Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

HighLine wrote: »
    Frustrating to hear that some clubs have decided to remain open despite the GUI recommendation. The European Club is accepting visitors today. Have heard a couple of others are allowing members to play as usual.
    To be fair, they may feel that have to give the appropriate notice to their members and visitors. Courses would be quiet during the week anyway.

I'm a bit disappointed at this part of the GUI/ILGU announcement, it's not committing to anything at all and you'd have thought that they would have had some discussions about the issues before pushing the nuclear button:
    The Unions recognise the need clubs may have for business support at this time. We will monitor options available and engage with the relevant sporting bodies in due course to make representations for our member clubs.

It's a 25 day shutdown (at least). But income for clubs has already been reduced considerably due to the closure of bar and food areas for the guts of two weeks and the probable loss of society bookings. "In due course" doesn't sound in the least bit urgent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

People realise that there are many more touch points along the way to the golf course that you could be a risk of contacting or spreading the virus. It's great that golf courses were trying their best to minimise risk but what about when you need to stop to get diesel? Pump/door/card machine/cash all points of contact with dozens of other people. What if your car breaks down and you need to call breakdown assist? It would be great to be able to get out in the nice weather but a month of no golf(that we know of) is hardly a massive ask to help slow this.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

The GUI were damned if they do and damned if they don't. The horse racing industry attracted a lot of negative publicity as they continued to race behind closed doors in Ireland and that negativity added to the Cheltenham debacle will take a while to recover from.

While I am not happy the courses are closed and we cant play golf I definitely would not want our club splashed all over the Six One News as being open. If the GUI didn't offer guidance to the clubs they would be castigated.

Not everyone will be satisfied, particularly in this faux outrage society we live in but golfing people will just have to retain their perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Druids Glen definitely is remaining open for members only. Silly decision IMO.

*Edit*... they have changed their mind and decided to close. Would have been a PR disaster for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

I was as devastated as any to here the GUI statement. Is it a over reaction? who knows but its to serious to chance really.. Hindsight is a great thing unless its fatal!

My club has been closed the last few weeks with only opening weekend for comps with all the measures listed above no rakes touching, social distancing etc.. We were told when closed that as members we could still play as long as we follow the guidelines no touching flags ,shaking hands etc.. But the GUI statement changed all that strictly no golf now.. Even the farmers range beside my old club is closed!

My golf to me is everything I love it and really look forward to it even do Im sh@t at it ..lol..

Maybe you will never catch it on a course but this virus is serious so you have to limit the risks right or wrong.. And to be honest not everyone was following the social distancing. ffs some dont even follow the proper rules of the game!

I was depressed as fcuk yesterday with the announcement + angry with the government (still am) for not locking down the country weeks ago! We are a Island, We shouldn't be here.. The Italians should of being refused entry into the Country when the ruby was cancelled and Cheltenham should of never been allowed or at least test people on return it was utter madness!

But it is what it is.. Everyone one just needs to pull together do their bit even if they agree or not. To help stop the spread even if joe bloggs is still partying with his mates..

I just hope when things get back to normal people will be a little more appreciative of life as the world can be ugly at times..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

HighLine wrote: »
    Frustrating to hear that some clubs have decided to remain open despite the GUI recommendation. The European Club is accepting visitors today. Have heard a couple of others are allowing members to play as usual.

thats a disgrace
    can you name and shame them, because ........ well i better never say never again.
    prawnsambo wrote: »
    To be fair, they may feel that have to give the appropriate notice to their members and visitors. Courses would be quiet during the week anyway.
    To be fair you are clutching with your "notice". We all knew this was coming, even though some people didn't agree with the measures, they knew. Did other places like McDonalds have to give appropriate notice to their customers, no they just said "we are closing tonight"! Did all the offices and retail shops etc feel they had to give notice to all their staff and customers???? no, they just had to comply and close. Notice my arse!
    I'm a bit disappointed at this part of the GUI/ILGU announcement, it's not committing to anything at all and you'd have thought that they would have had some discussions about the issues before pushing the nuclear button:

I am disappointed in your comment. I mean, what the hell do you want them to commit to? Nobody knows what is going to happen over the next few months and do you really think they have had no discussions about the issues? There was no nuclear button pushed, clubs were asked to close to comply with the battle against the virus.
    It's a 25 day shutdown (at least). But income for clubs has already been reduced considerably due to the closure of bar and food areas for the guts of two weeks and the probable loss of society bookings. "In due course" doesn't sound in the least bit urgent.

yea 25 days, but I reckon you can probably at least triple that. Yes income will be impacted for the poor clubs, but other businesses have closed their doors permanently. Why you think golf clubs should be any different?

In actual fact, most of them probably have raked in the bulk of this years sub already which will enable them to keep the courses maintained along with the government employment package announced yesterday.

What more can they say other than "in due course"? Have you got a crystal ball or something that could have given them definite projections. What urgency is required? This thing is closing us down and there is nothing that the GUI can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

Nothing official yet but it seems that Killorglin has closed. The article is low on detail but loss of tourism revenue due to the coronavirus was a factor.

Though the closure came before Tuesday’s decision by golf’s governing bodies the GUI and ILGU to recommend all golf clubs on the island of Ireland shut down with immediate effect until April 19, the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic and its effect on wiping out golf tourism is understood to have already gravely impacted Killorglin’s green fees revenue from visitors.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/killorglin-golf-club-closes-after-28-years-990135.html

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

The GUI were damned if they do and damned if they don't. The horse racing industry attracted a lot of negative publicity as they continued to race behind closed doors in Ireland and that negativity added to the Cheltenham debacle will take a while to recover from.

While I am not happy the courses are closed and we cant play golf I definitely would not want our club splashed all over the Six One News as being open. If the GUI didn't offer guidance to the clubs they would be castigated.

Not everyone will be satisfied, particularly in this faux outrage society we live in but golfing people will just have to retain their perspective.

I kinda agree with a lot of what you say and you don't want to be so called shamed into closing but I was working in a HSE office today and the guy I deal with there is a member of a certain club and he is gobsmacked at the decision of GUI to as he said reccomend closure so in real terms you could still open but courses were basically shamed into it,but he was against closure and the point he made was very good, As he said walking running in small groups is acceptable but golf is considered not to be and the only difference was you carried or pushed/pulled your bag, stopped every now and then and hit a golf ball and even when the ball goes into the hole(he uses a ball retriever on top of his putter) but as was suggested on here "gimmies" were acceptable, so to get to why he said courses (clubs) should be allowed to stay open is that they should be for members only, no green fees, Society's etc and operate a timesheet daily like you would for comps, Phone your Pro, Secretary and ask if yourself and Joe Bloggs go up at say 2pm is there a spot and then just go to teebox and carry on...There are rights and wrongs in everything but there is a better chance of catching the virus doing your shopping in the local supermarket than out in open air playing golf and before someone comes on and says you need to shop for food and you don't need to play golf, The virus doesn't care if you shop or play golf so if that is a benchmark what's more risk ?? Shopping in your local supermarket) I'd say but we are free to do that...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Roganstown is open to members anyway, from what a member told me today.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Roganstown is open to members anyway, from what a member told me today.

I agree with that, Members only no crowds etc

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    I kinda agree with a lot of what you say and you don't want to be so called shamed into closing but I was working in a HSE office today and the guy I deal with there is a member of a certain club and he is gobsmacked at the decision of GUI to as he said reccomend closure so in real terms you could still open but courses were basically shamed into it,but he was against closure and the point he made was very good, As he said walking running in small groups is acceptable but golf is considered not to be and the only difference was you carried or pushed/pulled your bag, stopped every now and then and hit a golf ball and even when the ball goes into the hole(he uses a ball retriever on top of his putter) but as was suggested on here "gimmies" were acceptable, so to get to why he said courses (clubs) should be allowed to stay open is that they should be for members only, no green fees, Society's etc and operate a timesheet daily like you would for comps, Phone your Pro, Secretary and ask if yourself and Joe Bloggs go up at say 2pm is there a spot and then just go to teebox and carry on...There are rights and wrongs in everything but there is a better chance of catching the virus doing your shopping in the local supermarket than out in open air playing golf and before someone comes on and says you need to shop for food and you don't need to play golf, The virus doesn't care if you shop or play golf so if that is a benchmark what's more risk ?? Shopping in your local supermarket) I'd say but we are free to do that...

If I don't play golf for 25 days I will still be a functioning human. If I don't go to the supermarket for 25 days I will probably be dead.

The guidelines are for non essential trips or activities to be stopped until the 19th of April. I think we can all agree that purchasing food to feed yourself does not fall under this bracket. Not sure why people find this so staggering it has been mentioned a few times.
    It is far from a good point.

BoldReason wrote: »
    If I don't play golf for 25 days I will still be a functioning human. If I don't go to the supermarket for 25 days I will probably be dead.

The guidelines are for non essential trips or activities to be stopped until the 19th of April. I think we can all agree that purchasing food to feed yourself does not fall under this bracket. Not sure why people find this so staggering it has been mentioned a few times.
    It is far from a good point.

I know you have to have food to live, the point that was made was it was more likely that you catch the virus in a local supermarket than out in open air, it's not a case of needing golf or food that's a no brainer...

I know you have to have food to live, the point that was made was it was more likely that you catch the virus in a local supermarket than out in open air, it's not a case of needing golf or food that's a no brainer...

I don't think anyone is going to argue that there is more chance of getting the virus at a supermarket or a golf course. I still don't see what the point is here. One is essential the other is not. Every little bit of lowering the movement of people helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

It’s not golfing that’s the problem, it’s the unnecessary journey to get the golf course is the problem, stopping to get petrol or a tea or coffee on the way, these are unnecessary interactions.

The less unnecessary interactions the better for everyone. Is this difficult to understand?

It’s not golfing that’s the problem, it’s the unnecessary journey to get the golf course is the problem, stopping to get petrol or a tea or coffee on the way, these are unnecessary interactions.

The less unnecessary interactions the better for everyone. Is this difficult to understand?

Spot on. People seem to forget about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yes the risk is low, but the consequences are incredibly high with one person potentially infecting 100s of people.

It has been explained a few times - by a few people , that bad practice and higher risk activities were observed by people , for example I seen some selfies from even the pro - at head to head with members in my club.

There will undoubtedly will be a golf related incident - even cars shared etc - showers - toilets prior to closures. On course toilets.

I seen lots of other events - you don't want to accept this.

Now things were improving - but it was too late - as the general atmosphere in the country about any gatherings had turned.

It is madness to think - golf could be a singular special case , of a significant number of people , meeting in a car park , for a gathering of any sort.

I'd be worried if you tell me , he works in the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I agree with that, Members only no crowds etc

how is it any different if it is members only?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

I suppose this is the reasons full lock downs happen. People just dont listen.

Same as going shopping for food, pushing your trolley, handling all the wrapped food that has come from packaging plant to stores area, handled by many,you pay at checkout,you put it in your car, the kids help you bring it in and help you put it away you pat the child and say thank you, All necessary as you say and more risk than going to golf course, so to tackle this we do absolutely nothing that's the long and short of it..Now don't get me wrong I do understand the risks, I'm like a spaceman in work these days as I mix with a lot of people but common sense has to prevail and to say you can go out walking running etc and that's ok and to think these people won't pop in for a coffee somewhere or buy a newspaper on way home is mindboggling, Again no different than going to play a few holes, I understand if you don't want to play that's ok but I and others do and I think the risk to me and others is minimal, It's like this if there is something on TV that offends you, turn it off don't preach to others that they shouldn't watch it either..That's not personal btw I'm only coming from my side of the fence so to speak...Stay safe

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    To be fair you are clutching with your "notice". We all knew this was coming, even though some people didn't agree with the measures, they knew. Did other places like McDonalds have to give appropriate notice to their customers, no they just said "we are closing tonight"! Did all the offices and retail shops etc feel they had to give notice to all their staff and customers???? no, they just had to comply and close. Notice my arse!
    No need for the high handed response. You might have noticed that the GUI/ILGU notice to clubs was a recommendation. The closure of restaurants was a government order.
    Seve OB wrote: »
    I am disappointed in your comment. I mean, what the hell do you want them to commit to? Nobody knows what is going to happen over the next few months and do you really think they have had no discussions about the issues? There was no nuclear button pushed, clubs were asked to close to comply with the battle against the virus.

yea 25 days, but I reckon you can probably at least triple that. Yes income will be impacted for the poor clubs, but other businesses have closed their doors permanently. Why you think golf clubs should be any different?

In actual fact, most of them probably have raked in the bulk of this years sub already which will enable them to keep the courses maintained along with the government employment package announced yesterday.

What more can they say other than "in due course"? Have you got a crystal ball or something that could have given them definite projections. What urgency is required? This thing is closing us down and there is nothing that the GUI can do about it.
    Did you read the quote? "The relevant sporting authority". So they know who to talk to, just don't seem in any particular hurry. You didn't need a crystal ball to see this coming weeks ago. So why weren't they making contact with Sport Ireland then?

No need for the high handed response. You might have noticed that the GUI/ILGU notice to clubs was a recommendation. The closure of restaurants was a government order.

Exactly

Swords and Roganstown are staying open. Here's their statement:
    Golf is a great sport for people generally to get out and about, exercise and enjoy fresh air. It is played in an outdoor setting where the risk of contracting COVID-19 is low.

At Roganstown and Swords we have taken every effort to ensure that any risks are minimised.
    There is no need to touch anything on the course.
    • All bunker rakes have been removed
    • Flag sticks are at the side of the green and do not need to be touched
    • Ball washers have been removed from the course
    • Air guns for cleaning shoes are disconnected, so not in use.
    Bookings
    • All golfers must book on line or by telephone and only 1 person is to enter the golf shop at any one time.
    • Any payments should if possible be by telephone or on-line.
    • There is hand sanitizer at the entrance to the golf shop and all guests should use this before entering the shop.
    Practice area and putting greens
    • There is hand sanitizer at the range and all guests are required to use it before and after using the keypad.
    • Only 4 people should be on the putting green at any 1 time to ensure physical distancing requirements are upheld.

The GUI statement on 24th March was ONLY A RECOMMENDATION. However, the Taoiseach’s speech was very clear – the relevant points are shown below;

The Taoiseach provided a specific list of all areas to be closed and Golf courses were NOT included.

He said You should only go to the shops for essential supplies, out for medical or dental appointments, to care for others or to take “physical exercise”.

He also said that we are in this for long haul. This could go on for weeks or months and we need to maintain our humanity, we need to see our families and loved ones and look after our mental and physical health. And we can do it if we maintain a physical distance of 2 metres or more.

Golf courses are NOT crowded and no more than 4 people play in a group together and the Taoiseach said
    • Social gatherings of individuals outdoors should be no more than four persons, unless all are from the same household.
    • All crowded places, including public amenities, should be avoided.
    • Any setting that should close has been specifically identified.

Parks are being left open and people need to practice physical distancing.

We are following rigidly the guidelines laid out by the Taoiseach in terms of physical distancing in line with the advice he has been receiving from the healthcare professionals.

Under the current advice there is NO NEED for golf courses to close. In fact, golf courses allow for a safe place for people to get outdoor exercise which is vital for their physical and mental well-being.

If the government, under advice from the healthcare professionals, decide to take more stringent action and move to an all out lock-down where golf is also included, then we will abide by their decision and close immediately.

With all of the actions we have taken we believe that Roganstown and Swords golf courses are safe for staff and guests alike, and for the moment we will be staying open.

Same as going shopping for food, pushing your trolley, handling all the wrapped food that has come from packaging plant to stores area, handled by many,you pay at checkout,you put it in your car, the kids help you bring it in and help you put it away you pat the child and say thank you, All necessary as you say and more risk than going to golf course, so to tackle this we do absolutely nothing that's the long and short of it..Now don't get me wrong I do understand the risks, I'm like a spaceman in work these days as I mix with a lot of people but common sense has to prevail and to say you can go out walking running etc and that's ok and to think these people won't pop in for a coffee somewhere or buy a newspaper on way home is mindboggling, Again no different than going to play a few holes, I understand if you don't want to play that's ok but I and others do and I think the risk to me and others is minimal, It's like this if there is something on TV that offends you, turn it off don't preach to others that they shouldn't watch it either..That's not personal btw I'm only coming from my side of the fence so to speak...Stay safe

But you can't switch over - if an asymptomatic person infects you and 300 other people.

The shops have had to change their set ups fairly quickly too and more to come I'd say.

But people are taking measures to avoid shops and are using ppe in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Someone's staying sane so. The handwringers will be out in no time condemning tho. Don't let facts disturb the issue.

All sporting events are cancelled

What a pack of clowns - then to bring their staff into it. Hope they have deep pockets if a case happens.

Clowns like that will have me locked in my house. Fools.

If I get locked in my house for clowns like that - it is more than their precious golf they should worry about.

Someone's staying sane so. The handwringers will be out in no time condemning tho. Don't let facts disturb the issue.

Yep, as I said before if you don't want to play....Don't play Don't preach

Yep, as I said before if you don't want to play....Don't play Don't preach

As I said before - if you want to infect people - keep it to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

FP you're being irrational. Its an easy one to be irrational about but you're being irrational. Very much so.
    We really need to take this thing seriously, I am in full agreement with that. But closing golf courses will achieve absolutely nothing. We're just doing it because. Its a political/PR decision with next to no practical value.

• Advertisement

FP you're being irrational. Its an easy one to be irrational about but you're being irrational. Very much so.
    We really need to take this thing seriously, I am in full agreement with that. But closing golf courses will achieve absolutely nothing. We're just doing it because. Its a political/PR decision with next to no practical value.

Not - just me , they are completely missing the tone on the nation. It is an example of someone , being too smart for their own good - but isn't even smart.

Watch this space.

Will it last till the weekend ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement