Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I alter a stream on my property?

• 09-03-2020 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

I have a small stream that flows through my property in my garden. Both banks of the stream where it flows through my garden are my property. Is it legal for me to place an obstacle in the stream to raise its level upstream or to place a trash screen to stop debris flowing downstream. I talked to Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council and they said that as it was private property they had no responsibility.

Does this mean I can do what I want to do with the stream or is there some other authority that may be responsible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Will it flood upstream and cause an issue for somebody else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

I have a small stream that flows through my property in my garden. Both banks of the stream where it flows through my garden are my property. Is it legal for me to place an obstacle in the stream to raise its level upstream or to place a trash screen to stop debris flowing downstream. I talked to Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council and they said that as it was private property they had no responsibility.

Does this mean I can do what I want to do with the stream or is there some other authority that may be responsible?

I think you can as long as you don't impede the flow.

Well done for doing your bit for mother earth by collecting the rubbish in it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

You migth look into something like this as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

endacl wrote: »
    Will it flood upstream and cause an issue for somebody else?

If I alter it the it will only rise about 3 inches and the fall on my garden is about 10 inches or more, so normally it would not cause problems upstream however if their was a bigger flow it might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

You migth look into something like this as well.

The flow can be very small some days and other days it can be better but I don't think it would drive something like that most days. I think it is diverted down another course upstream when it rains and the flow is bigger.

Its a great little machine, thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement