Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

I've done my research, thanks - and I don't expect anything to be handed to me on a plate - my problem is that my husband is afraid of the vaccine, since he has several health conditions, and I'm trying to find extra information to reassure him about their safety with regard to his specific (multiple) conditions.

That particular information isn't exactly readily available...

I've already stated that I'm more than happy to take the vaccine myself.

I also look on it like this, that anyone who is anti vax, if they ever got covid and got really sick with it , they are sent to hospital, surely they are going to be given all sorts of drugs to make them better again, so one more drug in the first place could prevent that happening in the first place.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Would the easiest answer not be for him to chat to his doctor, who knows his conditions and can reassure him?

It would, if the doctor knew the answers. All I'm getting is general vaccine safety and efficacy stats.
    I can find those myself in 5 minutes flat.
    I get that the doctor is busy, and in fairness, doesn't have time to do research for information that may, or may not yet be available for just one patient - but, damn it would be nice if more than general stats would be publicly released, as more information becomes available.
    That way, those of us who have to try and help loved ones with complex problems could at least do our own research, present it to the doctor, and then ask his advice.

slimboyfat wrote: »
    I also look on it like this, that anyone who is anti vax, if they ever got covid and got really sick with it , they are sent to hospital, surely they are going to be given all sorts of drugs to make them better again, so one more drug in the first place could prevent that happening in the first place.

I'm not anti vax - I'd grab a vaccine in the morning if I could get it.

My husband is not anti vax either - but when he hears that those rare cases who experienced severe reactions had "underlying health conditions" - and he has a ton of them - how do you expect him to react?

He has questions. Reasonable questions. He's not getting any answers.
    He's as anxious as I am to get back to something approaching normal life - but neither is he willing to be one of the few people who suffer severe adverse reactions, and the truth is, he's in the highest risk category...

So, again, more information, as it becomes available, would be really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

It would, if the doctor knew the answers. All I'm getting is general vaccine safety and efficacy stats.
    I can find those myself in 5 minutes flat.
    I get that the doctor is busy, and in fairness, doesn't have time to do research for information that may, or may not yet be available for just one patient - but, damn it would be nice if more than general stats would be publicly released, as more information becomes available.
    That way, those of us who have to try and help loved ones with complex problems could at least do our own research, present it to the doctor, and then ask his advice.

There won't be information available yet on underlying health conditions because the vaccine is too new, and these things take time. They don't release information on individuals with health conditions, the data for a group of people with the same condition would have to be gathered and analysed before release.
    Are there other vaccines your husband is unable to take or has he suffered a previous severe reaction to a vaccine that makes him so wary about covid vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah as said it's likely because the info isn't there for people with conditions similar to your husband.

Sure have they made a final call on pregnant women yet? Or diabetics? I know they were slow at releasing details for those and they would be more common occurrences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have 2 members of the wider extended family who have reservations about the vaccine. One is always wary about any drug so their concerns are not surprising. The other has certain medical issues and wishes to do a lot more research on the vaccine and the various types that will be available before committing. As said above there is little or no information available yet.

Moragle wrote: »
    There won't be information available yet on underlying health conditions because the vaccine is too new, and these things take time. They don't release information on individuals with health conditions, the data for a group of people with the same condition would have to be gathered and analysed before release.
    Are there other vaccines your husband is unable to take or has he suffered a previous severe reaction to a vaccine that makes him so wary about covid vaccines?

He has no previous reactions to a vaccine, but has had allergic reactions to medication in the past.

So, I suppose we're stuck in a catch 22 situation. Does he wait until further info is available, or risk getting covid?

For me, I'd lean toward thinking that he's unlikely to survive covid, so vaccination would be the way to go.

Unfortunately, I don't think he sees it that way.
    I think we're going to end up trying to avoid covid for quite some time... and I've no idea which vaccine I'll be offered when my turn comes, or how that will affect living with an unvaccinated vulnerable person. (ie: How effective are the different vaccines at preventing transmission)

Lots of research - no real answers..

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

I see it it as simple as this, if they get covid ( persons with underlying health conditions )

1 - With the vaccine, it could save their life.

2 - Without the vaccine, they may nor survive.

IMO better to take the chance with the vaccine than go without, it may be a gamble but a gamble I would be willing to take if I was that person.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah as said it's likely because the info isn't there for people with conditions similar to your husband.

Sure have they made a final call on pregnant women yet? Or diabetics? I know they were slow at releasing details for those and they would be more common occurrences.

Any vaccine available for administration to folk with a condition is approved for use for the condition.

I'd not be second guessing the EMA etc tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I've no idea which vaccine I'll be offered when my turn comes, or how that will affect living with an unvaccinated vulnerable person. (ie: How effective are the different vaccines at preventing transmission)

Lots of research - no real answers..

If you are over 70 you will be offered the Pfizer vaccine via your GP. Under 70’s will get Astra Zeneca or one of the others awaiting approval.

None of the vaccines make any claim to prevent transmission. That isn’t what vaccines do. They won’t work until you are exposed to the virus which then stimulates your own immune system. This prevents the virus from replicating in your body and causing disease. You can still pass it on to someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

0 cases today!

IrishZeus wrote: »
    0 cases today!
    You have to go back to 7 September to see the same. We have done well to come down from a high of 339 on 2 January but I think it goes without saying that we will see a lot more new cases and deaths sadly over the coming months. Hopefully the numbers will be low and that we dont end up being headline news like what happened in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Do they release vaccination figures by county or just country?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Do they release vaccination figures by county or just country?
    I havent seen them myself but maybe they are available. I doubt if they would be published though as there would be a lot of angry people in certain counties not least Donegal when we could possibly see the East coast getting more than the rural counties proportionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the helicopter flew over my house at about 100 feet last week delivering vaccines to arranmore !!!

Daily numbers seem to be all over the place. Zero yesterday and 23 today. On the 14 day incidence rate we are currently in 9th position overall but its only a week ago that we were in 18th position which was much more acceptable.

Whats happening around the county and how are people behaving or misbehaving?

Apparently a shabeen has been found in Burnfoot according to Highland Radio.

A recent funeral in an East Donegal town was one of the biggest seen for a number of years. Chapel was packed and the priest welcomed everyone :eek:

The Gardai have detected a pub serving customers in another East Donegal town and in the same town a hairdressers premises was discovered to be in full swing so to speak.

A fairly high profile licenced premises in the twin towns was also found to be serving customers.

Greed is an awful thing not to mention all the health risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Clusters in buncrana. Teenagers partying.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

Teenagers partying.

It's not only teenagers partying. Last week, there was an 80th birthday party near me. There was about 20 at it, the majority of whom were over 75.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

JoannieG wrote: »
    It's not only teenagers partying. Last week, there was an 80th birthday party near me. There was about 20 at it, the majority of whom were over 75.
    Absolutely, although I'm referring to a confirmed outbreak of positive cases among the younger cohort

• Advertisement

a certain building site near me reopened this week.

shop fitting going on as well

increase in traffic this week as well but thats most likely schools i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

JoannieG wrote: »

Are they vaccinated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

a certain building site near me reopened this week.

shop fitting going on as well

increase in traffic this week as well but thats most likely schools i guess

Construction being shut in the first place was mad - better to have sites going than have all tradesmen doing nixers in peoples houses.

As for house parties and shebeens - not surprising when you deny people any social outlets for months. Looking like not even outdoor dining until May or even later.

Obviously in a different county but this guy posted yesterday that he had 2 off duty guards doing tiling work for him. Would you be surprised though?

muffler wrote: »
    Obviously in a different county but this guy posted yesterday that he had 2 off duty guards doing tiling work for him. Would you be surprised though?

At some point we have to act like adults and take responsibility for our own actions. That means having the freedom to live our lives and choose (if we wish) to put ourselves at risk. If the guards and the guy paying them are both happy to accept the (potential) risk of contracting the virus, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

So are tradesmen not meant to be working at all? As in if you needed a plumber you cant get one?

mutley18 wrote: »
    So are tradesmen not meant to be working at all? As in if you needed a plumber you cant get one?
    Anything that is classed as essential is fine so getting a plumber to fix a leaking radiator or broken heating system would be okay.

mutley18 wrote: »

all in the level 5 guidlines
    supply and delivery of essential or emergency maintenance and repair services to businesses and places of residence (including electrical, gas, oil, plumbing, glazing and roofing services) on an emergency call-out basis

timmyntc wrote: »
    At some point we have to act like adults and take responsibility for our own actions
    Couldnt agree more.

timmyntc wrote: »
    That means having the freedom to live our lives and choose (if we wish) to put ourselves at risk.
    Not wanting to sound harsh but thats fine if you want to put your own life at risk, no skin of my nose as they say. But did it sink in yet that we are living with a deadly pandemic and that your actions could possibly result in the deaths of family, friends and neighbours.

Maybe rewind to the first part of your post where you suggested acting like an adult and behave accordingly.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more.

Not wanting to sound harsh but thats fine if you want to put your own life at risk, no skin of my nose as they say. But did it sink in yet that we are living with a deadly pandemic and that your actions could possibly result in the deaths of family, friends and neighbours.

Maybe rewind to the first part of your post where you suggested acting like an adult and behave accordingly.

With vaccinations available for those most at risk (and the option to cocoon so as to keep yourself safe), those who would be at risk can minimise the risk to themselves. For anyone else, no skin off their nose. It's the younger people who will have to pay back the majority share of the debt we are (still) taking on to keep the economy on life support.
    So if they want to do a bit of work or see some friends, I wouldnt begrudge them.

Advertisement