Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    My whole point is all or nothing, you can't cherry pick what's ESSENTIAL and what's not based on the economy..My job is no way essential but is deemed ok now to do whereas previously it was not...Every job/activity outside medical is unnessasary in the grand scheme of things so if for Economy sake not health issues that the government are sayng "You're ok now back to work you go" That doesn't help anyone so they give an inch and we take a yard that's the way it is so you can sit on your high horse and preach all you want but Golf courses will be open on 18th I've paid my membership and I'm up there..U wonder how many smug people on here are basically summer golfers and haven't GOT AROUND to pay their subs so no loss to them

So much garbage to unpack here that I just won't bother.

Thankfully the doctors and nurses in the country are not as selfish as this.

Hope you enjoy that golf champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

My whole point is all or nothing, you can't cherry pick what's ESSENTIAL and what's not based on the economy..My job is no way essential but is deemed ok now to do whereas previously it was not...Every job/activity outside medical is unnessasary in the grand scheme of things so if for Economy sake not health issues that the government are sayng "You're ok now back to work you go" That doesn't help anyone so they give an inch and we take a yard that's the way it is so you can sit on your high horse and preach all you want but Golf courses will be open on 18th I've paid my membership and I'm up there..U wonder how many smug people on here are basically summer golfers and haven't GOT AROUND to pay their subs so no loss to them

Should absolutely be all or nothing.

Having got over initial crushing disappointment I reckon I will hold off for three weeks. It’s a small thing, sure, but after so many ‘small things’ as well as job looking shaky as f - it was one small thing to look forward to. Am gutted.

However - there is nothing can convince me it’s the correct decision. It’s completely wrong on a few levels. If it’s safe to play, it’s safe travel to play.

Another poster mentioned that it’s ‘allowed’ from 18th May as opposed to being essential. Well, it should be ‘allowed’ to travel to your club as a member regardless of how far.

Yes there may be sour grapes that golfers are allowed to travel - but there’s an element of luck in most aspects of the painfully slow reopening of country, as pointed out already.

And I’m also a fully paid up member - hope those within the 5km enjoy my hard earned cash contributing to rolling and cutting the greens for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Its still a fluid situation. The opening up may get accelerated who knows. A lot of data pointing towards this and entering now into the public discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

I would have thought the advice to over 70s to exercise on their own will be a bigger problem for golf clubs than the 5km rule.

Unless a garda checkpoint stops people at the golf course gates it is very much up to the individual whether they adhere to the 5km or not.

However a social media picture of numerous over 70s playing in groups is something I would imagine the GUI would definitely want to avoid.It would be very hard for the Govt. to expect overv70s to cocoon while allowing them play golf in groups.

The optics for golf would be very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Can't wait til the 18th ...my birthday. No golf but my regular playing partners will all be playing. I paid my full sub in January and the haven't even paid half theirs yet. Basterds.😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I would have thought the advice to over 70s to exercise on their own will be a bigger problem for golf clubs than the 5km rule.

Unless a garda checkpoint stops people at the golf course gates it is very much up to the individual whether they adhere to the 5km or not.

However a social media picture of numerous over 70s playing in groups is something I would imagine the GUI would definitely want to avoid.It would be very hard for the Govt. to expect overv70s to cocoon while allowing them play golf in groups.

You seem to have a fixation about over 70s playing golf. Is there something you know about this cohort that the rest of us need to know? I'm getting this image in my head of mobs of over 70s shuffling towards the golf clubs of Ireland like some kind of zombie movie. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Cocooning is just advisory, a recommendation. They're not actually 'told' to stay in.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Raisins wrote: »
    The clubs might well check the registered addresses of the members who are down to play. It wouldn’t take long given it’s 3 balls, 14 mins apart. You’re looking at 15 people per hour.

They might just check alright but can do nothing about it..Have you not heard something called Data protection ?? Leave themselves wide open if they do that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Clubs who use the BRS system could essentially block anybody from booking who is outside the 5km distance.

3/40ths?

You are lying man.

As the first part of your name suggests....you are ! .I will be on N7 and M50 tomorrow il take pics and post them

• Advertisement

They might just check alright but can do nothing about it..Have you not heard something called Data protection ?? Leave themselves wide open if they do that..
    Umm... You agree to them using your address when you sign the form on joining and renewal. And data protection doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. They're not giving your address to anyone else and they're using it for the purpose it was given. To inform you.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You seem to have a fixation about over 70s playing golf. Is there something you know about this cohort that the rest of us need to know? I'm getting this image in my head of mobs of over 70s shuffling towards the golf clubs of Ireland like some kind of zombie movie. :D

Far from a fixation. I'm not far off it myself!

I am merely being realistic.I think when the GUI issue recommendations it is going to be a big issue.Time will tell.

As the first part of your name suggests....you are ! .I will be on N7 and M50 tomorrow il take pics and post them
    No need. You can look at the traffic cameras any time. Here's the Naas road junction with the M50 a few minutes ago. Absolutely jammers so it is. :D

511954.png

neckedit wrote: »
    Clubs who use the BRS system could essentially block anybody from booking who is outside the 5km distance.

They could but heres a scenario for you..your address according to the club is No 1 uptown road 5.7 km away but you have moved or worse still seperated/divorced it's none of their business and you now live at 99 downtown Street while you get back on your feet which is only 4 km from club but club refuse to let you play..what now ?? My regular playing partner is 2.6 km..I could for all intensive purposes live there in The granny flat attached..I'm just pointing this out to show how impossible this is to enforce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

My address would appear to be within 5km if you don't have the eircode, which my golf club does not have based on being a member long before the eircode existed.

However I am outside the 5km. I really don't think any club would have the time or interest to trawl through this.
    Also would someone who lives 4.9km from the first tee be allowed to play as they march down the fairway past the 5km radius?

I think a bit of common sense must be applied to this situation. If you are a member, play your game and keep up the social distancing. Don't pull in for coffee in the petrol Station etc on your way to or from the course and you will not be adding any risk to the virus spreading, no more than walking within the 5km.
    There are groups of people all over the country partying every weekend. These are the ones threatening the extension of lockdown, not 3 people heading out on a golf course.

They could but heres a scenario for you..your address according to the club is No 1 uptown road 5.7 km away but you have moved or worse still seperated/divorced it's none of their business and you now live at 99 downtown Street while you get back on your feet which is only 4 km from club but club refuse to let you play..what now ?? My regular playing partner is 2.6 km..I could for all intensive purposes live there in The granny flat attached..I'm just pointing this out to show how impossible this is to enforce
    And you could prove that quite easily to the satisfaction of all concerned. And if you filled in a renewal form when you paid your sub this year, your address would reflect any change. So only those who moved since renewal date would present a problem. That can easily be resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

My BRS booking was taken down after initially having been accepted, all four of us outside of 5km. Had booked in 2 twoballs, told to rebook as soon as spaces became available.

Cocooning is just advisory, a recommendation. They're not actually 'told' to stay in.

I understand that it is an advisory but it does form an important part of the strategy underpinning the NPHET response to the pandemic.
    Looking logically I cannot see NPHET wanting a situation developing where a phase 1 loosening of the lockdown will undermine one of their key strategies.

I have absolutely no issues with over 70s playing. I am just expressing an opinion that I feel it likely that it will recommended by the Dept. of Health that they do not.What way this will work in reality is another matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

This isn't primary school. This is an integrity thing and will be up to the individual to do the right thing. No club is going to be enforcing it and just asking the members for help in complying to the guidelines.

If people lead such sad existences that they can't wait a few weeks to play a game of golf then let them off and just know that you are doing the right thing if you are complying yourself.

And you could prove that quite easily to the satisfaction of all concerned. And if you filled in a renewal form when you paid your sub this year, your address would reflect any change. So only those who moved since renewal date would present a problem. That can easily be resolved.

No, clubs will not be policing it.

Addresses could easily have changed since joining - do you imagine your club will input every registered address into a maps app to calculate your distance as the crow flies to make sure entire course is within 5km?

No renewal form where I am - I’m not sure how prevalent that is, perhaps my club in minority with this then.

There will be no one turned away from the gates of the club, no one turfed off the course, no guards called by your club.

It will be your very own fellow members condemning you from a height for arriving alone in your car, after social distancing for the past eight weeks, to play a socially distant game of golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Big challenge here for the golf clubs and unions.

People without common human decency will flout the rules. I can see golf getting hammered with negative publicity due to the selfishness of people travelling outside their area.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Lots of personal attacks and not attacking posts. Please remember this is a hard time for everyone, be civil.

hurikane wrote: »
    Big challenge here for the golf clubs and unions.

People without common human decency will flout the rules. I can see golf getting hammered with negative publicity due to the selfishness of people travelling outside their area.

Please could posters just lay off labelling those living 7km from their course and considering playing as selfish and without human decency - it’s ridiculous, tantamount to saying they’re happy for people to get sick and die. Just insulting.

If I thought for one moment I was in any way more likely to spread this disease more than my playing partner who lives 1km away from me but who is within restrictions in playing our course, I would accept this rule without question, as would everyone else.

The regulation is wrong. Some golfers are rightly questioning the logic.

Instead of worrying about being hammered by negative publicity, maybe the unions could put that energy into making a case to the government for all members to be allowed play, including over 70s.

They’ve been in ‘intensive consultations’ with the government since this began, according to Golfnet - the government rightly had to make blanket rules, but this one needs a few small tweaks, just make the case instead of lying down and asking for headaches.

No need to fill out renewal at our club, you receive an email asking if you are rejoining and if you are what method of payment do you want to use..no asking for address and if they did I could say No fixed abode..Not against the law but you can see where I'm coming from.I can see you are totally against the the slightest breach in the rules and you have personal interest in this as I've seen you had a family member affected.. I'm glad all's ok now..I had to (attend) a funeral online of my aunt and godmother but I'm still not against people playing golf as you know..The basic issue for me is risk and quite frankly working in any environment going to supermarkets, trying to dodge people while out walking is far more risky than playing golf in a big open space

And who would take that picture ?? A member ?? Or somebody trespassing ? Now there's a crime that can be dealt with

No, clubs will not be policing it.

Addresses could easily have changed since joining - do you imagine your club will input every registered address into a maps app to calculate your distance as the crow flies to make sure entire course is within 5km?

No renewal form where I am - I’m not sure how prevalent that is, perhaps my club in minority with this then.

There will be no one turned away from the gates of the club, no one turfed off the course, no guards called by your club.

It will be your very own fellow members condemning you from a height for arriving alone in your car, after social distancing for the past eight weeks, to play a socially distant game of golf.
    Sorry, I went down a rabbit hole I shouldn't really have with that post. I wasn't advocating anything of the sort, just responding to a hypothetical situation.

With regard to renewal forms. Clubs really should do them. There are a whole lot of GDPR and child protection issues that not having them exposes the club to.

And who would take that picture ?? A member ?? Or somebody trespassing ? Now there's a crime that can be dealt with
    Trespassing isn't a crime. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Wow.... ok.
    Sure belt away man.

Wow.... ok.
    Sure belt away man.

Thanks I will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Thanks I will.

Ok

I live 1 km from my club and have paid subs albeit monthly

My mate is 10 kms away and is a front line worker - lives alone and misses the course and craic a lot.

I'm not going to pull him up on travelling to the course, it's his choice.

But, can you imagine a full car park at the local golf club? It sends all the wrong messages and I think that's what the 5 km radius intends to address

Anyway, best wait to see the GUI advice which should be out this week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement