Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sineadglam

Anyone start in Customs in Dublin recently know what the typical shifts are or how long garda clearance takes?

Shifts are 24/7 - 3 shifts of 8 hours Mon - Sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ricksanchez

Called for interview in Dublin in January. Would have loved to get it done before Christmas but oh well.

Anyone been there who's got some interview tips? Would absolutely make this last miserable year out of work worth it if I could get in..

• Registered Users Posts: 49 telebingo94

Called for interview in Dublin in January. Would have loved to get it done before Christmas but oh well.

Anyone been there who's got some interview tips? Would absolutely make this last miserable year out of work worth it if I could get in..

They asked me what I think the difference is working in the public sector versus private. And they also asked some examples of my use of Microsoft office, excel and word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭shmeee

Customs

In Tipperary?

*you quoted a post about Tipp / Limerick OOM so presumed you were on about them areas. You are actually on about the Custom positions as per Dublin above so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Know your competencies and have examples of each. Use the STAR method.

https://www.themuse.com/advice/star-interview-method (just the first result on google).

Same applies to more senior positions so it's a good habit to get into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tashajulia1993

Also give examples of how gdpr and data protection is important because it's a huge part of working in the civil service, it will be competency based, example- gove one example of when you used good customer service skills and then bad customer service skills, but all questions are based off the competencies of a clerical officer. If you need more info private message me, I had my interview November 11th and csnt imagine it being too different.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 condubh

Donegal still only at OOM 15 in case anyone’s wondering

Shame, im in mid 30s but think I’m just gonna have to write it off this time

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭tiny14

shmeee wrote: »
    In what department?

Ps. Tipp is moving faster than Limerick I know alright but no OOM figures to hand.

I no last time i was on weeks ago tipp 37 & limerick 19

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DundalkFan86

Hi what number are they on Dublin thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tashajulia1993

Hi what number are they on Dublin thanks

Batch 16 OOM 16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Gaffer78

Abacus234 wrote: »
    I've been offered the Revenue Solicitors office in Dublin castle. Anyone know what kind of work I could be doing as a CO?

Putting case files together, lots of photo copying and general clerical duties such as phone calls, sending emails etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Danny2020

I'm going to be assigned to the Courts Service and they require additional Security Clearance. Anyone know how long will this take? and what kind of work I could be doing ?

Danny2020 wrote: »
    I'm going to be assigned to the Courts Service and they require additional Security Clearance. Anyone know how long will this take? and what kind of work I could be doing ?

Could take months I'm afraid, but some have come back quicker (a few weeks). It really depends on whos desk it lands on and whether you've lived for six months in Timbuktu.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭loser2k12

I also had to complete this as I'm to be assigned to the Department of Justice apparently and I sent mine back on 24th November and still waiting so I'm assuming it'll be in the new year I'll get an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tomjmsn

Could take months I'm afraid, but some have come back quicker (a few weeks). It really depends on whos desk it lands on and whether you've lived for six months in Timbuktu.

I'm worried about this aspect. Of the past five years I've spent four in China in the other (most recent) in the UK. I'd hate to get through the entire process and fall at the final hurdle.

tomjmsn wrote: »
    I'm worried about this aspect. Of the past five years I've spent four in China in the other (most recent) in the UK. I'd hate to get through the entire process and fall at the final hurdle.

AFAIK getting stuff from China isn't an issue, IF you're willing to pay the entity that looks after the requests and my understanding is it isn't cheap. UK won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tomjmsn

AFAIK getting stuff from China isn't an issue, IF you're willing to pay the entity that looks after the requests and my understanding is it isn't cheap. UK won't be an issue.

Any idea how much we're talking?

I'd probably pay it - I already paid the Public Security Bureau in China when I left for a disclosure of non-criminal record but all I have is a lousy affidavit. I doubt that would be worth anything for the purposes of this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eco22

My vetting for AGS took 20 weeks from July to November. I have lived in a few different countries so that probably slowed things up but once it was cleared I have my start date within 2 days

tomjmsn wrote: »
    Any idea how much we're talking?

I'd probably pay it - I already paid the Public Security Bureau in China when I left for a disclosure of non-criminal record but all I have is a lousy affidavit. I doubt that would be worth anything for the purposes of this process.

Not sure, heard the figure of about €800 being bandied about but maybe that was you're post re the no criminal record. Worth giving the vetting bureau a call and explaining the situation and see if they have any advice. 1890 488488

What is the process of applying to move/ transfer to another department having worked in current one for 12 months?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

What is the process of applying to move/ transfer to another department having worked in current one for 12 months?

You need 2 years done to be eligible for mobility.

You need 2 years done to be eligible for mobility.

Thanks, was just curious. I got offered a position in the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration & Youth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rebecca4410

I got offered a position in the Department of Education and Skills ☺️ Does anyone know what it’s like there? Or any tips for starting as I’m quite nervous!!

Thanks Samuel 🙂

Thanks Samuel !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Aine1981

Thanks, was just curious. I got offered a position in the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration & Youth :)
    The dept of children has taken new functions from justice and education. They are expanding their portfolio. I think that you might be joining at an interesting time. Best of luck and I hope you are happy in your role.

Aine1981 wrote: »
    The dept of children has taken new functions from justice and education. They are expanding their portfolio. I think that you might be joining at an interesting time. Best of luck and I hope you are happy in your role.

Thank you Aine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I got offered a position in the Department of Education and Skills ☺️ Does anyone know what it’s like there? Or any tips for starting as I’m quite nervous!!

Which county/location are you starting ? Athlone is a grand spot. Some of the payroll sections can be a little bit frustrating but otherwise fine. You won't be doing any of the frustrating stuff for a few months anyways :)

Dont worry about anything. Dont be stressing. There's absolutely no need for it. Everyone in the civil service is super nice. You'll be grand :D

Rikand wrote: »
    Which county/location are you starting ? Athlone is a grand spot. Some of the payroll sections can be a little bit frustrating but otherwise fine. You won't be doing any of the frustrating stuff for a few months anyways :)

Dont worry about anything. Dont be stressing. There's absolutely no need for it. Everyone in the civil service is super nice. You'll be grand :D

Are most assignments work from home now, do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Are most assignments work from home now, do you know?
    My wife started in there recently and she was told she'll be in the office indefinitely. I think new starters at least at CO level are guaranteed to be in the office most of the time. The rest more or less work from home unless theres a reason they need to be in there.

Advertisement