Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

Shocking but not really surprising. They are only stopping serving food and drink inside of premises this evening, even with the numbers going through the roof for the last few weeks..
    Its nearly out of control if it is not already so all this talk about levels is a waste of time. Only a lockdown is going to have any effect imo.
    Is there really much difference between level 3 and 4. I don't really think so.

Actually the bars, restaurants and cafes in Derry have been closed for 2 weeks now, the rest of the North entered a circuit breaker on Friday, but Derry and Strabane restrictions were already in place, and cases have gone down the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Long six weeks coming up. Good luck everyone. Hope you're not too badly affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

Thank you, Heighway61. We made it through the last one so I'm sure we'll be alright. All we have to do is stay positive... and negative! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

21 cases today.

13 deaths for the whole country, all recent. That's the worst it's been for a while. The next few weeks are going to be tough as numbers will still be high for a while before the Level 5 measures have any impact. Hopefully our numbers will come down sooner than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's a lot of deaths for one day.
    Possibly our highest of the entire virus?

Old folks home influence the numbers?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

There was at least 45 on Easter Sunday, but definitely the highest for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

NIMAN wrote: »

That's for the whole country. We had 30-40 deaths per day every day back in April and one day (that included backlog) had 214 deaths

48 new cases today. We've dropped to 8th on the 14 day incidence per 100k list (320), but I think that's probably more to do with other counties getting worse than us getting better. Cavan is over 1000 per 100k, which is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Beat me to it :). I was just going to post about the 14 day incidence rate and while it's still high it has fallen though

Looking back over the number of new cases in the last 28 days we have only dropped below 20 per day on one occasion and that was wedged in between daily figures of 43 and 39. The highest daily count was 60.

The 28 day total is 1,010 which equates to a daily average of 36.

• Advertisement

Outbreak in Loretto Convent, Letterkenny. School had a right battle with the HSE to test close contacts. They weren't going to test anybody in the affected class. Eventually, they relented and will test.

Not really working overall is it, test and trace?

Heighway61 wrote: »

It was working fine until the numbers started skyrocketing and everyone that tests positive has 20 or 30 close contacts over the period in question. It has now become overwhelmed. Sure, the government should have been funding the departments that look after it, but, like everything in this situation, it isn't helped by people ignoring the very clear and simple advice that's been in place since March about self isolating if you think you have it or have been exposed to it.

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Outbreak in Loretto Convent, Letterkenny. School had a right battle with the HSE to test close contacts. They weren't going to test anybody in the affected class. Eventually, they relented and will test.

I've read of similar cases in several schools. The policy seems to be to keep the schools open at all costs.

Now, personally, I disagree strongly with that policy.

I can see the point that front line workers, for example, really struggled with childcare during the last outbreak. Likewise, special needs children regress when the school routine is disrupted.

What I can't understand, is why, 8 months into the pandemic, arrangements haven't been put in place to keep schools open for those children ( and parents) who need them, while minimising risk for everyone, by allowing those whose parents want to keep them at home to access online lessons.

Thank God for Halloween break. Considering the absolute debacle of allowing the contact tracing system to become overwhelmed, at least this break might help minimise the damage a bit.

And don't get me started on the failure to prepare hospitals for the second wave - all while lecturing Joe Public, the majority of whom obeyed the restrictions, only to be repeatedly lectured on the failings of the minority, while glossing over their own failings...

Here's a thought, lads.

If ye want people to behave responsibly, try leading by example!
    That way, those who want to ignore restrictions can't use government and HSE failings as an excuse, and you'll spend less time irritating the hell out of the rest of us!

Great post lochlach

56 new cases today which is still a high figure. Hopefully the level 5 restrictions will start to show reduced numbers in the next 7 - 14 days

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

the way these new restrictions are being operated i dont see any drop in numbers coming to be honest.

I was working in letterkenny yesterday and all the the shops in the retail park with the new dunnes were open.

traffic was as heavy as expected and most shops i was in said that they were as busy as always

feelpablo wrote: »
    the way these new restrictions are being operated i dont see any drop in numbers coming to be honest.

I was working in letterkenny yesterday and all the the shops in the retail park with the new dunnes were open.

traffic was as heavy as expected and most shops i was in said that they were as busy as always

I saw a lot of stuff on social media about shops that sell face masks, which are deemed essential items, staying open. Sports shops are apparently the worst for it, but there's reports from around the country of lots of shops that didn't sell them before suddenly stocking them so they can stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So like all those pubs that suddenly started serving substantial meals?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So like all those pubs that suddenly started serving substantial meals?

Exactly like that. All these businesses know whether they meet the criteria for being open or not and they're just looking for a way around the guidelines, which doesn't particularly make me want to spend my money in them, now or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

feelpablo wrote: »

Not good when on just day one of new restrictions, it's business as usual on Retail Parks. There is much needed clarity on just what is and what isn't deemed as "Essential" because at the moment it seems like a free for all and the majority of stores on Retail Parks all across the Country are still trading.
    The rules need to be even stricter and also enforced or we will never see the reduction in cases that we need.

• Advertisement

It's the house parties etc etc are the issue. If you've a mask, practise social distancing & hand sanitising you are highly unlikely to catch this in a retail setting.

Just when it looked like we might see a drop in the numbers we get 58 new cases announced today. :(

muffler wrote: »
    Just when it looked like we might see a drop in the numbers we get 58 new cases announced today. :(

I'm assuming these big number days are the close contacts of the small number days.

I'm assuming these big number days are the close contacts of the small number days.
    I would think most of them are.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

There is an outbreak in a meat processing plant in East Donegal so I would expect those numbers to sustain the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

53 reported today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If the numbers drop steadily this week ahead and start to rise again once the schools open, will the powers that be conclude that schools are the reason (which I firmly believe) that we are having such high numbers nationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cabletiesfix

If the numbers drop steadily this week ahead and start to rise again once the schools open, will the powers that be conclude that schools are the reason (which I firmly believe) that we are having such high numbers nationally.

Ask someone of school going age how many cases there are in their school. I asked a young fella I know a few week is their many cases at school. He said maybe 5 or 6. Out of 700 pupils

I assumed he was gonna say the place was riddled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

One week can’t tell you anything when transmission occurs 5-14 days after contact. That is why the first roadmap went at 3 week intervals.

There is also the possibility that children will continue to mix during the break.

The policy isn’t to keep schools open at all costs. It is to keep schools open if at all possible. Children have already missed a lot of their education.

• Advertisement

At least today's figure isn't exponential. Leveling off was the best Level 3/4 was going to achieve. Level 5 will batter it back towards 0, however temporary. A vaccine is the hail mary.

Advertisement