Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When saw the report on highland this morning about ones already in holiday home being urged to go home, all I thought of was

tumblr_lz95369DLW1r4gei2o7_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lot of checkpoints on the borders today.

Muff, Bridgend, Lifford.

Probably trying to put the frighteners on people so that they stay in for the Easter weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Apparently they're doing that for the next 5 days.

If you have a letter from your employer stating that you're a key worker, they'll let you through.

I don't have one, but apparently my hospital name badge will do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

We’re based in Glenties. Local garage today mentioned a load of arrivals to Narin/Portnoo very late last night. Some people have no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

IrishZeus wrote: »
    We’re based in Glenties. Local garage today mentioned a load of arrivals to Narin/Portnoo very late last night. Some people have no sense.

Seen a couple of regular visitors yesterday, remarked to my neighbour who said they arrived during the night. Not that they have no sense, they just don't give a f--- about anyone but themselves.

• Advertisement

Seen a couple of regular visitors yesterday, remarked to my neighbour who said they arrived during the night. Not that they have no sense, they just don't give a f--- about anyone but themselves.

They should be chased to wherever they came from.

I know Irish people don't like the idea of grassing people up to the authorities but sometimes you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

As for the people who is coming to the holiday homes I dont think they are going to sit and look out a window for 4 days

lulu1 wrote: »
    As for the people who is coming to the holiday homes I dont think they are going to sit and look out a window for 4 days

Well there isn't much for them to do, is there?

Pubs and restaurants are closed.

Many are close to beaches. But some of the beaches are closed and others will be visited by guards over the next 5 days.

That really only leaves sitting in your holiday home drinking.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well there isn't much for them to do, is there?

Pubs and restaurants are closed.

Many are close to beaches. But some of the beaches are closed and others will be visited by guards over the next 5 days.

That really only leaves sitting in your holiday home drinking.

Thats what I mean why bother

Got stopped this morning heading to work. Didn't get asked for a letter but they saw that we were wearing staff ID.

Interestingly they were on the back roads too, we go to work via the road between Burt Chapel and Derry, over Sheriff's mountain.

Guards were at Bonnemayne crossroads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭md23040

Observation is that traffic at least 70%-80% down compared to same time a few days ago. Walked past a garda checkpoint and thanked the lads for doing a great job. On the way back heard them talking to drivers and they were very courteous and professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Shoulda got farmers to spray slurry everywhere there's a few holiday homes, and show it happening on TV, be more of a deterrent than a few checkpoints.

Firblog wrote: »
    Shoulda got farmers to spray slurry everywhere there's a few holiday homes, and show it happening on TV, be more of a deterrent than a few checkpoints.

I really think the guards should send them home there is no point having new laws if they are not going to enforce them.

A friend of ours died last week her daughter was going out yesterday to her grave only about a mile up the road . The guards turned her

It must be one rule for one and one for others

I really think the guards should send them home there is no point having new laws if they are not going to enforce them.

A friend of ours died last week her daughter was going out yesterday to her grave only about a mile up the road . The guards turned her

It must be one rule for one and one for others

The guards would send them home, if they knew they were heading to a holiday home, but I very much doubt the occupants of a car would openly tell the guards they were heading to spend Easter weekend at their holiday home.

And I would guess that technically a trip to a grave isn't an essential journey. Not in my mind anyway.

The guards would send them home, if they knew they were heading to a holiday home, but I very much doubt the occupants of a car would openly tell the guards they were heading to spend Easter weekend at their holiday home.

And I would guess that technically a trip to a grave isn't an essential journey. Not in my mind anyway.

What I mean is why can they not go to the holoday homes and ask them to leave they have the power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

What I mean is why can they not go to the holoday homes and ask them to leave they have the power

I don't think the powers include evicting them from the holiday homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Latest figures show 225 confirmed cases in Donegal. Bearing in mind the delay in getting results the real figure would be a lot higher

Heard on the rte news tonight that some numpty in Letterkenny damaged a 4g transmitter.

The social media stories linking 5g and coronavirus are obviously being taken as fact by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Heard on the rte news tonight that some numpty in Letterkenny damaged a 4g transmitter.

The social media stories linking 5g and coronavirus are obviously being taken as fact by some.

Considering the location of the fires, you know it was just vandalism.

Maldesu wrote: »
    Considering the location of the fires, you know it was just vandalism.

Just going by what I heard on the news and the nonsense I've been hearing by thick conspiracy theorists of late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Looking at the latest figures showing confirmed cases in the county up to Monday night last I see we are sitting in 6th position overall (nationally) with more cases than the likes of Limerick and Galway.

Here's the top 10.......

Dublin 5850
    Cork 829
    Kildare 509
    Meath 369
    Wicklow 342
    Donegal 296
    Limerick 285
    Westmeath 258
    Cavan 254
    Galway 237

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is it the border effect? Cavan would be higher there too in proportion to its population

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭md23040

muffler wrote: »
    Looking at the latest figures showing confirmed cases in the county up to Monday night last I see we are sitting in 6th position overall (nationally) with more cases than the likes of Limerick and Galway.

Here's the top 10.......

Dublin 5850
    Cork 829
    Kildare 509
    Meath 369
    Wicklow 342
    Donegal 296
    Limerick 285
    Westmeath 258
    Cavan 254
    Galway 237

Worrying stat considering Galway has 258,000 people and Limerick 195,000 compared to 159,000 in Donegal. To get into context Donegal has over twice the spread of the virus per 1000 compared to Galway. Cavan is off the chart and 363% greater.

The number of confirmed cases is totally under reported and know of someone that's a key worker that tested positive whilst the rest of the family of 5 were not tested but everyone got the infection. I'm sure everyone is aware of such cases at this stage.

Are there many nursing/carehome clusters in Donegal? I know of one near Raphoe with confirmed infections.

I wonder do they make up a small/large percentage of the cases here?

Chances are nursing home outbreaks won't make the numbers anyway as they won't test them.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Chances are nursing home outbreaks won't make the numbers anyway as they won't test them.

Ah I’d say they will definitely - a cluster is defined as minimum 3 people and average 4-5. Theres 200+ clusters identified in homes, so just wondering how many of these would be in Donegal.

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Ah I’d say they will definitely - a cluster is defined as minimum 3 people and average 4-5. Theres 200+ clusters identified in homes, so just wondering how many of these would be in Donegal.

Yes but if its the same as in Derry, they aren't testing these people, even if they're obviously Covid patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Yes but if its the same as in Derry, they aren't testing these people, even if they're obviously Covid patients.
    It isn't the same as Derry. The testing criteria in Donegal are much broader which is why there are more tests and, as a result, more confirmed cases. The more you test the more cases you find.

The UK is doing far less testing than other counties. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104645/covid19-testing-rate-select-countries-worldwide/

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ralphyroo

Numbers in letterkenny hospital down from 37 to 34 and only 2 in ICU with 7 vacant beds. Hopefully a sign that things are starting to improve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Ralphyroo wrote: »
    Numbers in letterkenny hospital down from 37 to 34 and only 2 in ICU with 7 vacant beds. Hopefully a sign that things are starting to improve

Great news and hopefully continues.
    Most important thing now is that we keep the restrictions and distancing and don't get complacent and hopefully will be able to get a small bit of normality back in May.

Advertisement