Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All ST Patricks Day Parades have been cancelled

• 09-03-2020 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Are you happy about that or not?

Were you planning on going to one?

I might have went to the local one but I guess not now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

Yes.

No.

Bob's is a half-decent burger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Yes.
    No.
    No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Can we make this an annual occurence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

YES, I'm flying home on the 20th. Now my dipso mates won't having spunked their welfare money too early in the week and I can now bask in a session of a weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yes.
    Also yes, but under duress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Oy the very big ones were cancelled.... Unless the other one now follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Is the Bank Holiday cancelled too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We usually don’t attend anyway.
    Too much of an association with alcohol and getting pissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Oy the very big ones were cancelled.... Unless the other one now follow suit.

All cancelled.

dobman88 wrote: »
    All cancelled.

Well on rte only stated the big events, there are still other events on unless they cancel them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Well on rte only stated the big events, there are still other events on unless they cancel them too.

I'm here watching the news and they just said all parades are cancelled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This virus is starting to piss me off now

Half a years worth of events concerts/matches etc down the drain

Look there not going to keep out of the pubs paddys day/weekend and then having the races to this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The decision makers were damned if they did and damned if they didn't.

I reckon the insurance kicked in today and that nailed it.

Good decision just the same, so many were demanding it. I know it won't stop city pubs and streets being jammed, but maybe less than usual. We shall see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The decision makers were damned if they did and damned if they didn't.

I reckon the insurance kicked in today and that nailed it.

Good decision just the same, so many were demanding it. I know it won't stop city pubs and streets being jammed, but maybe less than usual. We shall see.

A good pissy wet windy day would keep folks at home too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    This virus is starting to piss me off now

Half a years worth of events concerts/matches etc down the drain

Look there not going to keep out of the pubs paddys day/weekend and then having the races to this week

Half a years worth???? 2 rugby matches postponed so far in ireland and a paddy's day parade? Please give details on these half a year's worth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Very disappointed.our small town has a very good parade and the kids love it, they always get a chance to march as part of the school, GAA club, scouts etc.

A lot of community groups put in a lot of effort with costumes, floats etc.

It's a real shame, but unfortunately necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

vriesmays wrote: »
    Is the Bank Holiday cancelled too.

Sure why not might as well cancel that too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Couldn't care less, its only for kids anyway. I can enjoy it at home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Half a years worth???? 2 rugby matches postponed so far in ireland and a paddy's day parade? Please give details on these half a year's worth?

Summer gigs and euros in doubt

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Summer gigs and euros in doubt

So long as the MSHC geos ahead is vitally important

• Advertisement

Little point unless everything else is cancelled too. All sporting events, religious ceremonies, etc and close pubs and workplaces.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'm here watching the news and they just said all parades are cancelled

Yeah flicked back seem the same, just saying when I seen it around 610 they weren't saying all.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tesla3

FFS not cancelled just defered!;;;;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Schools will close next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The devastation of kids up and down the country will be heartbreaking.

Pints at 11am so.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Have they been cancelled or postponed?

In 2001 the St Patrick's Day celebrations were postponed until May due to the foot-and-mouth outbreak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't know anyone who could give a flying f*ck, load of nonsense. I would imagine there'll still be hoards of folks out in Dublin anyway, so will it really make a difference?

Tesla3 wrote: »
    FFS not cancelled just defered!;;;;

Won't be anywhere near as big and when.... They expect this virus to affect 60% of the population.

This could go on another good few months, recession also very likely due to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

These threads will make interesting reading for some alien visitors who visit in a few years after the virus mutates and wipes out everyone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think this video and song is perfect for the day just gone. It has been a crazy one on World Markets and here in Ireland with all the St Patricks Day Parades been cancelled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHeiVDSdoCM

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I don't know anyone who could give a flying f*ck, load of nonsense. I would imagine there'll still be hoards of folks out in Dublin anyway, so will it really make a difference?

The usual fights and familiar bloodied faces showing up at A & E.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

hynesie08 wrote: »

Its nearly half of ireland's competitive matches postponed this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It's sad, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭nothing

Just read an article that Tullamore is going ahead (digging their heels in unless there's a government directive)

🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

This won't alter my traditional plans for that day in the slightest...
    Big bag of cans, netflix and maybe a takeaway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

As long as rte still show Flight of the Doves all will be okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

nothing wrote: »
    Just read an article that Tullamore is going ahead (digging their heels in unless there's a government directive)

🙄

The ain't called BIFFOs for nowt.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

It will still be unofficially celebrated across Ireland. But cancelling it was the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Won't everyone be going out and drinking etc anyway so why bother cancelling the parade would be my thoughts. It makes little difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Thank God. Should be cancelled every year. Hate parades.
    But I'm working anyway so not like I would have gone.
    And a happy at Patrick's day to ye all:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I understand the reasoning behind it but it’s a meaningless gesture much the same as cancelling the Italian rugby match. The majority of the Italian supporters came anyway and were in large numbers. Saint Patrick’s day in Dublin will still be packed the fact the parade route won’t be lined with stationary people is irrelevant. Busses, trains, tourist spots, pubs clubs etc will be jammed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

joeguevara wrote: »
    The majority of the Italian supporters came anyway and were in large numbers.

Evidence for this?

A Garda friend of mine stationed in Pearse Street told me there were far fewer around than typical and even than expected. The majority of Italian rugby supporting public originate in the heartland of the sport, the northern regions already on lock down by last week.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Evidence for this?

A Garda friend of mine stationed in Pearse Street told me there were far fewer around than typical and even than expected. The majority of Italian rugby supporting public originate in the heartland of the sport, the northern regions already on lock down by last week.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/explainer-why-cant-we-stop-italian-rugby-fans-coming-into-ireland-and-why-arent-we-checking-them-for-coronavirus-at-the-airport-39021361.html

I certainly met a fair few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I hate parades. I have no interest in St. Patricks Day. I once forgot it was St Patricks day and got caught in the crowds watching the parade in Carlow.

I'm happy they were cancelled, not because I hate them but because it was the right thing to do. I'm sad for the reason why they were cancelled. And although I despise parades with a passion if I'm around for a brighter future I might attend the next one in Carlow. It's a shit parade but I'll consider it a victory to be able to be there and to not be afraid of my fellow human beings.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Evidence for this?

Well, no arguing with that solid evidence!

I understand the reasoning behind it but it’s a meaningless gesture much the same as cancelling the Italian rugby match. The majority of the Italian supporters came anyway and were in large numbers. Saint Patrick’s day in Dublin will still be packed the fact the parade route won’t be lined with stationary people is irrelevant. Busses, trains, tourist spots, pubs clubs etc will be jammed.

Government needs to take a firm line, none of this wavering, wait-and-see, reactive rubbish we've seen up to now.
    Next they'll need to remind people of the breeding ground that is the crowded pub, if they have the remotest interest in slowing down the spread of this, that is.

Government needs to take a firm line, none of this wavering, wait-and-see, reactive rubbish we've seen up to now.
    Next they'll need to remind people of the breeding ground that is the crowded pub, if they have the remotest interest in slowing down the spread of this, that is.

Unless there is a curfew and no one allowed out of their house it’s pretty ridiculous. Was at the cinema on Saturday night. Place full. Schools have hundreds of people in close proximity but still open. Tesco’s last night was packed and 30 people queuing up for self service tills. People pawing the fresh fruit and veg. Kids sticking hands in pick and mix. Gyms still open with people sweating on machines and not wiping them down. Hurling and gaa matches still on. Choosing certain things to cancel and not others is strange to me. Worst thing is bud into city centre in morning and open coughing and spluttering.

That’s why pubs, restaurants, etc need to be closed also.

That’s why pubs, restaurants, etc need to be closed also.

And what do people who work there do for money?

And what do people who work there do for money?

What will any of us do when our places of work have to close up? Restaurant and bar staff aren’t the only people who aren’t desk jockeys that can work from home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement