Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

Clarkeel wrote: »
    It was on the booklet. The next stage after online questionnaire is interview. But I would assume that you will be called to interview based on OOM you get on questionnaire and this will be divided in different batches. So not everyone will be called to interview in April lot, it will depend on numbers that applied etc

Pardon my ignorance but what does OOM mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EO2019

OOM is order of merit ie your place at each stage of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

EO2019 wrote: »
    OOM is order of merit ie your place at each stage of the competition.

Thanking you kindly ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Does anyone know what the difference between a Clerical officer and Executive assistant is? Both seem to the same level salary in the public service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the difference between a Clerical officer and Executive assistant is? Both seem to the same level salary in the public service.

I've seen jobs advertised with semi states like the IDA that are looking for executive assistants. They seem to be paying the same as c.o , so maybe its the semistate version of c.o ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,033 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've seen jobs advertised with semi states like the IDA that are looking for executive assistants. They seem to be paying the same as c.o , so maybe its the semistate version of c.o ?

People who are graded as CO may be assigned to work as executive assistants, filing officers, customer service agents, or lots of other jobs.

Some COs bit*h and moan about being asked to do executive assistant work, because it's harder than your average clerical gig and they're still paid the same. Others see it as an opportunity to develop their skills and networks for future opportunities.

Clarkeel wrote: »
    It was on the booklet. The next stage after online questionnaire is interview. But I would assume that you will be called to interview based on OOM you get on questionnaire and this will be divided in different batches. So not everyone will be called to interview in April lot, it will depend on numbers that applied etc

Not quite. The booklet says this - I added only the bold.
    Selection Process
    Candidates will be required to complete assessments which are designed to identify their potential to fulfil a clerical officer role.
    The selection methods used to select successful candidates for positions may include:
     Online Assessment Questionnaire
     Interview
     Language tests (oral and/or written) e.g. in the case of applicants for the Irish stream;
    Any other tests/exercises deemed appropriate.

Those are dot points, not a numbered list. They could choose to put any other test in to any part of the process. It seems they may have copped that the assessments they were using were poor predictors of on-job performance: I know that in other countries unions have challenged them based on validity.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redditor

Could anybody in the know confirm if I am correct in thinking that the pay scales refer to annual increments, subject to "satisfactory" performance?
    Clerical officer (PPC)
    24,104 (461.96) – 25,681 (492.18) – 26,083 (499.85) – 26,864 (514.83) – 28,017 (536.93) – 29,167 (558.99) – 30,319 (581.05) – 31,157 (597.11) – 32,105 (615.29) – 33,209 (636.43) – 33,986 (651.32) – 35,078 (672.24) – 36,162 (693.04) – 37,855 (725.48) – LSI 1 39,186 (750.99) – LSI 2 39,796 (762.68)

So for example, after 5 years you'd be on €29,167 and €33,986 after 10? I have assumed the 6 months probation is included in the calculation.

And LSI 1 kicks in after 3 years at the previous scale (15 years service in total) and LSI 2 6 years after that? (21 years total)

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I think they are now skipping years 5 and 8, so you move up that bit quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Redditor wrote: »
    Could anybody in the know confirm if I am correct in thinking that the pay scales refer to annual increments, subject to "satisfactory" performance?

So for example, after 5 years you'd be on €29,167 and €33,986 after 10? I have assumed the 6 months probation is included in the calculation.

And LSI 1 kicks in after 3 years at the previous scale (15 years service in total) and LSI 2 6 years after that? (21 years total)

Thanks very much.

Yes, they are annual incremental increases. They are subject to a number of factors including satisfactory performance and sick leave days taken etc but generally yes you start on Point 1, Year 2 = point 2 and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

You are confusing Executive Assistant with Executive Officer. There is no Executive Assistant grade in the Civil Service. There are however Executive Officers. Executive Officer is one grade above CO.

The original query was with regard to the grade of Executive Assistant.

People who are graded as CO may be assigned to work as executive assistants, filing officers, customer service agents, or lots of other jobs.

Some COs bit*h and moan about being asked to do executive assistant work, because it's harder than your average clerical gig and they're still paid the same. Others see it as an opportunity to develop their skills and networks for future opportunities.

Not quite. The booklet says this - I added only the bold.

Those are dot points, not a numbered list. They could choose to put any other test in to any part of the process. It seems they may have copped that the assessments they were using were poor predictors of on-job performance: I know that in other countries unions have challenged them based on validity.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much.

12 months probation ( used to be 24 months)
    Typically a Clerical Officer, in their first year and still on probation, will be have about 379 euro per week in their pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redditor

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    12 months probation ( used to be 24 months)

Thanks. I imagine if you can't survive the probation period in the civil service, you really shouldn't be in the job anyways.

Thanks. I imagine if you can't survive the probation period in the civil service, you really shouldn't be in the job anyways.

Ah, the probation is nothing really. Just do the job and try not to
    a) set fire to the building,
    b) start an affair with your HEO's wife/husband/child
    c) arrive at work drunk.

366 days later, you can throw caution to the winds!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭natc

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I think they are now skipping years 5 and 8, so you move up that bit quicker.

Point 4 and point 8 on scale are now skipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,033 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Divisadero wrote: »
    You are confusing Executive Assistant with Executive Officer. There is no Executive Assistant grade in the Civil Service. There are however Executive Officers. Executive Officer is one grade above CO.

The original query was with regard to the grade of Executive Assistant.

Nope, not even slightly confused.

The query said:
    jaffa20 wrote: »

There is no such grade as Executive Assistant.

Some semi-state bodies, and even some state ones, choose to be honest and advertise for a specific job, eg executive assistant to the chief whatever-jobber, along with a statement that this position will be appointed on the clerical officer scale.

Others just warn during their clerical officer panel recruitment process that appointees may be assigned to a range of duties, including acting as a PA or EA to a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Universities such as UCC (which are regarded as Public service) use the grade title of Executive Assistant across their admin sections. But this is a Civil Service competition.

https://www.ucc.ie/en/media/support/hr/paysbenefits/SalaryScalesJanuary2020Revised.pdf

https://www.ucc.ie/en/hr/promotions/adminpromo/

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Is is not €408 a week after tax? Or are you taking out a pension contribution?

Realisitically, what are the chances of working your way up to the Executive Officer rank in the space of 12 months? Whats the story with the higher scale being offered too? Is that for people who entered civil service before a certain date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I think the external E.O campaign was last year so, your options would be an internal campaign. Anyone know whens the next internal E.O campaign is?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Ollie321

I thought you had to be a CO for two years before applying for any internal competitions??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭tringle

Realisitically, what are the chances of working your way up to the Executive Officer rank in the space of 12 months? Whats the story with the higher scale being offered too? Is that for people who entered civil service before a certain date?
    You cant work your way up. You have to apply for the open competition or internal one when available.

• Advertisement

Nope, not €408 after tax, well, not for me anyway.
    The figure I quoted is how much hits my bank account weekly.

Working your way up to EO in 12 months? Nope, no chance of that either.
    Your probation lasts 12 months, and until that's up you can't apply for anything , not even to attend any of the available training courses.
    Now, if you had applied for the open EO competition, you might get it while already working as a probationary CO, but if you did that would be a stroke of luck really.
    The internal EO interviews just completed in my office building, were extremely tough.
    HEO's were surprised at their level of "combative questioning" and said even they would have struggled with the questions about the competencies and expierence.
    Then they threw in a few about current affairs, Brexit, what direction you expected worldwide interest rates to go etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

Open competitions - anyone can apply for these. They are advertised every two years normally. Another one was due to be advertised within the next month or two. Not sure what the situation is now.

Interdepartmental - these run in conjunction with the open competitions and you need to be two years in the civil service to apply.

Internal - these are run individually by departments so can't say when they will happen for definite. Need two years service though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

I think the external E.O campaign was last year so, your options would be an internal campaign. Anyone know whens the next internal E.O campaign is?

August 2020 according to this post..

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057898103/264/#post113000844

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

You don't work your way up, you need to get promoted via campaign same as this one. I did it in around a year but only because I applied to the open Eo around the time I applied for the Co. Next open EO is due toward the end of this year I believe. And you can't apply to any internal or interdepartmental campaigns until you have completed 2 years service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Before tax, It's about €470 a week for year one and after 16 years, the top of the scale is about €750 a week.

I'm on CO scale number 7 and I get €473 after tax.

The EO scales are about €10,000 more a year. EOs get paid fortnightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

How much you take home depends on a number of factors, including if you are married (if so, how much they earn or if they are unemployed matters) or have children under 18 or in college, if you are a single parent, if you pay maintenance, if you, your paretner or a dependant has medical expenses, if you are responsible for an elderly or disabled relative, if you get the bus to work, if you bought a bike to cycle to work, if you have to wear a uniform to work and many other factors.

The base salary is 24,104, the mandatory pension contribution is 3% or 723 in this case. That leaves you getting paid 23,381. Do a search for "tax calculator Ireland 2020" and input 23,381 as your annual salary. Some actually ask for the original figure and then you enter your pension contribution so if it does that use 24,104 and 3%.

Someone asked about higher scales. The higher scale is promotion that has to be applied for like applying to any other job and is awarded for showing that you perform to a higher level than 70% of your colleagues. There are some departments that give the higher scale automatically to the 30% who have been working the longest but they are switching over to applications instead.

So take home after tax is €408 after tax for first year COs?

zorro2566 wrote: »
    So take home after tax is €408 after tax for first year COs?

No. I haven't checked but that could be the take home for someone who is single, has no children, lives alone, doesn't use public transport or cycle, doesn't wear a uniform.

GarIT wrote: »
    No. I haven't checked but that could be the take home for someone who is single, has no children, lives alone, doesn't use public transport or cycle, doesn't wear a uniform.

Ok, I’m married with wife working and two children with my own car!

• Advertisement

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Ok, I’m married with wife working and two children with my own car!

How much if any tax credits your wife has left over could have an impact, or the other way around, if you have any tax credits left your wife could use them, or if you were unemployed and your wife was using your tax credits and higher rate extension she may earn less.

You car will have 0 affect, you would pay less tax if you were buying annual taxsaver bus tickets or bought a bike through work.

Your kids might have an impact, especially if you are paying college fees or medical expenses for them.

Put your details into a tax calculator for 2020, your employer pension contribtion is 0% your contribution is 3%.

Just note too, some office don't have parking, some have limited parking and it can be awarded based on seniority, a waiting list, a raffle, applying weekly for a permit, or probably some other ways, some have ample parking but that's rare.

Advertisement