibly difficult for some. In fact , golf is the only thing positive some people have.

When this is all over, we will have learnt so much from how we are going to try start to play golf again. But sadly, some of the old great characters and survivors and high risk members , will not be back. Let them enjoy their last few rounds. They are at far far more risk , in their own home with their kids and grandchildren coming over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's an emotional time too, I was golfing Saturday and saw a group of 4 together not observing "distancing" but when I got a proper look is was a dad with his 3 kids, wasn't it great they could get out together I thought, but maybe now other's think they were all wrong and they should have stayed at home.
    Damned if you do....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Seve OB wrote: »
    golfgraffix will be the man to sort you out

I have just been forwarded an email sent out by ClubNet (Golfgraffix). Full credit to them for genuinely looking to help clubs out in the current crisis. We will definitely be availing of their services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

Had to call into the club this morning to settle up the last of my sub. Lovely bright morning so course was busy enough. From what I could see social distancing was not being observed 100%. Maybe the groups I saw were all families but I doubt it. Some of the lads wanted to go for 9 holes later and I just had to say no. From what I saw this morning it would just not feel right to be playing. It just bugged me, that some people are making an effort and other are not. I did say it in the office as to what I saw but we will see what happens. If a non golfer saw the 4 balls I saw this morning the would be calling for clubs to be closed..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

HighLine wrote: »
    I have just been forwarded an email sent out by ClubNet (Golfgraffix). Full credit to them for genuinely looking to help clubs out in the current crisis. We will definitely be availing of their services.

It was a hard mail to write. It is a genuine offer as we rely on clubs for our business but we didn’t want it to be seen as a sales pitch either.

If any one wants to use it there is some details here

https://www.golfgraffix.com/ClubNet_for_Club_Competitions_No_Subscription_Fee.pdf

J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Glebee wrote: »
    Had to call into the club this morning to settle up the last of my sub. Lovely bright morning so course was busy enough. From what I could see social distancing was not being observed 100%. Maybe the groups I saw were all families but I doubt it. Some of the lads wanted to go for 9 holes later and I just had to say no. From what I saw this morning it would just not feel right to be playing. It just bugged me, that some people are making an effort and other are not. I did say it in the office as to what I saw but we will see what happens. If a non golfer saw the 4 balls I saw this morning the would be calling for clubs to be closed..

Same at our club. To be fair the club committee have sent out stern emails in this regard. Fourballs strolling up the fairway huddled together,same on the tee and green. Social distancing is not a hard thing to follow and Golf can be played quite safely if people would adhere to social distancing in a proper manner.

Same at our club. To be fair the club committee have sent out stern emails in this regard. Fourballs strolling up the fairway huddled together,same on the tee and green. Social distancing is not a hard thing to follow and Golf can be played quite safely if people would adhere to social distancing in a proper manner.

This is it for me , people can't, wont or dont care to do it right.

Why I felt golf was facing problems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

This is it for me , people can't, wont or dont care to do it right.

Why I felt golf was facing problems.

First time around my club today since this all broke. Had to tell one guy I was in the Q waiting for pro shop and not just randomly standing around! Out to car park I went and saw 2 groups like it was any other day just side by side chatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Glebee wrote: »
    I don't think that social distances mean that passing by someone within 2 metres you will catch the virus, I think it says that you are in close proximity for 15 mins it's a problem...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I don't think that social distances mean that passing by someone within 2 metres you will catch the virus, I think it says that you are in close proximity for 15 mins it's a problem...

From WHO website
    Maintain social distancing

Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.

Why? When someone coughs or sneezes they spray small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth which may contain virus. If you are too close, you can breathe in the droplets, including the COVID-19 virus if the person coughing has the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Load of rubbish, sorry. I could be talking to someone that's infected for 30 seconds and they could cough in my face and infect me.

Maybe the 15 minutes means general talking and not coughing or sneezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Load of rubbish, sorry. I could be talking to someone that's infected for 30 seconds and they could cough in my face and infect me.

Maybe the 15 minutes means general talking and not coughing or sneezing.

You clearly don’t understand how it works. The corona virus sits there counting and after fifteen minutes shouts out “Time’s up. Here I come ready or not “.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Lets be fair lads and call it what it is. Most of the stuff is just people going into mental overdrive. The high vis & liability brigade having a field day. And we have to do it, I'm not arguing against it, if for nothing else but perception. Keep your distance be really really clean personally and in your environment.
    But this is golf which is a fairly solitary game to begin with. Stuff like can't touch a flagstick or a rake in case someone else sneezed on it or has touched something someone else sneezed on and now touched the thing that you are about to touch. After which you'd still have to be unlucky enough for a virus to be transferred all down that chain finally over to your fingers AND after which you'd still have to put your fingers into your mouth, up your noose, rub your eyes without washing your hands first.... We are going a bit down that road where madness lies.
    After all this is about case reduction on a macro scale, about getting the numbers down. We still won't be able to totally rule out future individual infections altogether.

Lets be fair lads and call it what it is. Most of the stuff is just people going into mental overdrive. The high vis & liability brigade having a field day. And we have to do it, I'm not arguing against it, if for nothing else but perception. Keep your distance be really really clean personally and in your environment.
    But this is golf which is a fairly solitary game to begin with. Stuff like can't touch a flagstick or a rake in case someone else sneezed on it or has touched something someone else sneezed on and now touched the thing that you are about to touch. After which you'd still have to be unlucky enough for a virus to transferred over to your fingers AND after which you'd still have to put your fingers into your mouth, up your noose, rub your eyes.... Seriously? We are going a bit down that road where madness lies.
    After all this is about case reduction on a macro scale, about getting the numbers down. We still won't be able to totally rule out future individual infections altogether.
    Nobody is claiming we can rule out infection. The potential infection rate is 60% of the population. However we must do everything in our power to slow down the rate of infection otherwise our health service will be overwhelmed. They are now putting their own health at risk on a daily basis for the greater good. The least we can do is be as responsible as possible and in doing so we will save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not arguing against doing it. I'm as clean and separate these days as I ever was and everyone should be the same.

All I'm saying is that some of these measures seem a bit extreme given the odds of actually catching something that way.

Which is still not saying that I'm arguing against doing these things. Just that people should step back a moment and use their heads too. Some are calling for even more drastic measures after all.

Not arguing against doing it. I'm as clean and separate these days as I ever was and everyone should be the same.

All I'm saying is that some of these measures seem a bit extreme given the odds of actually catching something that way.

Which is still not saying that I'm arguing against doing these things. Just that people should step back a moment and use their heads too. Some are calling for even more drastic measures after all.

Most people are being responsible but the call is there for extra measures because there is still a minority behaving quite selfishly.

• Advertisement

I generally would go along with this.

But this thing is a bastard - we have had to deal with it in work . Incredibly in can live on surface for a surprisingly long time. We have to use gloves and spray for documentation.

It is also why gatherings are a problem - because the surfaces , even bloody paper can hold it. So like of shop counters here are not being wiped down very often it is a problem.

This is why in china they were going around actual streets and using robots to spray surfaces.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2020-03-20/how-long-does-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces/12074330

We haven't a hope of doing this

I still think - outdoors in a field a totally different issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement