Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Break80 wrote: »
    I think people should pin thier colours to the mast to get an idea of their position.
    I'm 17kms away and tempted.

I'm 12km driving (8km as the crow flies) Break80. I'm going to skip the first phase, definitely. But I also have an underlying health condition so that's colouring my decision.

It's a killer, but I'd rather see how things play out a little longer before I take any chances with my own health

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

I'm 12km driving (8km as the crow flies) Break80. I'm going to skip the first phase, definitely. But I also have an underlying health condition so that's colouring my decision.

It's a killer, but I'd rather see how things play out a little longer before I take any chances with my own health

I'm within the 5k radius but have to travel more than 5 to get there, takes me outside the radius for about 2-3 minutes. I will be playing from the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Yes it did. gutted.

Apprently going back to farmland...however, surrounding land has been rezoned for residential!

Ah man, sorry to hear this. may I ask is it Castle Barna?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

Stacksey wrote: »
    I live 7.3k from my course, I probably wont chance it as i can just imagine one of my playing partners asking me where i live on the 2nd hole and watch him proceed to pull out google maps to check the distance creating unnecessary tension for the remainder of the round......only a boll*ox would do that anyway but they do exist

This is a club I would never want to be a member of.
    The reason i asked the question is the most high horsed advisors on here don't seem to be affected by the restrictions .

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

I live 7.3k from my course, I probably wont chance it as i can just imagine one of my playing partners asking me where i live on the 2nd hole and watch him proceed to pull out google maps to check the distance creating unnecessary tension for the remainder of the round......only a boll*ox would do that anyway but they do exist

"So where do you live yourself?"

"In the East of the country".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Just realised that had we stuck with imperial system and not that blasted European metric rubbish the 5km radius was literally a 7 iron past my house......ggggrrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The reason i asked the question is the most high horsed advisors on here don't seem to be affected by the restrictions .

Maybe ?

But there is a chance some believe in them - I'll be able to play. The bedlam and mania around getting onto the course at start will not be for me.

I can't see me availing in first while - as you are still playing golf with a group of people I'd rather not. I wasn't playing with anyone in week or two prior to lockdown - and I'm not sure that will be enabled when things open up.

I'll see how it pans out -

To be honest it is not high horse for me - I'm fairly strong believer in the stats and the science.

Our numbers and growth rates are still way too high at present. 1.1 % versus what you would hope for of less than .5 % or even into single digits per day cases.

Maybe nearer 18th things will be better and perhaps government will review their very Conservative current path to exit.

I'll be more hopeful when we see cases drop more -

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Very good way for clubs to raise funds - could restrict it to those with an existing handicap, easily checked. Would restore much goodwill if clubs were at least seen to be trying to get golfers back on courses, while still abiding by restrictions. If I did have a course within 5km, would definitely consider handing over cash for one months temporary membership. Might have to eat pasta for a month, but worth it.
    Another club with a somewhat similar offer. No monthly option though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I think people should pin thier colours to the mast to get an idea of their position.
    I'm 17kms away and tempted.

My club is 55kms from my house but 4kms from work. I have a letter to travel to work, if needed, and probably could sneak out for a round after a few hours in the office but I'm not going to bother, I think I'll wait.
    Not trying to be any kind of martyr or any of that, am just happy to wait until its right and safer to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

I'm well outside the 5km but under 20km. Have no problem waiting until phase 2. Was thinking June in my head from the start so I'm non fussed about it.
    Just a game at the end of the day. I enjoy the weekly round but my life doesn't revolve around golf so im not bothered to wait an extra few weeks for a game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Not trying to be any kind of martyr or any of that, am just happy to wait until its right and safer to do so.

This is my own thinking. Happy enough to wait until its right. If people want to break the guidelines then that's up to them.

BoldReason wrote: »
    I'm well outside the 5km but under 20km. Have no problem waiting until phase 2. Was thinking June in my head from the start so I'm non fussed about it.
    Just a game at the end of the day. I enjoy the weekly round but my life doesn't revolve around golf so im not bothered to wait an extra few weeks for a game.

I think this is part of the problem - for many on here , their life does revolve around golf. I'd have to add myself - but have had a strange different perspective on this. In this context, it is just golf - and just for a few weeks more.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

We received notifications today.

Members only
    Non Competitive golf in groups of 3 in 14 minute intervals
    chipping area, putting green and nets are out of use

arrive 10 minutes before tee time and leave immediately having finished

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Thats good news although I hope we won't be doing that 14 minutes nonsense. Distancing is 2 metres not 2 kilometres. Don't know what the GUI were thinking putting that in their draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Thats good news although I hope we won't be doing that 14 minutes nonsense. Distancing is 2 metres not 2 kilometres. Don't know what the GUI were thinking putting that in their draft.

Well if courses have par 3s early in the round there can be some early bottlenecking, so I guess the extra couple if minutes are to try avoid that happening

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Why is it nonsense? Do you understand why it's there?

It's there to prevent backlogs out the course and having groups bunched together on tees, far from nonsense.

That is it for me - the initial golf they are talking about is a load of balls versus what my golf is for me.

They way they are talking about 15 people getting out an hour (actually less) - and at peak times , you will have the usual dudes booking everything up , for them and their clique - who half they don't even know if they are turning up and playing.

If it is that craic - one booking per person , leave it or lump it.

Why is it nonsense? Do you understand why it's there?

It's there to prevent backlogs out the course and having groups bunched together on tees, far from nonsense.

it is daft - because , if groups can not social distance - there should be no golf anyway , never mind distance to another group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It is totally daft. Even if there was 3 groups hanging around one tee for a while. So what? Thats 9 people in total. If we don't trust 9 people to stay 2 metres apart for a few minutes then we shouldn't be letting people outside the house in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

hawkelady wrote: »
    Not many people/members would care if an individual was “ disappointed” in them or not !! We aren’t in a playground “ yunno”!
    And this attitude is why some clubs have more stringent joining requirements than others.
    If you dont care what other members think about your actions, especially when you are demonstrably in the wrong, well I think that says more about you than your club or the other members.
    Are you a person that would ask another member on the 1st tee how far away from the course do they live? And if they even reply to you and say 10km , would you tut tut at them?

I might even go so far as to bite my thumb at them.

• Advertisement

It is totally daft. Even if there was 3 groups hanging around one tee for a while. So what? Thats 9 people in total. If we don't trust 9 people to stay 2 metres apart for a few minutes then we shouldn't be letting people outside the house in the first place.

Lads I just did above out in excel.

Only 105 people will get out from 0700 hrs to 1503 hrs.

Jaysus - will be a nightmare. The usual tee time chasers will have bots trying to get the tee times.

I couldn't be arsed to be honest - and to make things worse - why close practice areas .

GreeBo wrote: »
    And this attitude is why some clubs have more stringent joining requirements than others.
    If you dont care what other members think about your actions, especially when you are demonstrably in the wrong, well I think that says more about you than your club or the other members.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I would have thought that only a boll*ox would ignore restrictions that are designed to protect people from a global pandemic purely to have a round of golf, however it appears that these people do exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Hahaha. I suppose every club has folk that love a good moan ,, I’m 3km from my club so doesn’t affect me at all. I’m just thinking of what Most people will do .. I couldn’t care less if my playing partner drove 100 km to play .. he’s paid his sub and unless the club tell him not to show up ( they won’t) and he doesn’t insist on shaking my hand after the round , who am I to act like a dick and start preaching ?

Would you prefer that all golf clubs stay closed ?

Hahaha. I suppose every club has folk that love a good moan ,, I’m 3km from my club so doesn’t affect me at all. I’m just thinking of what Most people will do .. I couldn’t care less if my playing partner drove 100 km to play .. he’s paid his sub and unless the club tell him not to show up ( they won’t) and he doesn’t insist on shaking my hand after the round , who am I to act like a dick and start preaching ?
    Why would someone pay more attention to something that their club doesn't ask them to do, than what their government does ask them to do?

Can you explain the logic there? Surely the government trumps some committee?
    No, I'd prefer that people just obeyed the goverment guidelines.

I would have thought that only a boll*ox would ignore restrictions that are designed to protect people from a global pandemic purely to have a round of golf, however it appears that these people do exist.

Roughly What % of people in the country are currently abiding by the rules today? Your honest opinion ? Do you shake your fist at cars at the end of your road?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

If people start driving up to 100km for golf and they start tracking new infection vectors back to them and their golf club, then yes, all golf clubs will be closed again.

Roughly What % of people in the country are currently abiding by the rules today? Your honest opinion ?

But this is just back to the argument of "but those other people are breaking the rules so why cant I?"

I have been reliably informed that we are *not* in a playground, so I dont see why playground logic can be used to justify behaviour.
    Do you shake your fist at cars at the end of your road?
    No, for those I curl my lip and sometimes give a spirited "hurrumph".

Why would someone pay more attention to something that their club doesn't ask them to do, than what their government does ask them to do?

Cause without members , there is no club and if you are a member of a golf club you presumably joined it to play golf .. And clubs haven’t been given the authority to tell members who live 6km to stay away. Rather than focusing your narrow mindedness on individual folk that want to play golf, something they have paid for , maybe focus on the governing bodies and the rushed guidelines they have set .
    If a member is stopped by a guard on the way to the club and is told to turn around , that’s ok too cause someone in authority has made a decision, but I doubt that’s going to happen .

Fishing is allowed too on the 18th , but only if you live within the 5km. Another one that easy to enforce

• Advertisement

Cause without members , there is no club and if you are a member of a golf club you presumably joined it to play golf .. And clubs haven’t been given the authority to tell members who live 6km to stay away. Rather than focusing your narrow mindedness on individual folk that want to play golf, something they have paid for , maybe focus on the governing bodies and the rushed guidelines they have set .
    If a member is stopped by a guard on the way to the club and is told to turn around , that’s ok too cause someone in authority has made a decision, but I doubt that’s going to happen .

Fishing is allowed too on the 18th , but only if you live within the 5km. Another one that easy to enforce

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement