Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

It appears so, schools opening would seem to have a lot to do with our cases, I have heard anecdotally of many cases locally from schools and creches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

It appears so, schools opening would seem to have a lot to do with our cases, I have heard anecdotally of many cases locally from schools and creches.

Shussh! You'll get in trouble mentioning schools. That's against the narrative.

Sure there's a 'mass' testing program going on in schools, a couple here and a couple there. Nothing to worry about this, the new variant is not what as it's made out to be. It'll be grand on April 12 when over a million children will be packed into primary and post primary. All according to Frau Foley and her zealots.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

muffler wrote: »
    I posted the above on 10 March so with another 57 new cases confirmed today we have gone from 18th place to second place (14 day incidence rate) in the space of 3 weeks.

People in other counties appear to be better behaved

People in Donegal just don't give a sh*t, they are doing what they want and then when it all goes wrong, they just go and blame someone else for their own failings to follow the guidelines 
    As for schools, its not starting in schools but its been taken from households who again are not following the guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

slimboyfat wrote: »
    People in Donegal just don't give a sh*t, they are doing what they want and then when it all goes wrong, they just go and blame someone else for their own failings to follow the guidelines 
    As for schools, its not starting in schools but its been taken from households who again are not following the guidelines

Clearly not everyone in donegal when the glenties LEA is lowest in the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Moragle wrote: »
    Clearly not everyone in donegal when the glenties LEA is lowest in the country

donegal LEA is down to 45 per 100,00, crazy split between the west and east of the county

we need to block barnesmore gap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

That doesn’t explain how other counties where the schools are also open have much lower cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Its not just donegal, im in dublin and i dont give a **** either. Thousands more are the same, i live next to a park that has had hundreds in it socializing, playing picnicing etc for weeks now whenever the sun is out.
    People are fed up of a year of hearing "the next 2 weeks are crucial" and " need to keep r numbers low" etc. I'll be heading back up the road on thursday for easter, havent seen family since before xmas. My parents are both 'essential workers' and are already meeting countless people every day and travelling all over the county/ country. We'll take our chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

retalivity wrote: »
    Its not just donegal, im in dublin and i dont give a **** either. Thousands more are the same, i live next to a park that has had hundreds in it socializing, playing picnicing etc for weeks now whenever the sun is out.
    People are fed up of a year of hearing "the next 2 weeks are crucial" and " need to keep r numbers low" etc. I'll be heading back up the road on thursday for easter, havent seen family since before xmas. My parents are both 'essential workers' and are already meeting countless people every day and travelling all over the county/ country. We'll take our chances.

well that just says it all but the thing is its not just your own lives you are gambling with its other peoples too

lulu1 wrote: »
    well that just says it all but the thing is its not just your own lives you are gambling with its other peoples too

You can call me selfish or whatever but again, i dont care anymore. A year of this rubbish has left me totally disillusioned. Thousands have already died from covid, thousands more have died indirectly because of covid restrictions, i know more people affected by the reduction in cancer and mental health services than those who have had covid. More than half the country are already 'breaking' the restrictions through work, school, 'emergencies' or whatever. The lockdown doesnt work anymore and here we are a year later still trying it, while making a balls of the vaccine rollout. Open everything up with necessary precautions (masks, limit numbers, etc.), allow people to return to some normality. And if others want to remain at home and limit contacts, and be extra safe, then have at it.

• Advertisement

Thousands have already died from covid

With an attitude like yours and your family, I can understand why.

...... The lockdown doesnt work anymore and here we are a year later still trying it, while making a balls of the vaccine rollout.....

Of course lockdown works, look at the numbers compared to January.

The vaccine roll-out is going well, doses received are administered. It's not perfect but we don't have much if any unadministered vaccines.

With an attitude like yours and your family, I can understand why.

And yet none of us have had Covid in that time, nor are aware of any close contacts who have/had it or died from it. The only people I know who had it were mainly ones who were cooped up for most of the week or calling the guards if they saw people on the beach, and the only person I know that died of it was a neighbour's relative in Galway.
    Then again, correlation does not imply causation, but sure you already know that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

And yet none of us have had Covid in that time, nor are aware of any close contacts who have/had it or died from it. The only people I know who had it were mainly ones who were cooped up for most of the week or calling the guards if they saw people on the beach, and the only person I know that died of it was a neighbour's relative in Galway.
    Then again, correlation does not imply causation, but sure you already know that...

I the protagonist of reality am unaffected so everything must be okay for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

You could have had the virus and been asymptomatic. I have lost friends and relatives to Covid, and know a lot of people who contracted it, including my brother who is a front line worker. He had no choice but to go to work every day and deal with ill people. Despite all the precautions he took, he still got Covid. Fortunately, he recovered but the spectre of Long Covid is still with him.

Fine, if you want to take the risk and expose yourself to infection, but please spare a thought for those who will have to deal with you when you get sick. They have families too.

I'm livid! I was outside my house a few minutes ago when a jeep with a man, woman, and a few kids pulled up. They asked for directions to a local beauty spot. The place they were looking for is 11k from my house, so I reminded them that we're in lock-down and should not be outside our 5k limit. The woman told me she lived locally but she doesn't, she lives in Letterkenny, 20k from here. Her husband is the vice-principal of a secondary school. So much for lockdown! If we can't trust people like him to lead by example, why should the rest of us bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Augeo wrote: »
    Of course lockdown works, look at the numbers compared to January.

Lockdown maybe works maybe does not, I'm no expert however this clip from Newstalk is very good, I suggest everyone listens to it. I for one am very fed up with lockdown. I want to see a map out at this stage. It is my strong opinion that lock down is doing more damage than good, I'm specifically talking peoples mental health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEfIJXb9_VE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭timmyntc

JoannieG wrote: »
    I'm livid! I was outside my house a few minutes ago when a jeep with a man, woman, and a few kids pulled up. They asked for directions to a local beauty spot. The place they were looking for is 11k from my house, so I reminded them that we're in lock-down and should not be outside our 5k limit. The woman told me she lived locally but she doesn't, she lives in Letterkenny, 20k from here. Her husband is the vice-principal of a secondary school. So much for lockdown! If we can't trust people like him to lead by example, why should the rest of us bother?

Would you rather everyone was bunched up in Letterkenny and spreading it there?

Going out to the country side or beaches etc should be encouraged - you arent going to contract or spread any viruses up the side of Errigal for gods sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭Nollog

timmyntc wrote: »

Going out to the country side or beaches etc should be encouraged - you arent going to contract or spread any viruses up the side of Errigal for gods sake
    What's the difference in all the people being in Letterkenny and being in Errigal?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    What's the difference in all the people being in Letterkenny and being in Errigal?

If families are allowed to go beyond the 5km to get some fresh air, thats actually less risk than staying within 5km in a more densely populated urban area.

Of all the things to get outraged over, a family driving out to the countryside is not it. Its a negligible risk to anyone.

• Advertisement

There's plenty of room within 5k of Letterkenny for people to exercise. And he wasn't up the side of Errigal. But my point is that, here is a man with responsibility for enforcing rules and regulations in his school (including Covid regulations) and he hasn't the moral fibre to obey them himself. I'm aware that he has disciplined pupils for breaking Covid rules, but in future any pupil in his school would be quite entitled to ignore him if he tried to make them conform. He can't have it every way.

There's plenty of room within 5k of Letterkenny for people to exercise. And he wasn't up the side of Errigal. But my point is that, here is a man with responsibility for enforcing rules and regulations in his school (including Covid regulations) and he hasn't the moral fibre to obey them himself. I'm aware that he has disciplined pupils for breaking Covid rules, but in future any pupil in his school would be quite entitled to ignore him if he tried to make them conform. He can't have it every way.

Some rules have merit like social distancing or mask wearing in school - others have no proven benefit and have no merit whatsoever - like the 5km travel limits.

if he got caught breaking the speed limit would any pupil in his school be just as entitled to ignore him and the school's rules?

Some rules have merit like social distancing or mask wearing in school - others have no proven benefit and have no merit whatsoever - like the 5km travel limits.

if he got caught breaking the speed limit would any pupil in his school be just as entitled to ignore him and the school's rules?

In your opinion. I believe the 5km rule has merits. I also believe that we can't go a la carte with the regulations. It has to be all or nothing, otherwise, what's the point? Each of us has a different view of what has value and what does not. You can't pick and choose which rules you'll obey and which you'll ignore.

As for him breaking the speed limit, well, he doesn't enforce that, but he does enforce Covid regulations.

In your opinion. I believe the 5km rule has merits. I also believe that we can't go a la carte with the regulations. It has to be all or nothing, otherwise, what's the point? Each of us has a different view of what has value and what does not. You can't pick and choose which rules you'll obey and which you'll ignore.

As for him breaking the speed limit, well, he doesn't enforce that, but he does enforce Covid regulations.

He doesnt enforce the 5km rule though does he? Unless he's principal and a guard.

"The point" of the regulations is to stop uncontrolled spread of the virus - the 5km rule does not do this, so its a worthless rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭firemansam4

So its looking like they may go from 5km to county wide instead.

A Guard on Highland radio the other day was saying that the 5km limit does not mean you can drive somewhere to exercise within the 5km.

I wonder how will county wide travel be enforced by the guards? Will they still tell people to turn around and go home if its not classed as essential travel in the car?

It is not your place nor mine to judge anyone else if the break the 5km rule, maybe they just need explore somewhere different for their own mental state rather than looking at the same thing they haven been looking at within their 5km for the past few months.
    I would be much more concerned if they were meeting other people, like family or friends, where the risk to spread or getting covid is a much bigger risk than going further than your 5km.

Looks like I have a very different view on the importance of the rule of law to many on this thread. Fair enough. We are all entitled to our views. I will continue to judge people who break the law. If others feel that breaking the law is ok, then so be it. We will just have to agree to differ.

Looks like I have a very different view on the importance of the rule of law to many on this thread. Fair enough. We are all entitled to our views. I will continue to judge people who break the law. If others feel that breaking the law is ok, then so be it. We will just have to agree to differ.

Aye but rules are there to be broken ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

"The point" of the regulations is to stop uncontrolled spread of the virus - the 5km rule does not do this, so its a worthless rule.
    Thats your opinion which you are entitled to and entitled to express here. The 5k limit is a rule and its the law and you or me have no control over the legal requirements other than abide by them.

It is not your place nor mine to judge anyone else if the break the 5km rule
    Yes it is everyones right to judge others who break the law. The 5km rule is legally there whether you agree with it or not and whether someone breaks covid laws or breaks into someones house then they break the law and we as law abiding citizens have every right to judge the perpetrators.

maybe they just need explore somewhere different for their own mental state rather than looking at the same thing they haven been looking at within their 5km for the past few months.
    Ridiculous comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Aye but rules are there to be broken ;)
    Please dont troll

Advertisement