Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Only 7 new cases in Donegal today. Wonder if the labs all had the bank holiday off because that's very low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Only 7 new cases in Donegal today. Wonder if the labs all had the bank holiday off because that's very low.

I think the level 3 and level 4 is starting to show its effect which makes me hopeful that the current level 5 will work
    We absolutely DO need the regime across the border to continue to clamp down and people to adhere to wash distance and cough etiquette

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Figures getting better, nationally and for us.

All round to mine for the Christmas party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Figures getting better, nationally and for us.

All round to mine for the Christmas party.

Should we bring a mask sorry I meant bottle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Our neighbour's across the border are going to have to make some tough decisions.
    All the big hospitals full to capacity, no beds and now running out of oxygen.

• Advertisement

Our neighbour's across the border are going to have to make some tough decisions.
    All the big hospitals full to capacity, no beds and now running out of oxygen.

That's awful! I hope they get something sorted.

I was reading BBC news this morning- a study by Imperial College, London, suggested that 100,000 people a day are being infected in England.

At this stage it's beginning to look like they're going to test herd immunity, whether they want to, or not.

That's a scary thought, considering how many Donegal people are working in England - including my own sons!
    (And brothers and sisters!)

Compared to that mess, we're doing well. Hopefully, we can keep it that way.

At this stage it's beginning to look like they're going to test herd immunity, whether they want to, or not.

Good luck to anyone trying to achieve herd immunity from a virus that has shown zero evidence of giving long term immunity to those who have had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I thought it was very telling when the doctor said that testing and the R number were nearly pointless in the north now given the rate of the spread.

Good luck to anyone trying to achieve herd immunity from a virus that has shown zero evidence of giving long term immunity to those who have had it.

True. Having said that, it will give definitive proof, one way or the other.

Sorry folks, Christmas party cancelled till 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sorry folks, Christmas party cancelled till 2022.

Fine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

56 today which is high again unfortunately. Hopefully this is out of an isolated cluster and community transmission is dropping.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Fine with me.
    Sorry, what I meant to say was, everyone round to mine at Christmas... except for NIMAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My niece got tested today. Close contact of someone at school. She’s already had no contact with them for 10 days. Are they that far behind with the test and trace system that she’s been called for a test because of someone she last saw 10 days ago? She hasn’t been anywhere since but she could have been.

I hope she gets a negative result, Cherry Blossom.

My niece got tested today. Close contact of someone at school. She’s already had no contact with them for 10 days. Are they that far behind with the test and trace system that she’s been called for a test because of someone she last saw 10 days ago? She hasn’t been anywhere since but she could have been.

They could be behind, or it could just depend on when the person in question was tested. 10 days ago puts us at Oct 21st. So, say the person your niece was in contact with started having symptoms on the 23rd, didn't contact a doctor until the 25th, a Sunday, was referred for testing on the 26th, has their test on the 27th, got results back on the 28th, list of close contacts was given on the 29th, and they were contacted on the 30th to arrange a test, that fills the time without there actually being any major delay.

Hope your niece results are negative. You would think with all the highly paid professionals, managers and administrators we could at least set up a functioning test and trace system.

They could be behind, or it could just depend on when the person in question was tested. 10 days ago puts us at Oct 21st. So, say the person your niece was in contact with started having symptoms on the 23rd, didn't contact a doctor until the 25th, a Sunday, was referred for testing on the 26th, has their test on the 27th, got results back on the 28th, list of close contacts was given on the 29th, and they were contacted on the 30th to arrange a test, that fills the time without there actually being any major delay.
    The test and trace system has been all over the shop.

The test and trace system has been all over the shop.

It was fine until a few weeks ago when the numbers started going through the roof and everyone that tested positive had 30 or 40 close contacts. Yes, it needed more support and funding, like everything else in the health care system, but part of it's failings over the last month or so is down to the public themselves.

It was fine until a few weeks ago when the numbers started going through the roof and everyone that tested positive had 30 or 40 close contacts. Yes, it needed more support and funding, like everything else in the health care system, but part of it's failings over the last month or so is down to the public themselves.
    During the first wave of the virus one of my wife's patients, that she visits almost daily, tested positive. My wife wasn't contacted. She found out several days later from the patient's family. She contacted her manager (HSE) who told her to keep working as she wasn't displaying symptoms. In other words, keep visiting the sick and elderly, it'll probably be OK. My wife rang her GP who organised a test for her and advised her to self-isolate. Work were very displeased. My wife was never contacted with the results of her test.

That looks more to me like an entirely inadequate and badly managed system. For this second wave they should have learned from the first and been ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My niece is positive, rest of her family got tested today. She says she has no sense of smell or taste. No other symptoms.

All the best to your niece and family. Hopefully she is one of the milder cases and makes a full and speedy recovery.

Wishing a speedy recovery to your neice, and a negative result for the rest of your family.

Here's hoping, your neice will continue to have mild symptoms, and recover quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Bit off topic, I know places are understaffed these days due to the virus, but is anyone working at Highland Radio in the evenings? Turned it on for the news just before 8 and it's had the same song skipping every 15-20 seconds with dead air in between for the last 20 minutes. Didn't even broadcast the news. Now I just have it on in the background to see how long it'll go on for. Other times they have songs playing over each other or even over the news.

Numbers going down in recent days. On it's own that's good to see.

Highland reporting a cluster at LUH. Staff and patients affected. Hope it's not too large a number. Pressure on beds and the public are asked not to attend the Emergency Department unless absolutely necessary. ( i.e., an emergency? :) )

https://www.highlandradio.com/2020/11/05/serious-concern-amid-reports-of-covid-cluster-in-luh/

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Denmark is culling all mink because a lot of them have the cornavirus . Is it time the ones in the donegal mink farm were culled

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

frank8211 wrote:
    Denmark is culling all mink because a lot of them have the cornavirus . Is it time the ones in the donegal mink farm were culled

I read an article on it and it was saying that isolating the farms isn't even working and they thing it might be birds spreading it between them

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Fecks sake. 75 cases today and that has just brought us up to No. 1 in the 14-Day incidence rate.

Is it surprising when you look around and see the antics of others :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

Some people just won't be told. 😢

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

frank8211 wrote: »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54818615

This could be a serious threat to any vaccines in development. Is there still a mink farm in Donegal? Feckers escaped in 1970s and wracked havoc on salmon in rivers.

Advertisement