Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I found the booklet online the starting pay seemed to have increased since the start of the process. Can't figure out what pension contributions are and what it entitles me to.. also it says in booklet a typical working week could be 43hrs and 15 mins. Is this correct

Flexi time has been described above, however not everyone gets flexi. Standard CS hours are 09:00 - 17:45 Mon - Thurs, 09:00 - 17:15 Fri with 1 hour 15 minutes for lunch. Frankly the standard hours suck, luckily I think the majority of COs are on flexi but I'm open to correction there. The 43hrs and 15mins includes breaks.

Starting pay has increased 2% as of 1st October.

Pension contributions were very small IIRC.

You also skip points 4 and 8 on the increments and go directly to 5 and 9 respectively due to an agreement over pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Blanchguy wrote: »
    https://www.gov.ie/en/policy-information/a97614-public-service-pensions/?referrer=/en/pensions/

As a very rough guide, after 40 years you get a pension of half your average career salary, less the old age pension. (I think).

The working weeks is typically 37 hours at your desk. You must take a minimum of 30 minutes for lunch.
    Thanks for info. I'm 47 so probably wouldn't build up much of a pension

Thanks for info. I'm 47 so probably wouldn't build up much of a pension

You can buy extra pension benefits, no idea of the return on investment though, sorry.

Thanks for help. I think if I'm offered I'll take it. Especially in current climate where you could lose your job any minute

A side note . Any advice for interview. What to wear. Suit, shirt and tie or justsmart casual. Any ideas what they ask. Is it a pre recorded one or live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Guffy

A side note . Any advice for interview. What to wear. Suit, shirt and tie or justsmart casual. Any ideas what they ask. Is it a pre recorded one or live.

Smart casual is fine, i wore a shirt, no tie, and a pair of shorts :D

Edit,
    Male Interviewer wore a tie, so might do no harm to wear one i guess.

Civil Service is still pretty old fashioned. Suited and booted does no harm unless you're very uncomfortable or it's ill-fitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Madilynn Disgusting Sprint

rcrell1 wrote: »
    Are the increments based on time scale ie after 6 months / one year pay scale goes up to the next band

Once a year - and you get minor little increments/pay restoration during the year - got an 8 euro or so increase last week as part of the Croke park or whatever it was called deal - you get made permanent if you pass probation which is after one year - depending where you work you get periodical performance review meetings with your superior - usually quarterly - i got mine halfway through the year and got made permanent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Madilynn Disgusting Sprint

Flexi time has been described above, however not everyone gets flexi. Standard CS hours are 09:00 - 17:45 Mon - Thurs, 09:00 - 17:15 Fri with 1 hour 15 minutes for lunch. Frankly the standard hours suck, luckily I think the majority of COs are on flexi but I'm open to correction there. The 43hrs and 15mins includes breaks.

Starting pay has increased 2% as of 1st October.

Pension contributions were very small IIRC.

You also skip points 4 and 8 on the increments and go directly to 5 and 9 respectively due to an agreement over pay.

just browsing - does that happen automatically or do you have to enquire about it..going to point 4 soon - thats the job - is it a massive jump from 3 to 5

just browsing - does that happen automatically or do you have to enquire about it..going to point 4 soon - thats the job - is it a massive jump from 3 to 5

Not sure I'm afraid. Worth checking with shared services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 little mrs

I've just hit point 4 and I contacted HR to check as there was a lot of office speculation as to whether it was true or not. HR said I go from point 3 to point 4.for about a month or 6 weeks and then I get bumped up to point 5 with back pay for the 4 - 6 weeks. Don't know why there's a delay in bumping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭JUSTsomeBLOKE!

Hi does anyone have an update of the numbers called in Sligo? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Paul2020

I'm 34 years of age....am I too old to be thinking of joining the Civil Services as a CO? My current salary is near 40K.
    I applied for EO but didnt get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ladz

Paul2020 wrote: »
    I'm 34 years of age....am I too old to be thinking of joining the Civil Services as a CO? My current salary is near 40K.

If you're ambitious absolutely not, but you will take a huge hit initially. Depends if you're willing to work your up the grades to the higher scales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Paul2020 wrote: »

Your salary will drop for sure but you'll have flexi time and the opportunities for further advancement will be easier by being in the service than outside of it. I joined the civil service at 36. No regrets so far. In fact, I think the life experience of being in the private sector before coming in here has been a real positive for me. I learned how to work by being in the private sector. Now as someone who's workrate is strong in the civil service, I'm making a good name for myself in my current department. Hopefully it'll translate well towards future advancements should they arise

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭niallmacsuain

I had my interview for the customs officer role on Friday. OOM in Dublin in the 1100s.

Anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back about how it went?

Edit: Scratch that, just heard back.

Passed! Batch 2, OOM in the 50s. So I'll probably be a while before I hear anything, if I do?

I had my interview for the customs officer role on Friday. OOM in Dublin in the 1100s.

Anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back about how it went?

Edit: Scratch that, just heard back.

Passed! Batch 2, OOM in the 50s. So I'll probably be a while before I hear anything, if I do?

My results are the same as yours, was in the 1100s and now I'm Batch 2, OOM in the 50s.

I'm wondering too the likelihood of a position. I wonder if Batch 1 still has to be placed and how many positions there are in total. If anyone can shine some light on this I would much appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

Hi does anyone have an update of the numbers called in Sligo? Thank you

OOM 60 was what I was told on Friday. Hope that helps

yupder wrote: »
    My results are the same as yours, was in the 1100s and now I'm Batch 2, OOM in the 50s.

I'm wondering too the likelihood of a position. I wonder if Batch 1 still has to be placed and how many positions there are in total. If anyone can shine some light on this I would much appreciate it!

I'd imagine there are quite an amount of positions in total, as they seem to be still contacting people to express an interest in the role, according to a post a few pages back.

But yeah, an idea of how many in each batch would be ideal, if anyone is batch 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

I'd imagine there are quite an amount of positions in total, as they seem to be still contacting people to express an interest in the role, according to a post a few pages back.

But yeah, an idea of how many in each batch would be ideal, if anyone is batch 1?

Are the batches based on original oom? Just received a message saying I'm batch 3 and order of merit will be given by the end of the month when people who have placed higher at stage one are interviewed.

• Advertisement

Are the batches based on original oom? Just received a message saying I'm batch 3 and order of merit will be given by the end of the month when people who have placed higher at stage one are interviewed.

I don't know to be perfectly honest with you but I'd assume so. What was your original OOM?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭L390

Anyone assigned to DEASP how soon after public jobs informed you you got placed there did they tell you where you were being placed

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

If working as a CO in the dole office, is it likely that you would be placed behind the counter dealing with the general public? Or more likely to be in the background?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭newbie18892

If working as a CO in the dole office, is it likely that you would be placed behind the counter dealing with the general public? Or more likely to be in the background?

More likely to be behind the counter i would think

Yeah counter unfortunately..but you need to be trained in first

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jassgal

I was also placed in social protection but yet to find out where excatly my location will be, I really hope I'm not in an intro centre I'd rather be based in one of their office blocks but sure I will have to take what I'm giving :)

Does anyone know how long it takes for HR from your new department to get in contact once pas has placed us? I'd love a start date and my location soon

Jassgal wrote: »
    I really hope I'm not in an intro centre I'd rather be based in one of their office blocks but sure I will have to take what I'm giving :)
    Oh me too although I dont really mind dealing with the public I'd say it will be so stressful

Just had interview it was awful!! Not really the questions so dont be worried if you've one coming up, it was aaaallll me!! 🙈.

Best of luck to all, they were lovely a really nice panel just 2 of them. They tried to ease my nerves bless them!

ladz wrote: »
    Just had interview it was awful!! Not really the questions so dont be worried if you've one coming up, it was aaaallll me!! 🙈.

Best of luck to all, they were lovely a really nice panel just 2 of them. They tried to ease my nerves bless them!

Oh no ..you poor thing...dont worry you never know you might have answered what they wanted

• Advertisement

L390 wrote: »
    Oh no ..you poor thing...dont worry you never know you might have answered what they wanted

Thank you but I really dont think so, I could tell they were pushing on several qs for something but I just didn't grasp what. Never mind I did it, just glad it's over now. If anyone has any Qs, you're welcome to PM me.

Advertisement