Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Does anyone know what's happening with Scoil Íosagáin, in Buncrana?

I believe the decision was made to close early for Christmas, in the interest of the Health and wellbeing of the school community,the and the Dept. of Education insisted they stay open.

Correct. Why did they inform the department? Just do it and face the consequences after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Big Back Clock

Ficheall wrote: »
    You know the virus is contagious, right?

How do you know that the attendees of a family party haven’t isolated for 2 weeks in preparation for arguably the one time each year families come together?

I can’t see why a neighbour would report someone, if they are minding themselves and taking care when they are out and about in the community, then it should be no issue, it’s not going to spread across to your house like wildfire if you aren’t coming into contact with that household.

I know what else is contagious - BS

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Correct. Why did they inform the department? Just do it and face the consequences after.

Seems a silly decision closing schools early. Unless every single child had a stay at home parent you're really just looking at a bunch kids being forced to mix with other households while their parents are at work. And everyone's social interactions are increased unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Seems a silly decision closing schools early. Unless every single child had a stay at home parent you're really just looking at a bunch kids being forced to mix with other households while their parents are at work. And everyone's social interactions are increased unnecessarily.
    Sorry minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry minister.
    Mod/ Everyone is entitled to their opinion so just tone it down a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Inishowen has never been one of the most law abiding areas of the country. That’s no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

fawlty682 wrote: »
    Inishowen has never been one of the most law abiding areas of the country. That’s no surprise.

Could you elaborate a bit more. What do you mean by law abiding, have you a few examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

fawlty682 wrote: »

Compared to where? Castlefinn? Stranorlar? Lifford?

An which laws do u reckon are they breaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

If you read that paper that shall not be named you would get the impression that Inishowen is a bit lawless but I reckon that's more their bias than being actually anymore lawless than anywhere else in Donegal.

If you read that paper that shall not be named you would get the impression that Inishowen is a bit lawless but I reckon that's more their bias than being actually anymore lawless than anywhere else in Donegal.

Could you enlighten me about my bias. I'm a bit lost understanding your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

They seem to have a lot of court cases featured that have people from Inishowen is what I mean, I dont think Inishowen is any more unlawful than the rest of the county but im guessing that they maybe Buncranna court is more likely to put up with their ****e and so they try to get more stories from that area rather than Letterkenny court. I dont mean any offense, im just guessing on why the other poster has that opinion.

fawlty682 has been given a warning for that very provocative post.

Can we stick to the Covid discussion please.

You mean they're not mixing with people from other households at school?

You mean they're not mixing with people from other households at school?

Mixing at school is necessary, and there have been very few incidents of transmission traced back to schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

and there have been very few incidents of transmission traced back to schools.

That would be because unless you can cite a positive test from another pupil; it gets recorded as household...

We've accepted the school based transmission as basically required to keep the country mostly functional - its not that there is none. Hence ~250 cases a day in L5 lockdown with schools open versus ~10 a day in Summer.

Mixing at school is necessary, and there have been very few incidents of transmission traced back to schools.

Hmm. There have been several studies on covid transmission rates in children - some of them with wildly contrasting results.

The WHO states that teenagers are just as likely as adults to transmit Covid-19. Younger children are less likely to be sources of transmission.

Note: less likely. So, the question is: Is a child mixing with 30 other children ( whom they're not allowed to associate with in the evening, in case of transmission), more, or less likely to contribute to transmission rates than an adult who mixes with, say, two other families?

I've read studies that suggest children are half as likely to get the virus, and half as likely to transmit it. You do the maths.

Furthermore, if teenagers are as infectious as adults, to the extent that 3rd level education is now almost entirely online, why is it necessary for teenagers to attend school full time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

OK I'm just back from a well known bar that serves food located in the Letterkenny area.
    Me and my wife decided to go out and have a meal, the last chance we would have had In a long time.

Now everything seemed fine, well spaced dining, social distancing and they took contact details, they had sanitiser well stocked up everywhere.

But during our meal there seemed to be a lot of noise coming from the room next door to us, another bar area.
    We noticed people coming in and out using the toilets, none had masks on.
    Then a few came in taking chairs from where we were back into the other bar.
    A few of them seemed quite well oiled.

At the end of our meal I decided to take a quick peak behind the door. The small room was packed out with people, at least 14 all sitting around one table in the middle and many others close by.

Is there any justification for this?
    The only thing I can think of where this may be allowed is maybe if it was a was a wedding reception? It didn't seem like it was to me.

Anyway it was very disappointing to see and I could imagine if anyone had the virus in that room it would have spread very easily.

OK I'm just back from a well known bar that serves food located in the Letterkenny area.
    Me and my wife decided to go out and have a meal, the last chance we would have had In a long time.

Now everything seemed fine, well spaced dining, social distancing and they took contact details, they had sanitiser well stocked up everywhere.

But during our meal there seemed to be a lot of noise coming from the room next door to us, another bar area.
    We noticed people coming in and out using the toilets, none had masks on.
    Then a few came in taking chairs from where we were back into the other bar.
    A few of them seemed quite well oiled.

At the end of our meal I decided to take a quick peak behind the door. The small room was packed out with people, at least 14 all sitting around one table in the middle and many others close by.

Is there any justification for this?
    The only thing I can think of where this may be allowed is maybe if it was a was a wedding reception? It didn't seem like it was to me.

Anyway it was very disappointing to see and I could imagine if anyone had the virus in that room it would have spread very easily.

Happening in alot of places. Seen a video from a bar in carndonagh on Saturday and Sunday evening. Makes a joke of the whole letting places open if they practice social distancing and keep crowds small.
    Some of these bars and places just don't give a damn. Sure who's policing this.
    Were up **** creek after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Happening in alot of places. Seen a video from a bar in carndonagh on Saturday and Sunday evening. Makes a joke of the whole letting places open if they practice social distancing and keep crowds small. Some of these bars and places just don't give a damn. Sure who's policing this. Were up **** creek after Christmas.

Yes, this kind of thing going on is so frustrating to everyone else who is trying there best to adhere to all the restrictions.

It was surprising for me to see as I thought this particular establishment would have been more responsible, but I guess probably like some other places, they just want to put up a show that they are adhering to the restrictions but really don't give a sh**t.

It's so easy to see why we are getting back into the mess we are again with this kind of carry on though. Unfortunately it's going to make for a long winter for us all.

We have all heard of the various social gatherings and while all the regulars posting in this thread are "doing their best" its very disappointing to both hear and see these idiotic practices. Personally I have sacrificed a lot this year in order to keep my family safe and I'll admit there have been times I have been tempted to toss those sacrifices away. I hope for the best but fear the worst at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I feel the same muffler. Today I heard a woman I went to school with is running an illegal pub from her shed. I am totally disgusted with this behaviour. My mum is in a nursing home and I have not seen her for months. She was allowed one visitor once a week for the past two weeks. Two of my siblings wanted to go so I did not get. My brother was due to go after Christmas but it looks like that visit will be cancelled now. Some people are acting very selfishly and pushing further restrictions on those of us obeying all the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

feel the same . just managed to convince the in laws that it probably not the best idea to have us stay over so we are leaving it until later in the year. havent seen my mum in a nursing home in England since jan. she tested positive a few weeks ago after a trip to a&e after a fall. but she's fine now.

just heard some stories about a cluster as well just no sense some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Large fines for anyone who attends these get togethers and larger for the person who organises them I'm not talking 20 or 30 euro but at least well into the hundreds .And make them pay

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Last week I went to Galway [Hospital reasons] and it had to involve an overnight stay. I was quite nervous about this to begin about staying in a Hotel but it had to be done. We checked in late on purpose so as only to need one evening meal and get back to our room asap.
    The food/bar area was extremely busy when we went down to eat and we were fortunate to be placed in a corner, on a table for 2 that was actually 2m away from the next table.
    It felt a bit strange to us sitting there as this was only the third time this year that we have eaten out, the other two were pre-March.
    The waitress sanitised the table and took our order and then I sanitised it again, developed OCD this year :]
    Masks on and 2 metres away from anyone, we began watching folk are were almost struck dumb with what we saw.
    One elderly couple stood up to greet a second joining them and it was clearly apparent they hadn't seen each other for a while as not only did they hug, shake hands but they kissed!!!
    A group of young lands, 6 of them sat on a table for 4 and grabbed extra stools to sit on, their table was only one metre square to begin with.
    Down the bottom end sat 4 middle age folk, all with masks under their chins which never moved as they constantly went up and down, in and out to the smoking area and bathroom.
    We sat there from start to finish for a total of 75 minutes to finish our meal and then left. Some tables had never even ordered food but the wine was flowing, we doubt that they even intended to eat.
    The offenders were all people of all ages, so no specific age group can be totally to blame for all this disregard. It is a sad reflection like many others on this thread of people not adhering to safety advice and cannot be trusted to help reduce the spread of the virus.
    We came away from the experience feeling deflated and even though we are positive people, we both said that at this rate 2021 will be no different from the horrible year that was 2020.
    I hope we are wrong.

whatswhat wrote: »
    Last week I went to Galway [Hospital reasons] and it had to involve an overnight stay. I was quite nervous about this to begin about staying in a Hotel but it had to be done. We checked in late on purpose so as only to need one evening meal and get back to our room asap.
    The food/bar area was extremely busy when we went down to eat and we were fortunate to be placed in a corner, on a table for 2 that was actually 2m away from the next table.
    It felt a bit strange to us sitting there as this was only the third time this year that we have eaten out, the other two were pre-March.
    The waitress sanitised the table and took our order and then I sanitised it again, developed OCD this year :]
    Masks on and 2 metres away from anyone, we began watching folk are were almost struck dumb with what we saw.
    One elderly couple stood up to greet a second joining them and it was clearly apparent they hadn't seen each other for a while as not only did they hug, shake hands but they kissed!!!
    A group of young lands, 6 of them sat on a table for 4 and grabbed extra stools to sit on, their table was only one metre square to begin with.
    Down the bottom end sat 4 middle age folk, all with masks under their chins which never moved as they constantly went up and down, in and out to the smoking area and bathroom.
    We sat there from start to finish for a total of 75 minutes to finish our meal and then left. Some tables had never even ordered food but the wine was flowing, we doubt that they even intended to eat.
    The offenders were all people of all ages, so no specific age group can be totally to blame for all this disregard. It is a sad reflection like many others on this thread of people not adhering to safety advice and cannot be trusted to help reduce the spread of the virus.
    We came away from the experience feeling deflated and even though we are positive people, we both said that at this rate 2021 will be no different from the horrible year that was 2020.
    I hope we are wrong.

Seems to be a similar story whoever your speaking to.
    Truth is you go out to unwind and relax, meet up to socialize. So anyone thinking that people are going to adhere to the rules are very much wrong. Also if the owners or management enforce the restrictions to harshly they know that the customers will go elsewhere and probably won't have to go to far to find one that will suit.

I think myself we are nearly at the stage now that flattening the curve will be nearly impossible. So all we can do is try and keep ourselves and our own family safe and hopefully the vaccine will be rolled out quickly in the new year.

Also I do not blame our Government one bit. Alot of people nowadays are so self centred and so entitled that no matter what the government suggests or brings in they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Stay safe.

I think myself we are nearly at the stage now that flattening the curve will be nearly impossible. So all we can do is try and keep ourselves and our own family safe and hopefully the vaccine will be rolled out quickly in the new year.

Ireland are one of the few countries to actually have a "good" 2nd wave. That's why we're in a 3rd wave now rather than still in a really bad 2nd wave. And we did it despite the gob****es that are continually ignoring all the restrictions and guidelines. I understand completely how annoying and demoralising it is to be looking into another year of hard restrictions and very high case numbers again, but we have done it twice now, we can do it again.

A friends son came back from england last week and her and her husband had planned to join their son and his family for xmas dinner
    She phoned me this evening saying with all the talk about this new strain of virus and the son just back she didnt really want to go for the dinner

She feels she cant back out because she might offend the other in laws who are also going .

I know she will go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

lulu1 wrote: »
    A friends son came back from england last week and her and her husband had planned to join their son and his family for xmas dinner
    She phoned me this evening saying with all the talk about this new strain of virus and the son just back she didnt really want to go for the dinner

She feels she cant back out because she might offend the other in laws who are also going .

I know she will go

Will they be offended if she ends up in ICU before new years I wonder.

madalig12 wrote: »
    Will they be offended if she ends up in ICU before new years I wonder.

my thoughts exactly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

If they've been there a week and it's a more infectious strain, she's already got it if they had it.

Advertisement