Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

ge_ch wrote: »
    This years application form didn’t ask for employment history. Looks like they don’t care, solely based on questionnaire and interviews

They will send a more detailed one if you're called for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Daffodil in Spring

Do you think similar test scoring method and required level as TCO 2020, would be applied to the CO, to decide whether you have reached the level to be called for interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 The Wandering Man

If you get called for the next stage web interview do you have to send them over your cv in advance? Even in normal circumstances I assume you need to give the a CV like you would any job interview or is it different for clerical officer jobs?

Based on Stage 1, applicants are placed on an order of merit and will be called for interview in batches. The aptitude tests seem to have been left out of this competition, which saves on trips to Chapter House which should make the process quicker and less stressful for candidates. The online interview shouldn't be a problem. There is a standard application form which will issue, which is essentially your CV. They typically look for employment history for the last 5 years, but you can also include any other experience that you think is relevant to the position.

Clerical Officer interviews are fairly straight forward, keep the competencies in mind and use the opportunity to sell your skills/abilities.

Best of Luck to all and hopefully results will issue before the May Bank Holiday weekend.

ge_ch wrote: »
    This years application form didn’t ask for employment history. Looks like they don’t care, solely based on questionnaire and interviews

'Supplementary Application Form' is issued with publicjobs.ie notification for interview.
    These do not usually form part of TCO applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

Based on Stage 1, applicants are placed on an order of merit and will be called for interview in batches. The aptitude tests seem to have been left out of this competition, which saves on trips to Chapter House which should make the process quicker and less stressful for candidates. The online interview shouldn't be a problem. There is a standard application form which will issue, which is essentially your CV. They typically look for employment history for the last 5 years, but you can also include any other experience that you think is relevant to the position.

Clerical Officer interviews are fairly straight forward, keep the competencies in mind and use the opportunity to sell your skills/abilities.

Best of Luck to all and hopefully results will issue before the May Bank Holiday weekend.

Do you need to have your leaving cert/college results for the application as I wouldnt have a clue where mine are?

• Advertisement

It is no harm to put the results in the Education section if you have them to hand. The usual format of the form is:
    1. Contact Details
    2. Education (Second Level) - include year when certs awarded
    3. Education Third Level - include courses completed or years of course completed etc
    4. Other Training/Courses
    5. Career History
    6. Additional Information

It's sent out in Microsoft Word Format and you will need to type the form.

NB: If you sat your Leaving between 2006 and 2011, you can get cert free on examinations.ie/statement-of-results/
    You have to pay for other years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭shmeee

It is no harm to put the results in the Education section if you have them to hand. The usual format of the form is:
    1. Contact Details
    2. Education (Second Level) - include year when certs awarded
    3. Education Third Level - include courses completed or years of course completed etc
    4. Other Training/Courses
    5. Career History
    6. Additional Information

It's sent out in Microsoft Word Format and you will need to type the form.

NB: If you sat your Leaving between 2006 and 2011, you can get cert free on examinations.ie/statement-of-results/
    You have to pay for other years.

This was my PDF application form for the 2018 CO Campaign as attached.

To give people a rough idea of what they may look like.

*THIS IS NOT THE 2020 APPLICATION FORM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

shmeee wrote: »
    This was my PDF application form for the 2018 CO Campaign as attached.

To give people a rough idea of what they may look like.

*THIS IS NOT THE 2020 APPLICATION FORM

This form was included in all previous CO and TCO campaigns but until this year it was part of the initial application along with the page of your location choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Are they still taking applications for CO roles? Or how does on get on the waiting list? Best of luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 camki

Soulsun wrote: »
    Are they still taking applications for CO roles? Or how does on get on the waiting list? Best of luck to all.

You apply through publicjobs.ie, it's too late to apply for this one. Next one is likely to be 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

camki wrote: »
    You apply through publicjobs.ie, it's too late to apply for this one. Next one is likely to be 2022.

There could be an EO competition ran this winter though, so watch out for that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

camki wrote: »

I would think it's possible that there will be a recruitment campaign in 2021, despite all the upheaval of 'these unprecedented times'.

I think I saw that there was due to be more retirements from the Civil Service in 2021 than usual. because so many staff will reach retirement age that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

I would be surprised if another one ran in 2021. Panels usually last 2 years from inception. They generally only do one earlier if panels are exhausted which is only likely to happen with Dublin panels and in that instance they would run a Dublin only CO comp as they have previously. The last 4 nationwide CO campaigns have run in 2014, 2016,2018 and this one in 2020. Regional panels are rarely exhausted and usually expire with a good number left that havent been placed

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭weadick

Wonder when we might hear about the next stage of this comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭abbeybella

weadick wrote: »
    Wonder when we might hear about the next stage of this comp?

I emailed them and they replied that they hope to have results by April 30th so hopefully have them Thursday, Good Luck to everyone😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's annoying this was launched during the week Covid-19 was really kicking off in Ireland and cancellations and restrictions were being announced all over the place. I was completely distracted and didn't even know they were recruiting. I'd say many others who were interested in applying were caught napping as well (and I'd been keeping an eye out for info before then).

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭L390

Has anyone heard anything ???

abbeybella wrote: »
    I emailed them and they replied that they hope to have results by April 30th so hopefully have them Thursday, Good Luck to everyone��

Friday before a Bank Holiday a favourite of PAS for announcements!!

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's annoying this was launched during the week Covid-19 was really kicking off in Ireland and cancellations and restrictions were being announced all over the place. I was completely distracted and didn't even know they were recruiting. I'd say many others who were interested in applying were caught napping as well (and I'd been keeping an eye out for info before then).

It was announced in early March and there was an extension granted also for applications. Closing date was at the end of March

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Odonn777

Where was it announced about the extension? The questionnaire was out 26/03/2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

It was announced in early March and there was an extension granted also for applications. Closing date was at the end of March

the extension was for completion of the questionaire stage, not for new applications as far as I know.

I'd say a good few people like myself were caught napping and didn't even realise the competition had opened. It was very unfortunate timing with the virus outbreak.....had that not happened, I would have checked in on their website in time, there would have been no distractions.

the extension was for completion of the questionaire stage, not for new applications as far as I know.

What was the actual closing date? Was the competition window only open for a very short period?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mark37

Hi Folks, just a few questions regarding this, hopefully someone might have the answers...

1. Does anyone know how many applied for the FT Clerical Officers 2020 this time around?

2. If I applied and put down Cork as the region I wanted, does the results come out as national overall grading or will it come out as ranking with the Cork region? anyone know?

I would agree with everyone above, I cant see another recruitment campaign until 2022 (for full time anyways), I think the only one I ever saw before inside the 2 years was a recruitment campaign for the Dublin region only. Good luck everyone, hopefully the results will be out before this Friday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rubenski

Hi all,

Would anyone be kind enough to enlighten me on how this whole process plays out with regards to order of merit? I'm aware an OOM will be issued based on how one performed at the questionnaire stage. I am curious, though, if this OOM rating changes based on how one performs at interview stage, or is it just a pass/fail at interview and the OOM rating from questionnaire stage still applies?

Reading through the comments, people seem to have experienced different scenarios in the past - their OOM changed/didn't change, and I think this may have been related to the aptitude test (rather than interview) which has been omitted this time around.

Any definitive answers out there? Advice is most appreciated!!

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rubenski

Mark37 - You are ranked according to your county, therefore, you will only be 'competing' with those who placed Cork as their choice, not everyone nationwide who entered. When you receive your order of merit (OOM), it will be your ranking in Cork.

As to how many applied, I have no idea!

And yep, I agree as regards a campaign every 2 years. Panels apply for 2 years which is why they recruit every 2 years.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Gaffer78

Rubenski wrote: »
    Hi all,

Would anyone be kind enough to enlighten me on how this whole process plays out with regards to order of merit? I'm aware an OOM will be issued based on how one performed at the questionnaire stage. I am curious, though, if this OOM rating changes based on how one performs at interview stage, or is it just a pass/fail at interview and the OOM rating from questionnaire stage still applies?

Reading through the comments, people seem to have experienced different scenarios in the past - their OOM changed/didn't change, and I think this may have been related to the aptitude test (rather than interview) which has been omitted this time around.

Any definitive answers out there? Advice is most appreciated!!

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

The OOM from the questionnaire stage will determine who gets called to interview stage. Interview will then be either a pass or a fail and your original OOM will stay with you as you wait to be assigned. Thats my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Strazdas wrote: »
    What was the actual closing date? Was the competition window only open for a very short period?

It was 14 days until the 24 March. The questionaire however they only 3/4 days to complete so they gave a short extension for that stage.

It was 14 days until the 24 March. The questionaire however they only 3/4 days to complete so they gave a short extension for that stage.

Right, a fairly short window then.....I'd say a fair few people missed the boat and didn't realise they had advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 allysangel

It’s years since I applied for a CO post , they used to post out results then. Can anybody tell me will you be told ‘you placed x in OOM’ or do they just say that you were successful/unsuccessful in going forward to interview stage ?

Advertisement