Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Driving ranges weren't listed in the government road map for opening in phase 1. Just golf clubs.

HighLine wrote: »
    Will believe that when I see proof of it. And how are they planning on doing it... because obviously a google maps trip distance is not relevant... because the 5Km is as the crow flies. So you are telling me that they will measure out on google earth for each address thought to be outside 5km? And then try to zoom in and approximate if the house is inside/outside the 5km. And then they will contact each person to find out if that is still their current address? And then remove them from the BRS system. Nope.
    Well that's one way of doing it. Just simpler to exclude all addresses that are clearly outside the 5Km radius. Leave the edge cases alone. If that's what you want to do obviously. Like take Druid's Glen. You can pretty much knock out anyone in Greystones, Rathnew, Ashford, Wicklow etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Driving Ranges, Pitch & Putt, Tennis and SeaAngling/Coarse Fishing Clubs are to open on the 18th with a 5km restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Will believe that when I see proof of it. And how are they planning on doing it... because obviously a google maps trip distance is not relevant... because the 5Km is as the crow flies. So you are telling me that they will measure out on google earth for each address thought to be outside 5km? And then try to zoom in and approximate if the house is inside/outside the 5km. And then they will contact each person to find out if that is still their current address? And then remove them from the BRS system. Nope.

I happen to work at the courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

neckedit wrote: »
    I happen to work at the courses

Absurd decision by your management but good luck with that! Clubs should be concentrating on ways to enforce social distancing, reducing touchpoints and providing a safe environment for members. Followed by ways to create revenue streams.

Enforcing the 5km is up to Gardaí.

• Advertisement

I happen to work at one of them. I'm just sharing how we are going to manage it, as per the title of the thread.
    And no we won't have to got to that length of getting out google maps, seriously! the club is quiet remote. Not to many living near by that is.
    So at the minute Yup its happening.
    And no you don't have to remove people from brs to block access there is a disable option.
    All in all a very simple task really.
    You probably won't get to see it, so I guess you won't believe it.

Absurd decision by your management but good luck with that! Clubs should be concentrating on ways to enforce social distancing, reducing touchpoints and providing a safe environment for members. Followed by ways to create revenue streams.

Absurd? Really? How so, pre lockdown we enforced distancing very successfully and will do so again when we open. All the other points you make were also actioned pre lockdown. Some of which we will add too and improve upon to make the environment as safe as possible.

We aren't really enforcing anything we are opening up for play with in the guidelines set out, and doing what we can to ensure compliance from our end. If people wish to travel and po in with out booking that is their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

All golfers check-in before playing
    Bring proof of address
    Compare to 5km
    Allow or deny

You don't need to do anything with brs
    If someone outside the restriction area turns up, you turn them away.

You can disable them at that point if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

GreeBo wrote: »
    Bring proof of address
    Compare to 5km
    Allow or deny

It's very easy to organise but I am seeing a mindset from some "officials" in clubs that they are going to neglect the distance.
    Hopefully the GUI announcement will add some clarity on what the club officials should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Most clubs I know of already created a safe social distancing, touch free environment before the lockdown began.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    My whole point is all or nothing, you can't cherry pick what's ESSENTIAL and what's not based on the economy..My job is no way essential but is deemed ok now to do whereas previously it was not...Every job/activity outside medical is unnessasary in the grand scheme of things so if for Economy sake not health issues that the government are sayng "You're ok now back to work you go" That doesn't help anyone so they give an inch and we take a yard that's the way it is so you can sit on your high horse and preach all you want but Golf courses will be open on 18th I've paid my membership and I'm up there..U wonder how many smug people on here are basically summer golfers and haven't GOT AROUND to pay their subs so no loss to them

Way to miss the point - the restrictions are being loosened to see what happens not because we know what will happen. That'swhy it'simportant to stick with the programme and not act on the basis of "sure it's just 0.7km."

And golf courses will only be open under certain conditions - it's not an unconditional opening - and one of those conditions is no one from outside 5km. If people can't abide by that, and clubs are unwilling or unable to police those conditions then answer will be obvious and golf will be closed down again with no second chance until the epidemiological situation massively improves.

The "I've paid my membership and I'm up there" attitude will go a long way to making sure that membership is wasted in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Bring proof of address
    Compare to 5km
    Allow or deny

No checking in where I play to ensure zero contact.

I could see absolute carnage in clubs if they start sending people home.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

I’d imagine there will be members in clubs rightly of the mindset that ‘I’m 9km from the club, so I’ll wait to play’.

They wait and play but then they hear of members 15k from the club who played during the travel restriction period. What kind of animosity would this create in a club?

Quite a lot is the answer. Clubs will set out guidelines and they will enforce them. Otherwise there will be splits in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I’d imagine there will be members in clubs rightly of the mindset that ‘I’m 9km from the club, so I’ll wait to play’.

They wait and play but then they hear of members 15k from the club who played during the travel restriction period. What kind of animosity would this create in a club?

Quite a lot is the answer. Clubs will set out guidelines and they will enforce them. Otherwise there will be splits in the club.

Its kinda pathetic though, grown adults trying to get around or ignore rules that were put in place to protect people, including themselves.

We shouldn't need Garda or Clubs enforcing the rules, people just need to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

If people think that clubs will enforce the 5km then I must say I find that very hard to believe. Clubs would set themselves up for a world of pain. Can you imagine the scenes at the club house or first tee?
    Everything else has been down to a few garda checkpoints plus personal responsibility. You think golf clubs are going to start policing? Resulting in mighty rows with some of their members? Presumably with the more opinionated ones too?
    Not going to happen. I can virtually guarantee you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It is a very very bad idea clubs trying to become enforcers.

What next, go around car park - checking tax and insurance , call Garda if someone has 2 pints.

I do get the responsible logic of some industries saying - we can not afford to close down again , so we will be whiter than white - go past the guidelines.

But , this is very very misjudged.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Its kinda pathetic though, grown adults trying to get around or ignore rules that were put in place to protect people, including themselves.

We shouldn't need Garda or Clubs enforcing the rules, people just need to grow up.

Honestly GreeBo - I get your attitude on this. But, you must have broken a rule in your life ?

This is probably going to be one of the main issues here. Somebody who's within the 5Km zone turns up to play and sees that a member who lives just up the road from his playing partner is there and phones his mate that evening to tell him that "Mick was there today, no problem. Rock up tomorrow and we'll have a game".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭newport2

I hope you're right on this and the clubs do. I can live with waiting the extra 3 weeks, but it will make it harder if others outside the 5k limit go and play golf and nobody says a word. A strong stand taken by clubs will make things easier for everyone.

Lol. Sorry but lol.

You think that not enforcing will create splits and rows?
    Wait til you see what happens if enforcement by clubs was going to happen. Splits and rows the likes you've never seen before. It would be madness,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Clubs are not going to tell member x that he can’t put his name down on the timesheet cause he lives 9km away and risk them losing even more members !! Pie in the sky stuff if you think that’ll happen. If a club dies has a brain fart and thinks of doing it , sure who would want to be a member of that place in the first place. Enforcing those rules are for the guards .

I can just visually it. Club trying to enforce 5km rule then committee member who lives outside 5km seen on the course. There'll be murder.

I know people will say that it will be all good if we all are responsible and the club will be responsible bladibla.

Then there is the real world...

Its not a case of enforcing anything, we are opening in compliance of the new regulations. We will not lose members on the back of this, believe it or not there are people out there who understand the need for these guideline and our compliance. Our members will be emailed and notified of the actions the club is taking, as I said if they wish to pop down and play so be it. We will not be standing at the front gate with baseball bats wrapped in razor wire demanding they turn back. We are simply looking at this as an option to say we have done our bit and we hope if you do your's we will be back to welcoming all to playing full and regular golf. The Gaurds will not be roaming around golf clubs enforcing this and no one really expects them to, the responsibility lies with the individual to have a bit of common sense and do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Mine closed down!

hawkelady wrote: »
    Clubs are not going to tell member x that he can’t put his name down on the timesheet cause he lives 9km away and risk them losing even more members !! Pie in the sky stuff if you think that’ll happen. If a club dies has a brain fart and thinks of doing it , sure who would want to be a member of that place in the first place. Enforcing those rules are for the guards .

Guards would't have to enforce anything if people used a little common sense and adopted a bit of personal responsibility.

Mine closed down!

Your club closed down?

neckedit wrote: »
    Guards would't have to enforce anything if people used a little common sense and adopted a bit of personal responsibility.

I mean guards on checkpoint duty asking where you’re going !
    I must have taken you up wrong as if you are just issuing members with a courtesy mail advising them of the government recommendations and not actually telling certain members that they cannot play. That’s fair enough.

Expect your course to be busy from the 18th onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

hawkelady wrote: »

Imagine a golf club wanting to see rules enforced!!!

Imagine a golf club wanting to see rules enforced!!!

We’ll have a clearer picture on the 18th but I think you’ll be disappointed if you are hoping golf clubs will only allow members who live within 5km to play

• Advertisement

Lol. Sorry but lol.

You think that not enforcing will create splits and rows?
    Wait til you see what happens if enforcement by clubs was going to happen. Splits and rows the likes you've never seen before. It would be madness,
    Would it? Would members really stand up on their hind legs and complain that their club was following the rules laid down by the government? I think they certainly would if they knew that the club was completely ignoring the guidance and allowing some people play who shouldn't whilst other members acted responsibly and stayed away. Those members would quite rightly be incensed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement