Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

echo beach wrote: »
    The difference is that while people in Donegal are expected to stay in our own county, making Sligo the same as Derry or Strabane, there has never been any advice in NI on staying within your own county or district and at the moment no restrictions apply around shopping.

In Northern Ireland. There are restrictions here. The border has had a heavy Garda presence for weeks. I dont believe for one second that people in Northern Ireland are unaware of the restrictions. Just as I am aware of what restrictions (or lack of them) there are in the North.

Its not that hard to check, in all fairness, and then simply listen to the advice being given...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

In Northern Ireland. There are restrictions here. The border has had a heavy Garda presence for weeks. I dont believe for one second that people in Northern Ireland are unaware of the restrictions. Just as I am aware of what restrictions (or lack of them) there are in the North.

Its not that hard to check, in all fairness, and then simply listen to the advice being given...

The guards and police in The north can't stop people crossing the border.

It needs a bit of cop on, it's called personal responsibility. It has been sadly lacking in this pandemic.

NIMAN wrote: »
    The guards and police in The north can't stop people crossing the border.

It needs a bit of cop on, it's called personal responsibility. It has been sadly lacking in this pandemic.

I know. But they've still been advising people about the restrictions. As you say, too many people are not listening- and don't seem to know the meaning of personal responsibility...

As far as I hear, some have also been dishing out abuse at the border crossings, when they're asked where they're going. That's not just refusing to accept responsibility- its downright selfish, ignorant, arrogance...

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just looking at one of my earlier posts that Im updating with new daily figures and I see we are on the rise again. I've been laying it out with half monthly figures. We peaked in the first half of October while the second half of October showed a reduction even though there were 16 days in the second.

Both periods in November showed a steady drop but unfortunately the first half of December shows the increase which is very disappointing especially for the people who are making sacrifices and abiding by the advice given.

Total of new positive cases over the last 3.5 months ......

First half of September - 55
    Second half of September - 355
    First half of October - 614
    Second half of October - 584
    First half of November - 476
    Second half of November - 367
    First half of December - 399

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭jaffa20

25% of cases today seem to be in border counties. Is there any breakdown of outbreaks in Donegal? Not looking for next week with increasing numbers.

• Advertisement

jaffa20 wrote: »
    25% of cases today seem to be in border counties. Is there any breakdown of outbreaks in Donegal? Not looking for next week with increasing numbers.
    No breakdowns per se but Carndonagh / North Inishowen has the highest number of confirmed positive cases based on Electoral Areas. The number of cases involving both staff and patients in Letterkenny hospital isnt helping our cause either.

Disappointing but hardly surprising that we have had a further 53 cases confirmed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭jaffa20

muffler wrote: »
    No breakdowns per se but Carndonagh / North Inishowen has the highest number of confirmed positive cases based on Electoral Areas. The number of cases involving both staff and patients in Letterkenny hospital isnt helping our cause either.

Disappointing but hardly surprising that we have had a further 53 cases confirmed today.

That's interesting thanks. I guess proximity to Derry doesn't help. I was previosuly Lifford/Stanorlar area that had higher cases because of proximity to Strabane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

jaffa20 wrote: »
    That's interesting thanks. I guess proximity to Derry doesn't help. I was previosuly Lifford/Stanorlar area that had higher cases because of proximity to Strabane.

Doesnt help but neither does holding 3 house parties...looking at you Carndonagh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Numbers are going to rocket as more people seek tests before the christmas break. I'd say why numbers have been around the 200-300 mark is that a lot of people couldn't be arsed going for tests up to this point.

Authorities in the north currently meeting to discuss draconian measures after Xmas to stop the crisis.

Will Donegal get it's own county level 5 post Xmas too I wonder?

• Advertisement

Barring a miracle its unavoidable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Authorities in the north currently meeting to discuss draconian measures after Xmas to stop the crisis.

I'm working on the assumption that the whole country will be level 5 come January.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I'm working on the assumption that the whole country will be level 5 come January.

Same. I'm being extremely careful now so I can spend a full week with my family before being locked up again for however long.

Maybe they should vaccinate Donegal first, that would really bring the overall numbers down.

/\/ollog wrote: »

Is the rest of the country that bad though? Donegal is way out in front in terms of its inability to control the virus.

I think the overall figure nation wide isn't too bad. Or are you assuming it's going to go mental after we all meet up for Xmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They could put us at Level 7 but it'll do no good as long as people are ignoring the measures. Did early Level 3 and then Level 5 do much good here?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    They could put us at Level 7 but it'll do no good as long as people are ignoring the measures. Did early Level 3 and then Level 5 do much good here?

Will be interesting to see what impact, if any, Northern Ireland's extreme 6 week lockdown has on the numbers on this side.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

carndonagh at 795.8 per 100000 for 14 days no one to blame but themselves

cases going up in sw donegal as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Will be interesting to see what impact, if any, Northern Ireland's extreme 6 week lockdown has on the numbers on this side.

What's the point in an extreme 6 week lockdown after a relaxed Christmas mixing and travelling.
    The harm will have already been done and It will be to Far gone to get under control.

In my opinion and what I am hearing Donegal and especially inishowen is very close to getting out of control once it passes a certain number it is impossible to flatten it.

I just surprised the Government hasn't locked us down already. Brexit probably more important.

What's the point in an extreme 6 week lockdown after a relaxed Christmas mixing and travelling.
    The harm will have already been done and It will be to Far gone to get under control.

In my opinion and what I am hearing Donegal and especially inishowen is very close to getting out of control once it passes a certain number it is impossible to flatten it.

I just surprised the Government hasn't locked us down already. Brexit probably more important.

As said before, political suicide to lockdown for Xmas. Let the folk have their Xmas day then lock it down, that's the logic.

They have already more or less announced tonight that there will be no N.Y. celebrations.

But it does sound really daft to be talking about tougher restrictions and lockdowns just the day before they are about to ease restrictions.

It's already beyond control in Northern Ireland but they're probably hoping they'll get a lot of vaccinations done in those 6 weeks which should have an impact on hospital numbers at least.

• Advertisement

Is the rest of the country that bad though? Donegal is way out in front in terms of its inability to control the virus.

I think the overall figure nation wide isn't too bad. Or are you assuming it's going to go mental after we all meet up for Xmas?

Some counties are doing great, but the floodgates will open tomorrow morning. 2 weeks from then the worrying 2 or 300 holohan has been talking about will start to rise, hopefully the hospitals have the capacity for it.

It's already beyond control in Northern Ireland but they're probably hoping they'll get a lot of vaccinations done in those 6 weeks which should have an impact on hospital numbers at least.

It's a choice between making a decision to save lives and preventing a total collapse of the health service or opening up for Christmas and taking a chance that the health service doesn't collapse.
    Definitely should not be relaxing restrictions for Christmas.
    I think we all know the consequences and outcome of this.
    Covid fatalities will be nothing compared to other serious illness fatalities if our health services collapse.

As said before, political suicide to lockdown for Xmas. Let the folk have their Xmas day then lock it down, that's the logic.

They have already more or less announced tonight that there will be no N.Y. celebrations.

But it does sound really daft to be talking about tougher restrictions and lockdowns just the day before they are about to ease restrictions.

I think the political suicide will go in history for relaxing the restrictions for Christmas and not taking notice of what is happening in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

OK your neighbor down the road is 60 and you just got an invite to the party

would you report it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Big Back Clock

lulu1 wrote: »
    OK your neighbor down the road is 60 and you just got an invite to the party

would you report it ?

No. Mind yourself during this whole thing, worry about you and yours and let the rest do what they please as they are going to anyway.

That’s for the Garda etc to enforce, not you.

We don’t want this place turning into England, nosy neighbors who get stuck in everything.

If I was having a family get together at New Years with my extended family and a neighbor reported us, I’d never speak to them again. That’s our choice, right or wrong

That wasn’t aimed at you personally btw lulu1, I know you were only asking! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Big Back Clock

No. Mind yourself during this whole thing, worry about you and yours and let the rest do what they please as they are going to anyway.

We don’t want this place turning into England, nosy neighbors who get stuck in everything.

If I was having a family get together at New Years with my extended family and a neighbor reported us, I’d never speak to them again. That’s our choice, right or wrong

I remember during the first lockdown a certain nosy busybody assh*le around Downings area with a surname that sounds like <mod snip> was going about taking photos of northern registered cars outside what he assumed was “holiday homes” and posting them on his Twitter , tagging councilors, Garda official account and all sorts.

I was embarrassed for him when I saw it, if the same boy was caught with a phone taking photos of your car and house outside your home you wouldn’t be long going out to him

The Gardai cant enforce anything if they are unaware of it

That wasn’t aimed at you personally btw lulu1, I know you were only asking! :)

I'd report it. Guards won't do anything anyway, or can't.
    Say one person coughs, that's the whole family, two weeks later that's the whole parish. Look after your own doesn't work like you suggest it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

No. Mind yourself during this whole thing, worry about you and yours and let the rest do what they please [...]

If I was having a family get together at New Years with my extended family and a neighbor reported us, I’d never speak to them again. That’s our choice, right or wrong.
    You know the virus is contagious, right?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what's happening with Scoil Íosagáin, in Buncrana?

I believe the decision was made to close early for Christmas, in the interest of the Health and wellbeing of the school community,the and the Dept. of Education insisted they stay open.

Advertisement