Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

What position where you offered if you dont mind me asking? Just wondering in what deps they are looking for staff

Public expenditure and reform. Location would've been great too but I couldn't take the salary hit. I'd say it would've been an interesting place to work

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭newbie18892

Messi19 wrote: »
    Public expenditure and reform. Location would've been great too but I couldn't take the salary hit. I'd say it would've been an interesting place to work

Was this the salary entering at point 1 of the CO payscale?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eco22

I was contacted to give perrmission to contact my employer and was told it was the last step before I was offered the position. I explained this could be awkward but was told it was necessary. Once my employer gave the reference I got offered the position.

Congrats on the job! Did you have to wait long between your employer being contacted and the job offer?

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Eco22 wrote: »
    Congrats on the job! Did you have to wait long between your employer being contacted and the job offer?

As far as I remember my I got my assignment notice the day after my employer sent back reference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭shmeee

€471.20 p/w

shmeee wrote: »
    €471.20 p/w

Thanks. That what I thought. I wondered because the poster seemed surprised by the salary offer.

Thanks. That what I thought. I wondered because the poster seemed surprised by the salary offer.

I wasn't surprised at all. I knew the scale. I just wasn't prepared to take a 50% cut. Job at the moment is temporary but it's busy and there's no hint of being laid off in the near future. Wasn't an easy decision to have to make

Messi19 wrote: »
    I wasn't surprised at all. I knew the scale. I just wasn't prepared to take a 50% cut. Job at the moment is temporary but it's busy and there's no hint of being laid off in the near future. Wasn't an easy decision to have to make

Oh no, that's fine. I was just worried there was somehow an even lower salary than stated on the scale as it's already low enough!:pac: Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tashajulia1993

Oh no, that's fine. I was just worried there was somehow an even lower salary than stated on the scale as it's already low enough!:pac: Thanks

Its interesting to see everyone say how low of a salary it is to start on when I have worked in my current job 8 years as a full time employee for €100 less a week. For me this would be a big step up and I am so excited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭furrybones

Its interesting to see everyone say how low of a salary it is to start on when I have worked in my current job 8 years as a full time employee for €100 less a week. For me this would be a big step up and I am so excited

I agree with you. Starting out as a clerical officer in the public sector, the salary is quite a bit more than in the private sector. It's only when you reach middle/upper management levels that the private sector pays more... but then you don't have job security that comes with public sector.

It all depends on your priorities I guess. Money or job security.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 44 katiem111

furrybones wrote: »
    I agree with you. Starting out as a clerical officer in the public sector, the salary is quite a bit more than in the private sector. It's only when you reach middle/upper management levels that the private sector pays more... but then you don't have job security that comes with public sector.

It all depends on your priorities I guess. Money or job security.

True that. I left a job today, 15+ years in hospitality, to start in Housing on Monday. Longer hours for similar pay, lower pension, less flexibility, 50 minute commute compared to 5...but job security is key. With covid, my current job was precarious and I'm 56. Rural town in Mayo, other opportunities few and far between, would be mad not to take it. Onwards and upwards, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 telebingo94

loser2k12 wrote: »
    I believe they contact your references before an offer is made. Someone above said their current employer was surprised when contacted as they hadn't yet disclosed they were looking for a new job.

Do they contact 1 or 2 references of your choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Do they contact 1 or 2 references of your choice?

They only contacted my current employer

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Folks –

Before you turn down an offer in the Service - just be aware that if you have previous experience in the service - either as a perm role or as a TCO, you can bring your experience/time in the service to the attention of your new HR department. If you have 12 months or more in the service, this will help you get further up the pay scale……. I am speaking from experience here.

Don’t knock the fact you are initially starting on point one – things can move fast if you qualify.

If you are career orientated, and in a good Department, (i.e. DPER, Justice or Foreign Affairs), once you have completed you probation successfully, your progression as a civil service is well supported.

Another note – in the private sector (regardless of which company) you are not always guaranteed yearly increments, you are not guaranteed permanency, you are not always guaranteed promotion or career progression and you are not guaranteed a pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jd292190

Folks –

Before you turn down an offer in the Service - just be aware that if you have previous experience in the service - either as a perm role or as a TCO, you can bring your experience/time in the service to the attention of your new HR department. If you have 12 months or more in the service, this will help you get further up the pay scale……. I am speaking from experience here.

Don’t knock the fact you are initially starting on point one – things can move fast if you qualify.

If you are career orientated, and in a good Department, (i.e. DPER, Justice or Foreign Affairs), once you have completed you probation successfully, your progression as a civil service is well supported.

Another note – in the private sector (regardless of which company) you are not always guaranteed yearly increments, you are not guaranteed permanency, you are not always guaranteed promotion or career progression and you are not guaranteed a pension.

Agree 100% you can be stung in the private sector pretty bad, especially in these times. I know people have different commitments and financial needs but personally I would take the initial hit in order to reap the future rewards and opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Red Honeysuckle

yes.

I thought AGs was attorney General and Garda staff are under Depf of Defence?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

I thought AGs was attorney General and Garda staff are under Depf of Defence?

AGS - An Garda Siochana who are paid under the Dept of Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

yenom wrote: »
    Take it. There are some great benefits. 22 days holidays, 12 flexi days, 6 fexi half days, Good Friday off etc. Every ten years, the country goes into recession but you'll still have a job.

Hi is there a general rule or guidelines as to how flexitime works please.

I'm just trying to get an understanding of how it might work.
    Someone posted the general hours are 9am to 5:45 so for example, could you do 8am to 4:45, take half an hour lunch, so actually finish at 4:15.
    Do you have to agree your flexitime hours in advance?
    Also could you do shorter hours one day and longer hours the next day to make up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭shmeee

ellejay wrote: »

Someone posted the general hours are 9am to 5:45 so for example, could you do 8am to 4:45, take half an hour lunch, so actually finish at 4:15.
    Also could you do shorter hours one day and longer hours the next day to make up.

Different departments have different flexi rules.

You have to be in the office at set times, 10am - 12.20pm and 2.30pm to 4pm is one example of one of the offices. So you can clock in at 10am, take a 2 hour lunch and finish at 4pm.

And then work the extra hours another day to make up your 37 hours for the week.

Majority do 8am/8.30am to 4.30pm/5pm if they can, take half hour lunch. That's 8 hours and gives you 36 mins flexi then per day onto your clock.

Finish at 4pm say on a Friday and you've worked up 2 hours 24 minutes per week. The flexi week is over a 4 week period so build up the flexi time then.

Again all departments are different. Some have rota's due to covering phones, customer desks ect. But you know well in advance on them days. But worst case you may have to stay till 5pm and be in for 9am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

The Core Hours are 10am - 12.30pm and 2.30pm - 4pm. You MUST be at work during those times. You also need to take a minimum of 30 minutes Lunch Break leaving no earlier than 12.30pm and returning no later than 2.30pm.

The flexi time is worked up in Month 1 and taken in Month 2 etc. And certainly where I am working, no need to agree the time you work up in advance. But you do need to let your EO know when you are taking your flexi - if you can. Sometimes if there is an emergency you can just use flex time worked up.

Yes, you can work shorter one day and longer the next e.g. 10am to 4.30pm on a Monday, 8am - 7pm on a Tuesday etc. In that regard, it is fabulous. If you are on e.g. the School Run on a Monday you can work around that, and then play catch up with your time on a Tuesday.

As long as you work 148 hours per month, less any flexi or annual leave taken and are working for the core hours, you are fine. Because the working day is 7h24, if you work from e.g. 8am - 4pm each day and just take exactly 30 minutes lunch per day, you will have 30 minutes flexi built up each week. That is 2 hours. Work 1h42 extra one evening and you have your 1/2 day off the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

shmeee wrote: »
    Different departments have different flexi rules.

You have to be in the office at set times, 10am - 12.20pm and 2.30pm to 4pm is one example of one of the offices. So you can clock in at 10am, take a 2 hour lunch and finish at 4pm.

And then work the extra hours another day to make up your 37 hours for the week.

Majority do 8am/8.30am to 4.30pm/5pm if they can, take half hour lunch. That's 8 hours and gives you 36 mins flexi then per day onto your clock.

Finish at 4pm say on a Friday and you've worked up 2 hours 24 minutes per week. The flexi week is over a 4 week period so build up the flexi time then.

Again all departments are different. Some have rota's due to covering phones, customer desks ect. But you know well in advance on them days. But worst case you may have to stay till 5pm and be in for 9am.
    Bicyclette wrote: »
    The Core Hours are 10am - 12.30pm and 2.30pm - 4pm. You MUST be at work during those times. You also need to take a minimum of 30 minutes Lunch Break leaving no earlier than 12.30pm and returning no later than 2.30pm.

The flexi time is worked up in Month 1 and taken in Month 2 etc. And certainly where I am working, no need to agree the time you work up in advance. But you do need to let your EO know when you are taking your flexi - if you can. Sometimes if there is an emergency you can just use flex time worked up.

Yes, you can work shorter one day and longer the next e.g. 10am to 4.30pm on a Monday, 8am - 7pm on a Tuesday etc. In that regard, it is fabulous. If you are on e.g. the School Run on a Monday you can work around that, and then play catch up with your time on a Tuesday.

As long as you work 148 hours per month, less any flexi or annual leave taken and are working for the core hours, you are fine. Because the working day is 7h24, if you work from e.g. 8am - 4pm each day and just take exactly 30 minutes lunch per day, you will have 30 minutes flexi built up each week. That is 2 hours. Work 1h42 extra one evening and you have your 1/2 day off the next month.

Thanks that's really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭furrybones

If you're working remotely then flexi time is suspended right now. It really all depends on which Dept you're in and the nature of the work you're doing. You need to talk to your line manager and come to agreement around your working hours.

My own situation is that I can sign in and out on my own specified hours (within reason - no point being in work from 5am if I'm needed up to 5pm) as long as my my hours are worked each month. I typically do 8-4 with a 30 minute lunch break.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭L390

Has anyone phoned their contact person prior to starting...due to start 7th dec was going to ring them next week just to be in contact ..is this the norm or should I leave it ..just dont want.to just turn up on the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

L390 wrote: »
    Has anyone phoned their contact person prior to starting...due to start 7th dec was going to ring them next week just to be in contact ..is this the norm or should I leave it ..just dont want.to just turn up on the day

Tis no harm to give them a shout. If you want, use an enquiry about the dress code as a means of making contact :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭L390

Rikand wrote: »
    Tis no harm to give them a shout. If you want, use an enquiry about the dress code as a means of making contact :)

Yeah I was thinking that ....thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 10 happylad21

What Departments are people getting offered in Dublin at the moment?

Are you allowed to request to be transferred to a particular department that you would like to work in once your in?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 telebingo94

happylad21 wrote: »

Are you allowed to request to be transferred to a particular department that you would like to work in once your in?

As far as I know you have to work in the given department minimum 12 months before applying for a transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jd292190

happylad21 wrote: »

I’ve seen a few positions assigned in AGS, DSP and of course Customs over the past weeks on this forum. There are a lot of positions to be filled DSP apparently, I’m a TCO there at the moment and one of the HEO’s said this. They also said if you get a permanent position you are able to apply for mobility on day one. As far as I’m aware that’s re. location and department.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Jd292190 wrote: »
    I’ve seen a few positions assigned in AGS, DSP and of course Customs over the past weeks on this forum. There are a lot of positions to be filled DSP apparently, I’m a TCO there at the moment and one of the HEO’s said this. They also said if you get a permanent position you are able to apply for mobility on day one. As far as I’m aware that’s re. location and department.

You can join the waitlist but you have to do at least 2 years in your current location to be eligible for a move.

Advertisement