Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

fawlty682 wrote: »
    . No point in people arguing about stuff they can’t control

I think Lochlad should take a leaf from you book on that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There is a Twitter page called 'Covid-19 Data Ireland'

Each day the number of positive swabs for the previous 24 hours is recorded/published along with the number of overall swabs taken/performed. This is the true number each day, they then have to be inputted into the dinosaur recording system used by the HSE which can only handle a few thousand inputs and is time consuming and so not all positive swabs are recorded for that date so the HSE numbers each day are only the positive cases reported to them. I have no idea why they don't just announce the number of positive swabs as this is all that is needed, then at the end of each week they can provide a break down which is available once the cases are reported officially to the HSE.

For example, yesterday the number of positive swabs for the previous day was 6862. The number of cases 'reported' to HSE for previous 24 hrs was 7836 however this includes 1000 of the back logged figures. From my reckoning and watching it over the last number of days there is still a backlog of approx. 8 - 9,000 cases which have yet to be reported and included in the daily figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Firblog wrote: »
    If pointing out the absurdity in an argument is sarcasm then I'm guilty.

So give figures from your sources, how much are the official figures out by? What is the true rate of infection in the county?

If you're not gonna give hard figures you don't really have any 'sources' you're just repeating gossip.
    Look, you have been on a mini crusade since a previous post of mine so I'll explain the obvious to you. I have several family members / friends who work in LUH. They have told me that they believe there are more people with Covid in the hospital than whats being officially announced. I relayed that info to this thread.

Can they prove it? No
    Did they give exact numbers? No. But they would put a 10% - 15% increase on to the official figures.
    Do I believe them? Yes.
    Do you believe or would you ever believe them? Entirely your choice.

Now we all have the right to choose what we want to believe or not believe, Its a personal choice and I wont force my opinions on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Another big big danger of this covid is how it can divide.
    I know families who have actually stopped speaking because of different opinions. The animosity and abuse I have seen between believers and non believers online makes me seriously think about taking a break from social media networks. Instead of people coming together it seems to be dividing alot.

If pointing out the absurdity in an argument is sarcasm then I'm guilty.

So give figures from your sources, how much are the official figures out by? What is the true rate of infection in the county?

If you're not gonna give hard figures you don't really have any 'sources' you're just repeating gossip.

For which particular day? The numbers fluctuate, naturally.

There have been days when the additional hospitalised cases have been double what was quoted, due to delays in test results, but overall, I'd say 20 - 30%.

I've no idea what the situation is this week, I don't actually hound people for stats.

My sources are not family members, but they are people I know, and trust.
    I've been consistently hearing the same thing from all of them. The numbers are higher than we're being told.

They are also professionals, btw - with no motivation to lie, just concern for patients. About as far from gossips as you can get...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

fawlty682 wrote: »
    New year resolution, don’t listen to Claire, Pat or Greg. Avoid papers and news. Heads down for a month and review. No point in people arguing about stuff they can’t control. Listen to music etc. that’s my plan. Say safe.

Here Here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

muffler wrote: »
    Look, you have been on a mini crusade since a previous post of mine so I'll explain the obvious to you. I have several family members / friends who work in LUH. They have told me that they believe there are more people with Covid in the hospital than whats being officially announced. I relayed that info to this thread.

Can they prove it? No
    Did they give exact numbers? No. But they would put a 10% - 15% increase on to the official figures.
    Do I believe them? Yes.
    Do you believe or would you ever believe them? Entirely your choice.

Now we all have the right to choose what we want to believe or not believe, Its a personal choice and I wont force my opinions on anyone.

Obvious? Really? How is any one meant to deduce that from the post I originally queried below?
    Does anyone else think that the daily figures are being used for political reasons or justification of certain actions? Personally I have a huge doubt on the reliability of so called stats that are being provided by official sources.

You've now actually answered the question I asked and it's the opposite of what I was taking from the post above..

From reading that one I thought that you were saying that the figures that were being released were higher that what you thought the actual ones were, and were questioning the tightening of restrictions, I made it quite clear the first time I asked you for the number - I asked So are they telling you there are less people in intensive care than the official figures, or less people in the hospital sick with covid? How big is the discrepancy between the official figures and your figures?

I don't think I'm the only one who read that in your post - another user actually pulled you on that too
    Why would they need to lie to justify lockdowns and other life saving measures? Nobody benefits from the entire country being shut down.

And even if you don't want to believe the daily case numbers the hospital admittance and ICU numbers are there to see. Ask anyone working in any of the hospitals and they'll tell you exactly how real the numbers are.

All you said was you didn't believe the official figures, you didn't mention relatives or friends working in LUH, didn't say you thought the official numbers were too low, none of those things were obvious from your post.

If someone writing in the paper that can't be named for fear of getting banned wrote "Does anyone else think that the daily figures are being used for political reasons or justification of certain actions? Personally I have a huge doubt on the reliability of so called stats that are being provided by official sources." without backing up their claim you'd be pointing to it as evidence proving its rag.

For which particular day? The numbers fluctuate, naturally.

There have been days when the additional hospitalised cases have been double what was quoted, due to delays in test results, but overall, I'd say 20 - 30%.

I've no idea what the situation is this week, I don't actually hound people for stats.

My sources are not family members, but they are people I know, and trust.
    I've been consistently hearing the same thing from all of them. The numbers are higher than we're being told.

They are also professionals, btw - with no motivation to lie, just concern for patients. About as far from gossips as you can get...

There you go, 'due to delay in test results' therefore when the test results come in the official figures are updated..

So figures are reported to nphet at 12 noon say for previous 24 hrs, we hear the numbers at 6pm, by that time there have been 2 or 3 more runs of swabs tested in the hospital ~ 600 more tested? End of the day your sources are bound to come up with different number when they leave in the evening than what nphet tell the country. It doesn't mean that nphet are giving incorrect numbers, they are giving the number of positive tests in a 24 hr period.

If we believe your sources, then you say 20/30% more people being hospitalized? Lets say 25%? So when official sources say 4 people are being admitted with covid to LUH in any day, it's really 5? For how long has this being going on?

I think the official number for covid cases in care in LUH is 52 at the minute, are you saying it is really 65? I seriously don't understand what you or your sources are saying, perhaps you really should ask them for actual figures, not a percentage guestimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

So are they telling you there are less people in intensive care than the official figures, or less people in the hospital sick with covid?

Fewer :)

Technique wrote: »
    Fewer :)

LOL yes fewer :D

• Advertisement

You've now actually answered the question I asked
    Mod/ leave it at that now.

Mod/ leave it at that now.

Not unexpected. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Reports on the news tonight that LUH is under severe pressure, with 7 to 9 ambulances queuing outside as they can't accept the patients.

Worrying times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

NIMAN wrote: »

Worrying times.

Indeed, it’s a really bad time to be sick from any illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

This is the really worrying part. If, for some "normal" reason, you end up needing an ICU bed how likely are you to get one now? How long before we see an Italy situation where the doctors will have to decide who is most likely to survive and base treatment on that.

People need to catch themselves on big time.

For sure.
    Look at this example of an NI man who has had his surgery for pancreatic cancer cancelled.

It could be a life and death situation for him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55584820

Terrified watching Claire Byrne

lulu1 wrote: »
    Terrified watching Claire Byrne

Ah come on, she's not that bad.

Today's new case numbers of 34 is to be welcomed as it is the lowest we've seen since Dec. 28. But as it's a Monday we may not have an accurate result for the weekend tests.

There's some real stupid things still being done by certain members of the public. One case Im fully aware of is a family who couldnt get an anniversary mass said for a deceased relative so they held a party instead. I dont need to tell you the outcome :(

Been a while now since anyone posted here and I cant say that I blame people as a lot of us who have been "doing our bit" are tired and weary at this stage.

How else are we supposed to feel when you see and hear of all the ridiculous things being done by others not least our own Taoiseach who now says that had he known there would be such a surge he would never have allowed the bars and restaurants to open in December. Very strange as this was exactly what NPHET told him would happen yet he believed his popularity was more important than peoples lives.

Figures are remaining stubbornly high particularly in the Stranorlar - Lifford EA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I was only wondering today how Donegal was getting on, and thinking this thread had gone very quiet.

(I spend most of my time studiously avoiding all things Covid these days)

Rest assured, we're all weary - I'm living for the day that I can get back up to Donegal (where I am far more in splendid isolation than in Dublin), I'm missing it so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

office (only one in there broadband copes with one at home not two) home and shops twice a week thats about it

although i think possibly nearly the worst thing about the 5km restrictions is the amount of dog s**t on the pavements round the town

pretty damn quiet in donegal town

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

although i think possibly nearly the worst thing about the 5km restrictions is the amount of dog s**t on the pavements round the town

I'm just back from walking my dog and it is terrible but at least there was no bags of dog poop, they were everywhere during that first lockdown

Regarding vaccine has everyone to go to Letterkenny for it.

I know the elderly is getting it in their local surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

I don't think they've thought that far ahead yet. There was someone from some co-ordination committee on RTE earlier and she couldn't/wouldn't answer that question.

What I can make out of the latest developments is that a lot/majority of people will be vaccinated in Letterkenny or alternatively in GP's surgeries but not all GPs will be providing the vaccinations though. Chemists (and dentists) were looking to be included but I think the current proposal is for the pharmacists and dentist to become "vaccinators" in the Letterkenny hub

There was a clamour by the chemists and their representative bodies to be allowed carry out the vaccinations but at €60 a person you can see why :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

A few thoughts on the proposals -

The vaccination hubs make a lot of sense as long as they're conveniently located. Unfortunately, Letterkenny isn't convenient for everyone. The issue of going to your nearest hub in another county was raised today but no answer was forthcoming. Think of someone from, say, Bundoran going to Sligo instead of Letterkenny. I think this will be a greater problem in counties such as Galway, Mayo, or Kerry.

Another issue is the online registration. Will it be first come, first served? Will we have to bring evidence of our occupation, serious illness, number of people sharing our accommodation, etc, to the hub? Will they turn away the person who has lost a few kilos since registration and now has a BMI of 39.9?

I doubt if the vaccinators will be GPs, pharmacists, or practice nurses. They will have the day job to be going on with. So, will they be army medics? Civil Defence?

Lots of questions....

well thats the lowest 7 days i think since sept

14 day rate at 199.1 per 100,000

lets hope it keeps going down

JoannieG wrote: »
    A few thoughts on the proposals -

The vaccination hubs make a lot of sense as long as they're conveniently located. Unfortunately, Letterkenny isn't convenient for everyone. The issue of going to your nearest hub in another county was raised today but no answer was forthcoming. Think of someone from, say, Bundoran going to Sligo instead of Letterkenny. I think this will be a greater problem in counties such as Galway, Mayo, or Kerry.

Another issue is the online registration. Will it be first come, first served? Will we have to bring evidence of our occupation, serious illness, number of people sharing our accommodation, etc, to the hub? Will they turn away the person who has lost a few kilos since registration and now has a BMI of 39.9?

I doubt if the vaccinators will be GPs, pharmacists, or practice nurses. They will have the day job to be going on with. So, will they be army medics? Civil Defence?

Lots of questions....

Too many questions, and no answers.

It looks like Letterkenny is set to be our only vaccination hub - which, as you have rightly pointed out, makes no sense.

But then again, having Letterkenny as the test centre didn't make any sense, either.
    My Grandson was tested last week ( negative, thankfully).

His mother doesn't drive, therefore I had to drive him to the test centre. That meant being in an enclosed space for over 2 hours, between journey and waiting times.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever if containment within family groups was the objective.
    Yet, that's the way it's been since the beginning.

The same question now arises for families where one person doesn't want the vaccine. Are those who get the vaccine going to be a risk to those who don't? Which vaccines are the different groups going to get? What are the different risk factors?

Considering we're all sick to the back teeth of covid " news" being thrust at us from all angles, how the hell is it even possible that we
    don't have any basic questions about vaccination being asked, never mind answered?

Honestly, we're all being treated like idiots. The whole engagement process seems to be
    "There's a vaccination centre, go there, take your vaccine - and accept whatever we decide, because Joe Public is too stupid to give any explanations to".

Honestly, it drives me mad!😡

• Advertisement

HSE and Organization = oxymoron

Advertisement