Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Cindy20201 wrote: »
    Is it possible to apply for this and the Executive Officer position?

You can have multiple ongoing applications with publicjobs across all available roles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,800 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

On behalf of My cousin who is doing this comp

Can anyone outline the competition process please?

Online test

Interview over zoom

Then whats next does anyone know?

Anyone??

Anyone??

Assessment test which they have already done

Interview

Wait to be placed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,800 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Rikand wrote: »
    Assessment test which they have already done

Interview

Wait to be placed

Ah right ok thanks. So, you have to get an email with your placement following interview ?

Ah right ok thanks. So, you have to get an email with your placement following interview ?

Yep. Public jobs will probably notify them by email to inform them whether they have been successful or not in the interview and their position on the panel after that point for their chosen county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Hello,
    I've been offered a position of clerical officer in Dublin. I'm currently working for a bank in Dublin. What is the career progression like in the civil service. The money isn't too good so is it reasonable to expect a promotion every 3 years or so?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭L390

Hello,
    I've been offered a position of clerical officer in Dublin.
    Thanks
    Is this clerical officer position through public jobs ??

Hello,
    I've been offered a position of clerical officer in Dublin. I'm currently working for a bank in Dublin. What is the career progression like in the civil service. The money isn't too good so is it reasonable to expect a promotion every 3 years or so?
    Thanks

Never expect anything with the civil service except a guaranteed job and generally a good work life balance.

The only way to really gain promotion through the civil service is competitions. The one that you have applied through would be just like one such competition.
    Open/Interdepartmental/internal are the competitions you would be applying through. Open are available to everyone. Interdepartmental you can start applying for once you have been in the civil service for 2 years. Internal are probably only open once you have completed your organisations probation period (typically 1 year).

You get onto panels from each of those and depending on how you did at each stage, will depend on how high you are on the panels and how likely you are to get a promotion. Working as hard as you can may improve your chances on the Internal panels as I've seen in my own place, people who are well thought of in the organisation did well on one of our most recent competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

would the ratio of people applying for a internal job be less then a externally advertised one ? Ie would you have a better prospect of promotion once your a serving employee ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

would the ratio of people applying for a internal job be less then a externally advertised one ? Ie would you have a better prospect of promotion once your a serving employee ?

Positions are filled on the basis of 1/3 of each External, Internal and Mobility if I recall correctly, which I very well may not! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Calathea

I'm on Galway Panel and received message asking if I was interested in being put on a panel for Clifden. If I agree, I will be taken off general Galway panel. Has anyone else received similar message?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Guffy

Calathea wrote: »
    I'm on Galway Panel and received message asking if I was interested in being put on a panel for Clifden. If I agree, I will be taken off general Galway panel. Has anyone else received similar message?

Ya the same. I assume we can just ignore if not interested in clifden? It'd some commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

New competition opened last Friday

For EO. This one for CO has closed a while

• Site Banned Posts: 64 ✭✭Montageofhell

I know someone who's been offered an interview for this clerical officer role. They have to fill out some form with their experience. They want to know how thorough are the checks on past employment, they are filling in a gap or two with adding a couple of months to employment that was finished. For example, they worked in office A for a year, started in office B 3 months later, they've adjusted A to say they worked right up to when they started in B. Does anyone know about the checks they'll do for the civil service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I know someone who's been offered an interview for this clerical officer role. They have to fill out some form with their experience. They want to know how thorough are the checks on past employment, they are filling in a gap or two with adding a couple of months to employment that was finished. For example, they worked in office A for a year, started in office B 3 months later, they've adjusted A to say they worked right up to when they started in B. Does anyone know about the checks they'll do for the civil service?

Usually it's your last two employers are contacted. They can check others. They don't care about gaps in your employment like some private companies do, you're better off being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Guffy

GarIT wrote: »
    Usually it's your last two employers are contacted. They can check others. They don't care about gaps in your employment like some private companies do, you're better off being honest.

Just be able to explain it

Oh ok. I'll let them know, thanks. I'm sure the previous employers are only contacted if the job is offered and accepted?

Oh ok. I'll let them know, thanks. I'm sure the previous employers are only contacted if the job is offered and accepted?

No, it's before. Usually they tell you that you have a job if your references check out. PAS/the civil service can't revoke an offer like the private sector can.

Guffy wrote: »
    Just be able to explain it

The interviews are competency based and you are graded on your competencies. They don't care about your employment history other than how you use it for examples of the competencies.

No, it's before. Usually they tell you that you have a job if your references check out. PAS/the civil service can't revoke an offer like the private sector can.

I see, thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Cindy20201

Do you have to provide typed references or do they actually contact your past employer? I have noticed on past threads peopled stated that references usually are after the position has been offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭solidasarock

Do you have to provide typed references or do they actually contact your past employer? I have noticed on past threads peopled stated that references usually are after the position has been offered?

For me in 2019 I was offered a position in a Department and then the HR at the Department contacted my reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭shmeee

It was no more than a quick phone call confirming some details. Nothing major to be getting worried about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭youllbemine

I am interested in this job as civil servants do nothing but watch box sets all day

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

I am interested in this job as civil servants do nothing but watch box sets all day

Very true. They also send us free organic food and organise free foot massages as part of the Civil Service employee wellness programme. That TD Mac Sharry forgot to mention that. Maybe next week. He also spared the Department of Social Protection from his comments. Is that because they are in the frontline or could it be that they have a large national office (Pensions) in his constituency? Anyway I'm sure his opinion is well considered. Sur wasn't his Daddy a TD before him.

Time for my foot massage. Get your application in quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's got a lot better with the introduction of Boxsets, used to be that you didn't look out of the window of a morning lest you'd have nothing to do in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭furrybones

It's got a lot better with the introduction of Boxsets, used to be that you didn't look out of the window of a morning lest you'd have nothing to do in the afternoon.

Haha! Love it.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Divisadero wrote: »
    Very true. They also send us free organic food and organise free foot massages as part of the Civil Service employee wellness programme. That TD Mac Sharry forgot to mention that. Maybe next week. He also spared the Department of Social Protection from his comments. Is that because they are in the frontline or could it be that they have a large national office (Pensions) in his constituency? Anyway I'm sure his opinion is well considered. Sur wasn't his Daddy a TD before him.

Time for my foot massage. Get your application in quick.

I think people should give Mr Macsharry a break (6 weeks to be exact) the poor man has been working so hard 3 days a week since the 1st of July.

He made some good points about those lazy public servants and the loss of productivity. I mean the productivity of a T.D has been near zero for most of the year.

Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭furrybones

I think people should give Mr Macsharry a break (6 weeks to be exact) the poor man has been working so hard 3 days a week since the 1st of July.

He made some good points about those lazy public servants and the loss of productivity. I mean the productivity of a T.D has been near zero for most of the year.

Oh well.

The truth in that is quite sobering.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

Did ye complete that survey they sent out after the online assessment? Was it compulsory???

Advertisement