Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

A friend is 20's on the OOM for Cork.

Got an email from PAS for vacancies in Bantry:

Should you express an interest in the above position, you will no longer be considered for other vacancies in Co. Cork or in your other location choice that may arise throughout the course of this competition.

Therefore, we ask that only those candidates who are willing to work in the named location express their interest for these posts.

Can she refuse Bantry - living East of Cork city - and remain on the Co Cork panel?

(It would be a 1h30 commute each way on awful roads - on a good day.)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

blindsider wrote: »
    A friend is 20's on the OOM for Cork.

Got an email from PAS for vacancies in Bantry:

Should you express an interest in the above position, you will no longer be considered for other vacancies in Co. Cork or in your other location choice that may arise throughout the course of this competition.

Therefore, we ask that only those candidates who are willing to work in the named location express their interest for these posts.

Can she refuse Bantry - living East of Cork city - and remain on the Co Cork panel?

(It would be a 1h30 commute each way on awful roads - on a good day.)

Thats not an offer, they are looking for candidates to express an interest. If she doesn't thats fine, nothing changes for her

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tishe

I started a month ago and I was one of the last taken from the 2018 panel. Remember this is after a few weeks from receiving the offer to vetting, reference check and giving notice in my previous job.

In my section we had a new person start and they have been from the new 2020 panel.
    Its good in the present climate, what Department did you both get and in what County, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

I received an email saying I was successful in my interview and I would be contacted in the next few weeks to let me know where my post would be, that was at the end of July, I know the wheels move slowly, should I email them to see if they can update me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 murphy15

did they give you an oom after your interview, and yes its always good to be in contact for peace of mind anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Belle23

murphy15 wrote: »
    did they give you an oom after your interview, and yes its always good to be in contact for peace of mind anyway

Are they calling batches for certain counties?
    When I enquired about 1st choice, I was told if they have 1 vacancy then OOM1 is interviewed, if they are successful then for 2nd vacancy 00M2 is interviewed and so on and so forth.
    No calling 10 people for 1 job and re-working the OOM after interviews.

They have called 1 & 2 so far in my county up to last week.
    I'm number 3...

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭L390

What's the difference between Dublin and Co.Dublin in this competition as it didn't give me option to click Dublin just Co.Dublin ..its just someone said I'm not going to be placed in Dublin only in the outskirts of Co Dublin ...thanks

Sorry a lot of repetitive Dublins in that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Penny_pocket

Any here get the expression of interest for Revenue/customs in Dublin? I’m late 800’s and got it today. Wasn’t expecting to hear anything for a while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭beenhad

Sure did, I'm mid 600s. I've no b license or I'd jump on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭abbeybella

Any here get the expression of interest for Revenue/customs in Dublin? I’m late 800’s and got it today. Wasn’t expecting to hear anything for a while yet

Yes I got email too. Unfortunately I don't have a licence so can't go for it:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lass1

I got email but I am in 2 minds wether to go for it
    Not sure what to do 😒I’m late 600’s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,800 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Cousin still has heard nothing she was placed in the early 200s for dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Guffy

Passed 15 in Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Penny_pocket

I have a licence but I’m insure about it as I’m thinking it might involve shift work

I have a licence but I’m insure about it as I’m thinking it might involve shift work

I'd say it would alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Guffy wrote: »
    Passed 15 in Westmeath

Heard it was at 15 about 3 months ago too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭furrybones

Rikand wrote: »
    Heard it was at 15 about 3 months ago too ?

The last update I got, and it was a couple of months ago, there was 1 placed in Offaly and 15 in Westmeath so I won't be holding my breath for a placement in the lifetime of this panel :rolleyes:

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dublin501

lass1 wrote: »
    I got email but I am in 2 minds wether to go for it
    Not sure what to do 😒I’m late 600’s

I am early 1000's and got the email for expression of interest for revenue commissioners. I would love it if I had a licence. Soo much more interesting than a desk job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Dublin501 wrote: »
    I am early 1000's and got the email for expression of interest for revenue commissioners. I would love it if I had a licence. Soo much more interesting than a desk job!

What does it involve that a licence is a requirement ? Travel or mobility of some description obviously but what exactly ? Accompanying Gardai at checkpoints ??

What does it involve that a licence is a requirement ? Travel or mobility of some description obviously but what exactly ? Accompanying Gardai at checkpoints ??

??? Good question

• Advertisement

??? Good question

I would imagine for working at ports? Anyone know

I would imagine for working at ports? Anyone know

Sis In law did it ..it was 4am starts and other early starts .....custom checks at ports ...she's now in office in revenue ...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

As a matter of interest, if I were to be offered a position, at what point should I be handing in my notice to my current employer? After garda vetting and reference checks? Would, for example 2 months notice once Garda Vetting and reference checks are done be acceptable to the Civil Service or would they try and nail down a start date once job offer has been accepted?

Also, when would they issue a contract? Would this be after garda vetting is completed too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I'm sure a starting date could be agreed with PAS once you've overcome all the hurdles

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

As a matter of interest, if I were to be offered a position, at what point should I be handing in my notice to my current employer? After garda vetting and reference checks? Would, for example 2 months notice once Garda Vetting and reference checks are done be acceptable to the Civil Service or would they try and nail down a start date once job offer has been accepted?

Also, when would they issue a contract? Would this be after garda vetting is completed too?

Do you have to give your employer 2 months notice? That seems like alot.

If thats what you require I would think they would faciliate it but the usual would two to four weeks notice of start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Icbaby

They gave me 6 weeks notice to start and I needed to give my job 4 weeks but their 6 weeks notice was before my vetting was back(on condition it returned ok). I’ve never been in trouble in my life but still was worried about handing in my notice knowing it could be revoked if my vetting didn’t pass. But it did come back before the 4 weeks notice was required for work. PAS are extremely helpful in explaining things when they offer you the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

A friend got this also.
    The problem is that if they offer you the position and you decline you're off the panel.
    Do you know what the salary scale is on this? Or where could I find it.
    It's hard to apply not knowing what you'll actually be doing or where you'll be located.

"Should you express an interest in the above position and/or attend for interview, you will no longer be considered for other vacancies that may arise throughout the course of the Clerical Officer 2020 competition and will only be considered for a CO Customs Officer role. However, should you be successful and your place on the panel not reached, your interview result will be carried over and your place reinstated on the Stage 1 Clerical Officer 2020 panel."

Is it a short term contract also?
    "What happens if the Brexit transition is extended?
    You will remain employed by Revenue for the duration of your contract."
    So are they saying that when Brexit negotiations are over, your contract ends?

Thanks for any help or answers to above.

Edit to say just found salary scale

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭newbie18892

I also got the expression of interest enquiry for revenue customs officers today. I'm around 1200 in the OOM for Dublin. I don't have a licence so can't take it but it does sound like an interesting role.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Icbaby

ellejay wrote: »
    A friend got this also.
    The problem is that if they offer you the position and you decline you're off the panel.
    Do you know what the salary scale is on this? Or where could I find it.
    It's hard to apply not knowing what you'll actually be doing or where you'll be located.

"Should you express an interest in the above position and/or attend for interview, you will no longer be considered for other vacancies that may arise throughout the course of the Clerical Officer 2020 competition and will only be considered for a CO Customs Officer role. However, should you be successful and your place on the panel not reached, your interview result will be carried over and your place reinstated on the Stage 1 Clerical Officer 2020 panel."

Is it a short term contract also?
    "What happens if the Brexit transition is extended?
    You will remain employed by Revenue for the duration of your contract."
    So are they saying that when Brexit negotiations are over, your contract ends?

Thanks for any help or answers to above.

Edit to say just found salary scale

No this isn’t a short term contract in that the panel is for permanent positions so you could be appointed in the positions (that they are advertising now) but if it is to do with Brexit and it finishes up you get moved to within the revenue not let go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Icbaby wrote: »
    No this isn’t a short term contract in that the panel is for permanent positions so you could be appointed in the positions (that they are advertising now) but if it is to do with Brexit and it finishes up you get moved to within the revenue not let go.

Ah damn! I'm kicking myself that I didn't select Dublin as one of my choices. I would have jumped at this. This is an ideal opportunity to fast track yourself into the public sector than waiting ages for a desk position. Plus, I assume that you'd get extra money with it being shift work!? Do you think that there would be any of these positions or similar in the 2021 CO competition?

Advertisement