Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Big_Baner

tiny14 wrote: »
    Has anyone got recent update on limerick or tipp? Thanks in advance and congrats to people who have passed interviews & ones that got placed

Give them an e-mail at CO2020@publicjobs.ie. They’re quite quick to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭tiny14

Big_Baner wrote: »
    Give them an e-mail at CO2020@publicjobs.ie. They’re quite quick to respond.

I did only couple weeks ago so dont want them to think im annoying them thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭claregal1

I did only couple weeks ago so dont want them to think im annoying them thanks for the reply

I'll send them an email - I'm also waiting on Limerick , I'll keep you posted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

Update for Donegal/Sligo candidates

Donegal OOM 3
    Sligo OOM 57

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EO2019

Anyone hear anything further since expressing interest in customs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭claregal1

Has anyone got recent update on limerick or tipp? Thanks in advance and congrats to people who have passed interviews & ones that got placed

Hi , I emailed this morning - 19 have been called so far for Limerick :)

EO2019 wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything further since expressing interest in customs?

I got an email yesterday to complete an application and a date for a video interview in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭tiny14

claregal1 wrote: »
    I'll send them an email - I'm also waiting on Limerick , I'll keep you posted :)

Thanks very much there wasnt much movement last time!! I got just over 100 in limerick an mid 70’s for tipp and was hoping to at least get interview but with all thats going on who nos what will happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

carolluke1 wrote: »
    OOM number 30 was interviewed this morning for Westmeath, I would imagine you have a great chance of interview in the not to distant future. I am one of the soon to be retirees in Westmeath, and from what I hear, I not not the only one.;)

Thanks for the update. Keeping my eye in on behalf of my wife who's trying to get into the service. She's in the 40's for westmeath. I'm already in thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RemzRoller

How long before you hear anything after you've been interviewed? Friend was placed in the single digits for OOM this week after being interviewed last week. I believe they were in the 400s on the original OOM for Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chats2020

Hi guys, I’m hoping someone will have experience with my predicament. I have been offered a position from the 2020 campaign, but I need to pass the clearance process , which involves some paperwork , Garda vetting & a reference to cover the last 12 months which means my current employer. I have been told to get a reference from my Current HR Department or consider myself withdrawn from the campaign. I have not been told which dept the position will be in and my problem is my current employer has no idea I have been looking for work elsewhere as I have not made my final decision on what to do. Anyone else face this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RemzRoller

Chats2020 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I’m hoping someone will have experience with my predicament. I have been offered a position from the 2020 campaign, but I need to pass the clearance process , which involves some paperwork , Garda vetting & a reference to cover the last 12 months which means my current employer. I have been told to get a reference from my Current HR Department or consider myself withdrawn from the campaign. I have not been told which dept the position will be in and my problem is my current employer has no idea I have been looking for work elsewhere as I have not made my final decision on what to do. Anyone else face this?

Pehaps you could ask your employer for a reference but tell them it's for a new house/apartment rental. They should provide a suitable reference with no issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Well the garda vetting etc is your own business. In previous years they would ask for written references and just call your current employer after they made an offer and you accepted.

Did they ask you for a written reference or did they specify they want it from your current employer??

RemzRoller wrote: »
    Pehaps you could ask your employer for a reference but tell them it's for a new house/apartment rental. They should provide a suitable reference with no issues?

They want the contact email of someone in my HR dept so they can email a form that will need to be filled out by my HR. I have no idea what the form will have on it but you can be sure it will have PAS on it somewhere and the email address of the sender will expose all. There seems to be no way round it. The reference will not go through me at all.

Well the garda vetting etc is your own business. In previous years they would ask for written references and just call your current employer after they made an offer and you accepted.

Did they ask you for a written reference or did they specify they want it from your current employer??

They have actually specified my current HR dept and it will be done via email, they will email my HR with a form to be filled in. I have not seen any offer and will not until I pass this part of the clearance they have made that very clear. I have tried explaining my situation , but they won’t budge on it. And then what happens if you expose yourself to your current employer and PAS withdraw the offer, I could end up with no job. It’s possibly one of the worst positions I have been put in employment wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Guffy

I guess you haven't resigned yet, ya it may be uncomfortable for a bit, but you haven't given notice and i don't think your employer can sack you for requesting a reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,036 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Guffy wrote: »
    i don't think your employer can sack you for requesting a reference.

If you are there less than 12 months, they can fail your probation.

If you are there less than 2 years, they can make you redundant at no cost to themselves.

In any case, you have highlighted to them that you are looking around, and are thus not loyal to them. So you can forget about training, promotions, getting rostered for the favourable shifts, whatever else.

They have actually specified my current HR dept and it will be done via email, they will email my HR with a form to be filled in. I have not seen any offer and will not until I pass this part of the clearance they have made that very clear. I have tried explaining my situation , but they won’t budge on it. And then what happens if you expose yourself to your current employer and PAS withdraw the offer, I could end up with no job. It’s possibly one of the worst positions I have been put in employment wise.

Are you public or private sector?

If private, I think you should ring PAS on monday and ask to speak to the campaign manager.

PAS often ask for a current employer details in advance but they don't usually call/email your current employer until everything else is completed and only with the candidates' permission.

In any event, they can't insist on contacting your current employer for reference without an offer of employment (sure what if you were unemployed). Explain your situation to the campaign manager and ask can you give an alternative reference for the moment or ask them not to contact your current employer until you are offered a position.

From the sound of your previous comment, I think you've misunderstood something. Literally 100's of people go through this process every year and I haven't heard of any cases going sideway.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

Hi Mike, I am currently in the private sector. I have been given a deadline of Monday morning at 10 am to supply the reference details and if I don’t I will be withdrawn from the campaign. I have tried ringing PAS. They are not answering/taking any calls and when I asked the person emailing me if I could ring to speak with someone, I was told it’s email only as everyone is working remotely and they are not receiving or making calls. So basically the person dealing with my application is the only one I can talk to and that person is very unhelpful.

I know you think I may have confused myself somewhere in the process but I can assure you this person has made it this difficult. You see, I was initially asked for a reference to complete the clearance process , dated within the last 12 months & I was told a manager in my place of work would be fine to give the reference. I then explained my situation , that I have no manager within my office , only 2 colleagues, we all work as a team , & next in line to that for a reference is the owner of the company or the HR Dept. I explained how they are not aware of my looking elsewhere for employment and I would rather keep it quiet until I get a placement offer and make a decision. After explaining this I received and email back stating that they “understood the difficulty but it is essential to the process” to get a reference & it can’t be from a colleague. Unless I supply the details of my reference (which can only be HR at this stage) I really don’t know what else I can do without risking my current position. I have never heard of this happening anyone else.

In fairness the person is only going by the rules laid down to them. You would have been notified first of all to say your place was reached and where you interested in position. You said yes and now they require references for current employment or statement that you were unemployed to cover the period to issue offer. Either you want the CO job or you don't. Not PAS problem whether you want you boss to know or not I'm afraid. Contracts are always issued after references.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

Chats2020

I understand your situation as have been in similar myself.
    Was under consideration had to give a reference but it took the issuing body at least another month to get the contract to me so I felt like I was in limbo. My employer knew I was planning to leave as the reference had been given but I couldn't hand notice in until I had sight of the contract.

The terms of the contract are as outlined on the initial info booklet all that changes is the department. If you have confirmation of where you are being placed that's all you will get, after that it's supply the reference or you won't be getting the job.

Unless the reference Check fails the job is yours. Is that what you are concerned about?

• Advertisement

Hi Chats2020,

I kinda have to agree with Doc22, you said you'd rather keep it quite until you get a placement offer and make a decision - As far as I'm aware with the new format, they call candidates to interview for specific vacancies. They must have asked if you were willing to accept an offer in your chosen location before interview and said yes.

Unless you have reason to believe that you won't pass the garda vetting, I think its time to decide.

Reference Checks

Before being deemed suitable for appointment to a position, the PAS must be satisfied in respect of character and prior work performance, if any, of a candidate. In order to do so, the PAS will arrange to conduct reference checks.

Should you be successful at interview, the PAS will require a reference from your current employer (if any) and will notify you before contacting same.

Should you have any gaps in your employment over the last 12 months, PAS may request you to provide evidence from the Office of the Revenue Commissioners and/or Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection. Information on how to obtain this evidence will be provided should you come under consideration for a postion.

Additionally, you will be required to provide a character reference. A character reference must be from someone well acquainted (but not related) to you e.g. School/ University/Volunteer Group/Sports Club. This may not include members of the House of the Oireachtas or members of An Garda Síochána.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Icbaby

I was the same but to be honest if you’ve passed your interview and you know you will pass Garda Vetting and your reference then your job offer will stand. What you need to ask yourself is if your willing to take whatever they offer you to get yourself into public service. They must have told you whereabouts your being placed. For me I loved my previous job and wasn’t sure what to do and then they needed my reference before my vetting was backed and I panicked in case something went wrong (I’ve never been in trouble in my life) but it’s the uncertainty of telling your job before you have a contract. I did do it and it all worked out fine. Also I found PAS to be amazing to alleviate my fears. They are not trying to jam anyone up, just prepping everything to be ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Persoanlly I would just go ahead and see how it plays out. But it wouldn't effect my sleep or anything as I couldn't see PAS looking for a reference if you were'nt going to be offered it. Also, does people not come and go from your job? Leaving a job is never anything personal and you've got to do what's right for you at the end of the day. I don't know what you work at either. But a job in the public sector would be better than 99% of job when you consider it's benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BB2020

Hi all
    I am lokking for some advice if i may
    I am stating in dublin port at the end of the month and was just wondering if anyone on here has experience of working down there some of the work is outside .
    Are you provided with a uniform or work boots for this role and in general what would be the dress code for a clerical officer sorry if it seems a stupid question but its hardly a full suit & tie number ?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

BB2020 wrote: »
    Hi all
    I am lokking for some advice if i may
    I am stating in dublin port at the end of the month and was just wondering if anyone on here has experience of working down there some of the work is outside .
    Are you provided with a uniform or work boots for this role and in general what would be the dress code for a clerical officer sorry if it seems a stupid question but its hardly a full suit & tie number ?
    Thanks in advance

Ask HR but I'd agree with above

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Blanchguy

Jeans/slacks and a polo shirt would make you a well dressed CO. Things to avoid would be football tops etc.

doc22 wrote: »
    Ask HR but I'd agree with above

Yep have sent a mail with a few queries just waiting on a replay
    Any way looking forward to getting started

Blanchguy wrote: »
    Jeans/slacks and a polo shirt would make you a well dressed CO. Things to avoid would be football tops etc.

Thank you sir

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭newbie18892

Blanchguy wrote: »

Depends on where you work I suppose. My friend is a CO and she isn't allowed wear jeans/trainers/t-shirts. Has to be professional slacks or skirt and a blouse/dress. She isn't even allowed wear nail polish or dye her hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 rcrell1

Hi just had an interview last Friday. They told me I would hear back within 2 weeks. Just wondering what’s format does it take now. If successful are you placed on another panel. Are you given an OOM number based on your interview. How soon would one commence work etc if successful etc. thanks in advance

Advertisement