Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Just saw this on BBC website:
    …apart from Belarus
    Bizarrely though, one country is carrying on as normal.

The new season started as planned in Belarus last weekend. This weekend features a local derby in Minsk, and BATE visiting Slavia-Mozyr.

"Uefa made it clear that it's up to the Football Associations of the corresponding countries to take the decision and the decision of our FA is to continue," Belarus Football Federation press officer Aleksandr Aleinik told BBC World Service.

"We had three football players who were suspected with this illness but no positive tests so far. We did consider holding matches behind closed doors but there were cases when fans still came and they gathered round the stadium, so it's not really thought of as a good measure. You either stop or you continue playing."

Anyone got a stream?

I can see myself rooting for Shakhtyor Soligorsk this year. Always been a fan since their Maxim Tsyhalka/Sergey Nikiforenko/Andrey Milevsky days of the early 2000's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

8-10 wrote: »
    Just saw this on BBC website:

Anyone got a stream?

I can see myself rooting for Shakhtyor Soligorsk this year. Always been a fan since their Maxim Tsyhalka/Sergey Nikiforenko/Andrey Milevsky days of the early 2000's

If you use Acestream you can get Belarus 5 on there. You'll find the acestream URL for it on Google. They show half the games and Sport 1 Russia show the others.

I've been watching some games and the standard isn't very good. LOI 1st Division level played on plastic pitches in most games. I don't mind though.

There was a lad in the stands playing an accordion during the Isloch/Neman game last Saturday. :pac:

https://streamable.com/fhteg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How are sky not all over that? Surely it cant be that expensive?

I really thought we'd see a huge amount of Esports being shown by now tbh. Last week I figured theyd be swinging in to action and organising tournaments all over the shop to broadcast.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Apparently Paddy Power and co. are offering odds on the Belarusian league games. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Zaph wrote: »
    Apparently Paddy Power and co. are offering odds on the Belarusian league games. :rolleyes:

Why wouldn't they? I'd be surprised if they didn't offer odds. That's what they do.

Pre Covid 19, they probably did too.
    Football in every part of the world can be gambled on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ITV4 are showing the Euro 96 England games and the final, so that'll keep some amused knowing how England lost the semi final while ITV Hub will be showing every match. Starts in May. The BBC could do worse than dig out the 2008 tournie which has some great games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Paddy Power offer odds on Junior ball in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

ITV4 are showing the Euro 96 England games and the final, so that'll keep some amused knowing how England lost the semi final while ITV Hub will be showing every match. Starts in May. The BBC could do worse than dig out the 2008 tournie which has some great games.

The Croatia/Turkey quarter was epic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

An increasing number of Premier League clubs are are in Karren Brady is in favour of cancelling the remainder of the season, it has emerged.

Representatives of all 20 top-flight teams agreed last week the priority is to conclude the season in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak, even if it means playing games behind closed doors.

Hmmmm

https://twitter.com/Chris78Williams/status/1243524003991617536

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-season-still-course-21769517
    The Premier League season is still on course to be completed despite suggestions that some top flight chairman want it voided.

The majority of clubs are understood to be in favour of pressing ahead and the issue will be discussed further at a shareholder’s meeting next week.

The issue is one of several on the agenda at the usual gathering, set to take place next Friday.

The expectation is to get the season renewed as and when it is safe to do so.

Games played behind closed doors will also be discussed although concerns around the need for medical staff for each fixture will also be addressed with NHS staff continuing to face challenging conditions.

All clubs are believed to have left last week’s meeting agreed that the 2019/20 should be played to a finish once football is able to.

and finally the Shop Steward.

https://twitter.com/GNev2/status/1243792727164280834

Just spotted BBC Red Button is showing Croatia v England 2004 3 PM KO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Just spotted BBC Red Button is showing Croatia v England 2004 3 PM KO

I was at that game. A burgeoning Wayne Rooney lighting up the tournament. Broke his foot couple games later. What might have been?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Can anyone remember the link to pause Sky Sports on Virgin Media? The link was posted a few days ago but I can't find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Italy say resuming any football in early May is very very unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

FitzShane wrote: »
    Can anyone remember the link to pause Sky Sports on Virgin Media? The link was posted a few days ago but I can't find it.

https://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/sports/pause?DCMP=ilc-ROI:ec_pause_sports

That's the link for Sky customers. He's looking for a link for VM curlstomers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

That's the link for Sky customers. He's looking for a link for VM curlstomers.

When you sign into my virgin media there's a page with Covid-19 info. One of the drop downs is how is my sky sports subscription affected and there's a request form contained within.

Probably useless to post a link given that you have to sign in first

• Advertisement

howiya wrote: »
    When you sign into my virgin media there's a apge with Covid-19 info. One of the drop downs is how is my sky sports subscription affected and there's a request form contained within.

Probably useless to post a link given that you have to sign in first

Got it from there. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Harry Kane announces that the current season should be scrapped...as Liverpool 'win' the title for the first time in decades and his team phenomenally under-achieve again, being the perpetual bottlers they are. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Well, that certainly contradicts the "If the league isn't finished by June 30th, UEFA will take control of the Premier League and cancel the rest of it" idea being pushed here a few posts back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Harry Kane, Rio Ferdinand and other prominent football figures on social media, should be using their position to tell people to stay in or keep their distance etc, instead of talking about voiding the season.

*I don't do social media, so apologies if they are doing stuff like that. I only see what is posted here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Harry Kane, Rio Ferdinand and other prominent football figures on social media, should be using their position to tell people to stay in or keep their distance etc,

Like Jack Grealish...

• Advertisement

Like Jack Grealish...

Fair play to him.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Fair play to him.

Woooosh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Juve not going accept title if season is void.

Respect and they know more important things in life

Ha! The same Juve who still claim the 2 titles that were stripped from them due to the Calciopoli scandal.

Ha! The same Juve who still claim the 2 titles that were stripped from them due to the Calciopoli scandal.

But sure everyone deserves a second chance. :cool:

History is forgotten for so many it should be same here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

That's different from us as they haven't won it yet. I'm not going to accept next year's academy award if this is still ongoing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Reports on the news that they expect it to be six months before Britain is back to normal.

Might be football in December if that's the case.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    That's different from us as they haven't won it yet.

When did ye (I assume you mean Liverpool) win it? Last time I checked ye needed 2 more wins ?

Any link to this?

As anything I see online is just claims that Juventus fans won't accept title, and those reports are only going on social media posts. Nothing mentioning a club decision.

6 months is End September/October. Pre season and all that so ya winter football is best bet.

Woooosh

No, not really. I know what he's alleged to have done. Still though, if he's using his social media presence to pass out a good message, fair play to him.

It's a case of "do what I say, not as I do" :)

Any link to this?

As anything I see online is just claims that Juventus fans won't accept title, and those reports are only going on social media posts. Nothing mentioning a club decision.

The fans get what they want in Italy. They say, they do

Not saying thats right or wrong btw.

But fair play to them in this case

The fans get what they want in Italy. They say, they do

Not saying thats right or wrong btw.

But fair play to them in this case

So there's no source of what you said originally - that Juventus, the club, will not be accepting the title if the season is finished now.

Just more speculation online based on what some Juventus fan said on social media.

Cleared that up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Restarting in 6 months ruins two seasons so best to get the 75% one completed first.

So there's no source of what you said originally - that Juventus, the club, will not be accepting the title if the season is finished now.

Just more speculation online based on what some Juventus fan said on social media.

Cleared that up then.

We will see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That's a really scummy thing to type.

Of course they are only one point ahead of Napoli so not in anyway comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

noodler wrote: »

Think you mean Lazio not Napoli.

We will see

That's not what you said though. You said it was decided, not may happen in the future. Nice change there.

Anything can happen in the future.

noodler wrote: »

Desperate times call for desperate approach I see from yourself.

Lazio fans give big wave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

noodler wrote:

Your use of the English language is exceptional.

I say fair play to their fans. It's not a title earned on the field. Only fools would accept a title without having actually mathematically won it.

They (Juventus) are top of the league so of course it's comparable. 1 point v 22 points. It doesn't matter. They're both top

Not that when the leagues are desolved (null & void) it won't make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

brinty wrote: »
    Your use of the English language is exceptional.

I say fair play to their fans. It's not a title earned on the field. Only fools would accept a title without having actually mathematically won it.

They (Juventus) are top of the league so of course it's comparable. 1 point v 22 points. It doesn't matter. They're both top

Not that when the leagues are desolved (null & void) it won't make a difference.

:eek: brinty! You had the inside track all along and you're only letting us know now?

Forgot to mention actually that Liverpool are 25 points ahead, not 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I had to google desolved because I wasn't sure it was a real word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

fyfe79 wrote:
    Forgot to mention actually that Liverpool are 25 points ahead, not 22.

City have a game in hand which they'll win, it's 22 ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

brinty wrote: »
    City have a game in hand which they'll win, it's 22 ;).

Ah right, so that one single unplayed game, from which you've extrapolated the result, has an importance but none of the other 9 games for, say, Liverpool are important. Nor can you extrapolate any results from them.

Got it.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I had to google desolved because I wasn't sure it was a real word.

I think it means not solving. Makey uppy solution!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement