Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i do like the fact that supervalu sent me an email promoting a magnum of prosecco, that wont encourage gatherings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Are they vaccinated ?
    Some might have got a first injection but none have their second injection so aren’t fully vaccinated.

It is also important to remember that vaccination isn’t a passport to party. No vaccine gives 100% protection and it may not prevent transmission so until a large proportion of the population is vaccinated everyone should continue to follow public health advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

echo beach wrote: »
    Some might have got a first injection but none have their second injection so aren’t fully vaccinated.

It is also important to remember that vaccination isn’t a passport to party. No vaccine gives 100% protection and it may not prevent transmission so until a large proportion of the population is vaccinated everyone should continue to follow public health advice.

Not to mention the risk of mutations.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Are they vaccinated ?

Can't say with any certainty but based on how the vaccine roll-out is going around here, I'd say that most were not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

timmyntc wrote: »
    With vaccinations available for those most at risk (and the option to cocoon so as to keep yourself safe), those who would be at risk can minimise the risk to themselves. For anyone else, no skin off their nose. It's the younger people who will have to pay back the majority share of the debt we are (still) taking on to keep the economy on life support.
    So if they want to do a bit of work or see some friends, I wouldnt begrudge them.

I`ve had the virus(I am 60+) but just because you`re younger does`nt mean you can`t contract it.Three of my younger work colleagues have had it and were very ill,it really knocks the stuffing out of you and the effects linger for quite some time.I`d say sticking to government advice is the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I dont doubt that - however that stats would point to those people being in the minority. Majority of younger people will be fine and not even need hospitalised. The problem with the government advice is it's overly strict (strictest in the world). Many local businesses will not survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

67 new cases notified today. :(

The last time we had more cases than that was 21 January. So in one way we are no further forward than we were 2 months ago despite the sacrifices made by a lot of people. I hope the people who didnt "do their bit" are proud of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

muffler wrote: »

The last time we had more cases than that was 21 January. So in one way we are no further forward than we were 2 months ago despite the sacrifices made by a lot of people. I hope the people who didnt "do their bit" are proud of themselves.
    Any word if they're concentrated in an area/location, or widespread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MarshmallowPop

I was in the hospital over the weekend and they mentioned that there is only 1 person in ICU with Covid in LUH at the minute.

Hopefully the figure stays low.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

I think the people "not doing their bit" will not give a ****e. It's soul destroying for those of us that do. No further forward after another 2 months of bloody misery.
    Well over a year down the line, we all know the score yet nothings changed.
    I run my other half to and from work most days at the same time am and pm.
    Over the last 2-3 weeks especially, we have noticed more and more cars on the roads and comment on how this will compromise reducing the virus numbers and now we are seeing this in the daily cases. Usually a "Glass half full" kind of person, I see no end to this and it's so depressing!!!:(

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Any word if they're concentrated in an area/location, or widespread?
    South Inishowen was mentioned earlier in the week and I think the Milford EA also had higher numbers ... open to correction on the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

unfortunately there will be no let up in these numbers until we ramp up the vaccination programme. Lots of people seemingly cannot be arsed. The only people who follow the restriction rules are those who wish to.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

I do believe they are safe. (Although I'd still like more info).
    Which is precisely why I'm more than happy to be vaccinated.

My husband, who is higher risk than I am, is not an anti vaxxer, but is concerned at some of the posts he reads on social media, so, he's more hesitant than I am.

I'm sure he's not the only one - therefore surely it's a good idea to replace misinformation with actual stats, no?

There were many I could have replied to but I just chose this one.

I've had both jabs now, the pfizer one. First one, sore arm the day after. Second one, felt 'grotty' and achy for a couple of days.

Approx 60 of my colleagues have reported the same and none have reported having two sets of side effects, just after either the first or the second.

Approx another 60 have had the first dose of the AZ jab. About half of them reported have a couple of days feeling cráp.

Around five of my colleagues have been unlucky enough to catch covid with one of them landing in ICU for 3 weeks. Each and every one of them have said that they'd take 100 days for side effects than covid again.

It's a small sample but it is real lived experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Hubby who is a front line worker got the az vaccine a few weeks ago. He was fine the rest of the day but the next day he had a splitting headache was freezing cold and was all aches and pains

This only lasted a day and he was back to normal the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lulu1 wrote: »
    Hubby who is a front line worker got the az vaccine a few weeks ago. He was fine the rest of the day but the next day he had a splitting headache was freezing cold and was all aches and pains

This only lasted a day and he was back to normal the next day

heard that from a couple of people my boss in newcastle had the same last friday

I wont say where but Im aware of a creche that has had to close. 8 children and 3 staff tested positive. It appears that the transmission came from one child who picked it up at home from an older sibling who in turn was infected at national school.

Im also aware of a family of 6 who all tested positive last week and the man of the house was seen returning home with shopping this morning! God knows how may others he may have transmitted the virus to while in the shop or shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

I wont say where but Im aware of a creche that has had to close. 8 children and 3 staff tested positive. It appears that the transmission came from one child who picked it up at home from an older sibling who in turn was infected at national school.

Im also aware of a family of 6 who all tested positive last week and the man of the house was seen returning home with shopping this morning! God knows how may others he may have transmitted the virus to while in the shop or shops.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I don't think its fair to blame anyone at this stage to be fair (bar the tiny minority who really do take the piss), I know quite a few people who've tested positive, many of which have unknowingly passed it on to other people and for the most part they're just regular people doing their bit as much as the next person.

After a full year of misery many people have hit their limit and really I don't blame people for the odd 'slip' at this stage. I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home but I'm mentally exhausted and beyond the point of passing judgement on others

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fully agree.

It's hard for people to do the difficult things and still see no reward. Remember when Donegal was locked down separately from other counties? We were really bad.

Then people really make the effort and get the numbers down to low levels. I think what causes them to go back up again is just tiredness, exhaustion of the never ending effort that's needed. It is easy to make the odd mistake.

The bottom line is all this is the lack of a vaccine roll out. Look at the UK figures now. They have really low death figures now, simply because they have so many vaccinated. If we could have got our act together, Ireland would be the same. Instead we are arsing around, and being led around by the nose by the eu, and that is why we are all in a mess in Europe. Boris has shown them up, after he made a balls of the crisis initially.

The AZ debacle hasn't helped either, and already many people are refusing to get vaccinated for fear of it, when there was no issue in the 1st place. 4 clots out of 70,000,000 jabs given worldwide. Absolute hames they made of it.

tl/dr, bottom line, you can ask people to behave all you want, but until we get most of the population vaccinated, nothing is going to change.

If he had clean hands, wore a mask and touched nothing but the stuff he bought he likely infected no one.

Infected folk have been in shops since March 2020.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    .............If we could have got our act together, Ireland would be the same. Instead we are arsing around, and being led around by the nose by the eu, and that is why we are all in a mess in Europe. Boris has shown them up, after he made a balls of the crisis initially. ..............

There's no practical alternative, we'll lag the UK a bit but we will get there. We'll all going well have enough vaccine for 3m people by the end of June.

Augeo wrote: »
    We'll all going well have enough vaccine for 3m people by the end of June.

I'll take that bet.

If he had clean hands, wore a mask and touched nothing but the stuff he bought he likely infected no one.

Infected folk have been in shops since March 2020.
    People who have tested positive are required to self isolate. Wearing a mask and having clean hands counts for nothing when you are in a shop as there are so many other scenarios whereby the virus can be passed on to others.

We'll all going well have enough vaccine for 3m people by the end of June.
    At the current rate its going to take close on 2 years to have the entire population fully vaccinated.

Big numbers again today, 2nd behind Dublin.

I hope to god the schools will reopen after Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

At the current rate its going to take close on 2 years to have the entire population fully vaccinated.

This guy explains why he thinks that 86% of the population will be fully vaccinated by the end of June.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/ma2y3h/why_the_vaccination_situation_isnt_as_bad_as_it/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Technique wrote: »
    This guy explains why he thinks that 86% of the population will be fully vaccinated by the end of June.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/ma2y3h/why_the_vaccination_situation_isnt_as_bad_as_it/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

The big ramp ups in production have been promised since back in January - they said production would already be ramped up a good bit by now, and by April, moreso by May etc.

What we are seeing is continued supply issues and failure to hit vaccine targets - so I'd be very surprised if we hit that target for end of June

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Well if you've ever lived or worked in the UK, you might be sorted quicker.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40248185.html

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

NIMAN wrote: »
    The bottom line is all this is the lack of a vaccine roll out. Look at the UK figures now. They have really low death figures now, simply because they have so many vaccinated. If we could have got our act together, Ireland would be the same. Instead we are arsing around, and being led around by the nose by the eu, and that is why we are all in a mess in Europe. Boris has shown them up, after he made a balls of the crisis initially.

I don't know why you're holding the UK up as a bastion of doing things right let alone giving the PM the credit.

He dropped the ball, multiple times. He ignored the science time after time. He said that the roadmap out of this current would be based upon data, not dates then proceeded to give dates.

The reason that the UK numbers are looking better is because of some brave moves by the vaccine task force last year. They took a chance and threw money at pharmaceutical companies and it has worked out brilliantly.

But lets not kid ourselves, we still have ~5k positive cases per day and that seems to have levelled off more recently. We had over 500 deaths in the past week.

• Advertisement

On the 14 day incidence rate we are currently in 9th position overall but its only a week ago that we were in 18th position which was much more acceptable.
    I posted the above on 10 March so with another 57 new cases confirmed today we have gone from 18th place to second place (14 day incidence rate) in the space of 3 weeks.

People in other counties appear to be better behaved

Advertisement