Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Surly we won't be back playing qualifying golf for a while either with these measures in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ProV

Fantastic effort.

Was watching people at club , at start they just didn't get the 2 meters , even a day ago .

Elbow tapping
    Talking very close to each others

Kids on course daft too, so good call.

I know it's very hard for people to cope with the current crisis, and give good guidance but, Definitely not good advice from the GUI to encourage elbow bumping which by it's nature will be inside the 2M distance. Impossible for Committees to forward on any links to the Golfnet Covid-19 giving this advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

We have closed clubhouse and have someone at the door. One person at the door doing registration and contactless payment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Not arguing against doing it. I'm as clean and separate these days as I ever was and everyone should be the same.

All I'm saying is that some of these measures seem a bit extreme given the odds of actually catching something that way.

Which is still not saying that I'm arguing against doing these things. Just that people should step back a moment and use their heads too. Some are calling for even more drastic measures after all.

Is that a qualified medical opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Not arguing against doing it. I'm as clean and separate these days as I ever was and everyone should be the same.

All I'm saying is that some of these measures seem a bit extreme given the odds of actually catching something that way.

Which is still not saying that I'm arguing against doing these things. Just that people should step back a moment and use their heads too. Some are calling for even more drastic measures after all.
    You're focusing on the remote likelihood that people could sneeze or cough onto a rake or pin. However that's not the most likely scenario. Somebody could cough or sneeze into their hand and then handle the pin or rake. Or touch their mouth or nose and then handle them. Or touch something that somebody else touched and contaminate their hands and then handle the pin or rake etc.

The virus can survive for up to three days on surfaces such as plastic or stainless steel. Up to 24 hours on cardboard, 3 hours in the air. Those are from laboratory tests and mileage may vary depending on environmental factors. But it's worth bearing in mind. For everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The virus can survive for up to three days on surfaces such as plastic or stainless steel. Up to 24 hours on cardboard, 3 hours in the air. Those are from laboratory tests and mileage may vary depending on environmental factors. But it's worth bearing in mind. For everyone.

Can you quote source on that please

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think you need to go look at the state of Northern Italy before you post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Seve OB wrote: »

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200320192755.htm

I’m on the phone so you might need to copy and paste

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

There is a fuller article currently on the BBC Website
    "Neeltje van Doremalen, a virologist at the US National Institutes of Health (NIH), and her colleagues at the Rocky Mountain Laboratories in Hamilton, Montana, have done some of the first tests of how long SARS-CoV-2 can last for on different surfaces. Their study, which has yet to be published in a scientific journal, shows that the virus could survive in droplets for up to three hours after being coughed out into the air. Fine droplets between 1-5 micrometres in size – about 30 times small than the width of a human hair – can remain airborne for several hours in still air."
    We are still learning about this but these Corona Viruses seem quite resilient and i think this hardiness is a major contributor to its spread. I played casulan golf this morning in my club with two guys i know and who are take this seriously but there were people this morning not adhering to the 2 meter recommendations re Social Distancing. I think its important that you know the guys you are playing with and their attitude to this health emergency.

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think you need to go look at the state of Northern Italy before you post again.

Or maybe we should send him there to do a report for us on why we don’t need the further drastic measures that are being called for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

Played with upturned cups today. Had a few putts pop out on me on the practice green but no complaints in the round.

I saw on Instagram that castleknock have installed a collar on each hole. Hit the collar = a made putt which for me will mean people will just ram the ball at the holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

My club have shallow cups and flag has to stay in. Flag in is really annoying, missed 2 putts yesterday which bounced out off flag. It doesn't help that the flags sway with the wind and can be leaning towards you. Anyway I'm just happy to be playing golf at all, it's really helps when you have something to look forward to at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Or maybe we should send him there to do a report for us on why we don’t need the further drastic measures that are being called for.

I don't think touching flagsticks was what lead to the Italy case.

And in any case....
    Its not the individual prevention that matters. Its pointless, we're all going to get it at some stage. Its how many are going to get it over what time. Its about controlling the curve. What difference to the curve would closing golf clubs make especially with the way we're already playing right now not touching anything etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

And in any case....
    Its not the individual prevention that matters. Its pointless, we're all going to get it at some stage. Its how many are going to get it over what time. Its about controlling the curve. What difference to the curve would closing golf clubs make especially with the way we're already playing right now not touching anything etc..

There you go again with unqualified “thoughts” - you’re speaking as though you’re an expert on the subject but I suspect your post above is just you rehashing what you’ve heard in the media/social media

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

I have played golf this week and I enforced the social distancing all the time..... when my partners stepped towards me I put my arm up and tutted 2 metres!!!

I’m completely paranoid and would love to continue playing golf as it really helps at the moment (no matter how bad the golf!) but everyone needs to adopt a similar approach and it’s hard to see this happening and you do tend to wander towards each other around the green without realising.

And in any case....

With respect your attitude stinks.
    If you want it so bad, go walk a few hospital wards.
    I don’t want to ever get it and I hope we don’t all get it.

So therefore I for one don’t think it’s pointless to take all the precautions that we can. F the curve, let’s just flatten it by not giving the fire any fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

And in any case....

Be responsible. Most older people have isolated themselves from their own families and are doing the only outdoor activity of their week on your course with you there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I'm a bit surprised by the general reaction of the golf communuity to the coronavirus crisis, as exemplified both here and in my club. I think generally we could be doing more. For example, I think that at least competitions should be stopped, players playing in groups, and maybe all golf. I've decided to stop playing until this is over. I'm wiling to contribute financially and in other ways to keep our club afloat.

I last played golf on Saturday 14th March in our Saturday comp. Slight restrictive measures were in place then (bumping elbows, etc.) but have obviously been ramped up since. I met the competition secretary out on the course and I remarked to him that I thought we wouldn't be playing golf by the following Saturday, i.e. last Saturday 21st and he seemed to agree. Lo and behold, after a slew of emails and texts were sent out during the week about the further restrictive measures, the competitions went ahead at the weekend. I noted the timesheet on BRS was fairly full with the usual groupings playing in their usual slots.

I love my golf. I had been having a great start to the golfing year, having a few lessons, winning a few non-qualifying comps and making good progress on my swing, so I'm really disappointed that I'll have to stop playing for a while. However, I think it's for the greater good and part of my contribution to flattening the curve. I can get by with swinging a club in my back garden for a while. I can go for a solo walk or a cycle as an outlet. Maybe I'm overreacting - golf is probably relatively safe in comparison to other activities where people group together. Maybe it's good that the oul lads in the club are out there still playing - this thing could wipe out a good few of them if they get it..

I might revise all this after a few weeks/months.. I read somewhere that the human need for social interaction, companionship and intimacy will overcome the fear of death in the long run..

Thoughts?

Our comps are all cancelled
    Clubhouse and pro shop closed
    Casual for only and everyone must be signed in via brs and check-in with caddy master before play
    Practice areas are closed
    Flags are in place but cups are 1 inch above ground
    Clubs to be taken from clubhouse
    Rakes removed from bunkers
    Junior members are not allowed hang around after playing

Actually pro shop is back open, 2 members at a time limited access
    Lessons available for adults only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

We are going online score cards for next weeks competition.
    No matter what u are doing there is a risk golf is a lot lower than doing your weekly shop.
    Most courses are now set up where u can play the round without touching anything.

How many people have touched your sliced pan before you pick it up? Are we going to stop eating bread? There is no way to avoid people going up and down the isles of a super market.

There are stupid people everywhere who won't follow any rules, at the end of the day everyone should follow guidelines and be as safe as possible until we are told to go into complete lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Maybe it's good that the oul lads in the club are out there still playing - this thing could wipe out a good few of them if they get it..

Thoughts?
    I expected a smiley face after this sentence tbh :confused:

Like most our clubhouse closed.
    On course toliets closed.
    Rakes & divot bags removed, ball washers covered, bins covered, benches roped off, air hoses removed.
    Pro shop is open but limited to one person at a time.
    Juniors must be collected immediately after their round.

Casual golf for members only(you must be on the brs timesheet), no green fees, scorecards removed.
    The timesheet has been adjusted to increase interval time.

The main issue with tackling the social distancing is that it comes down to individual decisons which brings ignorance & stupidity into the equation & some people just don't give a sh*t. Briandead f*cks need to realise that it's not just something nice to do but that it will save lives.
    With co-operation and understanding casual golf should be able to continue safely until further restrictions come from those making decisons on public health.

Everyone in our club is encouraged to call people out if they don't comply with the 2 club social distance rule & it's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

SEORG wrote: »
    I expected a smiley face after this sentence tbh :confused:

Like most our clubhouse closed.
    On course toliets closed.
    Rakes & divot bags removed, ball washers covered, bins covered, benches roped off, air hoses removed.
    Pro shop is open but limited to one person at a time.
    Juniors must be collected immediately after their round.

Casual golf for members only(you must be on the brs timesheet), no green fees, scorecards removed.
    The timesheet has been adjusted to increase interval time.

The main issue with tackling the social distancing is that it comes down to individual decisons which brings ignorance & stupidity into the equation & some people just don't give a sh*t. Briandead f*cks need to realise that it's not just something nice to do but that it will save lives.
    With co-operation and understanding casual golf should be able to continue safely until further restrictions come from those making decisons on public health.

Everyone in our club is encouraged to call people out if they don't comply with the 2 club social distance rule & it's happening.

Right! I didn't phrase that sentence particularly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

what2do wrote: »
    I have played golf this week and I enforced the social distancing all the time..... when my partners stepped towards me I put my arm up and tutted 2 metres!!!

I’m completely paranoid and would love to continue playing golf as it really helps at the moment (no matter how bad the golf!) but everyone needs to adopt a similar approach and it’s hard to see this happening and you do tend to wander towards each other around the green without realising.

That's the way to approach it to keep courses open, one thing anyone can try something I've done myself is wear a pair of well fitting latex gloves, then wear my golf glove as normal, im right handed(it feels ok holding the club) then use the right hand to remove ball from cup or lift out flag if allowed, I also have hanging on my bag a spray bottle of disinfectant .Try it,it's not uncomfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Our comps are all cancelled
    Clubhouse and pro shop closed
    Casual for only and everyone must be signed in via brs and check-in with caddy master before play
    Practice areas are closed
    Flags are in place but cups are 1 inch above ground
    Clubs to be taken from clubhouse
    Rakes removed from bunkers
    Junior members are not allowed hang around after playing

Our Clubhouse/ Bar/ Shop are closed.
    All Competitions suspended. Casual rounds must be booked via BRS.
    Bunkers are GUR (rakes removed)
    Pins in and hole proper depth but they've ty-rapped a little piece of foam pipe insulation to the bottom of the pin so your ball only drops about an inch so very easy to pick it out.

check-in with caddy master before play

why is that necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

There goes golf in the UK...

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Glebee wrote: »

We're not far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭newport2

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    We're not far behind.

I'd say today will be the last chance for a round :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Glebee wrote: »

I wonder does 'one form of exercise a day' count for golf though? I'm guessing not. As much as I look forward to some golf at the weekend I think we should do the same lockdown here as soon as possible. It's clear some people just aren't taking social distancing seriously

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement