Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

I would say - anyone playing outside the 5km , is fooling themselves trying to justify it - there is no justification , it is just what it is.

This is the crux of it for me. I couldn't care less what people do. I won't be going myself and would hope others do the same if they don't I won't lose sleep over it. But saying ah sher it's only a couple of km I'll be grand on here or to others is trying to justify it to themselves as you say.

Live and let live. People should be wise enough to make up their own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Can I put a hypothetical question to you Space ..and others..as it stands there is a 5km travel limit imposed and I understand that before the lockdown you weren't going to play The Curragh as you have an underlying condition..So everyone was delighted that golf was on the agenda to start back on the 18th RIGHT ? Then the realisation that the 5km restiction was not being lifted so elation to disappointment in a short period of time Bummer ! Tell me how many of the naysayers were polishing up the clubs before the 5km realisation hit home ?..So it's still not safe you say, that's for your concience ..So remember you are now looking to 8th June.its not safe to play till then as many have said and believe so they dare not go beyond this 5km limit...So now the government come out and say "Actually if you are a member of a golf club and you travel there and back alone you can go " Nothing changes from what people are going to do anyway but as many have said The Risk is greater the further you travel so we couldn't risk it...Now they haven't lifted the 5km limit to all it's just a small minority of people partaking in extra exercise..Question.. If above (hypotetically speaking were to happen would you still wait till 8th June ?? Baring in mind Risk is still there....

On the 8th the risk will be less as growth will be less (IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

We received notifications today.

Members only
    Non Competitive golf in groups of 3 in 14 minute intervals
    chipping area, putting green and nets are out of use

arrive 10 minutes before tee time and leave immediately having finished

Don't have a problem with that, don't see (only inside 5km) any limitations..it's basically what most clubs were doing pre shutdown

BoldReason wrote: »
    This is the crux of it for me. I couldn't care less what people do. I won't be going myself and would hope others do the same if they don't I won't lose sleep over it. But saying ah sher it's only a couple of km I'll be grand on here or to others is trying to justify it to themselves as you say.

Live and let live. People should be wise enough to make up their own mind.

This is one of the few things in my life that the saying live and let live does not apply.

Because - it is about not living to let live.

Don't have a problem with that, don't see (only inside 5km) any limitations..it's basically what most clubs were doing pre shutdown

Are you going to play ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

GreeBo wrote: »
    And as soon as you decide that the number (whatever number you decide) isnt fixed it becomes pointless.
    I said it earlier, I can add 1Km to any distance you give me and use that as an argument to break the restrictions.

I stand behind what I've been saying all along on this topic. Its black and white, its either safe to play golf or it's not. Not it's safe if you live near the golf course but it's not if you don't. Either the golf courses are open for all members or they're not. Will be an interesting few weeks to see how this all unfolds. I'm outside the 5km radius and won't dare darken the course for the first few days after the 18th. Have a feeling this one won't play out well

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Can I put a hypothetical question to you Space ..and others..as it stands there is a 5km travel limit imposed and I understand that before the lockdown you weren't going to play The Curragh as you have an underlying condition..So everyone was delighted that golf was on the agenda to start back on the 18th RIGHT ? Then the realisation that the 5km restiction was not being lifted so elation to disappointment in a short period of time Bummer ! Tell me how many of the naysayers were polishing up the clubs before the 5km realisation hit home ?..So it's still not safe you say, that's for your concience ..So remember you are now looking to 8th June.its not safe to play till then as many have said and believe so they dare not go beyond this 5km limit...So now the government come out and say "Actually if you are a member of a golf club and you travel there and back alone you can go " Nothing changes from what people are going to do anyway but as many have said The Risk is greater the further you travel so we couldn't risk it...Now they haven't lifted the 5km limit to all it's just a small minority of people partaking in extra exercise..Question.. If above (hypotetically speaking were to happen would you still wait till 8th June ?? Baring in mind Risk is still there....

Any chance of an answer to either of my questions:
    1) How far is too far?
    2) Your version of the regulations?

If you still dont get the limits and why you cant just fudge them to suit yourself, ask yourself how many people live within 5km of your club.
    Then ask yourself how many people live within 10km of the club?

Here is hint:
    The area of a circle with a radius of 5KM is 78.5KM2
    The area of a circle with a radius of 10KM is 314KM2
    Our population density is 77.8/km2

almostover wrote: »
    I stand behind what I've been saying all along on this topic. Its black and white, its either safe to play golf or it's not. Not it's safe if you live near the golf course but it's not if you don't. Either the golf courses are open for all members or they're not. Will be an interesting few weeks to see how this all unfolds. I'm outside the 5km radius and won't dare darken the course for the first few days after the 18th. Have a feeling this one won't play out well

But its not that black and white. The virus has no idea if you are playing golf or not, all it knows is social interaction and vectors.

To slow the spread the government has regulations to limit social interaction. They are now extending that to see the impact and to determine when they can extend further or in fact if they can at all.
    The fact that its golf is kinda irrelevant really.

Heres yet another way to look at it. My local parks are open for people to exercise in, should they be closed because people more than 2km (or now 5km) away cant reach them? Either they should be open for everyone or no one, so now there are none open. Same for beaches. Same for a field nearby.
    You've just talked yourself into a total lockdown, instead be thankful for what you have got.

The club doesnt have to mention 5km restrictions, the government has already done that?
    The club also doesnt mention no murdering or stealing while playing golf, does that mean its The Purge now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

But its not that black and white. The virus has no idea if you are playing golf or not, all it knows is social interaction and vectors.

To slow the spread the government has regulations to limit social interaction. They are now extending that to see the impact and to determine when they can extend further or in fact if they can at all.

Heres yet another way to look at it. My local parks are open for people to exercise in, should they be closed because people more than 2km (or now 5km) away cant reach them? Either they should be open for everyone or no one, so now there are none open. Same for beaches. Same for a field nearby.
    You've just talked yourself into a total lockdown, instead be thankful for what you have got.

Yes, much of that is true. But golf is an exception in that people pay money to be members of a club. Those other amenities are free to all members of the public. It's unfair to expect more distant members to subsidise those who live closer given that everyone pays the same subs.

• Advertisement

I'll try asking this again since I still haven't seen an answer on this thread.
    For those who are going to ignore the 5KM restriction, what distance is too far for you?
    10?
    20?
    50?
    100?

Or are you basically saying that you will play golf either way, irrespective of any distance restriction and hence this idea of 5.3km or 7km is really just a diversionary tactic?

As far as you can get away with travelling on your own...no problem I hope that satisfys you now...Pitiful sorry life you must lead, sure you be better off burying yourself in a cave or something...One thing I've noticed on this Boards thing is YOU are always right (not) so there isn't much point arguing or debating with you anymore, must be the former mod in you that thinks you are always right...

As far as you can get away with travelling on your own...no problem I hope that satisfys you now...Pitiful sorry life you must lead, sure you be better off burying yourself in a cave or something...One thing I've noticed on this Boards thing is YOU are always right (not) so there isn't much point arguing or debating with you anymore, must be the former mod in you that thinks you are always right...

One thing I'm noticing is that the people on your side of the fence resort to personal attacks whenever they are asked to justify their opinions.
    You might not like that fact that I keep bringing up the same awkward questions that you refuse to answer, but until you can answer them, anything else you say is just meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

What do you mean by "get away with"? Is this like drink driving or speeding or something similar?

almostover wrote: »
    Yes, much of that is true. But golf is an exception in that people pay money to be members of a club. Those other amenities are free to all members of the public. It's unfair to expect more distant members to subsidise those who live closer given that everyone pays the same subs.

How is it subsidising anything?
    The same grass gets cut whether 1 or 1000 people play on it.

and why do you think that goverment regulations would give a fiddlers about whether or not you have paid?
    Should they open the European first because its members pay more than you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

But the parks, beaches and fields have no way of regulating the number of people in them. Golf clubs do. The 2/5km limit provides some method of regulation on numbers for those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

Cant wait till the 18th. Forget agout the golf, there are going to be massive rows in the carparks because of this 5km thingy... all the while trying to maintaining social distaning of course.

But the parks, beaches and fields have no way of regulating the number of people in them. Golf clubs do. The 2/5km limit provides some method of regulation on numbers for those places.

Are you arguing for or against obeying the limits?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

This thread is on its way to closure because a few people just keep throwing mud balls at each other. Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I wont be basing my decision on distance restrictions at all Golfhead. I'll be entirely basing it on risk. So if they lifted the distance tomorrow, 18th May, 8th June, it wont change my decision.

Its killing me missing out on golf. The weather is amazing, and we've had a terrible winter. I should have been on a golf course in Portugal today. But I'd rather wait till the risk is low enough for me to be comfortable, than risk my life for a bit more short term pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I cant see members getting upset with other members for breaching the 5k limit in the vast majority of clubs. Indeed only a handful of people will even be aware of where any given member lives, and they will probably be regular playing partners of such offenders. "Ratting out", therefore, is distinctly unlikely. Decision to adhere to the limit will be entirely up to individuals.

I do, however, think that there will be a heightened sense of awareness of and compliance with the social distancing measures when compared to pre lockdown rounds of golf. And, unless Im very much mistaken, it remains the case that the only way the virus can be transmitted without touching something that isnt yours, is through careless social interaction with those already infected.

The risks in getting there and the possibility of your car breaking down etc, unlikely as such incidents may be, cannot be argued against. But that can happen within a 5km radius as well. In that respect, it could be argued that perhaps it should be all or nothing.

This thing is about burying yourself in a cave - "lockdown".

One thing I'm noticing is that the people on your side of the fence resort to personal attacks whenever they are asked to justify their opinions.
    You might not like that fact that I keep bringing up the same awkward questions that you refuse to answer, but until you can answer them, anything else you say is just meaningless.

It not a personal attack it's just something I picked up on..I've a friend who always thinks he's right, it's his way or no way and throws the baby out with the bathwater if he doesn't get his way, we leave him to it as we know him well and we give him leaway as he comes around to rational thinking eventually..he has asbergers !

It not a personal attack it's just something I picked up on..I've a friend who always thinks he's right, it's his way or no way and throws the baby out with the bathwater if he doesn't get his way, we leave him to it as we know him well and we give him leaway as he comes around to rational thinking eventually..he has asbergers !

And I answered your question !!

Are you going to play Golfhead ?

Yes I am..I am not saying that being bullheaded it's just "The laws an ass " as it's ok to work (non essential) as I stated earlier if gov wanted to squash this NOBODY outside Medics should be working.. A time slot Allocated to everyone to shop for essentials should be done and deliveries to shops from suppliers also timed...I know this seems over the top but so is the regulations.. I pass the club to work but can't play coz I'm .7 outside the zone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

You realise you've just described yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Do you follow every rule that's imposed on you? Do you follow everything someone tells you to do no matter what it is?

Some people don't if they think it's inherently wrong.

No I don’t is the short answer but I wouldn’t waste time justifying myself.

I don’t think anyone could say they’re breaking these public health regulations because they’re “inherently wrong”.

We’ll have Irish Rosa Parks’ all over the country driving to their golf clubs.

I wont be basing my decision on distance restrictions at all Golfhead. I'll be entirely basing it on risk. So if they lifted the distance tomorrow, 18th May, 8th June, it wont change my decision.

Its killing me missing out on golf. The weather is amazing, and we've had a terrible winter. I should have been on a golf course in Portugal today. But I'd rather wait till the risk is low enough for me to be comfortable, than risk my life for a bit more short term pain

Fair enough I'd say, I understand your situation so you wouldn't have gone back anyway until it's erradicated or a vaccine, I get that but I also notice and fair play to you is you're not shouting from the rooftops that "if I can't play you can't play" that's what's happening here because the risk is minimal on a golf course, Park, open spaces for that matter..

BoldReason wrote: »
    You realise you've just described yourself?

Nah, I'm all for doing what anyone wants not doing what I tell you to do unlike some posters do on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Nah, I'm all for doing what anyone wants not doing what I tell you to do unlike some posters do on this
    Nobody here has told you what to do. You've just spent the whole time trying to justify breaking the law and people have pointed out why that's not a good idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement