Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

NIMAN wrote: »
    Funny i had heard funerals mentioned a few times this last week or two.

It appears people are ignoring the rules when it comes to them, wakes etc.

One of the doctors mentioned the other day that he had 20something cases that week all linked to one wake.

I think it's a combination of things up here. The border is definitely an issue. If you look at the different regions in Donegal the West and South are much lower than the East. That has to be because of the border. The reason other border counties aren't as high is because we're bordering with the area that had the highest numbers in the whole of the UK for a while. We're also bordering two areas with high population density, and they're literally on the other side of the border.

There's obviously a whole lot of movement between the areas, and a lot of it is legitimate and allowed even with the restrictions, so how do you stop that? If you've got people working in the one space and half of them are going home to a place where there's hardly any restrictions in place and a huge transmission rate, that's going to impact on our numbers.

The fact we were in other levels of restrictions for a few weeks before the level 5 ones came in is probably a contributing factor too. People who didn't want to be following any rules in the first place might have tolerated level 3 or 4 for a week or two, but here we are 6 weeks or more down the line and we're still in the highest level restrictions. I'm sure those people have just given up even pretending they're following the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just seen a social media post from Donegal Gardai saying that from tomorrow they will be redoubling their efforts around checkpoints and trying to limit unessential travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just seen a social media post from Donegal Gardai saying that from tomorrow they will be redoubling their efforts around checkpoints and trying to limit unessential travel.

zero times zero is still zero

the number off people i know who travel up and down and they have rarely seen a checkpoint.

the number off people i know who travel up and down and they have rarely seen a checkpoint.

To be fair to the Guards they can't cover every single border crossing.

For the 1st 2 weeks I know they were on the main crossing up around Muff, Buncrana virtually constantly, I heard that from people who have to cross daily for work.

This last week has seem them leave these unmanned at times. Perhaps they thought if they did a blitz for a couple of weeks they'd deter future unnecessary crossings?

I have cross the border twice in the last 7 or 8 days and admittedly there were no checkpoints there.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Dr Denis McCauley was on the radio this morning and he mentioned funerals as being a source of high infection rate. As a GP he is obviously aware of situations where people are contracting Covid.

A woman rang into the show and while I didnt get the full story it was along the lines of a recent party with about 200 people in attendance and included a live band :eek:

There was a local funeral here in the last few days and video footage was posted on Facebook and there were loads of people lining the street with a lot of them not social distancing nor wearing masks. To make matters worse one of the mourners went along and shook hands with a lot of those people and could be seen hugging at least one person.

Its been said many times that there are people out there who simple dont give a ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Funerals are a disaster, particularly if the deceased was big in community stuff or sports locally - lots of "ah sure, its outside" things that are meant to be just observing the procession and turn in to conversations as well as people crowding around the grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Im a rep and travel the county weekly and sometimes down to sligo, was in ballina today.

Ive met 1 (ONE) checkpoint in this time during this lockdown mon to fri.

Ive met 3 (three) on the weekends.

considering ive crossed numerous county borders and been in the inishowen area quite a bit i really find it quite worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

feelpablo wrote: »
    Im a rep and travel the county weekly and sometimes down to sligo, was in ballina today.

Ive met 1 (ONE) checkpoint in this time during this lockdown mon to fri.

Ive met 3 (three) on the weekends.

considering ive crossed numerous county borders and been in the inishowen area quite a bit i really find it quite worrying

Exactly same. Work away from home, constantly crossing from north to south quiet a bit. Met one checkpoint since level 5. Anyhow if people really want to travel across they would avoid the main border crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I know of a funeral last week where 20 odd people travelled back from the US and went straight to the wake without any quarantine

Though I also have a high suspicion that the schools situation is far worse than what they're letting on, hardly a coincidence that cases dropped like a stone over mid term and now look to have stopped dropping once they're back

Exactly same. Work away from home, constantly crossing from north to south quiet a bit. Met one checkpoint since level 5. Anyhow if people really want to travel across they would avoid the main border crossing.

So why are the Guards being blamed?

Do you not think personal responsibility is the only way we will get it under control?

If you have to cross the border to work, and you can't work from home, then that's legit.

If you are crossing daily to get groceries cheaper or booze cheaper in Asda, then you're ripping the piss and making the numbers worse.

But no, it's all the Guards fault for not manning every single border crossing.

Remember, guards can't legally stop anyone from crossing the border, they can only advise.

• Advertisement

So why are the Guards being blamed?

Do you not think personal responsibility is the only way we will get it under control?

If you have to cross the border to work, and you can't work from home, then that's legit.

If you are crossing daily to get groceries cheaper or booze cheaper in Asda, then you're ripping the piss and making the numbers worse.

But no, it's all the Guards fault for not manning every single border crossing.

Remember, guards can't legally stop anyone from crossing the border, they can only advise.

I'm not blaming the guards for anything thing. It's a pointless exercise in my eyes considering your last paragraph. But no point complaining about normal people ripping the piss when you have a certain crowd in there who should be leading the people but couldn't run a piss up in a brewery.

I went to Letterkenny this morning to do a grocery shop. Passed 3 different checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Garda management just want a certain number of checkpoints, nor targeted checkpoints. Last Friday at 2.30 p.m. checkpoint at Port Bridge Letterkenny. Today at 11.30 a.m. same checkpoint. Pointless exercise. Big tailbacks of traffic, some being asked coming into town- where are you going sir. Home or to Aldi etc.
    Poor use of resources for normal policing.

fawlty682 wrote: »
    Garda management just want a certain number of checkpoints, nor targeted checkpoints. Last Friday at 2.30 p.m. checkpoint at Port Bridge Letterkenny. Today at 11.30 a.m. same checkpoint. Pointless exercise. Big tailbacks of traffic, some being asked coming into town- where are you going sir. Home or to Aldi etc.
    Poor use of resources for normal policing.

Not defending the Guards here, but big tailbacks were actually something they wanted to happen when they had checkpoints on the motorways into Dublin at the start.
    Their logic is if people get pissed off sitting for 30min then they won't make the journey the next day if they don't have to, and as a result less people will be on the move.

I don't agree with the logic btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Yep its like, you wont stay at home we will inconvenience you till you to do tactics. Yes well im trying to lift my daughter from creche so fec off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

The only people who keep the regulations are those who want to. If you don't want to happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

You shouldnt need checkpoints people need to have a bit of common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

muffler wrote: »
    Dr Denis McCauley was on the radio this morning and he mentioned funerals as being a source of high infection rate. As a GP he is obviously aware of situations where people are contracting Covid.

A woman rang into the show and while I didnt get the full story it was along the lines of a recent party with about 200 people in attendance and included a live band :eek:

There was a local funeral here in the last few days and video footage was posted on Facebook and there were loads of people lining the street with a lot of them not social distancing nor wearing masks. To make matters worse one of the mourners went along and shook hands with a lot of those people and could be seen hugging at least one person.

Its been said many times that there are people out there who simple dont give a ****

And one of those party goers is paying the price on a ventilator in letterkenny hospital

Seems Hallowe'en may be responsible for the increase in numbers we're seekng this week. Timing would be right.

January is going to be desperate if the numbers aren't way down before mid December, because you just know the vast majority of people will doing what they want over Christmas

lulu1 wrote: »
    You shouldnt need checkpoints people need to have a bit of common sense

You're preaching to the converted.

• Advertisement

49 staff members have tested positive at Letterkenny hospital for covid-19.

I haven't heard any figures for ongoing transmission to patients.

Thats not going to help the numbers for Donegal!

Wishing them all ( and anyone else infected) a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

A lot of the agency nurses in Letterkenny also work in altnagelvin

Over what time period is this?
    A week?

Sounds incredibly high.
    Any official link to this or is it a rumour?

Media reported 34 yesterday and 38 today.

Heard many such rumours over this crisis that turned out to be untrue or inaccurate.

Over what time period is this?
    A week?

Sounds incredibly high.
    Any official link to this or is it a rumour?

Media reported 34 yesterday and 38 today.

Heard many such rumours over this crisis that turned out to be untrue or inaccurate.

Time period is over the last 10 days or so.

Source is Highland radio

There are 8 (non consultant) doctors, 1 consultant, 19 nurses, 8 health care assistants confirmed- the rest of the confirmed cases are admin, and support staff, etc.

There are a total of 133 staff off duty, those with covid, and close contacts.

The number of doctors and nursing staff infected is a huge concern, both from the risk of transmission, and from a staffing level point of view.

I have no information on how many patients have been infected. Last I heard was a week ago, when they were contact tracing.

Northern Ireland about to close all their shops, just as ours are due to reopen.

I don't think ours will be reopening, to be honest, whatever about the rest of the country.

Northern Ireland about to close all their shops, just as ours are due to reopen.

I don't think ours will be reopening, to be honest, whatever about the rest of the country.

Northern Ireland letting them open for a week before they close.
    They can't get a handle on this at all, been told there hospitals won't cope and still they let them open.

Just proves that the people in charge are not fit to govern or make decisions. And not much hope for other parts of this Ireland when there is clowns in some parts making stupid decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

This is just total lunacy to me. How can the Island in its entirety possibly get a grip on reducing virus numbers with this toing and froing in all directions????
    With decisions like this we can kiss good-bye to any improvements in lowering cases soon.:(

whatswhat wrote: »
    This is just total lunacy to me. How can the Island in its entirety possibly get a grip on reducing virus numbers with this toing and froing in all directions????
    With decisions like this we can kiss good-bye to any improvements in lowering cases soon.:(

100% agree. How is Donegal expected to see an improvement from level 5 when next door is opening up. Pure lunacy.

100% agree. How is Donegal expected to see an improvement from level 5 when next door is opening up. Pure lunacy.

They're not opening up though. That's the point. They're actually shutting everything down from next Friday. Just when we should be reopening on this side. So you end up with the same problem but in the other direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I wonder if Mrs Foster is looking to have her hair done?

Advertisement