Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭L390

job seeker wrote: »
    Ah damn! I'm kicking myself that I didn't select Dublin as one of my choices. I would have jumped at this. This is an ideal opportunity to fast track yourself into the public sector than waiting ages for a desk position. Plus, I assume that you'd get extra money with it being shift work!? Do you think that there would be any of these positions or similar in the 2021 CO competition?

Why dont you email PAS and see if they can put you forward for it

L390 wrote: »
    Sis In law did it ..it was 4am starts and other early starts .....custom checks at ports ...she's now in office in revenue ...

Do you know whether your sister in law enjoyed the position? Was she working there long before she moved to an office position? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Why dont you email PAS and see if they can put you forward for it

That's actually a great idea. I didn't even consider that! I will have a look for an email address and go from there! Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Icbaby

Ah damn! I'm kicking myself that I didn't select Dublin as one of my choices. I would have jumped at this. This is an ideal opportunity to fast track yourself into the public sector than waiting ages for a desk position. Plus, I assume that you'd get extra money with it being shift work!? Do you think that there would be any of these positions or similar in the 2021 CO competition?

They come up Frequently. I missed out by 2 places in 2016 (closed at 23 and I was 25 I think) and in 2018 panel i expressed interest in revenue when the email went out and went in that way so that I didn’t miss out again. Mine wasn’t on the road or shift work it was a desk job but I enjoy it :)

Icbaby wrote: »
    They come up Frequently. I missed out by 2 places in 2016 (closed at 23 and I was 25 I think) and in 2018 panel i expressed interest in revenue when the email went out and went in that way so that I didn’t miss out again. Mine wasn’t on the road or shift work it was a desk job but I enjoy it :)

Ah very good! Fair play! I am just so desperate to get into the civil service I'd do anything! :p

• Advertisement

yupder wrote: »
    Do you know whether your sister in law enjoyed the position? Was she working there long before she moved to an office position? Thanks.

She loved it but the early wet starts were not nice ....she was 4 years in the position....think they move you after that time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Anyone know how Wexford and Waterford are progressing.

She loved it but the early wet starts were not nice ....she was 4 years in the position....think they move you after that time

So is it just dublin port or where there other ports? Why would you need a cat B licence? I am a bit lost there.. Thanks.

So is it just dublin port or where there other ports? Why would you need a cat B licence? I am a bit lost there.. Thanks.

No idea about the licence I will find out ..as far as I remember it was mostly dublin port . Again I will find out more for you ....

No idea about the licence I will find out ..as far as I remember it was mostly dublin port . Again I will find out more for you ....

Cheers! Thank you for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 rcrell1

Does anyone know what the starting salary is... does it differ from dept / role etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

rcrell1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the starting salary is... does it differ from dept / role etc

24,104 (461.96) – 25,681 (492.18) – 26,083 (499.85) – 26,864 (514.83) – 28,017 (536.93) – 29,167 (558.99) – 30,319 (581.05) – 31,157 (597.11) – 32,105 (615.29) – 33,209 (636.43) – 33,986 (651.32) – 35,078 (672.24) – 36,162 (693.04) – 37,855 (725.48) – LSI 1 39,186 (750.99) – LSI 2 39,796 (762.68)

You generally start at point 1 on the scale so 24,104. What can happen is shift allowance of 10-25% in certain roles.

That's actually a great idea. I didn't even consider that! I will have a look for an email address and go from there! Thanks! :)

Ok, so I emailed and it is not possible to be transferred to another region after applications have close. Which is totally understandable. Plus there will be always next year sure! :)
    I am also a firm believer in 'what's for you, won't pass you!'. So it's just not meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Calathea

Just a FYI for Galway candidates. I emailed PAS this morning and they are still at No 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EO2019

Anyone know how Wexford and Waterford are progressing.

Still at 10 waterford 5 Wexford when I checked 2 weeks ago. Let me know if you get an update better than this.

EO2019 wrote: »
    Still at 10 waterford 5 Wexford when I checked 2 weeks ago. Let me know if you get an update better than this.

Will do. Thanks for info

Just got word that a position in revenue office customs cleric work has become availabile. I have to apply by tomorrow. Anyone knows what the position entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

I was just wondering, does anyone know the pay frequency for Clerical? As in, if it is weekly / monthley etc?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 13 I wonder why?

netbeatz wrote:
    I was just wondering, does anyone know the pay frequency for Clerical? As in, if it is weekly / monthley etc?

Weekly (Fridays) for Clerical officers. Fortnightly for executive officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Weekly (Fridays) for Clerical officers. Fortnightly for executive officers.

Thanks for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EO2019

Just got word that a position in revenue office customs cleric work has become availabile. I have to apply by tomorrow. Anyone knows what the position entails.

Wonder how many positions there are. Anyone from the Dublin expression of interest hear anything back?

EO2019 wrote: »
    Wonder how many positions there are. Anyone from the Dublin expression of interest hear anything back?

I applied on Tuesday, haven't heard anything back yet. The deadline was Wednesday so might be a bit longer until we do hear anything back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Did anyone who got a message about the Irish post (the message asking you to email your own grade according the the european/Europass(?) Self assessment framework) to the clerical office email get a response when they sent in an email before last Monday?

I sent an email straight away but left out my applicant number, and sent a follow up email 45 minutes outside the cutoff (Monday 12 o clock August 24) clarifying this and appending my applicant number (which they provided in the message on public jobs).

Might this affect my candidacy? Did anyone receive a response when sending in the email? I didn't for either of mine.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Calathea

Gumbi wrote: »
    Did anyone who got a message about the Irish post (the message asking you to email your own grade according the the european/Europass(?) Self assessment framework) to the clerical office email get a response when they sent in an email before last Monday?

I sent an email straight away but left out my applicant number, and sent a follow up email 45 minutes outside the cutoff (Monday 12 o clock August 24) clarifying this and appending my applicant number (which they provided in the message on public jobs).

Might this affect my candidacy? Did anyone receive a response when sending in the email? I didn't for either of mine.

Regards.
    I replied to same email, didn't get a response. I wouldn't be too worried about omitting your number in first email, so long as you followed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kittyc2018

It’s more than likely in the Trade Facilitation Unit which deals with good entering Ireland from 3rd counties i.e countries outside the EU. The work consists of checking paperwork and ensuring goods are properly classified so that the correct duty can be paid on them.

It’s not enforcement looking for drugs etc and the majority of the work is office based. It’s a 24/7 roster with a shift allowance paid as far as I know

kittyc2018 wrote: »
    It’s more than likely in the Trade Facilitation Unit which deals with good entering Ireland from 3rd counties i.e countries outside the EU. The work consists of checking paperwork and ensuring goods are properly classified so that the correct duty can be paid on them.

It’s not enforcement looking for drugs etc and the majority of the work is office based. It’s a 24/7 roster with a shift allowance paid as far as I know

The customs officer position I applied for required a driver's licence and said the work would entail both inside and outside work. Would you have any idea what area this work would be in? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kittyc2018

yupder wrote: »
    The customs officer position I applied for required a driver's licence and said the work would entail both inside and outside work. Would you have any idea what area this work would be in? Thanks.

No matter what dept in customs you need a drivers licence.

The positions are more than likely for Trade Facilitation as they are preparing for Brexit and while the work is mostly office based there is also outside work involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Inmate2020

How long from “ you are assigned position x “ to an email from HR department . How long does it normally take untill you actually start ? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Calathea wrote: »
    I replied to same email, didn't get a response. I wouldn't be too worried about omitting your number in first email, so long as you followed up.

Brilliant. I included all relevant information in the follow-up email too. I figure, due to there being no auto response that the emails are being manually sorted, thus the time limit was probably not a hard number.

Thanks for the response, hopefully I get a follow-up. My order of merit for the general clerical officer is not near the top, I likely have a better chance in this aspect.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

How did you hear about this? Did you select Dublin in the original clerical officer competition?

Advertisement