Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Would it? Would members really stand up on their hind legs and complain that their club was following the rules laid down by the government? I think they certainly would if they knew that the club was completely ignoring the guidance and allowing some people play who shouldn't whilst other members acted responsibly and stayed away. Those members would quite rightly be incensed.

The majority wouldn't. But there'd be enough who would yes. You can see it here already. People saying it has to be all or nothing. same is going to happen IRL.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

I think The GUI should recommend to all clubs not to open until all travel restrictions are lifted.
    You can see the division it's creating even on this forum.
    Imagine the PR disaster countrywide.
    Financially what difference would a few weeks of comp fees from members make anyway.
    The income for clubs this time of the year is green fees and bar/restaurant.
    Hand on heart if it stays as is I along with others will be tempted to travel the extra few kms for my golf fix.
    Before you string me up look at youself and question honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I see two things.

1. Golf allowed to resume on the 18th

2. 5Km travel distance for exercise

I see the two separately. I really don't think it should be up to clubs to enforce this rule. Should clubs also check cars for tax and insurance before they can sign in? No, of course they shouldn't.

I wouldn't be so quick to do a pile-on to those who say they will travel a bit farther than allowed. A lot of people are really struggling staying at home and not everyone's home life is rosy.

Also, to those who are up on their high-horse, have you never (ever) broken any laws? broke the speed limit?

For the record, I live a stones-throw away from my course.

The governments approach is already ultra conservative. In part that is surely owed to them knowing what each relaxation will mean with all its consequences.

They know that if they say 2km there will be a percentage not strictly adhering to it. Same with 5. Same with everything.

The more we talk this into a big thing the more likely it is to become a big thing. Let things run their course. Most people will comply. Be grand.

Of course easy for me to say. I could have played under the 2km rule already.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

hawkelady wrote: »
    We’ll have a clearer picture on the 18th but I think you’ll be disappointed if you are hoping golf clubs will only allow members who live within 5km to play

I'd be far more disappointed at members who ignore the restrictions to turn up and play. The club isnt there to make sure you obey the rules yunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The majority wouldn't. But there'd be enough who would yes. You can see it here already. People saying it has to be all or nothing. same is going to happen IRL.

The reasoning behind that argument eludes me.
    "I want golf courses to be open so badly that I demand they remain closed longer until everyone can play"?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

neckedit wrote: »
    Your club closed down?

Yes it did. gutted.

Apprently going back to farmland...however, surrounding land has been rezoned for residential!

GreeBo wrote: »
    The reasoning behind that argument eludes me.
    "I want golf courses to be open so badly that I demand they remain closed longer until everyone can play"?:confused:

I think its more the other way around they're arguing.

If its open for some (5km) then it should be open for all. Like as in what difference is 10 km drive making over 5 km drive?

Before you lash into me - I'm leaving my personal opinion out of this - only saying what their argument is.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Remind me wrote: »
    No checking in where I play to ensure zero contact.

I could see absolute carnage in clubs if they start sending people home.

You are right and then they will close for good coz members will bale to clubs who allow members to play

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You're putting far too much faith in what people are saying on an anonymous bulletin board. What exactly are they going to accuse their clubs of? Following the rules laid down by government? This isn't some rule that can be blithely ignored. There have been well over 100 arrests to date of people breaking the limits without a legitimate reason.

My experience would suggest that the overwhelming majority of people would be far more incensed by a blind eye being turned and inconsistency than strict adherence to the rules. As long as it's the same for everybody affected, then there's very little to get excited about. But I'm sure there will be some who will throw the toys out of the pram. Not sure that's a good reason to turn a blind eye to what is actually law breaking.

But we'll see what the GUI say when they publish their guidance tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

It is a very very bad idea clubs trying to become enforcers.

What next, go around car park - checking tax and insurance , call Garda if someone has 2 pints.

I do get the responsible logic of some industries saying - we can not afford to close down again , so we will be whiter than white - go past the guidelines.

But , this is very very misjudged.

Agree - badly misjudged. I'm sticking with my decision to not play if rules still in place (7.2km from course, not urban area), but have no problem with anyone taking a different decision. Stand by my point that this rule is completely wrong - and I will hold my hands up to a small bit of self-centred navel-gazing:o

It seems we will have;
    • anger from members >5km not being allowed to play
    • anger from those inside 5km directed at any member travelling more than 5km to play
    • anger from those further than 5km who don't play directed at those also further than 5km who decide to play

I'm angry that my membership fee will now be used to ensure course is playable for half the members, instead of continuing course improvements in the absence of all members for the next three weeks.

I'm resigned at this point. I had a small glimmer of optimism that somehow reason and logic would prevail ahead of 18th May. But not now in light of Tony Holohan's statement last night that if the numbers were the same close to 18th May he would not recommend any lifting of current restrictions.

Would there be a different conversation on here if they decided to extend current restrictions again so golf courses wouldn't open in Phase 1?

Mine closed down!

And very sorry to hear that btw

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Yes it did. gutted.

Apprently going back to farmland...however, surrounding land has been rezoned for residential!

Castle Barna?

Yes it did. gutted.

Castle Barna? Sorry for your trouble. We may lose more before this is over. :(

Which is why I think the initiative that New Forest have taken: €100 monthly membership up to the end of August, reduced memberships from now until the end of the year and the end of next year are such a good idea and would help enormously with both those who can't get to their own golf clubs due to distance restrictions and with funds for the clubs concerned while they can't get any green fees or societies in.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

The passive voice is a theme on this thread from all those who say the clubs won’t enforce the rules.

Clubs wouldn’t dare enforce the rules, there would be mahem and outrage.

=

My club wouldn’t dare stop me breaking the rules, if it does I’ll cause mahem by turning up and be outraged.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Its a strange discussion in strange times. I totally get the members are looking to play on the 18th who live more than 5kms from their club as the weather has been good and this is prime golf time. Dreading next month and the Summer Solstice on the 21st - next we'll have the evenings closing in and not a ball hit - however - we need to do our bit to fight this virus. We have to or we will be stuck with it for a very very long time.

People can't be told not to travel >5kms but some will. Some will go to clubs and other activities, I actually think the travel restriction should have been lifted before we were told we can go back to limited sports etc. this eliminates all temptation to travel. I know clubs need money etc but by allowing members to play, what income is this bringing in?

My OH is self employed and out of work the last 7 weeks, I was told yesterday I'm on reduced hours, not an ideal situation. I want to go play golf, soccer etc but I can't, we all can't just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lol. Sorry but lol.

You think that not enforcing will create splits and rows?
    Wait til you see what happens if enforcement by clubs was going to happen. Splits and rows the likes you've never seen before. It would be madness,

Imagine a club manager - who has been at home on full pay - rocks up (he himself from > 20 km - who now claims to be at necessary work , telling a fully paid member from 5.1 km away he can not play who has just lost his job.

War - so many members will walk.

Will be crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

I think people should pin thier colours to the mast to get an idea of their position.
    I'm 17kms away and tempted.

Castle Barna? Sorry for your trouble. We may lose more before this is over. :(

Which is why I think the initiative that New Forest have taken: €100 monthly membership up to the end of August, reduced memberships from now until the end of the year and the end of next year are such a good idea and would help enormously with both those who can't get to their own golf clubs due to distance restrictions and with funds for the clubs concerned while they can't get any green fees or societies in.

This is very interesting - no use to me personally but there are plenty of golfers who have a course closer than their 'home course', and could play within their restrictions as a temporary member, great way to raise some cash too.

Would this be easy to put in place, from a paperwork, or from a club regulations regarding new members (need an existing member to put you forward), point of view?

Would existing members have objections to something like this do you think?

Imagine a club manager - who has been at home on full pay - rocks up (he himself from > 20 km - who now claims to be at necessary work , telling a fully paid member from 5.1 km away he can not play who has just lost his job.

War - so many members will walk.

Will be crazy stuff.
    To be fair, he's not 'claiming' it, he is actually doing necessary work. As are the greenkeepers and ground staff. Come on Fix, you know this.

• Advertisement

Agree - badly misjudged. I'm sticking with my decision to not play if rules still in place (7.2km from course, not urban area), but have no problem with anyone taking a different decision. Stand by my point that this rule is completely wrong - and I will hold my hands up to a small bit of self-centred navel-gazing:o

It seems we will have;
    • anger from members >5km not being allowed to play
    • anger from those inside 5km directed at any member travelling more than 5km to play
    • anger from those further than 5km who don't play directed at those also further than 5km who decide to play

I'm angry that my membership fee will now be used to ensure course is playable for half the members, instead of continuing course improvements in the absence of all members for the next three weeks.

I'm resigned at this point. I had a small glimmer of optimism that somehow reason and logic would prevail ahead of 18th May. But not now in light of Tony Holohan's statement last night that if the numbers were the same close to 18th May he would not recommend any lifting of current restrictions.

Would there be a different conversation on here if they decided to extend current restrictions again so golf courses wouldn't open in Phase 1?

I personally would prefer - all in , or nobody in.

Honestly.

To be fair, he's not 'claiming' it, he is actually doing necessary work. As are the greenkeepers and ground staff. Come on Fix, you know this.

Management ?

Most my managers are off site.

I actually understand this - but perception of banned golfer will be problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'd be far more disappointed at members who ignore the restrictions to turn up and play. The club isnt there to make sure you obey the rules yunno.

Not many people/members would care if an individual was “ disappointed” in them or not !! We aren’t in a playground “ yunno”!
    Are you a person that would ask another member on the 1st tee how far away from the course do they live? And if they even reply to you and say 10km , would you tut tut at them?

If you read my comments you’d also know that I’m quite aware that clubs aren’t there to make sure you obey the rules , which is why most , if not all clubs won’t question their members and refuse golf or cause a “ scene” if they live 10 miles away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The country is in the process of opening up and more and more "nonessential" things will be allowed. Come the 18th anyone working in golf clubs will be allowed back to work. It's absolutely critical that people get back to work as soon as possible.

This is very interesting - no use to me personally but there are plenty of golfers who have a course closer than their 'home course', and could play within their restrictions as a temporary member, great way to raise some cash too.

Would this be easy to put in place, from a paperwork, or from a club regulations regarding new members (need an existing member to put you forward), point of view?

Would existing members have objections to something like this do you think?
    I know if my club did it, I would be very welcoming of it. I know some clubs are well stocked with members, but numbers are dwindling generally. And there are many clubs that have introductory offers like joining in October and getting the rest of the year free (effectively 15 months membership for the price of 12).

From a paperwork point of view, the only issue i would see is that they wouldn't be registered with the GUI. But since competitions will be a while away, that's not really going to be a problem. I would also think you could waive the 'existing member' requirement or at least just have it okayed by the committee for the short term ones. The people looking for full membership to the end of the year or the following year would be handled in the normal way I imagine.

There are certainly more positives than negatives to the idea imo.

Management ?

Most my managers are off site.

I actually understand this - but perception of banned golfer will be problem.
    But this role isn't 'management' really. It's more customer facing and presence to deal with queries, mail, membership applications etc. Bank and supermarket managers aren't working from home either.

hawkelady wrote: »
    Not many people/members would care if an individual was “ disappointed” in them or not !! We aren’t in a playground “ yunno”!
    Are you a person that would ask another member on the 1st tee how far away from the course do they live? And if they even reply to you and say 10km , would you tut tut at them?

If you read my comments you’d also know that I’m quite aware that clubs aren’t there to make sure you obey the rules , which is why most , if not all clubs won’t question their members and refuse golf or cause a “ scene” if they live 10 miles away

I personally would not be like what you describe.

But - you know, there is global pandemic going on out there. We can not ignore that.

People are naturally going to have a feelings about the right and wrong thing to do - Every day during this , you see things and internally you know - that is not right or getting into the idea of it.

Kids playing together on the road whose parents should know better
    families getting together when they should not
    People not cleaning their hands
    people ignoring social distancing
    Cyclists doing their usual 80 km up Howth head

Whether golfers like it or not - if you break the 5 km rule - people will be viewed as one of the above - add it to the list.

The problem with Covid - it is not "none of your business" is it ?
    It is supposed to be about the collective.

Am I missing something.

Lads can do what ever the hell they like, but don't expect a clean , un-judged run. Be honest with yourself.

But this role isn't 'management' really. It's more customer facing and presence to deal with queries, mail, membership applications etc. Bank and supermarket managers aren't working from home either.

Some club managers - have a very low profile front of house presence.

I know if my club did it, I would be very welcoming of it. I know some clubs are well stocked with members, but numbers are dwindling generally. And there are many clubs that have introductory offers like joining in October and getting the rest of the year free (effectively 15 months membership for the price of 12).

From a paperwork point of view, the only issue i would see is that they wouldn't be registered with the GUI. But since competitions will be a while away, that's not really going to be a problem. I would also think you could waive the 'existing member' requirement or at least just have it okayed by the committee for the short term ones. The people looking for full membership to the end of the year or the following year would be handled in the normal way I imagine.

There are certainly more positives than negatives to the idea imo.

Very good way for clubs to raise funds - could restrict it to those with an existing handicap, easily checked. Would restore much goodwill if clubs were at least seen to be trying to get golfers back on courses, while still abiding by restrictions. If I did have a course within 5km, would definitely consider handing over cash for one months temporary membership. Might have to eat pasta for a month, but worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

I live 7.3k from my course, I probably wont chance it as i can just imagine one of my playing partners asking me where i live on the 2nd hole and watch him proceed to pull out google maps to check the distance creating unnecessary tension for the remainder of the round......only a boll*ox would do that anyway but they do exist

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement