Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭rachaelworld

People wrote to publicjobs that the 3 day timeline was too short, they had issues with their internet and they couldnt go elsewhere because of the restrictions/health reasons.

Although I had the questionaire done for the initial deadline, I actually support PAS extending the deadline on this occassion. Its not a second shot if they couldn't do it in the first place for reasons beyhond their control.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate you answering my question above and being magnanimous :)

Some of us were sick with suspected Covid and so our brains weren't working properly and combined with the distraction of trying to find someone who could deliver us food and looking after a sick partner and entertaining a new rescue dog who hasn't had a walk in 2 weeks meant that I had missed the deadline when I went to do the test because of a stupid brain fart (and I can assure you all that I could proof read your arses under the table under normal circumstances :D :P).

And it isn't a second shot, we don't get to take the test twice, relax @Guffy et al, there will be enough jobs for all of us, it is highly unlikely that you will not be taken on if you manage to pass the threshold because some others were given an extension to do the test :rolleyes:

Let's all be a little more empathetic of what others are going through right now shall we :P;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 camki

Thanks Mike, I appreciate you answering my question above and being magnanimous :)

Some of us were sick with suspected Covid and so our brains weren't working properly and combined with the distraction of trying to find someone who could deliver us food and looking after a sick partner and entertaining a new rescue dog who hasn't had a walk in 2 weeks meant that I had missed the deadline when I went to do the test because of a stupid brain fart (and I can assure you all that I could proof read your arses under the table under normal circumstances :D :P).

And it isn't a second shot, we don't get to take the test twice, relax, there will be enough jobs for all of us, it is highly unlikely that you will not be taken on if you manage to pass the threshold because some others were given an extension to do the test :rolleyes:

Let's all be a little more empathetic of what others are going through right now shall we :P;);)

I was quite ill myself. Unfortunately I pushed ahead and completed the assessment with not much recollection I must add. If I had known of their flexibility I certainly would have waited, but it is what it is now.

camki wrote: »
    I was quite ill myself. Unfortunately I pushed ahead and completed the assessment with not much recollection I must add. If I had known of their flexibility I certainly would have waited, but it is what it is now.

Oh god you poor thing :( , it is a pity they didn't think in advance that it might be worth giving a longer window given the circumstances :rolleyes:

Anyway, try not to worry, I'm sure you did fine, it is more just to check we aren't psychopaths :D, I think the interview is the more important bit really.

I hope you are feeling better now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 The Wandering Man

Guffy wrote: »
    Kinda annoyed that people who couldn't follow some basic instructions are getting a second shot at this one.

You'd wonder why certain people would apply for such a job if they can't follow a simple instruction and make a deadline, which are fundamental competencies for the role. I presume email and text notifications were sent informing people to check their Public Jobs Message Board. Dates were provided in the initial job notification also.

You'd wonder why certain people would apply for such a job if they can't follow a simple instruction and make a deadline, which are fundamental competencies for the role. I presume email and text notifications were sent informing people to check their Public Jobs Message Board. Dates were provided in the initial job notification also.

:D Passive aggressive much?! :D You'd wonder why certain people would bother their arses getting into a snot about things like that? Unlike some people I am pretty confident of my abilities and won't allow my self worth to be dented by a small (but regrettable, and yes even a tad embarrassing) slip up when I know that it isn't reflective of my abilities usually.

PS I have previously been accepted to CO and offered a position a couple of years ago but decided to take up my unconditional offer to study in university (this is my back up plan given the Covid mayhem) and have also done a couple of stints as TCO, so again, I am pretty confident of my abilities but also human and therefore not immune to making a small mistake now and again.

Anyway, good luck all :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Empathy and Understanding are also fundamental competencies for the role - Customer Service, Communication Skills and Teamwork all require them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

And it isn't a second shot, we don't get to take the test twice, relax @Guffy et al, there will be enough jobs for all of us, it is highly unlikely that you will not be taken on if you manage to pass the threshold because some others were given an extension to do the test :rolleyes:

Genuinely hope you're right when you say there will be enough jobs for all of us but I doubt it will work out like that and I would feel its a little unfair for someone applied on time to miss out to someone who didn't. (assuming they're equally qualified for the role)
    But as I said I hope you're right and we all get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

Sorry just after seeing this now. Where can one find the link for the deadline extension? I cant seem to find it on public jobs anywhere. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Sorry just after seeing this now. Where can one find the link for the deadline extension? I cant seem to find it on public jobs anywhere. Thanks.

I think (but open to correction) that the extension is only for people who got their application in before the job deadline. The extension is for the first part of the selection process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

There never should have been such a short time window in the first place given the circumstances. Not everyone has a personal laptop or internet broadband even and the test isn't necessarily accessible on all mobile devices.

Given the currently very limited options for people to access the internet i think it is completely reasonable an extension was given.

I expect PAS will also have similar issues when it comes to getting people to fill out application forms and do online interviews.

• Advertisement

Their was no extension to apply for the role, the extention is in relation to current applicants completing an online assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MCLAW

Hi all, I completed scenario stage on Monday however I've received email detailing extension. Has everyone received this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Clarkeel

MCLAW wrote: »
    Hi all, I completed scenario stage on Monday however I've received email detailing extension. Has everyone received this?

I completed the assessment over the weekend and did not get any email re an extension. If you click on original assessment link it will say it's completed if you have submitted your assessment, so maybe check that and if any issues you could contact PAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EO2019

Has the deadline been extended to 3pm or 6pm Friday?

MCLAW wrote: »

If you have already completed it, you will not receive a notification of extension.

EO2019 wrote: »
    Has the deadline been extended to 3pm or 6pm Friday?

My email said 6pm but you should have an email and or message on your PAS account

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EO2019

Not for me mine is done so I didn’t get the email. It’s for a friend who missed out. They are under a lot of pressure so hoping to make arrangements to help them get it done. Even if it’s just distracting the kids via FaceTime.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MCLAW

I just logged in and yes link says I have it completed. I emailed the support team hopefully they will shine some light on the situation.....

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭tiny14

Hi all i done fhe online one monday morning found it ok but its the scenarios that really catch me out so being honest im not expecting too much from it but really hoping for a chance of interview for a job!! I cant believe how quiet the thread is compared to the last few campaigns for the full time positions as i used to be on them!! Wondering if there is a big drop in applications this time? Good luck all be interesting to see how they conduct the interviews!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

tiny14 wrote: »
    Hi all i done fhe online one monday morning found it ok but its the scenarios that really catch me out so being honest im not expecting too much from it but really hoping for a chance of interview for a job!! I cant believe how quiet the thread is compared to the last few campaigns for the full time positions as i used to be on them!! Wondering if there is a big drop in applications this time? Good luck all be interesting to see how they conduct the interviews!!

People don't apply in big numbers when the economy is good as they can get a better wage in the private sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Ek1313

Hi Anyone knows if they doing the numerical, error checking etc this year??? or is it straight to the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

Ek1313 wrote: »
    Hi Anyone knows if they doing the numerical, error checking etc this year??? or is it straight to the interview?

Straight to interviewing..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jellab

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows.
    I'm on the temporary clerical officer panel 14th in order of merit. If I'm lucky to get on the permanent panel what way would that work if Ive already been placed in a temporary position. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

Jellab wrote: »
    I'm on the temporary clerical officer panel 14th in order of merit. If I'm lucky to get on the permanent panel what way would that work if Ive already been placed in a temporary position. Thanks

They are two completely separate panels

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sweetiesloth

Well if TCO came up first accept it and then go for your interview with CO. CO placing can sometimes take a long time but over the last year or two it seems to be moving much quicker to place people. With TCO you can give a week's notice that's all you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

This same as it would if you are in any other job, you decide to stay where you are or you offer your resignation and take up the permanent position.

Straight to interviewing..

How do we know this please, as a matter of interest? I’ve seen it said a few times but not sure where it has come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Guffy

How do we know this please, as a matter of interest? I’ve seen it said a few times but not sure where it has come from?

It would seem an inefficient process tbf, interviewing anyone and everyone that applied. Very time consuming

This same as it would if you are in any other job, you decide to stay where you are or you offer your resignation and take up the permanent position.

The various departments are well used to TCOs disappearing because they get a permanent position so there is no need to feel bad or worry about it :) Also, don’t worry about the fact that you signed a contract with a later date, I know some people get worried about that, it is fine to give a week’s notice (more if you can)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Clarkeel

It was on the booklet. The next stage after online questionnaire is interview. But I would assume that you will be called to interview based on OOM you get on questionnaire and this will be divided in different batches. So not everyone will be called to interview in April lot, it will depend on numbers that applied etc

Advertisement