Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Thanks I will.

Ok

I live 1 km from my club and have paid subs albeit monthly

My mate is 10 kms away and is a front line worker - lives alone and misses the course and craic a lot.

I'm not going to pull him up on travelling to the course, it's his choice.

But, can you imagine a full car park at the local golf club? It sends all the wrong messages and I think that's what the 5 km radius intends to address

Anyway, best wait to see the GUI advice which should be out this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Clubs will not be blocking players from the BRS system who live outside the 5km range. I can guarantee you that. It's just not going to happen. We have more important things to be worried about. The responsibility of obeying the restrictions will rest with the players themselves and the Gardaí will continue their checkpoints making sure all non essential travel is within 5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Cocooning is just advisory, a recommendation. They're not actually 'told' to stay in.

Well they are (were) actually being told to stay in. It's just that's it's not legally enforceable. Now they're being 'allowed out' for short walks and they are being told not to stop to talk to anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Trespassing isn't a crime. :rolleyes:

But taking photos while driving along the M50 is. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

The GUI haven't a clue of how to circle this square.
    The Clubs are going to play the "not my problem" card.
    The GUI will be rolled out by the media and asked why member Clubs aren't acting in cooperation with the rules and then all public goodwill to the golfing community will be gone out the window.

Some papers will have a field day on the "elitist" in society flouting the restrictions limit.

Hopefully I'm wrong but that's how I see it unfolding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

But taking photos while driving along the M50 is. :eek:

I'll be stopped in the traffic..sure who'll catch me

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Carazy wrote: »
    The GUI haven't a clue of how to circle this square.
    The Clubs are going to play the "not my problem" card.
    The GUI will be rolled out by the media and asked why member Clubs aren't acting in cooperation with the rules and then all public goodwill to the golfing community will be gone out the window.

Some papers will have a field day on the "elitist" in society flouting the restrictions limit.

Hopefully I'm wrong but that's how I see it unfolding.

I think the same.Golf does not need reopening to turn into a PR disaster.There are plenty of people out there who would be very quick off the mark to highlight any flouting of rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Golf, a game of integrity and honesty.

If people are happy to risk spreading the virus outside of their 5km and ultimately put lives at risk, it’d make you wonder about the correlation between golf integrity and willingness to flout the health experts guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

And who would take that picture ?? A member ?? Or somebody trespassing ? Now there's a crime that can be dealt with

From that reply it sounds like it would be a task that would be beyond you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Hopefully not one of your many Garda friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

hurikane wrote: »

If people are happy to risk spreading the virus outside of their 5km and ultimately put lives at risk, it’d make you wonder about the correlation between golf integrity and willingness to flout the health experts guidelines.

Before we start wondering and getting all emotional maybe best wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Can't comment on much on this ( not much real info being shared to be fair) except the traffic levels.

I've not stopped working, albeit lower hours, since this kicked off. I would travel to Dublin 3/4 days a week from Meath and spend 8-12 hours all around the mid and south of Dublin and some inner city.
    Traffic is no where near 75% of what it normally is. I would say at worst, for an hour or two a day its at 35% and this is usually around shops etc. When the lockdown kicked in I would say it was on average 10% and while it climbed it seems most roads are much quieter.

On days like today with the weather we would see alot more out and about but generally in small pockets keeping distance from other groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

Do people really not understand the rationale for the 5km limit or are they pretending not to?

Asking what’s the extra risk of me travelling 10km to play golf rather than 5km? Answer, practically zero.

But what if 10 people do it? What if 100 people do it? What if 10,000 people do it? What if 100,000 people do it?

And if you can travel outside 5km for golf, then what about tennis? What about fishing? What about a swim in the sea? Canoeing on the lake?

What makes you so special? Get over yourself and wait the three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

A* for hyperbole......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

antgal23 wrote: »
    Ok

I live 1 km from my club and have paid subs albeit monthly

My mate is 10 kms away and is a front line worker - lives alone and misses the course and craic a lot.

I'm not going to pull him up on travelling to the course, it's his choice.

But, can you imagine a full car park at the local golf club? It sends all the wrong messages and I think that's what the 5 km radius intends to address

Anyway, best wait to see the GUI advice which should be out this week

I get the link - but my club car park will be full on the 18th.

Guess - but well over 70 % within 5km.

I do get the point and did from the off - that golfers off playing golf will get the eye on the game at certain clubs.

Some are off in isolated places - others have fairly high profile public locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

HighLine wrote: »
    Clubs will not be blocking players from the BRS system who live outside the 5km range. I can guarantee you that. It's just not going to happen. We have more important things to be worried about. The responsibility of obeying the restrictions will rest with the players themselves and the Gardaí will continue their checkpoints making sure all non essential travel is within 5km.

Hate to disagree with you.
    But I know 2 that are planning to.

But you can go to work...like it or not what's the more risk and DONT come back with you have to work **** and don't have to play golf..I'm outside 5km to work so can somebody tell me honestly the difference..

Please could posters just lay off labelling those living 7km from their course and considering playing as selfish and without human decency - it’s ridiculous, tantamount to saying they’re happy for people to get sick and die. Just insulting.

If I thought for one moment I was in any way more likely to spread this disease more than my playing partner who lives 1km away from me but who is within restrictions in playing our course, I would accept this rule without question, as would everyone else.

The regulation is wrong. Some golfers are rightly questioning the logic.

Instead of worrying about being hammered by negative publicity, maybe the unions could put that energy into making a case to the government for all members to be allowed play, including over 70s.

They’ve been in ‘intensive consultations’ with the government since this began, according to Golfnet - the government rightly had to make blanket rules, but asking for headaches.

I do get the genuine nature of this post.
    I get lobbying.
    I get the frustration.
    I get people trying to get hard cases to make bad law.

But - isn't this attitude that we should tweak the rules for golf - the most extraordinary, self absorbed navel-gazing by the golfing community ?

yawhat? wrote: »
    Do people really not understand the rationale for the 5km limit or are they pretending not to?

Asking what’s the extra risk of me travelling 10km to play golf rather than 5km? Answer, practically zero.

But what if 10 people do it? What if 100 people do it? What if 10,000 people do it? What if 100,000 people do it?

And if you can travel outside 5km for golf, then what about tennis? What about fishing? What about a swim in the sea? Canoeing on the lake?

What makes you so special? Get over yourself and wait the three weeks.

Have yiu played golf in last two years ?? Last time you had an input here ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Please could posters just lay off labelling those living 7km from their course and considering playing as selfish and without human decency - it’s ridiculous, tantamount to saying they’re happy for people to get sick and die. Just insulting.

If I thought for one moment I was in any way more likely to spread this disease more than my playing partner who lives 1km away from me but who is within restrictions in playing our course, I would accept this rule without question, as would everyone else.

The regulation is wrong. Some golfers are rightly questioning the logic.

Instead of worrying about being hammered by negative publicity, maybe the unions could put that energy into making a case to the government for all members to be allowed play, including over 70s.

They’ve been in ‘intensive consultations’ with the government since this began, according to Golfnet - the government rightly had to make blanket rules, but this one needs a few small tweaks, just make the case instead of lying down and asking for headaches.

Good post.
    There’s a few in here trying to have a discussion.
    The digs and sly remarks should have no place here.

There are no lives at risk, the game that we all love is probably the safest game at the moment.
    The risk is minimal. I think this needs to be remembered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

But you can go to work...like it or not what's the more risk and DONT come back with you have to work **** and don't have to play golf..I'm outside 5km to work so can somebody tell me honestly the difference..

Do you work in the golf club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

Have yiu played golf in last two years ?? Last time you had an input here ??

Yeah, played a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Are ranges opening?

Remind me wrote: »
    Are ranges opening?

Good question

Asked earlier

Must be someone who know someone who work in one here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Still waiting on you to tell us the magic distance that you think is too far?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Remind me wrote: »
    Are ranges opening?

Unlikely. If clubs are restricting playing rights to members only, that would suggest contact tracing is at the root of that decree. Much harder to do in a range full of randomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Good question

Asked earlier

Must be someone who know someone who work in one here ?

The one in Navan is.

Seen a post on facebook, by booking is available and walls ins where it can be accommodated.

1hr 10€ and 150 balls from the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is the only time you obey the rules when you think you will be caught?
    A worrying attitude for anyone but especially a golfer to have.

I pity a future where this attitude is prevalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Unlikely. If clubs are restricting playing rights to members only, that would suggest contact tracing is at the root of that decree. Much harder to do in a range full of randomers.

Ranges independent of the Golfing Union?

I would not agree on them opening because likely people in certain areas will have a range within 5k if their course is not and unless slots are booked, which would be almost impossible, it would be a free for all.

On contact tracing, if it was a case someone in a club setting contracted Covid and the correct protocols are put in place, that person would not have infected anyone. Easier said than done of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

neckedit wrote: »
    Hate to disagree with you.
    But I know 2 that are planning to.

Will believe that when I see proof of it. And how are they planning on doing it... because obviously a google maps trip distance is not relevant... because the 5Km is as the crow flies. So you are telling me that they will measure out on google earth for each address thought to be outside 5km? And then try to zoom in and approximate if the house is inside/outside the 5km. And then they will contact each person to find out if that is still their current address? And then remove them from the BRS system. Nope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement