Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLARS Circular

• 09-03-2020 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭

I’m interested to know how this is working in schools. We have a meeting 2mw & the new circular is the only item on agenda. At least ASTI advice is clear, so will it be up to BOMs to decide?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Icsics wrote: »
    I’m interested to know how this is working in schools. We have a meeting 2mw & the new circular is the only item on agenda. At least ASTI advice is clear, so will it be up to BOMs to decide?

We met today. We were asked if we agree / disagree to each proposal on a ballot paper . Union rep advised all to say no to all, which I presume most did. Principal collected them and said BOM would make a decision if we didn’t reach consensus.
    A lot of people felt that advice from union wasn’t good/ helpful and that we should have gone for option B - ie SLAR in our own time but keep the40 mins professional time.
    Don’t know what the BOM will say or how it’s going to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

BOM should go with what the HM and DHM and teacher reps go with.

Not Option D.

Then no contact needs to be made with DES and local arrangements can be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭paulisagayboy

If following union advice and not engaging with the discussion process, it seems like we are leaving management with no option but to pick option D which to my mind is the least palatable option.

But by doing anything else we are in clear violation of union advice (which got a 93% majority in the ballot)

Are there any creative ways of timetabling to ensure slars can be held during normal tuition but do not impinge in contact time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

The JMB have recommended that BOMs not pick option D. I have yet to see any school's management go against JMB guidance so I wouldn't be worried about boards picking option D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

We had a similar meeting regarding slar meetings. The question was asked about when/ if slar meetings could happen. We’re told that maybe a slar could happen during summer exams in late May when teachers could be off or during TY work experience, etc so as the class time of students is not hit. It was acknowledged by management that there is a possibility that the slars might not occur and therefore no descriptors will be given in some subjects. You couldn’t make this up..Father Ted stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    We had a similar meeting regarding slar meetings. The question was asked about when/ if slar meetings could happen. We’re told that maybe a slar could happen during summer exams in late May when teachers could be off or during TY work experience, etc so as the class time of students is not hit. It was acknowledged by management that there is a possibility that the slars might not occur and therefore no descriptors will be given in some subjects. You couldn’t make this up..Father Ted stuff.

That's the best possible outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

No ‘consensus’ here either...going to the BOM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

We went for B but our principal the 2 hr meeting can't be broken into smaller meetings of 1hr each. Anyone got info on this?

Advertisement