Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flickering Spot lights please advise

Options
  • 09-03-2020 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

We have recently bought a house and did a full wiring work.

The problem we discovered, once we moved in is, that while I am cooking or using kettle the spot lights are flickering and the power is decreased.

The same is happening in the bathroom. Once the electric shower is on, the lights are getting darker.

We paid huge money for wiring. What is wrong, can someone advise. The house is from 1960s

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

elizunia87 wrote: »

The problem we discovered, once we moved in is, that while I am cooking or using kettle the spot lights are flickering and the power is decreased.

The same is happening in the bathroom. Once the electric shower is on, the lights are getting darker.

We paid huge money for wiring. What is wrong, can someone advise. The house is from 1960s

Thank you

If I understand correctly you paid someone to ensure your electrical installion would be good. It seems not.
    Perhaps,initially, to contact whoever did this work ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Lights will usually dip slightly when a large load is switched on.

If it is overly dipping, it's usually something between the DB and electricity supply. Meter tails too small, supply cable to house too small, pole transformer small if its a rural house etc. It's not certain to be a problem with house wiring.

If its flickering it can be a problem connection but that usually degrades until power goes of sometimes.

Not sure if the op describing flickering means dimming at the moment cooker is switched on, or actually a rapid flickering for a length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭LeBash

Induction cooker by any chance and are the lights on a dimmer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Shower causing it too.

Shower in my house will cause lights to dip. Nothing abnormal there. Depends if the dip is severe, or lights actually flickering. Clear info needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

Thank you All.

I don't really understand how it works.. It is a first time I own a place and have this problem. The lights (spotlights) were installed by electrician. When I cook, the lights are getting darker (like dimmed) and start flickering, which is annoying and I don't think it is normal.
    It's like you can not use cooker, kettle and lights in the same time :(

I just wanted to get some ideas befire talking to electrician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Thank you

Can you elaborate on what work was done?
    Was the electric shower and cooker already installed or are they new additions?
    Was the work done by an REC?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Thank you All.

I don't really understand how it works.. It is a first time I own a place and have this problem. The lights (spotlights) were installed by electrician. When I cook, the lights are getting darker (like dimmed) and start flickering, which is annoying and I don't think it is normal.
    It's like you can not use cooker, kettle and lights in the same time :(

I just wanted to get some ideas befire talking to electrician.

I think you said that you paid an electrician to carry out work- There may be a reason why you do not wish to talk to your electrician. I would suggest that you talk to your electrician who would investigate. Possibly this suggestion would be your best first step

Advertisement