Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We have to remember that one of the vaccines, maybe the one that's going to be administered most, has very strict storage and transport restrictions.

It has to be stored at very low temps and can only be out of such temps for a few hours, so it would be awkward to have it moved around to rural areas. Perhaps that's why there are central hubs being set up?

Of course it doesn't make it convenient for those of us who are 1hr from Letterkenny, but these are unprecedented times and if it's possible to make the trip I think people should try to do it without getting up in arms (pardon the pun).

But even a few more smaller hubs, in places like Buncrana or Ballybofey for example, would help a lot.

HSE and Organization = oxymoron

😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

My solution would be instead of the doctor getting €60.
    He or she should get 30 and person receiving the vaccine gets 30.
    Still a nice earner for the doctors, alot of anti vaxers would jump ship and would be a help to travel costs for all those who think letterkenny is to far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

My solution would be instead of the doctor getting €60.
    He or she should get 30 and person receiving the vaccine gets 30.
    Still a nice earner for the doctors, alot of anti vaxers would jump ship and would be a help to travel costs for all those who think letterkenny is to far away.
    Cant argue with that :)

NIMAN wrote: »
    We have to remember that one of the vaccines, maybe the one that's going to be administered most, has very strict storage and transport restrictions.

It has to be stored at very low temps and can only be out of such temps for a few hours, so it would be awkward to have it moved around to rural areas. Perhaps that's why there are central hubs being set up?

Of course it doesn't make it convenient for those of us who are 1hr from Letterkenny, but these are unprecedented times and if it's possible to make the trip I think people should try to do it without getting up in arms (pardon the pun).

But even a few more smaller hubs, in places like Buncrana or Ballybofey for example, would help a lot.

Fair points, Niman.

Personally, I'd be quite happy to travel to Letterkenny for the vaccine, but that's not to say there aren't plenty of people who would have genuine problems doing so.

I'd honestly be more concerned about which vaccine I'll be offered - just because I'm a contrary sod, and I'd like to do a bit of research first.

I do intend to get vaccinated, before someone accuses me of being anti vaccine. I just like to make informed choices, and for all the information we get about covid, information on the risk factors associated with the vaccines is in short supply.

So, we're left with either hysterical anti vax rubbish on social media sites, or very little information from the HSE.
    I know the risk factors aren't fully understood yet - but I'd like to know what statistics are available to date, and I think it would be a good idea for the HSE (or NPHET) to keep us as informed as possible - otherwise people are going to listen to the hysterical nonsense that's being peddled on social media.

• Advertisement

I know the risk factors aren't fully understood yet - but I'd like to know what statistics are available to date, and I think it would be a good idea for the HSE (or NPHET) to keep us as informed as possible - otherwise people are going to listen to the hysterical nonsense that's being peddled on social media.

To be fair, if you aren't an anti-vaxxer, then you have to believe that all these authorities who have tested and studied these vaccines aren't lying when they say they are safe. They wouldn't have cleared them for use if they had any doubts.

Add to this there has been tens of millions people vaccinated in the world so far, indeed 15 million alone in our nearest neighbours, and there has been next to no reports of anyone suffering any side effects bar a few with anaphylactic issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Less than 5 cases today.

Must be the first time since what, September? August even?

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Less than 5 cases today.

Must be the first time since what, September? August even?
    I've been keeping 2 previous posts (here and here) up to date with the daily announcements of new confirmed cases. They're both the same but just different layouts or formats. Anyhow you have to go back to Sept 15 to get a figure below 5.

Id like to think or rather hope that the numbers coming in over the coming days and weeks will remain as low but past figures would suggest lots of mini local spikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

I'd honestly be more concerned about which vaccine I'll be offered - just because I'm a contrary sod, and I'd like to do a bit of research first.

I do intend to get vaccinated, before someone accuses me of being anti vaccine. I just like to make informed choices, and for all the information we get about covid, information on the risk factors associated with the vaccines is in short supply.

Don't know if this helps but:

Pfizer vaccine: 65 of us had first dose the weekend before Christmas. Only one of us had side effects, flu like symptoms, and she had previously had covid in the summer. Some others (incl me) had a bit of a sore arm the following day.

Oxford AZ vaccine: Know of about 100 have had it this far over the past month. Approx 30% have had flu like symptoms for up to two days.

No-one has reported the need to go and smash up the local Apple Store ;)

To be fair, if you aren't an anti-vaxxer, then you have to believe that all these authorities who have tested and studied these vaccines aren't lying when they say they are safe. They wouldn't have cleared them for use if they had any doubts.

Add to this there has been tens of millions people vaccinated in the world so far, indeed 15 million alone in our nearest neighbours, and there has been next to no reports of anyone suffering any side effects bar a few with anaphylactic issues.

I do believe they are safe. (Although I'd still like more info).
    Which is precisely why I'm more than happy to be vaccinated.

My husband, who is higher risk than I am, is not an anti vaxxer, but is concerned at some of the posts he reads on social media, so, he's more hesitant than I am.

I'm sure he's not the only one - therefore surely it's a good idea to replace misinformation with actual stats, no?

• Advertisement

... is concerned at some of the posts he reads on social media, so, he's more hesitant than I am.

What type of posts is he reading on social media though?

Is it the typical nonsense that fills Facebook, or is it from credible posters? I wouldn't believe most things I read on social media, especially if its anti-something. The platforms are full of folk just reposting lies and misinformation.

But no-one is going to be forced to take any vaccine. It's a personal decision at the end of the day.

What type of posts is he reading on social media though?

Is it the typical nonsense that fills Facebook,

He's reading absolute rubbish.
    But some of the pictures being posted (which couldn't possibly be related to vaccination, btw) are having an effect.

Now, I know they're rubbish - but my problem is in getting stats to counter some very graphic images - some of them allegedly posted by nurses, whereas any nurse would know damn well that these images have nothing to do with vaccination.

He lives with a condition that could literally end his life in minutes, aka, he lives in fear.
    It's very easy for me to say that what he reads is nonsense - but without stats is also very hard to counter the fearmongers who are preying on precisely that vulnerable group, particularly when they claim to be medical professionals.

From chats I've had with people, he's a long way from being alone in not knowing what to believe.
    So, my opinion is that reliable stats are needed to counter the lies.

As I said, it's pretty easy to make a decision to get vaccinated when you have no serious health complications.

But if you do have serious issues, and you're faced with what you believe to be an immediate threat, versus what you believe to be the greater threat from covid, which you've now been conditioned to believe you can avoid, if you follow safety advice - a lot of people will avoid what they see as the immediate threat - and that's exactly what my OH is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

He's reading absolute rubbish.
    But some of the pictures being posted (which couldn't possibly be related to vaccination, btw) are having an effect.

Now, I know they're rubbish - but my problem is in getting stats to counter some very graphic images - some of them allegedly posted by nurses, whereas any nurse would know damn well that these images have nothing to do with vaccination.

He lives with a condition that could literally end his life in minutes, aka, he lives in fear.
    It's very easy for me to say that what he reads is nonsense - but without stats is also very hard to counter the fearmongers who are preying on precisely that vulnerable group, particularly when they claim to be medical professionals.

From chats I've had with people, he's a long way from being alone in not knowing what to believe.
    So, my opinion is that reliable stats are needed to counter the lies.

As I said, it's pretty easy to make a decision to get vaccinated when you have no serious health complications.

But if you do have serious issues, and you're faced with what you believe to be an immediate threat, versus what you believe to be the greater threat from covid, which you've now been conditioned to believe you can avoid, if you follow safety advice - a lot of people will avoid what they see as the immediate threat - and that's exactly what my OH is doing.

Stop using social media, simple as that.

As for stats, get him to read these articles on the Journal that factcheck the lies and misinformation that is posted on social media https://www.thejournal.ie/factcheck/news/

slimboyfat wrote: »
    Stop using social media, simple as that.

As for stats, get him to read these articles on the Journal that factcheck the lies and misinformation that is posted on social media https://www.thejournal.ie/factcheck/news/

Thanks for the fact check, I'll get him to read it.
    Stopping social media, on the other hand? Highly unlikely - it's one of his few links with the outside world..

He sounds like he has himself convinced these posts are accurate, in which case it'll be hard to make him change his mind.

The power of fake news.

He sounds like he has himself convinced these posts are accurate, in which case it'll be hard to make him change his mind.

The power of fake news.

Fake news and gullible people!

The power of fake news.

Not really. He's aware that a lot of it is rubbish. But he's also aware that some people have experienced side effects, and was it Norway where some people died after the jab?

He knows he's in a very high risk health category. What he doesn't know is what the stats are for people in his situation who get vaccinated.

If I we're getting up every day with the knowledge that my time on earth was winding down, I'd want a hell of a lot of stats before I got vaccinated, either.

Fake news and gullible people!

Bit harsh, tbh. There's a difference between being gullible, and not having enough knowledge of medical terms to understand what you're being told - particularly when you're not being given enough information to reassure you - and the information you can understand is supposedly being given by a medical professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I suppose like a lot of things when it comes to reviews, more people would post their negative experiences than positive.
    And then if you see a list with 500 good reviews and 1 negative review, which is it people tend to focus on?
    I know comparing tripadvisor to this is strange but I'm sure you get my meaning.
    I would say get a medical opinion in person instead of people online, whether they claim to be doctors or not. Think I read some medications prevent taking the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

I got my 2nd Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Bar a sore arm, I've had no side effects. Of the people I know who've had the vaccine nobody has suffered severe side effects. Your husband should probably talk to his GP or pharmacist if you can persuade him, they might be able to help with his fears

• Advertisement

Bit harsh, tbh. There's a difference between being gullible, and not having enough knowledge of medical terms to understand what you're being told - particularly when you're not being given enough information to reassure you - and the information you can understand is supposedly being given by a medical professional.
    If you don't understand it, do your own research on the matter, don't expect everything to be handed on a plate to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

muffler wrote: »
    I've been keeping 2 previous posts (here and here) up to date with the daily announcements of new confirmed cases. They're both the same but just different layouts or formats. Anyhow you have to go back to Sept 15 to get a figure below 5.

Id like to think or rather hope that the numbers coming in over the coming days and weeks will remain as low but past figures would suggest lots of mini local spikes.

Hi Muffler,

Very good record keeping there. Am I right in saying these are "how many people tested positive" records? Does anyone know of any places where you can get more granular data? Things like ages of the people and death rate? And things like how how many people in 2017, 2018 & 2019 that died from Cancer, Heart attacks etc? I have a brother in law who is very skeptical about the whole thing and I'd like some real facts to show him - as in his words everything is fake news. He is claiming that deaths rates from cancer are down 40% in Ireland compare to last year, heart attacks down 60% and then saying have we now got some magic cure for these sicknesses... Anyone got any simple to follow links that I can back up my claims with that this is not some made up media story (I'm pulling my hair out!!!).

WM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

My husband, who is higher risk than I am, is not an anti vaxxer, but is concerned at some of the posts he reads on social media, so, he's more hesitant than I am.

I'm sure he's not the only one - therefore surely it's a good idea to replace misinformation with actual stats, no?

Statistics aren’t very effective at countering that sort of misinformation. It appeals to our emotions, which are much more powerful than logic no matter how rational you think you are.

The most effective way to deal with vaccine hesitancy is to first acknowledge, like you have done, that it is not the same as being anti vax. It is natural to be cautious about anything new. Then to discuss his fears with someone he knows and trusts. His GP or pharmacist can explain how these vaccines have been produced so quickly and what the rates of side effects are.

There isn’t a lot of data yet on effects in particular medical conditions but for all the more common conditions there are now millions of people vaccinated across Europe, the US and Britain with no indications of serious consequences. This is what he needs to hear directly. Fortunately, we still pay more attention to real people we know than to random strangers on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The problem with social media is that sane level headed people typically don't feel the need to comment under random news articles and argue with idiots so everything turns into a one sided echo chamber of misinformation.

Just read any comments that get posted on e.g. Highland Radio covid posts on Facebook, it's mostly brain-dead nonsense but nobody really counters it so gives the impression the general public are all onboard with the nonsense

The problem with social media is that sane level headed people typically don't feel the need to comment under random news articles and argue with idiots so everything turns into a one sided echo chamber of misinformation.

Just read any comments that get posted on e.g. Highland Radio covid posts on Facebook, it's mostly brain-dead nonsense but nobody really counters it so gives the impression the general public are all onboard with the nonsense

Just like Water-Man's bother in law, you could argue with them till your blue in the face and still get nowhere, better leave them alone, even better, block them so you don't see their crap anymore.

water-man wrote: »
    Am I right in saying these are "how many people tested positive" records?
    Yes, those are the daily number of confirmed positive cases in Donegal announced by the Dept Health.

water-man wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any places where you can get more granular data? Things like ages of the people and death rate? And things like how how many people in 2017, 2018 & 2019 that died from Cancer, Heart attacks etc?
    Not sure on this one. Maybe try the CSO

Did anyone hear the news this morning on the GH 9 til noon show that the numbers being reported as being in hospital now are only those patients who are classed as infectious?

So there will be a drop all over the country in numbers now, despite people being in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Vaccine doses brought to Arranmore today by the Air Corps - the one news place covering it mentions 200 between Arranmore and the Aran Islands so that might just be the >85s still - bit costly if they need to do this every few weeks as they work down the groups, for the tiny numbers involved they should have done all the >70s on each island in two visits each.

https://www.facebook.com/arainnmhor/photos/pcb.10158767727196936/10158767717571936

If you don't understand it, do your own research on the matter, don't expect everything to be handed on a plate to you.

I've done my research, thanks - and I don't expect anything to be handed to me on a plate - my problem is that my husband is afraid of the vaccine, since he has several health conditions, and I'm trying to find extra information to reassure him about their safety with regard to his specific (multiple) conditions.

That particular information isn't exactly readily available...

I've already stated that I'm more than happy to take the vaccine myself.

• Advertisement

I've done my research, thanks - and I don't expect anything to be handed to me on a plate - my problem is that my husband is afraid of the vaccine, since he has several health conditions, and I'm trying to find extra information to reassure him about their safety with regard to his specific (multiple) conditions.

That particular information isn't exactly readily available...

I've already stated that I'm more than happy to take the vaccine myself.

Would the easiest answer not be for him to chat to his doctor, who knows his conditions and can reassure him?

Advertisement