Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on how to get rid of Cordylines

Options
  • 09-03-2020 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

When we bought our present house seven years ago there were several mature Cordylines growing in the back garden. We put in an extension and patio and as part of the job the builder was supposed to remove the Cordylines. He chopped the trees down and poured petrol on the stumps. He built the patio on top of the stumps he had 'treated' and when I queried this with him and with the architect they both assured me that the stumps were treated appropriately and building over the stumps was not an issue. Now I see cordyline leaves emerging at the side of the patio and several 'baby' ones are popping up elsewhere in the garden. I'm digging up the 'baby' cordylines but I need to know what will kill off the re-emerging older trees and also would they be strong enough to lift up the patio? Hopefully the extension will not be affected!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would just cut the leaves of the emerging shoots and immediately paint roundup on the cut stems.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I tried to dig out two Cordylines .... there was a long taproot and I gave up after about 3 ft down but they never grew back. Perhaps the smaller ones are seedlings? Be careful of Roundup = it is lethal stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Have to say I didn't think they where that tough. I've killed a few of them over the years. If using roundup leave the leaves and spray them. Bigger surface area. Also wait till it's a bit warmer. It works better when plant is growing

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Cordyline are tought old boots, when you saw mature plants killed off above ground after the hard winters of 2009 & 2010 and still came back strong from the root you know they have to be reckoned with.

Had 2 old but spindly enough cordyline to dig out of poor stoney soil at one stage and the best comparison I can think of is the bit of the iceberg above water hiding what lies below. Was a day job with pick axe etc.

I'd advise never to use petrol or diesel to poisin off anything as it will pollute the soil and all it touches, would question the attitude of any professional that would use or recommend such a practice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i dug out one of the roots years ago when we moved to this house. was like a three foot long parsnip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Georgetta1

Thanks a mil for the advice. I'll paint the leaves of the re-emerging plant (from under the patio) with roundup next month and dig up the plants that look like seedlings. Should I leave the leaves whole or cut them before I paint them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

The more leaf surface you can get the round up onto the better. I would paint on and leave for a week or two then cut . The should be dead by then

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Aboppy1

Cut the leaves. Roundup will get into the plant better if theres a wound on the leaf. Or mix a little bit of washing up liquid with the roundup helps it stick to the leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

Garlinge wrote: »
    I tried to dig out two Cordylines .... there was a long taproot and I gave up after about 3 ft down but they never grew back. Perhaps the smaller ones are seedlings? Be careful of Roundup = it is lethal stuff.

I'm not going to claim that it is perfectly safe, but I don't think you'll find a safer weedkiller than Glyphosphate (Roundup is leading brand).

Do you have an alternative recommendation?

Advertisement