Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Looks like they're banning gatherings in open spaces and public parks. We cant possibly escape this, can we?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Looks like they're banning gatherings in open spaces and public parks. We cant possibly escape this, can we?
    Unlikey! I'm down to play my first game in months this weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

This is about containment, not stopping it altogether. That cant happen in western world as we cant take the steps the Chinese did.

The UKs principle of herd immunity turned out not to be correct.

The number of cases are significantly higher is some countries than been reported in others. I know two people (one in UK and one in Sweden) who have had it and not even been tested.

If we can do social distancing correctly we can control the spread. Ideally we would like to keep cases at slightly higher than they are now. That is controllable.

I hope we are a little bit away from UK measures IF we are all sensible

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

gypsy79 wrote: »
    This is about containment, not stopping it altogether. That cant happen in western world as we cant take the steps the Chinese did.

The UKs principle of herd immunity turned out not to be correct.

The number of cases are significantly higher is some countries than been reported in others. I know two people (one in UK and one in Sweden) who have had it and not even been tested.

If we can do social distancing correctly we can control the spread. Ideally we would like to keep cases at slightly higher than they are now. That is controllable.

I hope we are a little bit away from UK measures IF we are all sensible
    Last weekend showed people cannot and will not listen to the advice. The government will be left with no choice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The FT do good updates and tracking daily. They had a set of graphs showing how countries are trending relative to how things went in Italy, and Irelands tracking numbers were almost identical to Italys, so I would say that we don't want the pace getting any higher than it is, based on the state of Italy now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The FT do good updates and tracking daily. They had a set of graphs showing how countries are trending relative to how things went in Italy, and Irelands tracking numbers were almost identical to Italys, so I would say that we don't want the pace getting any higher than it is, based on the state of Italy now

The issue with comparing these statistics are like comparing apples and oranges due to the different levels of testing in different countries. The United States is a massive one here. New York is a massive outlier there. So the distance we live apart should help!!

It appears the average age of the population is a massive contributor (see Spain and Italy)

We are following WHO recommendations to TEST TEST TEST. Others are not or cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The issue with comparing these statistics are like comparing apples and oranges due to the different levels of testing in different countries. The United States is a massive one here. New York is a massive outlier there. So the distance we live apart should help!!

It appears the average age of the population is a massive contributor (see Spain and Italy)

We are following WHO recommendations to TEST TEST TEST. Others are not or cannot.
    I understand all of that, my criticism was more of your point that you think we should be seeing a higher level of cases.

Everyone in government & health services is screaming flatten the curve, so I'm not sure of your logic to suggest we need higher case load.

We had an enormous issue with bed shortages in the system before this all kicked off, so I don't know that our system is capable of handling any further spikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

The following is a joint statement from the GUI and ILGU in relation to the current coronavirus pandemic, issued at 11.10am this morning.

Golf in Northern Ireland:

In its latest measures to contain the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), the UK Government has announced that everyone in the UK must now stay at home except in exceptional circumstances.

The new measures state that people in the UK may only leave home:

to go to work (if you are a key worker)
    to infrequently shop for groceries, medicine and other essentials
    to exercise outside once a day
    to provide care or help a vulnerable person
    for any medical need

While golf is an outdoor sport that allows players to exercise in the fresh air, the message is clear. People must stay at home to help to contain the spread of COVID-19.

With this in mind, it is the view of the GUI and ILGU that all golf clubs in Northern Ireland must close their facilities with immediate effect.

Such closures will have a significant impact on golf clubs and we continue to consult with industry partners to provide clubs with all information and support possible during this time of deep uncertainty.

We know that these decisions are difficult ones to make, but right now, it is our shared responsibility to prioritise the health of our local communities by working together to follow the UK Government guidelines. In doing so, this will ensure that we get the opportunity to play the game that we all love as soon as it is safe to do so.

For security and essential maintenance purposes, greenkeeping staff can still attend work. All work must be carried out in strict accordance with government guidelines on social (physical) distancing. Clubs should divide course staff into two teams where possible and if one becomes unavailable, the other team will still be okay to work.

Golf in the Republic of Ireland:

The GUI and ILGU have consistently reflected the advice of expert medical professionals in advising our member clubs.

It is anticipated that an update on the period of restriction will be made soon by the Irish Government, after which we will issue an updated statement in relation to golf in the Republic of Ireland.

You will appreciate that this is a very fluid situation with new developments almost daily. We will continue to liaise with the appropriate authorities, and will ensure that our clubs are kept informed as to recommended best practice at all times.

HSE: http://www.hse.ie or PHANI: https://www.publichealth.hscni.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

What do people make of the latest Government announcements on outdoor gatherings of no more than 4 people at a time. Anybody think courses may remain open based on this latest lock-down measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    What do people make of the latest Government announcements on outdoor gatherings of no more than 4 people at a time. Anybody think courses may remain open based on this latest lock-down measure.

Reads that way, guess we’ll have to wait and see what the GUI has to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Its ambiguous.

Did he mention all sport ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

"Clubs" in the context read below has to imply sports clubs IMO.

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1242482772028952577?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Lads if you can get it from playing golf with the current measures in place then you will get it anywhere. Its still droplets that have to get into/onto your soft wet face tissue. Its not airborne and its not the zombie virus. Will people please switch their brains back on for minute amidst all the hysteria?

And to those smartarses...we have to be expert virologists now to express an opinion, yes? I assume thats what you all are then?

You put enough people into a room and give them enough time to think there will always be 'we can do more'. Whether it makes sense is another matter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Its ambiguous.

Did he mention all sport ?

He stated clubs. Unfortunately I think that means we won’t be playing for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

Unnecessary travel is really the main point. Its not a necessity to play golf unfortunatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We are not closing yet anyway.

The announcement was a little unclear.

No unnecessary travel yet they talk about groups of four from the same household being ok...

I guess the fact that they stressed "this is not a lockdown" means we are still ok to play, assuming we take the necessary, commonsense measures.

Either way, I'm heading off for a few holes tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Ah_go_on wrote: »
    He stated clubs. Unfortunately I think that means we won’t be playing for a while.

There could be an unintended financial benefit for some golf clubs in all this. If golf clubs are closed, some staff could be laid off and claim the new social welfare benefit while the club has the membership subs safely in the bank.
    They would lose green fees but in our club that doesn’t amount to much. I’d guess that the prestige clubs who make a fortune from green fee golf won’t be too happy.
    But, I suppose that none of these things are really all that important in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

Ah_go_on wrote: »

I think by club he means social clubs. GUI I assume will clarify before day is out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

no

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Roger_007 wrote: »
    There could be an unintended financial benefit for some golf clubs in all this. If golf clubs are closed, some staff could be laid off and claim the new social welfare benefit while the club has the membership subs safely in the bank.
    They would lose green fees but in our club that doesn’t amount to much. I’d guess that the prestige clubs who make a fortune from green fee golf won’t be too happy.
    But, I suppose that none of these things are really all that important in the grand scheme of things.

Good point. I just joined new club last week and handed over the guts of €2k. Really hope I can get some value out of it now.

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »
    Unnecessary travel is really the main point. Its not a necessity to play golf unfortunatly.

some people still don't get that!:confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Golf 100% gone for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

GUI & ILGU Recommend Golf Clubs & Facilities To Close

Urgent response requires all golf clubs, courses and facilities to close

Following the recent announcements by the UK and Irish Governments in relation to the coronavirus pandemic, the GUI and ILGU recommend that all golf clubs, practice facilities and courses across the island close with immediate effect until April 19th 2020.

While golf is an outdoor sport that allows players to exercise in the fresh air, the message is clear. People must stay at home to help to contain the spread of COVID-19.

The Unions recognise the need clubs may have for business support at this time. We will monitor options available and engage with the relevant sporting bodies in due course to make representations for our member clubs.

We know that these decisions are difficult ones to make, but right now, it is our shared responsibility to prioritise the health of our local communities by working together to follow the respective Government guidelines. In doing so, this will ensure that we get the opportunity to play the game that we all love as soon as it is safe to do so.

For security and essential maintenance purposes, greenkeeping staff can still attend work. All work must be carried out in strict accordance with government guidelines on physical (social) distancing. Clubs should divide course staff into two teams where possible and if one becomes unavailable, the other team will still be okay to work.

You will appreciate that this is a very fluid situation with new developments almost daily. We will continue to liaise with the appropriate authorities, and will ensure that our clubs are kept informed as to recommended best practice at all times.

HSE: http://www.hse.ie or PHANI: https://www.publichealth.hscni.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

No surprise in that decision. The key message is unnecessary travel

Looks like the Puttout matt and trainer will be getting lots of use. If only all of us had similar facilities in our garden as Harrington!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Good time to do the poleforking?

Lads if you can get it from playing golf with the current measures in place then you will get it anywhere. Its still droplets that have to get into/onto your soft wet face tissue. Its not airborne and its not the zombie virus. Will people please switch their brains back on for minute amidst all the hysteria?

And to those smartarses...we have to be expert virologists now to express an opinion, yes? I assume thats what you all are then?

You put enough people into a room and give them enough time to think there will always be 'we can do more'. Whether it makes sense is another matter though.

i don't think anybody has said you can get it from playing golf.

but you can stop spreading it by simply limiting your movements to the bare necessity. ie, stay the fucx home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

frink wrote: »
    No surprise in that decision. The key message is unnecessary travel

Looks like the Puttout matt and trainer will be getting lots of use. If only all of us had similar facilities in our garden as Harrington!

Tis the dream alright. Although I'd spend a fortune on replacing the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Total bullsh1t overreaction imo. We've gone into hyperventilation. Just doing 'something more' to be doing something more.
    I understand that people are scared and will try to get some idea of control and sure the others are doing it so must we, but this is nonsense.

You literally have to get someones's spit into your mouth. And I do know thats not as impossible as it sounds. However thats still what it takes as far as I know. How we got from there to its unsafe to pursue some solitary outdoor activities no-one will ever know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Total bullsh1t overreaction imo. We've gone into hyperventilation. Just doing 'something more' to be doing something more.
    I understand that people are scared and will try to get some idea of control and sure the others are doing it so must we, but this is nonsense.

You literally have to get someones's spit into your mouth. And I do know thats not as impossible as it sounds. However thats still what it takes as far as I know. How we got from there to its unsafe to pursue some solitary outdoor activities no-one will ever know.

It wouldn't be spreading as it is if it were that card to get.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement