Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭I am me123

ari101 wrote: »
    This is included for legal reasons. Contracts of indefinite duration have legal rights similar to permanent contracts. If someone is on a temp contract with no specified end date, this language prevents them from claiming it is a contract of indefinite duration and should continue. (This is separate to the time length after which, regardless of specified end date, I believe all temp/fixed contracts automatically become CIDs. I don't remember the specifics of the amount of time but it is a couple of years.).

An end date to my contract wasn't specifed. It was clearly stated that the post was temporary in my job offer & that it 'could not result in a contract of indefinite duration'.
    From other posters, I gather I got work as promised for the 8 weeks as I was originally guaranteed, unfortunately my contract wasnt renewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 Sadie_cakes

I placed oom 40’s batch 16 and was contacted about clearance/vetting on wed and they asked for permission to contact reference the next day. Just wondering how long it usually takes to find out the dept I’m being considered for?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 katiem111

Hi, got perm CO in Nov. Turn up and find out have been assigned to Facilities Management. Long story short, I'm doing Service Officers work covering hols and sick leave, non clerical shift work, and my duties include checking hand sanitisers, fire extinguishers and making sure all the windows are closed at lock up. I can't afford to rock the boat but this seems like gross misrepresentation to me. Everyone is WFH, so have no-one to talk to, am disheartened at the prospect of doing this for at least the next 22 months. Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

katiem111 wrote: »
    Hi, got perm CO in Nov. Turn up and find out have been assigned to Facilities Management. Long story short, I'm doing Service Officers work covering hols and sick leave, non clerical shift work, and my duties include checking hand sanitisers, fire extinguishers and making sure all the windows are closed at lock up. I can't afford to rock the boat but this seems like gross misrepresentation to me. Everyone is WFH, so have no-one to talk to, am disheartened at the prospect of doing this for at least the next 22 months. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mis-representation? The job may be called "clerical officer" but there's no promise of clerical work, you may be assigned to a wide range of duties. May people would be delighted to have a job like yours, rather than being glued to a desk reviewing social welfare claims, or stuck in a filing room for the whole week.

Use the time to learn everything you can about what happens from your office, and to build as many relationships as possible with people in teams you'd like to be assigned to. (WFH won't last forever.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Everyone is WFH, so have no-one to talk to, am disheartened at the prospect of doing this for at least the next 22 months. Any advice would be much appreciated.

could be worse, I'm still sitting on a panel thats barely moved in last 12 months, unable to get anywhere near a start. On the bright side, At least your in the door and can apply to all the internal competitions in a year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

Service officer work on clerical scale is a win

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dublinfan2020

Does anyone know the OOM for Dublin for interview stage

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭newbie18892

Does anyone know the OOM for Dublin for interview stage

They told me last week that they had interviewed up to OOM 1173.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ricksanchez

They told me last week that they had interviewed up to OOM 1173.

I'm curious why they're still interviewing. Like, they have at least 19 batches that I know of and they're currently on batch 16. Supposedly the campaign ends in May.

Do they really need to keep interviewing when there's so many per batch waiting to be placed? Either way, I hope it's a good sign they're still adding to them, but maybe it's just the done thing?

Mis-representation? The job may be called "clerical officer" but there's no promise of clerical work, you may be assigned to a wide range of duties. May people would be delighted to have a job like yours, rather than being glued to a desk reviewing social welfare claims, or stuck in a filing room for the whole week.

Use the time to learn everything you can about what happens from your office, and to build as many relationships as possible with people in teams you'd like to be assigned to. (WFH won't last forever.)

The role of a Clerical Officer includes providing comprehensive general administrative and clerical support to a section or department. Clerical Officers works as part of a team to meet work goals and objectives and to deliver quality services to internal and external customers.

Perhaps I misunderstood the role.

The building has been empty since I started. I have met no-one, and am unlikely to do so for many months, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

could be worse, I'm still sitting on a panel thats barely moved in last 12 months, unable to get anywhere near a start. On the bright side, At least your in the door and can apply to all the internal competitions in a year or so.

Hi, yes, I do appreciate I'm lucky to have a job. I applied in 2018 but didn't make it, so was delighted to get through this time. Have been looking forward to this since March, just a disappointment that its not at all what I expected. Will just have to suck it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Hi, yes, I do appreciate I'm lucky to have a job. I applied in 2018 but didn't make it, so was delighted to get through this time. Have been looking forward to this since March, just a disappointment that its not at all what I expected. Will just have to suck it up!

Try not to overthink it, it won't be like that forever. To be fair to you it's not easy starting ANY job under the circumstances, where you don't have someone with experience to bounce off or just company. Most people apply thinking of a 9-5 role so the shift-work must have come as a great surprise too.

People be kind ;)

doc22 wrote: »
    Service officer work on clerical scale is a win

You may be right but I didn't apply for a Service Officer position. I don't want to get up at 5am, or get home at 8pm. I could have got those hours working in my local service station.

Try not to overthink it, it won't be like that forever. To be fair to you it's not easy starting ANY job under the circumstances, where you don't have someone with experience to bounce off or just company. Most people apply thinking of a 9-5 role so the shift-work must have come as a great surprise too.

People be kind ;)

Thanks, feeling a bit sorry for myself. Distinct lack of sympathy for my tale of woe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

If your building is locked up, sounds like their just trying to give people something/ anything to do until things reopen and get back to normal. Sure it will work itself out over time

If your building is locked up, sounds like their just trying to give people something/ anything to do until things reopen and get back to normal. Sure it will work itself out over time

You're probably right. All feeling a bit surreal at the moment, for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 Sadie_cakes

Thanks, feeling a bit sorry for myself. Distinct lack of sympathy for my tale of woe :D

I’d probably be disappointed too as that’s not what I’d be expecting from the role either.. You’re in now though and that’s the main thing, things can only get better!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

I think you're dead right to have a gripe, I personally wouldn't join the Civil Service if it meant I was doing shift work

Has anyone else received an "Expression of Interest" message for Customs Officer? I don't have a drivers licence so I can't apply - do I just ignore it? I don't want to do anything to jeopardise my position on the existing panel...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 allysangel

For anybody interested in Galway , they are at OOM 34 now (it was OOM 27 on the 6th October when I last checked )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭newbie18892

I've just been invited to interview for Dublin. So glad that they've finally reached my place. This forum has been great for interview advice so I feel confident about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Has anyone else received an "Expression of Interest" message for Customs Officer? I don't have a drivers licence so I can't apply - do I just ignore it? I don't want to do anything to jeopardise my position on the existing panel...

Just ignore it and you keep your place on the main panel, I know someone who already did same.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bangors85

Does anyone know what interviews are like ?? Are they hard or easy ?? Has anyone ever failed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 EamonS84

Hey I'm sure it's been answered before but has anyone heard anything about movement in Limerick or Nenagh Revenue departments? Or has anyone any inside information as to when they intend on calling people? I understand the climate we are in but I have heard that there have been retirements so surely those positions will need to be filled

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ahem123

Hi All, I know the answer to this question is somewhere on this thread but I can't find it.

Question is, after you turn down the offer to express an interest in the customs job, how long before you might get called for interview for the other CO jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ricksanchez

bangors85 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what interviews are like ?? Are they hard or easy ?? Has anyone ever failed ?

The interview is fine, all competency based which they'll have sent you a list of if you got invited to interview. Give an example of A, B, C type thing. I'm sure people have failed but I don't see any mention of it in this thread.
    Ahem123 wrote: »
    Hi All, I know the answer to this question is somewhere on this thread but I can't find it.

Question is, after you turn down the offer to express an interest in the customs job, how long before you might get called for interview for the other CO jobs?

Have you done the general CO interview already? I got the customs expression of interest email ages ago, turned it down as don't drive, got my interview at the start of this month for the regular CO panel. AFAIK it doesn't really affect anything if you turn it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Tippman24

EamonS84 wrote: »
    Hey I'm sure it's been answered before but has anyone heard anything about movement in Limerick or Nenagh Revenue departments? Or has anyone any inside information as to when they intend on calling people? I understand the climate we are in but I have heard that there have been retirements so surely those positions will need to be filled
    Problem with the Revenue offices is that the Collector generals In Limerick and the Tax Office are both basically closed up with staff mainly working from home. I was talking to somebody who works in River House who has not been in Office since last March. A problem exists in that regard in bringing in new staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭shmeee

EamonS84 wrote: »

Majority are WFH, training has as good as stalled since last March too. The offices are nearly empty! Most Revenue training is given in a class based environment in groups.

There is a heap of retirements in every department in the Country, this is to do with the big recruitment drive in the late 70's / 80's and they are all due to retire around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭abbeybella

bangors85 wrote: »

The important thing to remember is the interviewers want you to do well and pass. They will cut you short if you are answering some questions however don't think of this as a bad sign it just means they have enough information and are moving the interview along. Know the competencies inside out and have examples of different situations e.g dealing with a difficult colleague. They want to see how you will perform in difficult situations.Good luck hope this helps😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Jd292190

Anyone know how long it takes for you to be contacted by the department you’ve been assigned to? I was notified on Friday by PAS of the department I’ve been assigned to and given details of a HR contact there. PAS said they “would contact me shortly” but no word just yet. Am I just being impatient or would they normally contact you quite soon after you’re told what department it is?

Advertisement