Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Total bullsh1t overreaction imo. We've gone into hyperventilation. Just doing 'something more' to be doing something more.
    I understand that people are scared and will try to get some idea of control and sure the others are doing it so must we, but this is nonsense.

You literally have to get someones's spit into your mouth. And I do know thats not as impossible as it sounds. However thats still what it takes as far as I know. How we got from there to its unsafe to pursue some solitary outdoor activities no-one will ever know.

Unicorns are real, the world is flat and the moon is made of cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Good time to do the poleforking?

I think the government have caused a problem - with a lack of definition of what is required work and not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

blue note wrote: »
    It wouldn't be spreading as it is if it were that card to get.

It is obviously not that hard to get. But I fail to see how you can get it outdoors while not touching anything and not being close to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

Good time to do the poleforking?

Ours done about 2 weeks ago, need a couple of weeks to recover anyway.

Disappointing, not sure how long this is going to last , 4-6 weeks? . I’m consoling myself by thinking that although we were the last activity to stop, when restrictions are gradually lifted, we should be 1st to get going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It is obviously not that hard to get. But I fail to see how you can get it outdoors while not touching anything and not being close to anyone.

You don't teleport there.

If you don't have to do it, don't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Closing golf courses is being done purely for the PR effect. I cannot see any reason why playing golf is any more risky than going for a walk in the local park. It is certainly a lot less risky than getting on a bus or a train, which is still OK apparently.
    I believe that golf is one activity that should be encouraged provided the precautions which have been in place are adhered to. It would get people out in the the fresh air with little or no danger of catching anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

What's the bets the weather will be glorious in the next few weeks :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Closing golf courses is being done purely for the PR effect. I cannot see any reason why playing golf is any more risky than going for a walk in the local park. It is certainly a lot less risky than getting on a bus or a train, which is still OK apparently.
    I believe that golf is one activity that should be encouraged provided the precautions which have been in place are adhered to. It would get people out in the the fresh air with little or no danger of catching anything.
    This attitude amazes me from golfers sure we are alright jack, we are responsible so we can keep going, nothing to see here etc, there have been lots of reports about golfers not complying with Social distancing rules, clubs running 4 ball team events up to last weekend ffs etc. The governing bodies and the sport itself would suffer enormous bad publicity/damage if it continued with its stance up to now. This is the right thing to do, lots of small rural golf clubs especially are embedded in their communities and will be proud to do their bit in this war. "2 meter distance determines our existence" Look at Dr John Campbells daily co vid updates it will help you understand this event and may save your life or the life someone you love.

You don't teleport there.

If you don't have to do it, don't do it.

Golfers don't really sit in the crowded bus breathing down someones neck with their bag over their shoulder. I drive there in my car. Which would be a risk why exactly?

This attitude amazes me from golfers sure we are alright jack and responsible we can keep gong there have been lots of reports about golfers not complying with Social distancing rules, clubs running 4 ball team events up to last weekend etc. The governing bodies and the sport itself would suffer enormous bad publicity if it continued with its stance up to now. This is the right thing to do

^ Thats exactly what he said. PR.

Social distancing* my arse anyway. Don't touch anything out there and don't talk into anyones face. Well and don't spit, sneeze and cough into their faces either obviously.

Its not like you come within 2 metres of someone and it hops you like a flea.

* social distancing is wrong also. We don't want to distance ourselves socially. We want to distance ourselves physically. I'm like Victor Meldrew here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Social distancing* my arse anyway. Don't touch anything out there and don't talk into anyones face. Well and don't spit, sneeze and cough into their faces either obviously.

* social distancing is wrong also. We don't want to distance ourselves socially. We want to distance ourselves physically. I'm like Victor Meldrew here. :)

The way I play golf, physical distancing is no problem, (usually the adjoining fairway).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Perhaps you should have been advising the Italian government. There's still a possible opening with Trump.

I think this is flawed. Anytime you are out at a golf course, you see an event that shouldn't happen. Peoples concept of social distancing and the risk associated with this are so varied and subjective, put these variations together in enough combinations and you have an unplanned event. We may find after all this, the risk was tiny in conversation, playing golf - but studies are finding it can exist in air , this is extraordinary. The real problem with Covid is the consequences are just too high to justify the low risk - a single person can infect 406 people in 30 days. The death rate at present of Closed Cases is 15% :eek:

I decided to play solo golf only - for my own personal reasons. But at least 4 times events happened that shouldn't have - lads who know you, would come over, stand close, get closer. All well meaning. I told them to step back. At the start people had no concept of 2 meters - most people about 25 to 50 % out.

As for the 4 balls - at the start it was comical , was just like a normal 4 ball and even worse - the elbow tapping and joking within 2 or 3 feet. Talking next to cars after round as if a normal Saturday - tee boxes, greens. Not a chance most groups were keeping it a 2 Meters. I watched closely. Things did improve , but external factors took over. It proved you can not trust people. The more they do it , they get a bit slack, familiar, fall into their old ways. Suddenly want ice cream, chips and coffee. Is this thing , in restaurants (yes), on surfaces (yes), in our food :eek: ?

As for kids on the course - mixing and as if on holiday.

Do we know everything about this yet. We have feelings , ideas, logic , you have - but this thing isn't getting better anywhere in Europe yet. People were still using Italy as a good example about 2 weeks ago.

I was certainly with the argument that open air has to be a multiple levels lower of risk. But sadly the more and more we know about this - it is fairly serious - talk of it living in air :eek: now found on surfaces up to 14 days after event (cruise ship). Extraordinary. We still don't fully understand this. .

And if most people are 100 % honest - they got too close to someone on a course, they touch a thing they shouldn't have or increased their risk, sand bags, bins, broken tees, sand boxes, pins, rakes - and no matter what, cups were touched, other people's golf balls, finds, ball cleaners, bins. I've only started - I'd say people seen worse ? - if being 100 % honest.

I congratulate the extraordinary effort and achievement and so much valuable lessons to start up golf again.

But - considering it is an actual national emergency , as devastated as I am. Being worried about golf , is genuinely a bit selfish to be honest. And, I'm having a dig at myself.

And - as every week has gone by , we know what we felt last week was wrong.

I always knew golf was a bit self absorbed. I think this is probably the final proof.

I will acknowledge that the risk is not zero. How low or not low it really is we both cannot say for sure. Nobody can.

However, I dare say from what we know of the virus - or lets say what the experts tell us about it - the chance of transmitting it out on the golf course with some precaution is very very likely to be minute.

It being airborne and surviving more than 3 days is the first I heard and with all respect I won't take the word of a guy on the internet for it. That sounds more like facebook going into overdrive tbh.

I will acknowledge that the risk is not zero. How low or not low it really is we both cannot say for sure. Nobody can.

However, I dare say from what we know of the virus - or lets say what the experts tell us about it - the chance of transmitting it out on the golf course with some precaution is very very likely to be minute.

It being airborne and surviving more than 3 days is the first I heard and with all respect I won't take the word of a guy on the internet for it. That sounds more like facebook going into overdrive tbh.

91002948_4201334459892818_7401379573394309120_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=9ZYDVPqfwo4AX9MRsbg&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=545b42b230f7e220aa69fa7e58175aad&oe=5EA00FC2

91002948_4201334459892818_7401379573394309120_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=9ZYDVPqfwo4AX9MRsbg&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=545b42b230f7e220aa69fa7e58175aad&oe=5EA00FC2

I'd imagine that was in a lab - with zero air changes.

But it is totally frightening how long this bastard can live. I was fairly casual about it - sort of skeptical about the risks. But when I seen that figure on how long it can live on surfaces. I was appalled. It fundamentally altered my mindset in work and outside work.

Far from 14 days. I thought I missed some news there.

Being an aerosol and being airborne are not the same thing as far as I understand it. An aerosol is mistified liquid. What we exhale or the very fine droplets that come out of our mouths when talk animately or cough or sneeze.
    Airborne in the sense of contagion is when the virus or whatever truly travels in the air and you can contract it simply by being in the area.
    An aerosol contaminates the surface its sprayed on. Hence the washing hands thing as you may have come in contact with contaminated surfaces.

I know its a scary thing but lets not make it scarier than it already is.

Being an aerosol and being airborne are not the same thing as far as I understand it. An aerosol is mistified liquid. What we exhale or the very fine droplets that come out of our mouths when talk animately or cough or sneeze.
    Airborne in the sense of contagion is when the virus or whatever truly travels in the air and you can contract it simply by being in the area.
    An aerosol contaminates the surface its sprayed on. Hence the washing hands thing as you may have come in contact with contaminated surfaces.

If people are too close to each other , they are exposed to the other person's exhale ?

But - here is a crazy one. Came up in last few days.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-cabins-2c9e13e7-0f45-4847-8ccf-a9b2af4210ca.html

14 days is the quarantine period.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

As for the 4 balls - at the start it was comical , was just like a normal 4 ball and even worse - the elbow tapping and joking within 2 or 3 feet.

played 10 days ago, stayed away from everyone and wouldn't touch flags etc. other lads playing as normal. then one of them more or less ran over to have a joke as he elbowed me. i didn't want it, but he just did it :(
    And if most people are 100 % honest - they got too close to someone on a course, they touch a thing they shouldn't have or increased their risk, sand bags, bins, broken tees, sand boxes, pins, rakes - and no matter what, cups were touched, other people's golf balls, finds, ball cleaners, bins. I've only started - I'd say people seen worse ? - if being 100 % honest.

played again on saturday gone, found 2 nearly new pro v1's and a nice seed ball. had to leave them where they were lying though.
    only used tees from my own bag, would normally pick up a few broken ones especially for par 3 holes. saw lads picking up balls and tees all over the shop then eating food, no gloves while holding pin to take ball out. daft stuff. people can't be trusted.

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    played 10 days ago, stayed away from everyone and wouldn't touch flags etc. other lads playing as normal. then one of them more or less ran over to have a joke as he elbowed me. i didn't want it, but he just did it :(

played again on saturday gone, found 2 nearly new pro v1's and a nice seed ball. had to leave them where they were lying though.
    only used tees from my own bag, would normally pick up a few broken ones especially for par 3 holes. saw lads picking up balls and tees all over the shop then eating food, no gloves while holding pin to take ball out. daft stuff. people can't be trusted.

Spot on - people tried, but there was an element of hubris about it all.

Fair enough we love our sport and it was an escapism from the reality of what we were in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Golfers don't really sit in the crowded bus breathing down someones neck with their bag over their shoulder. I drive there in my car. Which would be a risk why exactly?

No you are right sorry, you are clearly special and the rules for everyone else shouldn't apply to you.

Every time you leave your house you expose yourself to potential risk of contracting covid19. And straight out No, someone doesn't have to basically spit in your mouth for you to catch it. How many deaths here will it take for you to park your hobby for a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

No you are right sorry, you are clearly special and the rules for everyone else shouldn't apply to you.

Every time you leave your house you expose yourself to potential risk of contracting covid19. And straight out No, someone doesn't have to basically spit in your mouth for you to catch it. How many deaths here will it take for you to park your hobby for a few weeks?

i think he is going to have to swallow his own saliva for a while longer as i fear we may not get back on the golf courses for quite some time now :(

I didn't say the rules shouldn't apply to me. I actually follow the rules quite diligently. Also I never said that someone needs to spit into my mouth for me to get it. I was actually quite careful what I said - just in case I have to defend it here.

Look I'm not trying to rile anyone up. Just trying to bring a little bit of reason back into this. At the end who cares what some dope like me says on the internet? Its not like what I say makes policy.
    You're simply too emotional to enter a discussion on this. You didn't say anything of substance or fact. All I heard was 'who do you think you are still wanting to have some fun on the golf course amidst all this?'

i think he is going to have to swallow his own saliva for a while longer as i fear we may not get back on the golf courses for quite some time now :(

This is one time where spitting is definitely preferable to swallowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

GreeBo wrote: »
    We are not closing yet anyway.

The announcement was a little unclear.

No unnecessary travel yet they talk about groups of four from the same household being ok...

I guess the fact that they stressed "this is not a lockdown" means we are still ok to play, assuming we take the necessary, commonsense measures.

Either way, I'm heading off for a few holes tonight!

Well thats annoying.

Glad I played yesterday, and dont feel quite so silly coming down the last in the dark at 7:30pm :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Our last action before the closure was to remove the pins from the greens, cut all holes in the centre. 3 balls maximum and remove rakes. You could literally only get covid from the person you were playing with, which was almost a zero chance anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

Rikand wrote: »
    Our last action before the closure was to remove the pins from the greens, cut all holes in the centre. 3 balls maximum and remove rakes. You could literally only get covid from the person you were playing with, which was almost a zero chance anyway

Likewise we even turned the cups upside down hole was less than inch

It’s a big over reaction - which will destroy a lot of clubs because a lot will cancel direct debits with clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Frustrating to hear that some clubs have decided to remain open despite the GUI recommendation. The European Club is accepting visitors today. Have heard a couple of others are allowing members to play as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Can you quote source on that please
    Afraid not. Iirc, the article I read it from was linked in a tweet. And as usual with these, I failed to note the original url of the article. But the source was legit and the results were startling enough that they stuck in my mind. I think the tests were carried out in the US, but I'm not 100% on that. Sorry for the delay replying.

Edit: i see somebody else has posted it. As you can see, my recall is pretty good. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement