Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

We're not mentioned by the Twitter folk in the big counties tonight. Galway was the last one specified, with 35, so we're somewhere below that today.

Might have jumped the gun there....

https://twitter.com/BarryWhyte85/status/1314622473086865415?s=20

EDIT: He's deleted it now, seems he was looking at yesterday's figures.
    So we're back to assuming we're below 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Following on from this post where the daily list of new confirmed cases was being updated daily, I decided to go back to mid July and prepare a new list showing both the daily numbers and the bi-monthly totals. I have included the figures up to today (13 May 2021) just to show the way we are heading and it doesnt look good. I'll try to update the numbers on a daily basis in this post also.
    16th - 31st July: 2, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1. (total = 5)

1st - 15th August: 0, 2, 0, 0, 5, 1, 4, 1, 5, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 2. (total = 31)

16th - 31st August: 1, 1, 0, 3, 0, 2, 1, 0, 4, 1, 0, 6, 0, 14, 0, 0. (total = 33)

1st - 15th September: 3, 0, 0, 0, 5, 2, 0, 3, 4, 1, 5, 5, 13, 12, 2. (total = 55)

16th - 30th September: 20, 16, 13, 19, 19, 21, 18, 30, 41, 22, 37, 23, 22. 23, 31. (total = 355)

1st - 15th October: 28, 36, 58, 31, 34, 51, 60, 53, 33, 34, 56, 38, 23, 29, 50. (Total = 614)

16th - 31st October: 32, 43, 14, 39, 21, 48, 56, 20, 58, 53, 51, 7, 20, 56, 41, 25. (Total = 584)

1st - 15th November: 30, 21, 15, 16, 75, 18, 41, 59, 20, 21, 48, 27, 24, 27, 34. (Total = 476)

16th - 30th November: 11, 34, 38, 26, 21, 22, 21, 13, 41, 16, 20, 20, 26, 41, 17. (Total = 367)

1st - 15th December: 16, 38, 26, 19, 37, 32, 27, 22, 26, 27, 19, 6, 46, 24, 34. (Total = 399)

16th - 31st December: 53, 32, 14, 44, 52, 44, 50, 68, 38, 77, 123, 33, 23, 85, 150, 51. (Total = 937)

1st January - 15th January: 44, 339, 194, 52, 238, 231, 187, 310, 149, 196, 157, 81, 136, 154, 128. (Total = 2596)

16th January - 31st January: 83, 112, 34, 90, 84, 135, 32, 72, 33, 18, 38, 48, 63, 40, 59, 31. (Total = 972)

1st February - 15th February: 27, 15, 27, 36, 45, 22, 47, 9, 20, 22, 17, 9, 27, 9, 29. (Total = 361)

16th February - 28th February: >5, 12, 29, 26, 7, 26, 31, 15, 21, 23, 48, 33, 5. (Total = 281) (Equivalent to 324 total over 15 day period)

1st March - 15th March: 31, <5, 25, <5, 19, 0, 13, 26, 0, 23, 35, 19, 39, 11, 20. (Total = 268)

16th March - 31st March: 19, 34, 8, 16, 24, 67, 9, 27, 68, 57, 26, 38, 45, 17, 13, 31 (Total = 499)

1st April - 15th April: 14, 25, 16, 13, 16, 17, 15, 17, 30, 17, 15, 16, 39, 34, 25. (Total = 309)

16th April - 30th April: 33, 28, 28, 11, 18, 31, 84, 21, 23, 22, 62, 39, 33, 36, 29. (Total = 498)

1st May - 15th May: 27, 22, 34, 25, 32, 26, 19, 30, 24, 39, 27, 12, 49, ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

How many cases were there in Donegal today..10/10?

How many cases were there in Donegal today..10/10?
    We werent mentioned specifically so we will have to wait until tomorrow evening to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

muffler wrote: »
    We werent mentioned specifically so we will have to wait until tomorrow evening to find out.

I think I read another 33 cases yesterday but don't quote me on that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think I read another 33 cases yesterday but don't quote me on that :)

Too late. :)

But that 33 was the figure from Friday that was only released yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

I think I read 33 Friday and 34 yesterday. Unfortunately another 56 in the county today. Hope to see this slow this week.

henke wrote: »
    I think I read 33 Friday and 34 yesterday. Unfortunately another 56 in the county today. Hope to see this slow this week.
    Those figures are correct. I've updated my post above a bit earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Looks like a level 4 for Donegal and the rest of the border counties is coming

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dc29a-level-4/#bars-cafes-and-restaurants-including-hotel-restaurants-and-bars

• Advertisement

We're on the list again, 38 today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Did anyone watch the Nolan show last week they were talking about the way the deaths were counted

They said if someone had the virus and isolated and everything else and was then negative if that person died within 28 days of that of something completely different they would still go down as dying of the virus.

Found that strange

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

lulu1 wrote: »
    Did anyone watch the Nolan show last week they were talking about the way the deaths were counted

They said if someone had the virus and isolated and everything else and was then negative if that person died within 28 days of that of something completely different they would still go down as dying of the virus.

Found that strange

I spotted that many months back on the BBC and it appears we were doing the same.

People are dying WITH Covid, not because of Covid.
    The Beebs actual line was "people who tested positive for Covid in the previous 28 days".

Surely there is a big difference? Not all those "Covid deaths" are actually Covid deaths then?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I spotted that many months back on the BBC and it appears we were doing the same.

The Beebs actual line was "people who tested positive for Covid in the previous 28 days".

Surely there is a big difference? Not all those "Covid deaths" are actually Covid deaths then?

I'd say it's a fine line, a lot of the time.
    For instance, if an asthmatic suffers lung damage from covid, then dies of an asthma attack, where asthma was well controlled before that person had covid, then asthma may have been the cause of death, but if that person hadn't had covid, their asthma would have remained controlled.

The same will be true of a lot of other illnesses, too, where someone is already weakened by covid, and therefore doesn't survive an illness that they would otherwise have been expected to make a good recovery from.

Of course, the opposite can also be true. Someone may, sadly, have reached the end of their life from an illness, but die with covid, as opposed to of covid, and its listed as a covid death...

At the end of the day, we will only be sure of the death toll at the end of the pandemic, when we compare expected death rates in a normal year, to actual death rates in a pandemic year.

Our health people have been clear about that from the start. Their reasoning being that a) some of the people may not have died when they did if they hadn't of gotten Covid, and b) it's better to over estimate than underestimate in terms of planning for hospital beds, ICUs etc. They've said that some deaths will be revised at a later date.
    It's the same case in the number of people in hospital "with covid". You're tested if you're admitted for anything. So, for example, fall off a ladder and break your arm, off to hospital for surgery, test positive for Covid, you go on the numbers, even though you're not in hospital for Covid.

It's a far better way than what they were doing in England, only counting hospital deaths, after only testing people who were admitted to hospital with Covid symptoms. So realistically their deaths are way higher than the already very high number they're giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Does anyone know what the situation is for people who live near the border (Lifford eg) and shop for groceries in Strabane (Asda click and collect)? A relative was stopped at the border today and told that they could not leave the county for shopping, though it was perfectly fine to do so during the previous strict lockdown.

They were advised to drive to Letterkenny, 17 miles away, meaning they'd have to walk around a shop to get their groceries versus the contactless option in Asda! They are coccooning and go absolutely nowhere else (they also collect groceries for another shielding family) so it seems a bit daft. There is no click and collect option in Letterkenny AFAIK and any delivery slots are like hen's teeth now!

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the situation is for people who live near the border (Lifford eg) and shop for groceries in Strabane (Asda click and collect)?
    Im afraid that level 3 restrictions do not allow for people to travel outside of their county.

though it was perfectly fine to do so during the previous strict lockdown.
    No, non essential travel outside of a 5k or 10k radius of your home (cant recall which now) wasnt permitted during the previous lock down.

No, non essential travel outside of a 5k or 10k radius of your home (cant recall which now) wasnt permitted during the previous lock down.

It was 5 at first, then extended to 20 at the first stage of reopening.

If it's any use, SuperValu in Ballybofey do some sort of click and collect service, and their home delivery usually has slots available if you book a couple of days in advance.

Im afraid that level 3 restrictions do not allow for people to travel outside of their county.

They asked the Gardai at the time of the big lockdown and were told that grocery shopping in Strabane was permitted, as it was considered essential and it was within both the 5km and 20km limits of their home. Anytime they were stopped going across the border they truthfully told them they were shopping and were waved through without another word.

I accept that the new wording of 'within your own county' is somewhat different now, but it's clear (!) that anomalies like this aren't helping buy in from the public, especially those who are normally very law-abiding and keen to keep themselves and everyone else safe. The number of people who have advised them to lie or just 'power on through' because it's 'only advice' is distressing.

They asked the Gardai at the time of the big lockdown and were told that grocery shopping in Strabane was permitted, as it was considered essential and it was within both the 5km and 20km limits of their home. Anytime they were stopped going across the border they truthfully told them they were shopping and were waved through without another word.

I accept that the new wording of 'within your own county' is somewhat different now, but it's clear (!) that anomalies like this aren't helping buy in from the public, especially those who are normally very law-abiding and keen to keep themselves and everyone else safe. The number of people who have advised them to lie or just 'power on through' because it's 'only advice' is distressing.

The situation is much worse now than it was during the initial lockdown. My guess would be they've been told no exceptions other than the ones stated. The problem with allowing people to go to Asda, for example, is word gets around quite quickly that it's allowed and then all anyone breaking the rules for other frivolous reasons has to do it say they're going to Asda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

What proportion of people have Covid at any one time? The number of people who just happen to have Covid and it has nothing to do with their deaths is not a large number.

The problem with allowing people to go to Asda, for example, is word gets around quite quickly that it's allowed and then all anyone breaking the rules for other frivolous reasons has to do it say they're going to Asda.

Yes, for sure, and the people who are going to invent the frivolous reasons will continue to do so anyway. You'd be amazed (maybe not :D) at the number of 'reasons' suggested to this elderly woman for crossing the border that people claim will work, including childcare!

The irony is that if you can walk over the bridge and lug the shopping back, you won't be stopped at all, in either direction. Maybe I should advise her to buy a pram ... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Yes, for sure, and the people who are going to invent the frivolous reasons will continue to do so anyway. You'd be amazed (maybe not :D) at the number of 'reasons' suggested to this elderly woman for crossing the border that people claim will work, including childcare!

The irony is that if you can walk over the bridge and lug the shopping back, you won't be stopped at all, in either direction. Maybe I should advise her to buy a pram ... :P

Legally your relative is allowed to shop in Strabane if they want to & feel safe going there.

The stay in your own county is only advice, the garda commissioner was even saying they will need additional powers if people don't listen to the advice as they've no power to stop you at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Domestic travel
    Stay in your county apart from work, education, medical and other essential purposes, if appropriate.

i suspect shopping for food would class as essential travel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The situation is much worse now than it was during the initial lockdown. My guess would be they've been told no exceptions other than the ones stated. The problem with allowing people to go to Asda, for example, is word gets around quite quickly that it's allowed and then all anyone breaking the rules for other frivolous reasons has to do it say they're going to Asda.

The situation is nowhere near as bad as it was in March at the moment. Back then people were only being tested when they presented with multiple symptoms and even then some were turned away and just told to self isolate because of no testing capacity. Now we're catching huge amounts of asymptomatic and mild symptom cases that are no burden on the health service so long as they properly self isolate

The situation is nowhere near as bad as it was in March at the moment. Back then people were only being tested when they presented with multiple symptoms and even then some were turned away and just told to self isolate because of no testing capacity. Now we're catching huge amounts of asymptomatic and mild symptom cases that are no burden on the health service so long as they properly self isolate

I think it's very clear that people have not been self isolating, or following the most basic of guidelines.
    Lifford/Stranorlar had the worst infection rate in the country for several weeks. Derry/Strabane has the worst rate in the entire UK.
    Letterkenny has the 3rd most Covid patients in the country as of yesterday evening, and ICU is seemingly full.
    Altnagelvin is one of the busiest hospitals in the UK for Covid at the moment, and the Western Healthcare Trust have said they're seeing patient numbers double every 2 to 3 days, and are struggling to find beds.
    That was not the situation in March/April at the peak of the first wave.

23 new cases today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

I fear we are going to be moved up to Level 4 fairly soon. I hope not. NI have announced tighter restrictions.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1014/1171431-coronavirus-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

henke wrote: »
    I fear we are going to be moved up to Level 4 fairly soon. I hope not. NI have announced tighter restrictions.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1014/1171431-coronavirus-ireland/
    Yeah, it's coming. Meetings last week between North and South politicos and officials to determine how they would move together. The North announced their additional restrictions this morning, ours will be announced soon, probably this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's coming. Meetings last week between North and South politicos and officials to determine how they would move together. The North announced their additional restrictions this morning, ours will be announced soon, probably this evening.
    Is it not a case of them just bringing there restrictions up to ours as is the case now (baring the 8 o’clock ban on alcohol sales).

Advertisement