Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We have had our biggest number of new confirmed cases today both at county level and national level. 85 new cases confirmed today and honestly I expect that figure to rise over the coming days.

Not surprising though when you see and hear about the bloody idiots out partying over the festive season and lets not forget those "in the trade" who accommodated these selfish gatherings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

When does the inter county restrictions and the tightening of restrictions come into affect.
    I had to travel to letterkenny today and looking at the registration plates and crowds about the shops it seems to me that the only difference now is people are wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

I went to Letterkenny today to do the weekly shop. It was crowded. And when I didn't slap some of my fellow supermarket shoppers I'll never slap anyone! The majority of people did not seem to understand the concept of personal space, never mind social distancing. The supermarket was limiting the numbers entering but once inside it was a free-for-all. There was a queue outside and people were driving up and letting a passenger out to stand in the queue while they went and parked and got their shopping bags, trolley, etc. At one point, the queue was stagnant as a woman refused to move into the shop until her partner joined her with the trolley. She's a lucky woman that she wasn't lynched! I left and went to another, quieter shop to get my essentials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

muffler wrote: »
    We have had our biggest number of new confirmed cases today both at county level and national level. 85 new cases confirmed today and honestly I expect that figure to rise over the coming days.

Not surprising though when you see and hear about the bloody idiots out partying over the festive season and lets not forget those "in the trade" who accommodated these selfish gatherings.

Selfish is not the word. When will people wise up!! I know of a pre Christmas reunion dinner where half of the attendees were infected by a super spreader (still awaiting test results for others). It's not nice for people to be getting calls to say they are a close contact and all plans to see immediate family members on Christmas Day had to go out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

150 in Donegal reported today.
    1718 in total with 13 deaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

CastorTroy wrote: »
    150 in Donegal reported today.
    1718 in total with 13 deaths

There is no point in asking what's going on in Donegal with the high numbers when we know

The Government didnt release figures for new positive cases on Xmas day and Boxing day but I deduced from the figures listed here that we had 77 and 133 respectively.

We're on course to hit 1,000 new cases for the second half of December :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The scary part is that those people testing positive yesterday probably all had it over Christmas and were mixing with other people. Even if with just one other household that's maybe 2 or 3, at least, close contacts, so potentially 300ish more cases just from them alone in the coming days.

51 new cases here today.

Buncrana EA appears to be the worst in the country with a 14 day incidence rate of 679.6 measured up to 28 December.

I cant see the 14 day rate for Donegal as a county but Im sure its the highest in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

51 new cases here today.

I cant see the 14 day rate for Donegal as a county but Im sure its the highest in the country.
    Only 2nd highest this evening at 532.1. Monaghan has the dubious honour of topping the table with 553.9. It's one league that I'm happy to have lost the top spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't hear of any parties local to me but heard of some idiocy in other parts of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Didn't hear of any parties local to me but heard of some idiocy in other parts of the country

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Stupid question but what towns come under North Inishowen and South Inishowen

Havent been out myself or indeed talking to anyone so not aware of any. But Im sure there were lots.

I did however hear about a so called gastro pub in the Finn Valley area where the publican wouldnt heed the advice of Gardai and it is now shut ... not because of the level 5 restrictions but by either an order from the Garda superintendent or the court.

Then we had another premises where the owner, who had a family member with Covid, went round various customers and infected a lot of them.

lulu1 wrote: »
    Stupid question but what towns come under North Inishowen and South Inishowen
    Not being pedantic but the Electoral Areas are officially called Carndonagh and Buncrana. :)

This map will give you all the info you need right down to what towns, villages and townlands are contained in the various EA's. Just zoom in and click on the required spot and you will get a pop up window with the relevant data.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If any of you have young kids at school, I wouldn't be surprised if you see a lot more of them over the month of January.

Can't see schools opening on the 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

NIMAN wrote: »
    If any of you have young kids at school, I wouldn't be surprised if you see a lot more of them over the month of January.

Can't see schools opening on the 11th.

I hope not. I was reading data from analysis of the new strain in the UK and apparently it’s rampant in school going children. Many may be asymptomatic however they are spreading it to family/grandparents etc so if our gov take stock of it then I can’t see how they can open the schools but then I was also reading where Norma is adamant the schools are opening and they’re just going to ramp up the testing protocol...

I can see a delay in schools reopening being sold as a "it's only a month out of kids lives and it might just save their grandparents " type deal.

Come 11th Jan we will still be seeing massive numbers being reported daily, and nphet have already advocated a full lockdown to government, so how would it look to open up all the schools fully in such a case?

Not going to happen.

I can see a delay in schools reopening being sold as a "it's only a month out of kids lives and it might just save their grandparents " type deal.

Come 11th Jan we will still be seeing massive numbers being reported daily, and nphet have already advocated a full lockdown to government, so how would it look to open up all the schools fully in such a case?

Not going to happen.

I hope not! I think it would be the definition of Insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

It would. There are people on media and twitter itching to close schools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Bloody hell.

EqvxLRuXUAIOUEi?format=jpg&name=medium

I hope not! I think it would be the definition of Insanity.

I too hope the schools open as normal on 11th, but look at it practically.

The figures they are telling us is up to 3000 daily cases for the next week at least, until the level 5 restrictions start to have an effect. And that's assuming people do as they are told and the figures come down sufficiently.

You really think if we have a week of such figures they will give the go ahead to let all the schools reopen?

Not a chance.

Best case scenario I think will be maybe closed for maybe another fortnight to see if the l5 restrictions work and bring the R number down.

An unbelievable figure of 339 cases announced today. :eek:

Im shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Who’s can figures double in 24 hours. Sligo for instance, 10, next day. 150 ?

An unbelievable figure of 339 cases announced today. :eek:

Im shocked!

I'm not given how things have been going through December. That's including some of the backlog from over the last week, but it's hardly surprising based on even just the stories people have been posting in here.

It's ridiculous to think Donegal had something like 700 cases between March and the first reopening in June/July and at some point this week we'll probably see more than that logged in a day.

Pretty safe to assume the vast majority of people have it now and take all measures to avoid anyone and everyone where possible.

fawlty682 wrote: »
    Who’s can figures double in 24 hours. Sligo for instance, 10, next day. 150 ?

That's a bit more than double. Every county will see that over the next week or so because there's around 9000 positive cases that haven't been officially logged with the HSE yet. Just like how there's usually a reduction in numbers over the weekend and Monday sees a spike. Except it's much bigger because it was Christmas.

Does anyone else think that the daily figures are being used for political reasons or justification of certain actions? Personally I have a huge doubt on the reliability of so called stats that are being provided by official sources.

Does anyone else think that the daily figures are being used for political reasons or justification of certain actions? Personally I have a huge doubt on the reliability of so called stats that are being provided by official sources.

Why would they need to lie to justify lockdowns and other life saving measures? Nobody benefits from the entire country being shut down.

And even if you don't want to believe the daily case numbers the hospital admittance and ICU numbers are there to see. Ask anyone working in any of the hospitals and they'll tell you exactly how real the numbers are.

I too hope the schools open as normal on 11th, but look at it practically.

The figures they are telling us is up to 3000 daily cases for the next week at least, until the level 5 restrictions start to have an effect. And that's assuming people do as they are told and the figures come down sufficiently.

You really think if we have a week of such figures they will give the go ahead to let all the schools reopen?

Not a chance.

Best case scenario I think will be maybe closed for maybe another fortnight to see if the l5 restrictions work and bring the R number down.

Sorry, Niman, I think I didn't make myself clear.

I think reopening the schools on the 11th would be insane.

I understand that would cause hardship for some families, whether through arranging extra childcare, or for one of a myriad of other reasons.

What I don't understand is the fixation on a one size fits all rationale behind pretty much everything this Government does.

Surely online learning should be available at this point for those who want or need it. Leaving reduced numbers in the schools of those who either want their children to be at school, or have no other option...

Seriously, how hard can it be to livestream lessons?

• Advertisement

Absolutely. Particularly when it comes to schools.

Firstly, we have the ludicrous situation where children in secondary school are not considered close contacts of confirmed cases unless they've been together for an unbroken period of two hours. Yet those same children are considered close contacts after 15 minutes the second they exit the school gates.

That's before we count the fact that, where a child contracts covid-19 at school, then goes on to infect family members, that transmission is not classed as school related, but as family transmission - which skews the statistics more than a little...

I think they call it " public relations", rather than what it is - a load of bull...

Advertisement