Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducati service intervals - just checking

Options
  • 09-03-2020 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with newer Ducatis and their service intervals? And also the costs with them? Particular interest in the "desmo" service.

Considering a Ducati but want to know what I'm getting myself in for cost wise.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

If you have to ask.....

Think the recommended 'normal' service is every 7500miles or once per year, Desmo needs doing every 15k or 5 years (that's the expensive one valve clearance check, belt check etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Banzai600

ive owned several ducati's over the years, they are fantastic bikes. The only one that needed the new desmo service was the 1199 Panigale, but it never needed doing when i owned it - miles were low. And 1199 / 1299 service is intesnsive as ts a bike strip down pretty much completely, so hours are long, prob 2k appx. The likes of the Multistrada desmo service ive heard can take 6/7 hrs.

you havent said what bike you are looking at either ??

see here
    https://www.ducati.com/ww/en/service-maintenance/maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Goose81

BrianHal wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with newer Ducatis and their service intervals? And also the costs with them? Particular interest in the "desmo" service.

Considering a Ducati but want to know what I'm getting myself in for cost wise.

Thanks.
    I just bought mine with low mileage and will sell before the big service is due. It's cost me very little in 2 years, maybe 400 quid on servicing. Panigale 899

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

Banzai600 wrote: »
    ive owned several ducati's over the years, they are fantastic bikes. The only one that needed the new desmo service was the 1199 Panigale, but it never needed doing when i owned it - miles were low. And 1199 / 1299 service is intesnsive as ts a bike strip down pretty much completely, so hours are long, prob 2k appx. The likes of the Multistrada desmo service ive heard can take 6/7 hrs.

you havent said what bike you are looking at either ??

see here
    https://www.ducati.com/ww/en/service-maintenance/maintenance

I was considering the V2 Panigale in a small few months... with a plan of keeping it for a while and not moving on at small mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I was considering the V2 Panigale in a small few months... with a plan of keeping it for a while and not moving on at small mileage.

Expect an annual service at around 280 quid (yearly or every 7500km) to keep the warranty and the valve check at 24000km to cost probably 1500-2k.

I've spent a whole load of very little on servicing on mine as I do it all myself - but I will need to chuck it up to Millsport for the valve check at some stage in the next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Be aware that a few of these get thrashed and crashed...but repaired 99%......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭H_Lime

batman_oh wrote: »
    Expect an annual service at around 280 quid (yearly or every 7500km) to keep the warranty and the valve check at 24000km to cost probably 1500-2k.

I've spent a whole load of very little on servicing on mine as I do it all myself - but I will need to chuck it up to Millsport for the valve check at some stage in the next year.

Ah yea thats the valve check where Christina Hendricks does it in the nip while you're given beer and a recliner to watch?:)

H_Lime wrote: »
    Ah yea thats the valve check where Christina Hendricks does it in the nip while you're given beer and a recliner to watch?:)

I'm in!
    The whole bike has to come apart thanks to the no frame thing and they recommend 16 hours labour by the book. Millsport indicated somewhere in the region of 1300 sterling for it depending on bits required. I'll likely get the water pump gears replaced too.

Unfortunately there are two Ducati tools required to do the service - cost to buy from Ducati: 800 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I'm in!
    The whole bike has to come apart thanks to the no frame thing and they recommend 16 hours labour by the book. Millsport indicated somewhere in the region of 1300 sterling for it depending on bits required. I'll likely get the water pump gears replaced too.

Unfortunately there are two Ducati tools required to do the service - cost to buy from Ducati: 800 quid!
    Wow, amazeballs at the price! :eek::)
    That is genuinely amazing, I wonder what clearences on an nr750 would cost!? I'd say your machine has it top trumped!
    Do they tend to go out of spec?
    Actually for that money h3ndricks is out, I'd want yer wan becksindale out the vamp flicks doing the clearences in her skimpiest leather outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Goose81

Be aware that a few of these get thrashed and crashed...but repaired 99%......;)

Are you talking about bikes in general or Ducati?

Your average Ducati owner has more money than other bike owners so I'm gona take an educated guess they are probably the least likely bikes to be crashed or abused our of all bikes and will on average have the lowest mileage.

• Advertisement

Am I right in thinking every 24000km that the valve check is needed?

And apart from that maybe e280 per year/7500km?

Am I right in thinking every 24000km that the valve check is needed?

And apart from that maybe e280 per year/7500km?

Yep - apart from that budget about 60/70 quid for oil and a filter once a year when you are out of warranty because fook paying for a dealer service :pac:

H_Lime wrote: »
    Wow, amazeballs at the price! :eek::)
    That is genuinely amazing, I wonder what clearences on an nr750 would cost!? I'd say your machine has it top trumped!
    Do they tend to go out of spec?
    Actually for that money h3ndricks is out, I'd want yer wan becksindale out the vamp flicks doing the clearences in her skimpiest leather outfit.

Now that sounds like a plan!

From what I've seen they don't tend to be out much if at all at 24k so I'm happy enough to wait until next year and run a bit over. If it starts being hard to start or showing any other stuff like that I'll do it sooner. I wouldn't be too concerned anyway.
    It will be the first time it's been in a Ducati dealer since the first service somebody else did :pac:

Thanks for all the input everyone. As mentioned early on “if you have to ask...” got me thinking and then the 1.5-2k figures too...

I know there’s a heart vs head struggle here and at this point, head is still winning out.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Redmond101

Must differ allot between models, I was quoted c.€1,100 for a desmo service on a 950 Hyper

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Redmond101 wrote: »
    Must differ allot between models, I was quoted c.€1,100 for a desmo service on a 950 Hyper

My Diavel's first desmo (the 30K km one) was €1,150, €600ish of that was labour. Remember they charge labour in 30 minute units (5 minutes is 1 unit, 35 minutes is 2 etc) that the bike is on the bench and plugged in for updates, doesn't necessarily mean someone is actually working on it.

Next desmo I'm going to MotoTechnic, provided he can do it.

Handy link for checking the intervals on current Ducati range: https://www.ducati.com/ww/en/service-maintenance/maintenance

Advertisement